Menu

Does your blender base fit a mason jar?

MamaSheep

If so, what kind of blender do you have? 

Recently I've seen several things online that state that you can screw the base of your blender on to a standard mason jar and use it like a Magic Bullet. That sounds really handy to me, but I've tried my blender with both regular and wide-mouth mason jars and it's too big for one and too small for the other. Have any of you tried this? Does it work with your blender? I need a new one soon anyway, and this might be a nice "feature" to have. But I haven't been able to determine which brands of blenders are actually constructed this way.

I have an Osterizer of unknown age -- at least 10 years old -- and I can fit various glass jars on it.  I don't know if I've ever tried an actual Mason jar, but other glass jars I have around -- like mayo jars I've washed out -- fit just fine.

I have a Cuisinart immersible blender, and it fits into a wide-mouth mason jar.  I use it that way for smoothies.  It's much easier/quicker to clean than a regular blender.  It won't do ice cubes or other hard stuff, but for softer things it does a great job.  I like that I can microwave defrost frozen berries in the jar, then blend up the smoothie in the same jar.

A lot of new blenders now come with single serving cups that you can use instead of the giant glass thing.  If you're thinking about buying a new blender anyway, it might be simpler to find one like that instead of trying to cross-reference blenders and mason jars. ;)

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/m/recipes/tip_blender_and_mason_jar/

Here is link with pics for a good visual.

Thank you. I saw this thread earlier and I kept imagining filling my mason jar with stuff and then turning it upside down to fit in the blender. I was thinking, how do you do that without making a big mess. Brain is tired. 

• Like 3

Thanks! Sounds like maybe I want an Oster. Or one that comes with a single serving jar. But one of the things I was looking at had to do with laundry soap that they were cooking up, putting in jars, then blending in the jar because it cooled when it separated, and then putting a top on for storage. That sounded really handy, not just for soap, but for things like chopped nuts and whatnot. 

Blending it right in the storage container would save me the mess I always make when transferring, AND I wouldn't have to wash out the blender pitcher, just the base. 

Anyway...thanks! :)

• 3 years later...

my grandmother had an old osterizer that fit a mason jar.  I have my mom's - which also dates to the 70s.  I think it fits a mason jar, but I've never used it for one.  and I replaced it with a blendtec which blends so. much. better!  (we use it for somethings, so we still have it.)

I was just messing around with this idea - Hamilton Beach blender and various jars. Mason jar and many others don't fit, but a Polar fruit jar and another no-label jar do. So I did some measuring, and if I'm not off, the 2-3/8" (outer edges) fit, but the 2-1/2" didn't. So I think mason jars must be typically 2-1/2" and that's maybe what you should look for in a blender.

I think the biggest advantage to jar vs. the blender container is if you'd like to store several things (or just more than one) at a time.

Bonus info: I put in two huge frozen strawberries (that's all I had in the freezer), a little sugar and some milk to just cover the berries and ended up with awesome ice cream. Added a little more milk and had an excellent smoothie. A little yogurt instead of milk - frozen yogurt in about 5 minutes! In a take-along jar! It's all good.ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Edit: uline site, this mason jar is 2-1/2". So either my jars are the wrong kind (I used spaghetti sauce mason jars) or I'm measuring incorrectly. https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-17491/Jars/Canning-Jars-16-oz?pricode=WZ495&gadtype=pla&id=S-17491Q3&gclid=Cj0KEQjwt6fHBRDtm9O8xPPHq4gBEiQAdxotvCKa9Q2I49TM2TTrpkrvs3yOUiNAXrKOC39_wmorek4aAq3K8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.dspost-108009-0-24690800-1491783041_thumb.jpegpost-108009-0-05012300-1491783062_thumb.jpeg

Edited by jvallas

• 2 years later...