Menu

Loose leaf tea?

ajfries

I'd kind of like to start drinking tea. I drink coffee as it is--heavily flavored coffee about 2 cups a day. Tea would be less expensive & offer more variety, I think. I just don't know what kind of teas to try first. Any suggestions? What are your favorites? Also, I'd probably have to order online (Teavana? Adagio?) since I can't seem to find it any where local.

I start every morning with Irish Breakfast tea with a teaspoon of sugar and a splash of milk. I just used the Trader Joe's tea bags. I HAVE an abundant selection and lots of paraphanelia, so I enjoy lots of better quality teas throughout the day, but my old, cheap standby makes me happy too.

There's no harm in starting with a grocery store variety pack so you know what basic flavors to spend real money on.

Teavana won't save you any money -- ( :001_smile: ) -- but it is a most excellent line of teas!  (I buy from a local Teavana store.) 

I would take some time to look up tea varieties on the Internet, and decide what couple of types you would like to try first. 

The Republic of Tea is another good brand. 

Stash is a perennial favorite of many.

Standard grocery stores often sell Celestial Seasonings or Twinings, both companies of which sell good, basic teas for starting out.  I would avoid Lipton, store brands, or other "cheap" teas.  They are so different an animal, to use the verbiage, you might even be turned away from giving good tea a chance. 

What kind of flavour do you mean about your coffee preference: like, really strong coffee-ness, or like 'Irish creamy hazelnut'?

If you mean strong/bitter coffee, there are done very dark strong teas you might enjoy. If you mean extraneous flavour, try a tea in that flavour type.

Try: one or two 'reguar' tea blends, possibly a decaf, one or two tea+fruit flavour, one of two tea+spice or nutty flavour, and maybe a fruit-alone, herbal or green one just to add variety. Order very small packages of lots of kinds online and try to get enough to hit a free-shipping threshold. After that, you will know what you like.

Oh, get a good cup-size immersion tea filter with very fine mesh, not a cheap-o 'tea ball' or something like that. Or, get a tea strainer (fine mesh!) and be prepared to rinse the leaves from the pot instead.

Oh, get a good cup-size immersion tea filter with very fine mesh, not a cheap-o 'tea ball' or something like that. Or, get a tea strainer (fine mesh!) and be prepared to rinse the leaves from the pot instead.

Here is what I purchased from Target, and use a LOT: 

http://bodum.bodum.com/us/en-us/shop/detail/K11239-01/

I'll never use one of those "tea balls" again!  (They constrict the expanding leaves.) 

My brother owns a loose leaf tea company! It's called The Emperor's Tea and it is super delicious. He has like 150+ flavors to choose from, owns his own tea farm in Vietnam. I think it's reasonably priced (this week he has a special where you get Very Berry Rooibos--a delicious tea for a "beginner"--50 servings for $10).

Oh, and definitely skip the tea ball. I have an IngenuiTea infuser and it is awesome.

My brother owns a loose leaf tea company! It's called The Emperor's Tea and it is super delicious. He has like 150+ flavors to choose from, owns his own tea farm in Vietnam. I think it's reasonably priced (this week he has a special where you get Very Berry Rooibos--a delicious tea for a "beginner"--50 servings for $10).

Oh, and definitely skip the tea ball. I have an IngenuiTea infuser and it is awesome.

His prices are comparable to other tea companies. I will have to try it out. :)

I'd kind of like to start drinking tea. I drink coffee as it is--heavily flavored coffee about 2 cups a day. Tea would be less expensive & offer more variety, I think. I just don't know what kind of teas to try first. Any suggestions? What are your favorites? Also, I'd probably have to order online (Teavana? Adagio?) since I can't seem to find it any where local.

You might be able to find Lipton Loose Leaf tea in your local grocery store. Surprisingly, it is as tasty as the more expensive loose-leaf teas, and way less expensive.

If not, look for Twinings. Some grocery stores carry it; if there's a Cost Plus or Whole Foods in your community, you might be able to find it there. If not, you will surely be able to find it on-line, and it's not pricey.

I like black teas--English or Irish Breakfast, Darjeeling, Orange Pekoe (which is really just a "regular" tea); many people like Earl Grey tea, which has a distinctive flavor because of the added bergamom (sp?), but I can only drink it occasionally. :-) I think there's a Scottish breakfast tea, and some other random black teas that are just...tea.

My favorite on-line source is Glenbrook Farms.

You might be able to find Lipton Loose Leaf tea in your local grocery store. Surprisingly, it is as tasty as the more expensive loose-leaf teas, and way less expensive.

If not, look for Twinings. Some grocery stores carry it; if there's a Cost Plus or Whole Foods in your community, you might be able to find it there. If not, you will surely be able to find it on-line, and it's not pricey.

I like black teas--English or Irish Breakfast, Darjeeling, Orange Pekoe (which is really just a "regular" tea); many people like Earl Grey tea, which has a distinctive flavor because of the added bergamom (sp?), but I can only drink it occasionally. :-) I think there's a Scottish breakfast tea, and some other random black teas that are just...tea.

My favorite on-line source is Glenbrook Farms.

I don't think they are comparable unless one is *very* fond of orange pekoe. It is certainly acceptable to me in a pinch but I don't think it is as tasty.  I have had twinnings teas that I have liked (I like Irish breakfast) and I like the orange bergamot from Stash. It has more bergamot than Earl Grey. Some people don't like the bergamot but I love it.

My favorite on-line source is Glenbrook Farms.

I'm a bit of a tea snob, but I adore Twinings Irish breakfast tea.

Harney and son makes some really good flavored black teas. Dh and my mother like their hot cinnamon spice. I like the Indian spice. It is their version of chai.

I change my answer from 'start small' to 'just drop $300 on this appliance :-)

Thank you for this. I've been looking for an auto start tea maker for a few years. I'm glad there is finally one on the market. Although I wonder about those moving parts.

ETA: I should have stayed off the Williams-Sonoma website. I'll let y'all know how those moving parts do over the next six months or so.

My apologies to the OP, but I have a compulsion for posting a picture of my tea stuff on every tea thread. The appliance is a water boiler. It's ready for me in the morning and stands ready all day. Over the summer, I had a new student in my kitchen. She laughingly told me she'd never seen one of those in a white person's house. She'd also never seen one with the button's labeled in English.

339A4FF2-132B-44F3-9F78-CC4B37684A28-207

Thank you for this. I've been looking for an auto start tea maker for a few years. I'm glad there is finally one on the market. Although I wonder about those moving parts.

ETA: I should have stayed off the Williams-Sonoma website. I'll let y'all know how those moving parts do over the next six months or so.

Wow, THAT was fast. I made latkes last week because someone started a potato pancake thread, but my potatoes weren't $300! I'm a little in awe of you right now :-)

Wow, THAT was fast. I made latkes last week because someone started a potato pancake thread, but my potatoes weren't $300! I'm a little in awe of you right now :-)

LOL

I'd been looking for a new branded Visa card. That little button that said "apply now" just called me. And the thing is on sale with free shipping. The time was right. But I think dh might have to keep that card for me. After all, it is for Williams-Sonoma. I drool over everything on that website.

Art of Tea! I tried it recently at a cute shop and just placed an order online. Prices are WAY cheaper than Teavana AND organic (Teavana is definitely not organic). After reading some shady stuff about Teavana, I won't buy from them.

Funny enough, I also love the tea from Aveda (yes, the hair product place). It's pricey but delicious - licorice and cinnamon!!

I'm a tea (drink) addict!

I have several cups of tea each day.  I just made a 15oz mug of Stash Double Spice Chai with a splash of cream.

At any given time I choose from over 40 different teas.  I have a tea rack that hangs on the inside of my pantry door-- I keep my current to 20 favorites there.  I have a tea drawer that holds another 20 or so.  I've overflowed my collection into an upper cabinet as well.  I have black, green, white, rooibos and assorted herbals.  I only drink caffienated tees in the morning and herbals only after 5pm (or I won't sleep!).

I have a hot water dispenser-- LOVE that thing.  There are a few tea types that I need slightly hotter water for-- so I just mic that water for a few seconds. 

I use disposable tea bags for my loose teas (I use a tea clip to keep the bag closed). 

I will occasionally drink iced tea--but never make it just for myself.  At restuarants I order unsweet-- at home I make a sweet tea (not as sweet as southern sweet tea though).

To sweeten my tea I use stevia and a tsp of sugar.  I either use a splash of  half-n-half or my current favorite (Coffeemate Natural Bliss Vanilla) in my black teas.

My my mug collection takes up a 5ft tall upper cabinet and the cabinet over my cooktop... I have 3 different sizes of tea pots on my counter (but I rarely use them).

When company comes I like to get out my 'blooming teas' and my glass tea pot for after-dinner...

The only type of tea DH likes is not appropriate to talk about in public :blush: 

Enjoying Tea is another website. If you try green tea, you might ask for samples first. I like green tea, but it takes me a day or two to get used to the flavor if I change to a new variety, more so than when I switch varieties of black tea. I like gunpowder green tea the best. My coffee drinking husband was lured into the tea world with Numi Earl Grey. Where we live, you can find it in fussy grocery stores but also in Kroger (healthy section). It's not cheap. Hubby loves strong coffee, and he likes his tea strong, but not steeped for long (it can get bitter). I tend to leave all the goodies in for a long time, and it doesn't bother me at all. For loose leaf tea, I have a stainless steel French press from IKEA (looks like a teapot).

KungFuPanda,

I have the same machine and we think it hikes up the electric bill a lot.  Have you noticed that?  I loved using it to have hot water ready whenever as I am happy to have hot tea all day long in the winter.

My apologies to the OP, but I have a compulsion for posting a picture of my tea stuff on every tea thread. The appliance is a water boiler. It's ready for me in the morning and stands ready all day. Over the summer, I had a new student in my kitchen. She laughingly told me she'd never seen one of those in a white person's house. She'd also never seen one with the button's labeled in English.

Art of Tea! I tried it recently at a cute shop and just placed an order online. Prices are WAY cheaper than Teavana AND organic (Teavana is definitely not organic). After reading some shady stuff about Teavana, I won't buy from them.

Funny enough, I also love the tea from Aveda (yes, the hair product place). It's pricey but delicious - licorice and cinnamon!!

A good friend has been a styler for Aveda for a long time, and while she would cut my hair at home, I loved going to the shop so I could get some delicious tea while waiting. Then she just bought some tea for a gift, it's so good!

I have that same sugar/creamer, but in cobalt blue. :-)

Haven't decided if I want to spend that much money on an appliance for boiling water. My electric tea kettle boils one cup of water in less than a minute...I can live with that, lol.

Now THAT is cute.

KungFuPanda,

I have the same machine and we think it hikes up the electric bill a lot. Have you noticed that? I loved using it to have hot water ready whenever as I am happy to have hot tea all day long in the winter.

If I noticed, I'd pretend I didn't. It's been in constant use for about 7 years. We do sleep it at night . . . when we remember.

I have that same sugar/creamer, but in cobalt blue. :-)

Haven't decided if I want to spend that much money on an appliance for boiling water. My electric tea kettle boils one cup of water in less than a minute...I can live with that, lol.

I only use my electric kettle when someone drains the water boiler and doesn't refill it. We've got 4 people making tea throughout the day and evening, so it does earn it's keep. My electric kettle doesn't have a temp setting, but my friend has one tat does.

Thanks for the insight (and for sharing all those cool gadgets--which I'm going to pretend I didn't see).

Oh-and I like my coffee sweet. As in, "I think I'll have some coffee with my caramel."

Do you all drink different kinds of teas throughout the day? Is that pretty typical? I think the whole tea thing just sounds so nice....

Thanks for the insight (and for sharing all those cool gadgets--which I'm going to pretend I didn't see).

Oh-and I like my coffee sweet. As in, "I think I'll have some coffee with my caramel."

Do you all drink different kinds of teas throughout the day? Is that pretty typical? I think the whole tea thing just sounds so nice....

I just drink my basic black tea. I add something for sweetener (right now, that's honey for me) and cream. And I limit my hot tea to a cup in the morning and a cup in the evening. The calories from the honey and cream could really add up during the day, lol.

Back in the day when I used tea bags, I might have had different kinds of tea more often, but loose tea brewed in a pot or in a cup tastes better than tea bags, so I just stick with my good black tea. :-) Once in awhile I'll buy a flavored black tea; Glenbrook Farms has a most tasty hazelnut tea, and a rose-flavored tea, so I experimented with adding hazelnut syrup, and rose flavoring, and those are SO good, so sometimes I'll do that.

I never heat water in the microwave for my tea. It does NOT taste the same. And it doesn't stay hot as long. I cannot prove that, but I am convinced of it. And water from a hot water dispenser is not hot enough for my tea. The water *must* boil. I can tell the difference. :-)

I never heat water in the microwave for me tea. It does NOT taste the same. And it doesn't stay hot as long. I cannot prove that, but I am convinced of it. And water from a hot water dispenser is not hot enough for my tea. The water *must* boil. I can tell the difference. :-)

I agree, I don't like microwaving the water.

How do you know when your water is at the right temp for the different teas? Do you just use it just before it boils?

That's too much thinking for me.

I drink black tea. When the water boils, it's hot enough. I pour it over the tea infuser into the mug/tea pot, let it steep for 4 minutes, take out the tea infuser, and call it a day.

I used to buy my tea at a place called Teegschwendner (Tee-gu-SCHWIND-ner) and was THRILLED to find out I can buy it online!  This is my all time favorite tea, but I only drink it in the morning.  I put Agave nectar in my tea, and sometimes cream, depending on my mood.  If I want more during the day, I drink green teas, with a touch of Agave nectar.  If I'm feeling really indulgent, I drink white tea, but it's quite pricey.

I have an electronic kettle that allows you to set the temp you want the water.  For black teas, it should boil and for greens and whites it should be around 170 degrees.   

If I'm out, and have to use tea bags, I prefer Twinings.  Their English B'fast and Irish B'fast are quite good.  I do not drink Earl Gray or Lady Gray tea, because I absolutely hate oil of Bergamot.  Blech.

Love the attention to detail here :D

How do you know when your water is at the right temp for the different teas? Do you just use it just before it boils?

I use a digital thermometer that is er...it is a probe thermometer that I use for things in the oven. :lol: I boil my water then let it cool to the temp I want. I only do it for green and white tea. I do drink a lot of Oolong and black tea, boiling is fine for those.

Please all tea snobs, check out Upton Tea Imports.  I love the selection, quality, and taste of  2. TA40: Tippy Orthodox GFOP Assam

A whole-leaf Assam with golden tips (young leaf buds). Characteristic maltiness and complex flavor. This is our most popular Assa...

www.uptontea.com

TA40-@PRE.gif

They have a large variety of different grades. I don't think I could excuse getting super spendy tea but some of the reasonable ones sound good.

I have had mine for 2.5 years and I still LOVE it! It gets almost daily use and still performs beautifully. Before I bought this machine, I was convinced I didn't like green tea because it was always bitter. Turns out I was overheating the water. This gadget makes it dummy-proof to brew all types of tea. :tongue_smilie:

When I am off coffee, my favorite thing is being able to set it up to go on automatically in the morning, just like you do with coffee.

Jenna, as others have said, you can find loose tea at Whole Foods and Sprouts (I think) that you can buy in bulk. So you could just make up little sample size baggies. But the cool thing about the bulk tea is that the smell gives a pretty good hint of the flavor, and you can sniff before you bag. :leaving: