Menu

Smart idea or Crazy idea??

Heather in Neverland

Each summer we go back to the US to see family for about 4-6 weeks. While there we need a vehicle to get around and also because we drive to a few states to see friends and family.

There are 5 of us including one car seat (and my oldest is over 6 feet tall) so we need a decent amount of space.

None of our family members have a spare car we can use while there.

Last summer we rented a minivan for a month and it cost $1500 USD. That is a lot of money to us. I am thinking of our visit in June and already dreading spending that kind of money again...and again the next summer...and again the next summer...

So I had this idea and I can't decide if it is smart or crazy. I thought, "what if we bought a car instead of renting one?"

We couldn't afford a lot... Maybe $3000 or so. We both still have valid Michigan driver's licenses and a Michigan address (my mom's house). We would get the minimum insurance (called PLPD in Michigan). We would park it in my mom's garage the rest of the year (she would start it occasionally for us). Then it would be there the next summer when we come. And when we move back (whenever that is) we would at least have a starter car waiting for us. Or we could just sell it at some point and recoup some of our money?

So what do you think? Great idea or crazy idea? What are the downsides? Would you do this or just continue to rent vehicles every summer?

If you know you'll be taking this trip (and therefore needing a vehicle) every year, it makes sense.  It will save you money in the long run.

I wouldn't keep the vehicle insured all year though, unless someone is going to be driving it while you're gone.  You should be able to insure it just for the time you're in the U.S.  When DH was deployed for a year, our insurance company was willing to put the insurance on his vehicle into some kind of hold status where it was inactive for the time he was gone, but able to be activated for his two week leave.  We only paid for those two weeks.

I think it's a smart idea!

Smart idea.  I have friends who did something similar with jetskis.  The cost to rent for a week was about the same as buying used, so they bought them, used them for vacation that summer, then resold them - I think they came out even, so basically they had free jetskis for one summer.  

You also need to figure in property taxes and any licensing fees.  I know not all states charge property taxes on vehicles.

I personally wouldn't allow a car to sit undriven for more than a few weeks.  Just starting it isn't enough IMO.  A vehicle needs to be driven for at least 30 minutes at highway speeds at least once a month to circulate fluids enough to keep gaskets and seals from drying out and to keep tires from dry rotting.  I know a couple of very mechanically talented guys who say just cranking a car up and letting it idle may do more harm than good.  I'd also want to have the oil changed at least once a year, regardless of how few miles it's driven.

I know very little about this -- only have our own experience to add. We left a car sitting for a year and expected it to run smoothly immediately after starting up again. It did start up right away, but within about two weeks we had several major problems, and people suggested to us it was because it had been sitting unused for so long. So, I'd do a little research into that, and if that's the case, maybe you could ask someone to drive it for you now and then. If you have only 4-6 weeks home, you'd hate to have to spend a week of that with it in the shop.

It seems like there should be other options for you, but I don't know what they are -- a missionary vehicle exchange program, or something!

SOUnds like a good idea, but I am no car expert.  I would get some advice on how to store it  between visits. 

You can get storage insurance. I don't know what it's called, but if the car is paid for, you can get a policy for really cheap that covers it as long it is not driven and just parked.

When we were in Japan for two years our SUV was in storage.  There was no damage to it from sitting for two years and we actually drove it for three more years after we moved back to the states with no problems whatsoever.  It was stored in Michigan (Northern Lower Michigan).  I definitely think it's a great idea!

Heather, I'd buy the car and then ask your parents to make sure to use it at least once a month. Like others said, it's important to actually drive the car for a fair amount of time on a regular basis. 

Are your parents involved in a church? Or did you all have a church family here in Michigan before you moved oversees? Perhaps one of those groups has someone (or more than one person) who has a vehicle to lend you.

For example, I know we don't know each other, but I'd lend you my van for a solid week to ten days. But honestly, it'd be too much to lend it for four to six weeks. So if you know four or five people who could lend a vehicle for a week or so each, maybe that'd work?

Heather, I'd buy the car and then ask your parents to make sure to use it at least once a month. Like others said, it's important to actually drive the car for a fair amount of time on a regular basis.

Are your parents involved in a church? Or did you all have a church family here in Michigan before you moved oversees? Perhaps one of those groups has someone (or more than one person) who has a vehicle to lend you.

For example, I know we don't know each other, but I'd lend you my van for a solid week to ten days. But honestly, it'd be too much to lend it for four to six weeks. So if you know four or five people who could lend a vehicle for a week or so each, maybe that'd work?

Wow. That is an incredibly generous offer! I would be really scared, though, that something might happen. If we were in your car and were in an accident I would feel just terrible.

My sisters and I keep a car at my parents house for our kids to use when we visit the beach condo that is near them. My parents use it as their second car. (It actually was their second car and we bought it from them.) It probably gets driven once a month because my parents don't go a lot of places without each other that are further than they go in the golf cart. The kids use it whenever we are at the condo, which is probably about 4-6 weeks in the summer, 2 weeks at Christmas, 2 weeks at Spring Break, and a week at Thanksgiving. Never had an issue, but I am sure my dad maintains it when we aren't there because it never needs an oil change or new tires or anything like that when I am there. I am the one that is there the most often.

Wow. That is an incredibly generous offer! I would be really scared, though, that something might happen. If we were in your car and were in an accident I would feel just terrible.

Well, yeah, I understand that. 

Hmmm....

Perhaps your parents know someone selling a vehicle who would be willing to lend or 'rent' it to you while you're here?

I don't know your parent's financial situation, but could *they* buy a vehicle for you to use while you're here, and then sell it again once you've gone back? You could forward them money to use and then they could send the money back after they sold it, too.

My family has done several variations on this over the years.  It's always been a good choice.  You'd want it insured against things like theft when you're not here; your insurance provider should be able to work with you on that.  And you'd want your parents to drive it now and again to keep it in good shape.  It will be handy for them to have a second car for times when theirs is in the shop, etc.  Yes, it will be a bit of money up-front, but a savings in the long run. Just make sure you spend enough to get a decent car, that you can rely on.

In our case, the current "guest car" is used by quite a few different people over the course of the year, so it's well worth it, and the homeowner is willing to put in the work to maintain it.  The alternative of course is to stick with renting, which will free you from any hassles about maintenance, reselling, changing visit patterns, etc. etc.

We have an old minivan. dh doesn't want to get rid of it because it can haul 4x8 sheet of plywood (and other stuff). He has to really drive it once a week or it will not start. My concern would be letting it sit for 11 months would make it require more than just a jump start to get going again (older cars have "personalities"). The other thing is when you are here, you would probably be wanting to really put some mileage on the vehicle. You could lose some of your trip to a break down on some interstate and then waiting for parts is some unknown town so a repair can be done at a garage you are not familiar with. 

My family has friends from Germany who bought a beater car when they came over here for a month, then sold it again at the end of the time. In that case, it ended up being an ongoing legal issue because they didn't transfer the title properly or something and we got tickets for "them" for years afterwards (they'd used our address as the mailing address). But other than that (and that's very avoidable), it seemed to work well :)

We have a 1995 Corvette that we don't drive from November 1 through April 30th.  We cancel insurance during that time but somehow if the car is damaged in our garage our homeowners policy covers it (same insurer for both policies)

Dh starts it every month while it's not being used, but doesn't drive it. We've never had any issues storing it for that length of time. This car has been through this routine for nearly 20 years now. Some cars might need to be driven instead of just stored but around here lots of people store their rv or sports car during our long winter. 

Having a car here waiting for you would probably make things WAY easier for you!

Carefully consider the quality and safety of the vehicle you might be able to afford. A sizable enough vehicle for $3000 is going to be pretty basic, might not be all that reliable, will have high mileage (making expensive maintenance and repairs more likely), and might not have the comfort or up to date safety features expected.

If you do decide to do this be sure to see and test drive the vehicle yourselves (with everyone loaded inside) before buying. You don't want to make a no-returns purchase only to find that the back seat passengers' arms all go to sleep from cramping after 30 minutes, or that there's no leg room.

we've bought used cars for that amount that were quite dependable.  nothing to look at, and bare bones basics, but they ran.  so, it really depends what cars go for in that area, and what you can find.  the idea itself makes sense.  even if you just drove it for six weeks and then sold for close to what you paid for it, you could come out ahead.