Menu

Would you pay $250 to attend a Singapore Model Drawing Workshop?

39 members have voted

1. 1. So would you?

• Yes- mastering bar models is worth it
    • No way- just practice more on your own
    • If I had the extra money, but I wouldn't stretch the finances for it

If you use SM that is :-). This workshop is coming to our area:

http://the-pi-project.com/pdf/20131019_Workshop_Honolulu.pdf

I feel like this is one of the most beneficial aspects of SM. Yes, bar models seem simple, but when you are so algebra/numbers engrained, it's difficult to think outside the box. I know my kiddos would benefit from this workshop. But $250 is a lot of money... that could be a GoPro :lol:.

I wouldn't, but I just learned them from reading the example problems in CWP and from seeing people's explanations of problems on this forum. Once I got used to using them, they got much easier and understandable - all for free (well, except the cost of the CWP books, but I was buying them anyway ;) ).

I think there are other bar modeling resources people have mentioned over the years. Maybe someone will post some good ones that are much less than $250. :D

Wow, no one thinks this would be cool? I mean, yes, there are better uses for the money. But I feel like this would be really enjoyable. Plus, we move so often and rarely live in an area where I could attend something like this. I know this is one aspect of SM that I'm not strong in. I was an excellent math student but I solve everything by algorithm and algebra.

Self-teaching from the different workbooks may work fine... but this is much less time/effort.

Does it help that the $250 includes lunch? :D

Wow, no one thinks this would be cool? I mean, yes, there are better uses for the money. But I feel like this would be really enjoyable. Plus, we move so often and rarely live in an area where I could attend something like this. I know this is one aspect of SM that I'm not strong in. I was an excellent math student but I solve everything by algorithm and algebra.

So if you can solve it with other tools, why does it have to be bar graphs? It's just one tool out of many, and a temporary one to tide students over until they have algebra.

So if you can solve it with other tools, why does it have to be bar graphs? It's just one tool out of many, and a temporary one to tide students over until they have algebra.

You're right, it doesn't have to be bar models. But it is amazing to me how much simpler they are, and how they help a person think about the numbers in a real way. I recently posted a CWP4 problem on here and explained how I solved it with algebra, but the bar model responses made the problem seem far less abstract, and much more practical.

I remember taking PreIB Chem/Physics my HS sophomore year, and I aced chem but struggled with physics. It was just difficult for me to think of the numbers in a realistic way. I know bar models obviously aren't physics, but I would love to build stronger "real world" math sense in them. It's hard to explain what I mean by that, and I can't quite find the words for it... but I know the lightbulb feeling of seeing one of those bar models drawn out and having a better understanding of the question, even though I'd gotten the right answer with algebra.

Well, if you want to go (and it sounds like you do), don't let us stop you.

I've now had two chances to attend a SWR(spelling program)-training seminar within 75 miles of my location. (I live in BFE.) I declined on both even though I know it would be helpful. It just wasn't worth the time & $$$ away from my family because I'm doing okay and I don't really NEED it. 

I understand how to do the bar models (even if I don't always "get" every single problem that way when I'm doing CWP with my kids). I wouldn't pay for it. There are a couple kids in my homeschool group that would be more than happy to sit down & teach Mrs. RootAnn how to do a specific problem or five using Singapore's bar model. They'd consider it a treat - especially if there were two of them (boys) battling to outdo each other.

I think this would be interesting to go to.  But not $250 worth of interesting.  And not a full day of interesting -- I have a low tolerance for education-speak, and I don't think I could put up with a whole day's worth.

Right now, I'd say "no"... even though we're having trouble.  I ordered some books that people recommended from Singapore Math... I think I paid $11.00 or so a book, and ordered two.

However, realistically, with four kids, it would be worth it for me.

I would have been tempted a few years ago (not for $250 but for something a lot less). I learned it by reading Dr. Yeap Ban Har's Bar Modeling book and DD used Fan Math/CWP books. It turns out that she doesn't like bar modeling and uses variables to solve word problems. She prefers the HoE way as she never seems to draw the bars proportionally.

No. FAN math Process Skills and Problem Solving books from Singapore do a fantastic job of thoroughly teaching bar models. But, even beside that, I can think of tons of better uses for $250!

Side note: I'm not a math person at all, and the models had me stumped when we went to Singapore. I purchased FAN math and it's been a breeze. We started at the beginning of the books, even though we were past that point grade wise. At the end of the 3rd grade FAN Math, I finally ran into a model that I understood but couldn't quite wrap my brain around their why. Posting a question here cleared it up for me. I really don't think you need the class. However, I wouldn't let the thought that others wouldn't spend their money on the class deter you if you want to do it.  I spend money on things lots of people would probably vote no on if I polled!

No. FAN math Process Skills and Problem Solving books from Singapore do a fantastic job of thoroughly teaching bar models. But, even beside that, I can think of tons of better uses for $250!

Side note: I'm not a math person at all, and the models had me stumped when we went to Singapore. I purchased FAN math and it's been a breeze. We started at the beginning of the books, even though we were past that point grade wise. At the end of the 3rd grade FAN Math, I finally ran into a model that I understood but couldn't quite wrap my brain around their why. Posting a question here cleared it up for me. I really don't think you need the class. However, I wouldn't let the thought that others wouldn't spend their money on the class deter you if you want to do it.  I spend money on things lots of people would probably vote no on if I polled!

This.

If I had the money and was interested, I would take the course. However, I'd be more likely to buy more books on "how to" rather than attend a session. For $50, I think I'd have gone, but not for $250.

I really LOVE the bar models and they were far from intuitive to me when I started using Singapore. It's been amazing to me how really nicely the bar models lead into algebra and how some problems are significantly easier to solve with bar models than with algebra.

The Process Skills books (used to be iExcel) are well worth the money though. They also made a huge difference in being able to do the word problems with bar models in CWP and IP.

LOL, well no one voted yes. It's a tough call for me because I honestly think it would be fun. Plus, I rarely take the time for self-teaching and this would force me into it. Planning for and teaching three kiddos is enough... I want someone else to teach me :001_smile:.

If you've got the money and time and won't be disappointed if it isn't great, then go for it!

I've attended far too many classes and seminars that I feel waste my time, so I'd need to be REALLY sure it was something I WANTED.

But if you want it, go and have fun....and report back on any really cool things you learn :)

If it were cheaper, less than $100 and I needed the course, felt it would beneficial and that I could use those skills on multiple kids, then I would rest up the day before and go. I'd take notes, and be attentive and soak it up and write about it on my blog or facebook for all the world to see!

For that price it would have to cover more than just bar models, and I'd still have to feel that it would be beneficial and that I could use those skills on multiple kids.

I am broke, and can't stomach the idea of spending that much money on that workshop (even if they provide lunch and parking) the answer is 'No'. However, I would want to go. I just wouldn't be able to. From my current position, I can't imagine justifying the cost, but that's just me. I say that if you want to and feel that it will be truly worth the time and the money and can afford to--then go and have fun! Let us all know how it goes!

I would jump at the chance to receive training in Montessori methods. I'd probably scrape up the money to go to a One Day Spalding workshop even! But for bar-models, not at this point in my life. Go if you can and have fun.