Menu

Do your kids get sad when they finish a book series?

Mom in High Heels

Indy finished the last book in The Kane Chronicles series (Rick Riordan) and is suffering a bout of depression!  He loved those books and has been moping around the house for days.  I totally get it, as I've been sad when I finished a good book (or series), but do other kids do this too?  

The next set of books he was going to start on were the Seven Wonders books, but only 2 of them are out yet, so I'm thinking maybe we'll wait on those and start on Heroes of Olympus since there are 4 of those out and RR is pretty good about cranking them out.  Indy would really like to read more books with the Egyptian pantheon, but I can't find any.  Does anyone know of any?

Not so much series, but there have been a few books. DD the Elder wept when she finished The Neverending Story because she would never be able to read it for the first time again.

(Fixed title... don't know what the heck I was thinking....)

I'm strange because I grieve before I read the last book in the series.  I cried when I received the last book in a Wheel of Time series.   I'd been reading the series for twenty plus years.  I couldn't touch it at first.  The thought of reading it made me too sad.

I'm strange because I grieve before I read the last book in the series.  I cried when I received the last book in a Wheel of Time series.   I'd been reading the series for twenty plus years.  I couldn't touch it at first.  The thought of reading it made me too sad.

I waited a few months to read the last WoT book as well. :( 

Penderwick series 

When I read this thread title, I immediately thought about the Penderwick books.  So far, there are only 3 books in the series, but they are so charming that my daughter and I are always sad when we have to say good-bye to the characters until we meet them again.  We re-read the series once a year and we share our happiness and tears. 

Oh absolutely! Dd gets very emotional about her books, her characters, and her shows.

From my dd's pinterest page:

0893fc59bc43d25efcbbe4c3733dbd15.jpg

ff11c3956b2a083dcd225cabd901ee1a.jpg

Caption: I think I'm ready now.

And this girl I think may be dd's hero:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/311100286730313198/

Anyway, dd commiserates on Pinterest with all her followers. It's therapeutic....and hilarious.

Yes, they do and not just series, stand alone books, too.

They get it from their mommy. ;-)

When DS#1 was younger, sometimes he'd finish a book and turn right back to the beginning to start over bc he didn't want to give up the story.

One of mine insists they read all of the HP books 10x each. Even my dh has read Hunger Games multiple times.

One of mine insists they read all of the HP books 10x each. Even my dh has read Hunger Games multiple times.

I think DD's Narnia audio boxed set might eventually explode from overuse -- not that I know how CD's degrade.  Does Patrick Stewart's voice start to go up pitch like on old cassettes, or is it something more dramatic like the laser burns a groove in the disk?  Prob neither.

I think DD's Narnia audio boxed set might eventually explode from overuse -- not that I know how CD's degrade.  Does Patrick Stewart's voice start to go up pitch like on old cassettes, or is it something more dramatic like the laser burns a groove in the disk?  Prob neither.

Our cassette version of Deathly Hallows finally bit the dust. ;)

One of my ds gets sad when he finishes ANYTHING that wasn't just something quick and easy.  Books, TV series, events, vacations, plays he's in, holidays, sleepovers, you name it.  Some of it makes sense, but some of it kind of doesn't.  But I get it.  Endings are sad.  

I do. I live in the world of the book, and am sometimes loathe to leave. 

I remember the very first time that happened--I learned to read in first grade with a series featuring "Mary, Mike, and Jeff." I clearly remember asking my teacher, when we finished all the readers, why there weren't more books about them! I apparently didn't realize we had many, many other choices in reading material! 

At least there's comfort in knowing those worlds are still accessible, unlike some of the IRL places of my childhood that no longer exist, like the woods near my home that were bulldozed to create land for more houses. 

I remember that I waited for years to read The Last Battle. I believe the back of the book said enough to know it was the end of Narnia--and I did NOT want to read that! And I think it was okay to be a bit older for the themes in that book--I was probably a teenager when I finally read it.

Oh absolutely! Dd gets very emotional about her books, her characters, and her shows.

From my dd's pinterest page:

0893fc59bc43d25efcbbe4c3733dbd15.jpg

ff11c3956b2a083dcd225cabd901ee1a.jpg

Caption: I think I'm ready now.

And this girl I think may be dd's hero:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/311100286730313198/

Anyway, dd commiserates on Pinterest with all her followers. It's therapeutic....and hilarious.

Hm...I never did read a new book with a french chef knife. That might get some uninterrupted reading time.

I remember that I waited for years to read The Last Battle. I believe the back of the book said enough to know it was the end of Narnia--and I did NOT want to read that! And I think it was okay to be a bit older for the themes in that book--I was probably a teenager when I finally read it.

I would have been destroyed if I had waited years only for it to end the way it did. :huh:  It is not my favorite.

Glad to see Indy isn't the only one.  *I* get depressed when I leave the world I'm reading about, but to see Indy so depressed was both sad and a little heartening.  I loved that he got so into the books that he really immersed himself in the characters and the world.

I remember the wait for the HP books was excruciating.  I went to all the midnight releases and sat up all night reading for books 5-7.  I even hired a sitter when 5 came out (James Bond was in Iraq) so I could go get my book.  :)