Menu

Vent of the hour . . . UPDATE in post 22

StephanieZ

It is that kind of day. Or week.

JAWM, please.

My dd's instrument teacher is a bit, uhh, unstable. She's taught dd 9 years (and dd had studied for about 18 mos with a different teacher before we moved here). It's an unusual instrument, and we don't live in a huge urban area, so the next closest teacher is about 100 miles away.

Dd's teacher sent out a notice today that, as of Jan1, her lesson rates will go from $48 to $124/hr. Yes, you read that right.

We live in a low wage area. She already has a very small studio (typically maybe 10 students total, most for just half an hour, not more than 4 kids/teens, and the rest retirees learning for fun.)

The teacher is good at music. However, she is, as I said, uh, well, unstable.

So, dd has less than 2 years before leaving for college. She enjoys instrument study, it is a serious extra-curricular, but not what she plans to study in college. I'd already written off ever trusting the teacher to write college rec.s b/c she is unpredictable. So, really, this is not a huge big deal. Dd just has to transition to the college/adult period of playing for fun/recreation/spare money now instead of later. 

I did let the teacher know we won't be continuing lessons at the new rate, and there is some chance she'll change her mind, as I predict she will lose all or nearly all of her students due to this (if not the other erratic things she's been doing lately). But, one way or another, I have a feeling this relationship is ending sooner rather than later.

UGH!

At that level, I would think an over the Internet lesson would work, that could expand your teacher options, unless it is something like the harp. Any other instrument should be be fine with an Internet lesson at the higher levels, I would think.

I've never heard of internet music lessons before. Huh. Do you know of any resources for finding a teacher this way? Why would harp be different from other instruments? Just curious.

I've never heard of internet music lessons before. Huh. Do you know of any resources for finding a teacher this way? Why would harp be different from other instruments? Just curious.

For trumpet, for example, here is one person who offers Internet lessons:

http://www.davidoneill.com/On-LineLessions.html

If I were looking, I would find a good trumpet chat forum and take recommendations.

Harp is large, it might be hard to see fingering errors or see what is being done over an Internet camera. But, I have only played brass instruments and piano, so harp might actually work online, I don't know.

A beginner needs help different from an advanced player. Most advanced players know enough that an Internet lesson would work almost as well as a live lesson.

Since you don't say what instrument it is, it might not be possible but what about just joining a local symphony? I have a friend that played in high school and hadn't touched it for a lot of years. He picked up his instrument and started practicing and joined the small city symphony where he played for a couple of years.

She already has a good bit of experience playing with local orchestras, even repeat paid orchestra jobs. The teacher may well try to prevent access to orchestras, as she has really gone off the deep end and can be very punitive whenever we have declined to participate in anything, so i am expecting retaliation for me letting her know that we can't continue lessons after the price increase. I will pursue more orchestra stuff for her in the spring.

Yes, some sort of mental illness is plausible, as is dementia. She lives with her spouse and her adult children are nearby, so i will trust that they will do whatever they have to do.

Sadly, it was not a typo. She was very explicit.

And, yes, lol, it is the harp. :) I was trying to be discreet, but I give up.

Our former teacher from nine years ago is fantastic, and is just 200 miles away, but near my mom. I will likely ask her abut doing monthly lessons, just coaching dd on wedding repertoire, etc. just to ease dd's transition away from weekly lessons.

Thanks for the sympathy. It really is hard.

Ok, your teacher is a nutbunny. 48 an hour would be extremely reasonable, but jumping to that level in one swoop? And she only has 10 students? Yep - what a nutbunny.

Our local music school does online lessons AND they do harp. They are a large program and highly regarded. I will PM you their website. They give discounts for daytime lessons with homeschoolers too.

She already has a good bit of experience playing with local orchestras, even repeat paid orchestra jobs. The teacher may well try to prevent access to orchestras, as she has really gone off the deep end and can be very punitive whenever we have declined to participate in anything, so i am expecting retaliation for me letting her know that we can't continue lessons after the price increase. I will pursue more orchestra stuff for her in the spring.

Yes, some sort of mental illness is plausible, as is dementia. She lives with her spouse and her adult children are nearby, so i will trust that they will do whatever they have to do.

Sadly, it was not a typo. She was very explicit.

And, yes, lol, it is the harp. :) I was trying to be discreet, but I give up.

Our former teacher from nine years ago is fantastic, and is just 200 miles away, but near my mom. I will likely ask her abut doing monthly lessons, just coaching dd on wedding repertoire, etc. just to ease dd's transition away from weekly lessons.

Thanks for the sympathy. It really is hard.

Another thought is to ask the teacher 200 miles away if she'd be willingly to do lessons via Skype, and then you could periodically have a live lesson with her periodically. That could be a great option if she was willing!

I was going to suggest asking the former teacher to do weekly Skype lessons (or FaceTime which is sometimes better timing-wise) with an occasional in-person lesson. My dd's fiddle teacher has this sort of arrangement with students who live very far away. 

An increase like that is ridiculous...a normal cost of living increase is reasonable but that is outrageous.

I think you are warding off what could be a very bad experience on this trip. Good for you for canceling, I hope your dd understands. 

Yes, it sounds like this is the time to move on.  Sometime you have to accept that things are less than ideal for awhile, but in the long run I suspect that you'll be glad you left when you did.