Menu

The Complete Writer: Writing with Ease (WWE) -- All separate threads merged here

Colleen in NS

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has WWE and Workbook 1 started shipping yet?

Thanks!

I didn't order Workbook 1, so I don't know about those. But I received an email from PHP this afternoon that my order for WWE shipped out via FedEx. Yippee!!

HTH!

Hello all. I will have first grader this year. I am trying to homeschool as close to TWTM book as possible. I am setting up my daily schedule and start in 1 week on a cycle schedule. I and am wondering...if I plan to use FLL and WWE, do I still need a separate reading and notebook time?

I have recreational reading time...

Handwriting

Spelling

Phonics/Ordinary Parents Guide - knows how to read, but reviewing.

Grammar/First Language Lessons

Writing with Ease?

I guess I'm confused on what WWE takes off my plate? I wasn't planning to do a writing program (outside of handwriting) until I heard about WWE. I know they reccommended Writing Strands in 2nd grade or so. Is that what it replaces?

The reading notebook was just reading passages, comprehension questions and making a notebook page on what they "got" from the story, right? It seems like that's what there is in FLL or WWE already. Am I wrong? Is maybe the reading notebook for things THEY are able to read and "report" on? Trying to figure out how to make this all work together...

Thank you for any input!!!!!

:001_huh:

Jina

Honestly, I don't have time to read through all the posts and I'm trying to put my Rainbow Resource order in today. I can't tell which workbook to order and the PeaceHillPress site wasn't very enlightening.

My ds will be in 4th grade and has had some writing experience. Do you have to start with wb 1 or should I jump to #2? Thanks for any help!

Here's what Susan W. Bauer had to say:

SWB on her new writing curriculum:

young children progress at very different rates through acquiring the skills. The levels are roughly equivalent to grades, but reluctant writers may need to start at a lower level. Essentially:

if your child can do copywork well, but struggles a bit with one to two sentence dictations, start with Level 2,

if your child struggles with three to four sentence dictation and/or has difficulty with coherent, brief summaries, start with Level 3,

if your (slightly older) child can think of what to write but can't get it on paper, start with Level 4.

There are diagnostic tests in the Writing With Ease text to help you place your student.

As I have a 5th grader who needs to really get going on writing...I did read most of the posts! My understanding is that the series is primarily for 1st-4th grades and you would need WB4 (which won't be available this year) especially if your child does have some writing exposure. Because of our writing needs, I am ordering the text to adapt for my 5th grader but we will not order a workbook. We will choose our own writings to go along with the instructions in the text. Hope that helps.

I would prefer workbook 4, then, and so now I need to come up with another writing program! Oh darn!

You don't have to have a workbook to still use the program. The book is written in such a way that the workbook is not need, but the workbook would make planning easier.

Jan

You don't have to have a workbook to still use the program. The book is written in such a way that the workbook is not need, but the workbook would make planning easier.

Jan

To expand on this: The main text has example exercises for one week (from Alice in Wonderland for example) and then tells you how to repeat this with your own sources (any history text you are using etc.) over the next 3-5 weeks. This instruction continues for a 36 week school year. I am very happy with the book, I received it today and looked it over. It is very do-able without the workbook.

I've been reading WWE, along with grammar stage writing in TWTM for the past 24 hours. My poor hungry children.

Anyway, in TWTM you recommend the narration/copywork/dictation activities along with a writing program like Writing Strands in third and fourth.

Now with WWE, are you saying a writing program apart from WWE is unnecessary at this point? It seems like we will actually be doing less than we were before (which is really fine by me), but I wanted to clarify this with you.

Thanks for all your attention to this thread, it's so helpful!

DD 9 (rising 4th grader) has been writing creatively (pages and pages!) for years, can narrate a fairly lengthy story, and then write it down in her own words (with mostly correct punctuation and capitalization--spelling's a different story :001_smile:).

However, when it comes to dictation, she cannot hold more than two 10-12 word sentences in her head. I read the selection to her at least three times, but, if the selection is long, I must repeat myself as we go or give her a few words at a time. The words seem to evaporate (we have the same problem with mental math exercises). It is difficult for her to retain information unless she can see or read it herself; hearing is not enough.

I know practice should help, but where do I start in WWE? She doesn't need the question prompts for Level 3 narration, but would be hard pressed to hold the Level 4 Week 1 dictation sentence (approximately 30 words) in her head long enough to get it on paper.

Advice?

Thanks!

Lisa

P.S. Great book; you've put my mind at ease about so many things (no journals or book reports--yea!).

Well I was pleasantly surprised Saturday morning when I came downstairs at around 10am (hubby let me sleep in and then I got up showered, and did a little cleaning up in our room and the laundry room) to find a fedex box on my table. I checked the return address and it said it was from PHP.

WOOHOO my WWE had arrived and I didn't even know it was coming as I hadn't received a shipping notice.

I wasn't able to look it over but I did open the box right away and set it over by my computer near the couch so I could check it out later when the kids settled in for bed that night. THAT WAS A LONG WAIT :tongue_smilie:

I read the whole first part that covers the basic program and the grammar stage. I'm so happy with it. It really opened my eyes, and reassured me that my son who's going to be starting 4th grade this year isn't really behind. He went to PS for K and part of 1st and we had a lot of phonics work to do when he came home so he'd had no real exposure to writing and how to do it. After going through the book and having him do the Evaluation for year 1 (I was following the book's recommendations on how to place him in the program) I figured out that he should start with Year 2, I knew he wouldn't be ready for year 3 or 4 but wasn't sure if he needed to go all the way back to the beginning or not. I was surprised that he actually enjoyed the copywork and narration exercises from the Year one Evaluation week. He even memorized the first copywork passage without me asking.

I love that the book gives you the first weeks lesson for each area your covering and then gives suggestions for the next few weeks when you'll cover that topic so you can pick your own literature, history or science topics to use. I was however grateful that I also got the Student book for Year 1 that has it all laid out for me. I think for this year I'll also get the Student book for Year 2 which would have all the selections for copywork, narration and dictation laid out for me so that we can really learn the process before jumping into the deep end and picking our own. My dd who will be starting 1st grade this fall and who will be doing WWE year 1 started looking through the student book and loved that there are small black and white pictures on the narration pages. She asked me, "Mom if you write down the words for me do I still get to color the picture?" When I said "of course" she was overjoyed!

The book seems to really give me the writing exercises that I've always wanted from FLL without the grammar aspect that just wasn't working for my kids.

I'm overall very happy that I waited patiently for the pre-order to arrive, and didn't jump into ordering something else. This is exactly what I've been looking for.

My dh even looked things over and read the beginning of the book and said "That must be why Ev seems so flustered when he talks to, we've never really taught him how to put his ideas into words" He's completely right, we've been so worried about penmanship, grammar and math that we never really thought to teach our son how to get his thoughts formed into words that he can use to convey them to others.

I hope my little initial review helps some, and I also want to send a big THANK YOU! out to SWB for all her hard work on the program.

I know one benefit with the pre-order would be that you would get the book sooner. Also I believe the author gets more money if you order from her site. I would love to support them by ordering from this site, but I just couldn't because of budget.

Jan

I've been reading WWE, along with grammar stage writing in TWTM for the past 24 hours. My poor hungry children.

Anyway, in TWTM you recommend the narration/copywork/dictation activities along with a writing program like Writing Strands in third and fourth.

Now with WWE, are you saying a writing program apart from WWE is unnecessary at this point? It seems like we will actually be doing less than we were before (which is really fine by me), but I wanted to clarify this with you.

I am wondering the same thing! I was planning to use Writing Tales, but it looks unnecessary now.

And I have an additionmal concern: I really don't see combining FLL and WWE. After all, Peace Hill Press states about FLL, "Everything you need to teach grammar and writing during the first two years of school." FLL and WWE seems like WAY too much. To tell you the truth every grammar program I have seen looks like overkill, busywork (and a waste) if combined with WWE. I am having a hard time committing to a grammar program when most of it is covered to my satisfaction in WWE. I was really planning to use WWE alone; the problem comes in when in 5th grade you are supposed to diagram which can get pretty complicated, so some additional grammar is going to be needed first. Really not knowing what to do at this point. :001_huh:

I am wondering the same thing! I was planning to use Writing Tales, but it looks unnecessary now.

And I have an additionmal concern: I really don't see combining FLL and WWE. After all, Peace Hill Press states about FLL, "Everything you need to teach grammar and writing during the first two years of school." FLL and WWE seems like WAY too much. To tell you the truth every grammar program I have seen looks like overkill, busywork (and a waste) if combined with WWE. I am having a hard time committing to a grammar program when most of it is covered to my satisfaction in WWE. I was really planning to use WWE alone; the problem comes in when in 5th grade you are supposed to diagram which can get pretty complicated, so some additional grammar is going to be needed first. Really not knowing what to do at this point. :001_huh:

Well, I think you'd be fine in 1st and 2nd just teaching the 8 parts of speech, but I think in 3rd/4th you'd want to add grammar that specifically teaches diagramming. With my older we've used GWG, but with the younger we'll go the FLL route - she's doing FLL3 right now.

I'm still curious about doing more than copywork/dictation/narration in third and fourth though1

Thanks Jan!

Well I couldn't even tell how much the books were on PHP and I thought I recalled seeing a post from SWB about getting something "extra" if you ordered form them. So I was just curious if anyone got an "extra".;)

By preordering we got the Writing Without Fear CD - it's SWB giving a seminar on teaching writing. Plus free shipping. But that offer was with the preorder and I don't know if it is still available.

But I agree with what was aid about supporting PHP. I try to order from them when I can because I want them to continue publishing the things I want to use (like the next volume of the writing curriculum for 5-8 grades)!

Hi there,

I was just wondering if someone can tell me if there is a benefit to ordering WWE form PHP over Amazon. Sorry if this has already been answered. I tried to find my answer in the very LONG thread:)

Thanks,

Beth

I thought I responded to this question earlier, but can't find my response. :confused:

A big benefit from ordering from PHP is that they are shipping now. If you order from Amazon, they won't be shipping until August.

A big benefit from ordering from PHP is that they are shipping now. If you order from Amazon, they won't be shipping until August.

I want to support PHP, but I'm torn by the price difference. Do you mind me asking where you heard that Amazon isn't shipping until August? That sounds like a deal breaker, as I have been planning to start it with my first grader in August!

I want to support PHP, but I'm torn by the price difference. Do you mind me asking where you heard that Amazon isn't shipping until August? That sounds like a deal breaker, as I have been planning to start it with my first grader in August!

I admit it-I'm cheap. I pre-ordered from Amazon and my order says it's estimated shipping date is August 15. I figure I'll be safe and add a week to that.

I admit it-I'm cheap. I pre-ordered from Amazon and my order says it's estimated shipping date is August 15. I figure I'll be safe and add a week to that.

I preordered from amazon as well - the hardcover and both workbooks but I haven't rec'd an update on when they will ship. Initially the hardcover and workbook 1 were to ship after the publication date but then I rec'd an email saying they were delayed because they hadn't been able to source them (does Amazon buy direct from PHP?) and there's been no update. I will likely cancel my orders for both workbooks and maybe the whole thing if they will be that delayed.

I was wondering...am I not supporting PHP when I buy their products from another source? Obviously they make more money, but I was under the impression if I buy something that they published, they indeed make money.:confused:

The difference in price between PHP and amazon for the hardcover book and a workbook is about $22.

I was wondering...am I not supporting PHP when I buy their products from another source? Obviously they make more money, but I was under the impression if I buy something that they published, they indeed make money.:confused:

The difference in price between PHP and amazon for the hardcover book and a workbook is about $22.

Of course you are! For me, this is the one publisher that I buy directly from because I appreciate their products so much, and I want to show that. For everything else, when there is an option, I will take the least expensive route. It's my way of saying thanks I suppose.

I'm guessing PHP is thrilled to have purchases through Amazon, too, or else they wouldn't use them.

Of course you are! For me, this is the one publisher that I buy directly from because I appreciate their products so much, and I want to show that. For everything else, when there is an option, I will take the least expensive route. It's my way of saying thanks I suppose.

I'm guessing PHP is thrilled to have purchases through Amazon, too, or else they wouldn't use them.

Well said Amy! Thanks for the clarification. :)

I received WWE this past Saturday and am loving what I'm seeing so far. I do want to know, though, how to integrate it with FLL. I'll have a 1st grader in WWE 1 and FLL 1 and a 3rd grader using WWE 3 and FLL 3 this fall.

Thanks!

I decided to go ahead and get FLL so I am anxiously awaiting this information as well. Good question!

They didn't even have a new ship date. I looked on peacehill's web site and it looks like I would have to pay shipping too now, making the book 17$ more than Amazon. We start school the first week of August. I just don't know what I want to do. I have Writing Strands here, maybe I'll just use that this year. :-(

Can anyone who has the book tell me if there are any other books/materials needed to teach the course? I've been waiting for my copy to arrive before placing an order with Rainbow Resource. If I do decide to wait, I don't want to find out after it comes that I need other materials. Thanks

My WWE came in the mail today. I am so glad I went ahead and paid for my pre-order; I had almost decided to cancel!

Here is what I think upon first reading:

I have read TWTM. I have heard Susan give the workshop "Writing Without Fear." Susan's recommendations on teaching writing make perfect sense to me. Unfortunately, my ability to implement those recommendations has been spotty at best.

Now there is WWE. I feel like I know where to start with each child, and I feel there is a clear path to get to where we're headed. I can easily pinpoint which skills my elder two dc need more work on, and I will be able to lay a better foundation with my younger ones from the beginning.

Thank you, Susan!

I received mine yesterday. I love it! THis is exactly what I have needed for writing in the early years. My older kids missed out but I can help them catch up with this book. I will start my younger children from the beginning.

As far as using with FLL I would do the writing assignments in WWE and do all the other lessons in FLL. There is some overlap so if it is too much just skip the copywork and dictation in FLL.

SO bummed about the bait and switch with Amazon. I cancelled my order with them and just ordered from PHP so I can get it soon. I'm excited!

As far as whether to use it with FLL, of course I haven't seen WWE yet. But I just did a re-reading of the grammar stage portion of TWTM, and they recommend using FLL PLUS copywork several times a week for first grade. We are doing FLL1 now and I don't think it is enough writing by itself, especially because we only use it 2-3 times per week. I am interested to see how the two programs will complement each other.

We are doing FLL1 now and I don't think it is enough writing by itself, especially because we only use it 2-3 times per week. I am interested to see how the two programs will complement each other.

I think you're right, Penelope. We originally described FLL as "all the writing you need" for first and second grade, but that assumed that you were also doing dictation and narration in other subjects...WWE spells ALL of the dictation and narration out for you. (Just in case some of you were wondering.)

SWB

Does anyone know the timeline for workbooks 3 and 4 to be out? I think I read workbook 2 will be available in Aug 2008. I wonder how long after will 3 and 4 be available? The workbook really simplifies things for me.

I'll be working to finish them up over the next year--and we'll keep you posted.

SWB

This gets me thinking, can you use WWE without using a formal grammar program? Will it still work? I think it will. They know some basic grammar. Can't wait to get my hands on WWE.

Yes, you can, but you should add grammar in as soon as you think they can stand it... by third or fourth grade for sure.

SWB

She is a slow/weak reader with excellent comprehension, and a weak writer. She can copy, but it takes her a very long time and she gets frustrated after just one or two sentences. She is also still getting letters confused like lowercase d's and b's and when she is spelling a word to me that she can't read she calls lowercase l's a "line". In any case, she isn't writing or spelling much.

I have been focusing on intensive phonics instruction with her, but I think she may have a learning disability and I will be looking into evaluation soon.

Considering her ability I realize level 1 is a better fit, however I need her to be ready for 3rd grade in a good public school in 15 months which makes me feel like I need to start her on two. I don't have much money, and I will definitely be buying either workbook 1 or 2.

In your honest opinion, if she completes workbook 1, will she be ok in public school grade 3?

Thank you for your time,

JustOneQuestion

Honestly, no, I think she needs to finish both workbook 1 and workbook 2...she needs to get up to the level of workbook 2, but if she doesn't first build the skills in Workbook 1, she'll be frustrated. But if you need to watch the amount you spend...just get the central text, follow the instructions for Year One yourself (you'll need to choose and write out the copywork for her), and then follow the workbook for Year Two. It's simpler to pick your own copywork than to pick your own dictation.

I don't know if this makes sense to you--it might make more sense after you've seen the central text--so please post again if you need to and I'll try to do a better job of answering quickly. :-)

SWB

Yes, that's right...I don't think you need to do Writing Strands if you're diligently doing WWE. You may be doing less actual writing, but you're doing more intense and targeted development of the skills that elementary students need to develop...and less of the peripheral stuff.

SWB

DD 9 (rising 4th grader) has been writing creatively (pages and pages!) for years, can narrate a fairly lengthy story, and then write it down in her own words (with mostly correct punctuation and capitalization--spelling's a different story :001_smile:).

However, when it comes to dictation, she cannot hold more than two 10-12 word sentences in her head. I read the selection to her at least three times, but, if the selection is long, I must repeat myself as we go or give her a few words at a time. The words seem to evaporate (we have the same problem with mental math exercises). It is difficult for her to retain information unless she can see or read it herself; hearing is not enough.

I know practice should help, but where do I start in WWE? She doesn't need the question prompts for Level 3 narration, but would be hard pressed to hold the Level 4 Week 1 dictation sentence (approximately 30 words) in her head long enough to get it on paper.

Advice?

Thanks!

Lisa

P.S. Great book; you've put my mind at ease about so many things (no journals or book reports--yea!).

If I were you, I'd start with the Level 4 dictation sentences and just be ready to repeat them two or three additional times. It sounds as though you may be dealing partly with a maturity problem...which will resolve itself in time.

SWB

I noticed it said in WWE that there was a list of recommended writing programs for middle and high school at the peacehillpress website but I can't find it. Anyone know where it is?

I can't wait until Susan has the middle and high school books written.

Reading WWE was such a relief to me. I know what to do now!