Menu

Don't Like What You Picked? Tapestry has a special for you

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, this came at the right time for me. I had been completely sick of historical fiction in Sonlight and was looking forward to next year when I'd start TOG (I was using some TOG LG resources to give my 1st grader a taste of what my 4th grader was studying - really liked all the selections so far). Then I got the TOG newsletter last week and decided to go ahead and start now! :lol: My library has all the books I need for the first unit of Y4, so we pick up two weeks' worth of books tomorrow from the library and start Monday! So far, I really like what I see. We'll see how it goes in practice. ;) I think my 4th grader will love it. My 1st grader will probably like it also. I like that the literature selections aren't all history related. Instead of reading more historical fiction, my 4th grader will be reading The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, and my 1st grader will have read aloud to him The Story of Little Babji, as they learn about what's going on at the beginning of the 20th century. Very refreshing! :D

And if TOG ends up not fitting us, well, I'll know now before spending $$$ on a Year 1 plan for Ancients next year. :)

Not spammy at all! Thank you for sharing this. I "ordered" this morning and am anxiously awaiting them to email me. I'm excited not only to try it out, but also try the whole digital thing. I've always been unsure of going that route.

Not spammy at all! Thank you for sharing this. I "ordered" this morning and am anxiously awaiting them to email me. I'm excited not only to try it out, but also try the whole digital thing. I've always been unsure of going that route.

After playing with it, and having used Sonlight IGs... I can't imagine dealing with TOG in paper format. :lol: I think I'd go insane! I really like the DE. It's easy to find stuff. My one unit is 660 pages! I don't end up using stuff that is that big in binders. But printing out just what I need for the kids for the week, no problem. I have the unit's "workbooks" printed out for the kids, and they'll fit in 1/2" binders with room to spare. That's the whole unit. I think I printed about 30ish pages per kid (double sided, so 15 sheets per kid).

Wow, thank you for posting this! Everytime someone talks about ToG, I want it! I look over the 3-week sample, get overwhelmed, think about the price, get more overwhelmed, then forget it for a while. This is perfect! An entire unit to explore at no cost!

Question: anybody think TOG did a better job with any particular year or unit than another? I have all age groups and historical periods still to go. But I am thinking Y4U1. All three DDs are starting Ancients and I have a plan that I like for this and next year, but since SWB probably won't have all of her books available by 2016 in time for my oldest who will be a senior then, modern world history is unplanned. Any suggestions or just go fill out the form? :)

I ordered about a week ago when I checked out the newsletter due to forum members mentioning TOG trying to get an app out for their program and saw this offer. I chose Year 2 Unit 4, based on what books I have on hand for the literature sheets. Year 2 Unit 2 also looked like a great one to me since it covered so much stuff.

Best unit is hard! I think I would almost lean towards picking by lit which would probably be either Y2 units 1 or 2 because they both have so much tough meaty lit that getting Tapestry's input would be good OR the unit in Y3 when they do Crime and Punishment. 

This may have come at a perfect time for me.  I'm trying to organize an in depth Am. History course for dd14 to use for a high school credit (I'd planned for her to start it the Jan. in her 8th grade year since it will take her well over a year to complete it).  BUT, right now she isn't doing anything for history...I'm thinking that one of these units might be a great way to start her on Am. History - kind of a mini unit to get her started on the earliest beginnings of settlement here in the US.  

Which unit would provide the best coverage for something like that? I was thinking Year 2 Unit 4...but it's hard to tell based on the limited info on the website.

Best unit is hard! I think I would almost lean towards picking by lit which would probably be either Y2 units 1 or 2 because they both have so much tough meaty lit that getting Tapestry's input would be good OR the unit in Y3 when they do Crime and Punishment. 

Candid,

Thank you for your input. I am really interested in Y2 U2 b/c it covers the reformation. I have chosen some materials for next year though I don't have anything bought yet. And now that I've really taken time to unconfuse myself when looking over the 3-week sample from Y1 U1, I really want it to compare to what we are already doing. ARGH!!! lol  It is a good problem to have.

I don't suppose I can really go wrong, because if I like it, I'll want them all, and if I don't, it doesn't matter which one I got. :)

How long did it take for any of you to hear back from Tapestry of Grace once submitting the form?  thanks

It was days until I got the email.  And it took awhile to get it all downloaded.  And a few days later they called to ask me about it.  UGH!  I haven't had time people!  He warned me another call will come in a few days.  Sheesh.  

How long did it take for any of you to hear back from Tapestry of Grace once submitting the form? thanks

They say 1-2 days. Toward the end of the second day, their tech support called me to make sure I'd gotten it ok. I hadn't received an email, so he had it sent out within a few minutes after that call.

How long did it take for any of you to hear back from Tapestry of Grace once submitting the form?  thanks

after submitting it said 24-48 business hours an email about it would arrive so I am expecting until about middle of next week at least. We have a holiday monday for Thanksgiving here in Canada, does the states have a holiday of some sort this coming monday too?

I had dismissed this offer because I don't think TOG is for me but ... my arm has been twisted. :P Not so happy about the idea of them calling me though - I didn't read that far down the tread before I ordered.

The calls are really not a big deal. They ask you if everything is working ok and if you have any questions. I said I didn't have any questions and was doing fine. Short conversation. I haven't had any more calls since that second one.

(and I'm a person that hates it when strange people call)

after submitting it said 24-48 business hours an email about it would arrive so I am expecting until about middle of next week at least. We have a holiday monday for Thanksgiving here in Canada, does the states have a holiday of some sort this coming monday too?

Columbus Day, but not everyone takes off for that.

And the 24-48 business hours makes me laugh. That's technically 3-6 days. :lol:

The calls are really not a big deal. They ask you if everything is working ok and if you have any questions. I said I didn't have any questions and was doing fine. Short conversation. I haven't had any more calls since that second one.

(and I'm a person that hates it when strange people call)

It's just that my U.S. phone number reaches an IP phone located outside the U.S. and we don't share the same business hours. Not even close.

I have looked at and drooled over TOG for 5 years now but keep putting off ordering and sticking with what I have in the house so this is a great time to try it out (as long as is it being offered to Canadians too). Hoping to order Y3U1.

We are in South Africa and I was able to get it!

How long did it take for any of you to hear back from Tapestry of Grace once submitting the form? thanks

They sent an immediate email confirming my request, but they didn't actually set up my account until a week later. Then there was half a GB to download. ;) I suggest not getting the unit you are currently studying as y Ou might not have time to give it a fair shake.

Columbus Day, but not everyone takes off for that.

And the 24-48 business hours makes me laugh. That's technically 3-6 days. :lol:

They sent an immediate email confirming my request, but they didn't actually set up my account until a week later. Then there was half a GB to download. ;) I suggest not getting the unit you are currently studying as y Ou might not have time to give it a fair shake.

I'm curious, is this how it is when you purchase an order, as well?

Same here.  I was just yesterday considering it again as I'm not feeling like our ancients study this year has as much depth as I'd like.  I can't figure out which unit I would get, though.  My dd13 just started Ancient Egypt, which looks like it's Y1U1, but she's already done Mesopotamia, Sumer, Babylon (she's using K12 Human Odyssey as a spine and is coming to the end of Part 1).  HO doesn't have nearly as much about Egypt as I had expected, as Egypt is what my dd has been most excited to study this year, and it's only two chapters.  In any case, which unit would be recommended in that case?  I'm thinking perhaps Y1U3? or U2?  One of my previous issues with using a Christian curriculum for ancient history is not wanting our history studies to be primarily biblical history, with other history included where applicable, which it seems Y1U1 in particular might be that way.  Any suggestions what would be best?

I would love to finally be able to really try TOG.  It always overwhelms me.  Perhaps seeing the whole unit would give me a clearer picture.

Let me preface this by saying I have the old print redesign 1 of Year 1. I almost think that Unit 2 is what I would suggest for you. They do the "around the world" ancient cultures in that unit (non Mediterranean) plus the first wave of Greek culture which includes the Iliad and Odyssey. 

What I would do before choosing though, is take a look at the books your children would use for each unit and use that to help you. I have a junior in high school and an eight grader so I'm afraid my focus is mostly on high school at this point so you'll need to sort out younger levels more on your own. 

Thank you for all responses. I ordered Y2 U1 because that is the first year I would use *and* it covers SO MANY years of history that I might really need the hand-holding. I do like that the last 200 years is covered in more detail by doing it over two years, though, and I look forward to getting it in a few days.

I'm curious, is this how it is when you purchase an order, as well?

I haven't purchased a unit yet, but I did purchase MapAids to go with my free unit, and I had access to it right away. I'm guessing that this special requires them to verify that people are first time customers and haven't had a free unit before, so it takes longer.

I haven't purchased a unit yet, but I did purchase MapAids to go with my free unit, and I had access to it right away. I'm guessing that this special requires them to verify that people are first time customers and haven't had a free unit before, so it takes longer.

This is what I assume also. I've purchased two year plans (with map aids and evaluations) and had access to each right away.

Thank you! What is this talk about an app for TOG? Link? Also, has TOG made it possible to use the DE version on tablets yet?

An iPad app is coming but not available yet. No Android, from what they've said so far.

-----

We started TOG today, and I'm in love so far. We had a great history study together today! Being the first day, we did more than we would normally do in one day. I think my LG kids could easily do just 3 days of history. My UG kid read about a third of his week's work today and we discussed it. Literature made him slow down and pay attention a bit more.

The only issue we had was my clear address labels for geography... My 9 year old has trouble cutting them in half (I put two things on each label). I think writing the labels would have been easier. :lol:

Does anyone know if I can get a free unit of digital if I am already a print user?

Thanks!

No, it's only for people who have never purchased from TOG.

I think you can upgrade to DE for pretty cheap if you send in your Loom CD. You can't sell the hard copy anymore at that point though.

Thanks! I like my hard copy and I'm visual, but I dream of being minimalist...I just don't know if I would be able to use digital as easily since I work well usin post-its and flipping and marking pages. It would be great to try using digital without long term commitment/investment.