Menu

The Complete Writer: Writing with Ease (WWE) -- All separate threads merged here

Colleen in NS

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if your child can do copywork well, but struggles a bit with one to two sentence dictations, start with Level 2,

if your child struggles with three to four sentence dictation and/or has difficulty with coherent, brief summaries, start with Level 3,

if your (slightly older) child can think of what to write but can't get it on paper, start with Level 4.

If I'm understanding right....WWE book (Part 1) is broken up into four levels, years 1-4?

Part 2 will cover years 5-8 and Part 3 will cover years 9-12?

when it said a full years worth.. I was thinking it meant book 1 and 2 were *one* years worth of work.. I understand now.. thanks for the clarification. It looks great! thanks for your hard work!

** edited to add.. my ds will be in 1st, not K in Fall... must be time for bed!**

Rhonda....I don't think your son is struggling; he's not having trouble getting words down on paper, he just hasn't quite mastered the mechanics yet. Sounds to me like he could benefit from some direct instruction in proofreading...have you checked out Editor in Chief? (And if I were you, I'd either watch him write and correct him as he goes, or else correct his work right after he writes it and have him erase and rewrite the problem spots IMMEDIATELY. IMO, when he writes incorrectly he is reinforcing his tendency to ignore mechanics, and if you don't correct it until the next day, the corrections do nothing to change his habit.)

Pster...There are three FLL books: FLL Levels 1 & 2 (combined into one book), FLL 3, and FLL 4. They cover the first four years of school. The Writing With Ease main text covers all four of those years. Workbook 1 and Workbook 2 are a supplement that make teaching the first two years earlier (you would use them in the same years that you use the FLL 1 & 2 book). Workbooks 3 and 4 will cover grades 3 and 4, the years you would be using FLL 3 and FLL 4...those workbooks are not yet available, but you can still use the Writing With Ease main text without the supplements.

Jules in MI: Sounds to me like your son could benefit from doing the Level 2 workbook. It would give him some extra practice in the mechanics of writing, which he probably needs before going on to do original composition.

Heather in OK...that's exactly right! by george, she's got it!!!

Going to have a hot bath now,

SWB

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhh - that makes sense - duh! matching the year of FLL to the year of WWE! Why couldn't I figure that out?? *sigh*

rats - now I realize that I won't have the workbook for my 3rd grader! oh well.

But....I can still use the WWE for my soon to be 1st grader and I can get her the workbook! Hope she is ready for it!!

ugh....must stop waffling between programs!! I will evaluate it this weekend and make some decisions............maybe.:rolleyes:

thanks for all the help! ;)

Pster - I think I'm going to go with FLL/WWE for my 1st grader for sure, but I think I'm going with WT 1 for my 3rd grader. I'm thinking I'll be able to implement some of SWB's thoughts on writing into WT's. Just my thoughts for now on my plans for next year!

Can I ask what made you think about going with WT1 for you dd for 3rd? What kind of writer / reader is she?

Just trying to figure out which is right for my dd. I just don't know. Too many options. My dd isn't wild about writing but she can write a few sentences and I see some improvement. We have been using Draw...Then Write , the narrations from bks or SOTW, writing in FLL1/2 - just random stuff like that this year. However she is doing GREAT reading.

I had been leaning towards WT1 for next year and was happy "we" didn't have to do extra grammar. But then....I got to seen inside WWE bk today and I do like that. I like that it can mesh with FLL3. So...now I just don't know. I like the whole philosophy behind SWB's bks.

What will you use for spelling? That's another one I've been unsure of - I've liked Natural Speller & Sequential Spelling.

I would like to use it with dd who will be in 1st but I'm not sure how ready she'll be for it. She struggles with handwriting & reading....so I'm not sure if she'll be ready. Guess I can always hold off if she isn't "there" yet. Do you think your 1st grader can handle the writing? & grammar?

thanks for discussing this!:D:D

Well, one of the reasons I think I'm going with WT's for my 3rd grader is that there won't be a workbook for WWE for year 3. :) Also, WT's is very gentle and thorough. I think it is a great program, I've researched it, and have it in my grubby little paws. It looks easy to implement, and my son that doesn't like to write should be able to handle it. I'm thrilled with the idea of getting writing and grammar done togther.

I really want to look at and read SWB's book though. I really respect her thoughts on writing, so I'm thinking I'll start my 1st grader that way. After a year of each, I should know which way I want to go for the next years. My 1st grader will be able to handle the writing for both FLL and WWE. He really enjoys writing and can do so much more than my oldest could at the same age.

I use SWR for spelling/reading and love it. I won't use anything else! :) My oldest is testing really well with spelling and reading. My K'er is coming right along as well, although he isn't reading as quickly as my oldest did. Is your 1st grader (to be) on the young side? My son turned 6 in late December, so he will be 6.5 when 1st grade starts. I think months make a difference at that young of an age. Well, Las Vegas is back on... gotta run. :) I'll check back later!

My k'er going on 1st grade is young yet. She won't turn 6 till end of March. So I'm looking ahead on this I guess - maybe a little too far for her. I just see her struggles now and think she just wouldn't be able to handle a lot of writing. Eh... maybe I just need to wait on starting the WWE. {Ooooooh - but I want to see it!}

I want to have both of the bks in my hands so I can look thru and compare them from front to back.

Maybe I should just get WWE & wkbk 1 for dd (K->1st) and just use it whenever she is ready.... and then for dd7....maybe WT1 or WWE. Maybe if I order WWE and really like it I can just use it with my oldest dd. I do wish it had the wkbk ready - that would make my work easier.....lol.

oh well! enough for tonight! I'll "sleep" on it and figure it out later!

thanks for talkin'!

Susan can you recommend something for older children (7th and 10th for example)? They hate writing and I have no idea how to teach it any more.

They are both wonderful at written summaries/narrations but we have never figured out how to get past that point. I have been a bad mom and ignored it for too long.

Do you have any thoughts on what I can do and or use to get us past this point and where we should be. I admit I have no idea where we should be!

Thank you

Debbie

and I can't make promises...there's this whole History of the World I'm supposed to be writing....but I'll keep you posted just as SOON as I have some idea as to when it'll be finished!

Fortunately you have better options available for middle grades and high school than for elementary writing...IMO it's the early training that's absolutely missing from writing programs.

Can you give me some idea of what programs you've tried? It's OK if the answer is "none"...just put me into the picture.

Also: are the children slow readers, average readers, voracious readers?

Do they resist writing creatively?

Have they had any experience in writing different sorts of papers: research papers, for example, or response papers?

for taking the time to address my questions.

Let me see if I can give some more background.

7th grader:

She is a fast reader and does it very well but only ready what she 'has' to. She general does not pick up a book to read for enjoyment.

She is very creative by nature and loves creative writing, will make up outlandish stories and writes with humor. The content is usually pretty good but lacking in mechanics because she does not care about that stuff.

She is working in a book by EPS called Writing Skills 1. She has also done a small amount of IEW. She is currently outlining from Kingfisher 3x week.

10th grader:

She is a voracious reader and always has a book (or several) going and will choose reading in her free time.

She is NOT creative by nature and a creative writing assignment will still make her cry at 15 years old. She is conscientious of her work and will concentrate more on mechanics then content at times.

She has taken an IEW class and we have done some at home. She spent all of 8th grade writing written narrations using Kingfisher History Ency. She hated it and cried at the beginning but by the end of the year could do it very quickly and well. I never knew where to go with her after that.

I tried Writing Strands 3 with her years ago but can't remember now why we did not continue with it.

She does well with a narration or summery type assignment where she is just giving back information that she has read but freezes up on anything she has to pull out of her head.

Last year (9th grade) she did a paragraph class online. That is pretty much all we have done. She has never done a research paper or response paper.

Is there any hope for us?

Thank you for your help I really need it!!

Blessings,

Debbie

I don't think my oldest child liked the IEW class because it was a 6 hour class that tried to cover the whole program. I think that moved too fast for her and I didn't have it at home to know how to implement.

I did borrow IEW from a friend once and learned how to teach the first 2 units on note making and summarizing from your notes.

My 10th grader says she does not like IEW because she does not like the check list you have to write from. I guess there is something that requires so many -ly adverbs and things like that. To be fair, I don't think this child would 'like' any program right now. ha

I think IEW went pretty well for the brief time we used it.

Thanks

Debbie

I am still not clear as to what the workbooks will contain? Are they just copies of the stories and questions? Is space given for the child to write? Will samples be available soon for the workbooks? This would help me to decide if it is worth $70 to buy two copies of Level 2 for my guys.

One last question...when will the Level 3 and 4 workbooks be ready?

I know SWB said the workbooks are NOT necessary to use the program. I am just trying to see how they save prep time.

I am still not clear as to what the workbooks will contain? Are they just copies of the stories and questions? Is space given for the child to write? Will samples be available soon for the workbooks? This would help me to decide if it is worth $70 to buy two copies of Level 2 for my guys.

One last question...when will the Level 3 and 4 workbooks be ready?

I know SWB said the workbooks are NOT necessary to use the program. I am just trying to see how they save prep time.

Samples can be seen at Peace Hill Press Just click on the Year 2 link.

Debbie,

Sorry it took me a couple of days to get back to this...the weekend happened.:)

Neither one of your kids needs to do any creative writing--it's absolutely NOT necessary for an educated person to write creatively. You either enjoy it, or you don't, and forcing a child who doesn't have a bent for creative writing to do creative assignments can result in a child who loathes ALL kinds of writing.

If I were you (and if you can swing it), I'd put the tenth grader into the IEW Student Classes on DVD series--starting with the writing intensive, then doing the continuation course, and aiming to finish up the high school essay at least by twelfth grade.

I'd start the seventh grader on Writing Strands, Book 5, finish the Writing Strands series, and then move her into the IEW student classes as well.

A word about IEW...I like the structure taught, but I personally dislike the dress-ups very much. "Style" should be a result of clear communication. Artificially teaching style can result in very awkward writing. So do the assignments...but I'd skip the dress-ups if I were you.

Let me know if you have more questions and I'll do my best to get back to you a little more promptly.

Thank you so much for helping me out. I have read over all our correspondence with my 10th grader and she is willing to do IEW again since it was recommended by Susan Wise Bauer, the college professor! :) She is all about wanting to be prepared for college. You helped me so much!!

I am glad you gave me 'permission' to skip some of that dress-up stuff because that is what we both dislike.:D

I am going to order the IEW and Writing Strands right away.

I think my younger daughter will do well with Writing Strands and the girls do not like working in the same programs not that they are older.

When you said to work through the Writing Strands levels, do you mean ALL of them or just the books that are numbered?

I know you are very busy so I really appreciate the help you have given me and I'm sure others will benefit from it as well.

Blessings

Debbie

So, I went over to Peace Hill to look at the workbook samples that just came up today (thanks Peace Hill, by the way!). They are labeled "teacher pages" and "student pages". I take it those are all in the one workbook. But, from looking at the teacher pages, does one need the Writing with Ease hardback? It looks as if the information from the hardback is reproduced in the workbook in the form of 'teacher pages." That may not be the case, but it appears that way from just looking at on line samples. I may be a little thick in the head and may not be seeing the obvious though.

I'm confused now ~ help!

This may be self-explanitory once there are samples for FLL4 but I'll ask anyway. The description under FLL4 says that it is made to work in conjunction with Writing with Ease - FLL4 being grammar, mechanics, punctuation and WWE being writing. But then WWE seems to be for 1st and 2nd grade. So I'm confused how they work together? Will that only be true later when there are more levels of the writing book? If so, does that mean that FLL4 isn't complete as far as writing goes until the 4th book for WWE is available?

Thanks

I am bumping this so maybe an answer will appear. My limited understanding is the workbook is just the assignments, not all the how it works overview for the grammar years. I am getting both.

I have pre-ordered the WWE book and workbooks 1 and 2. I have a 6yo old dd in first grade. If I were starting in grade two I would probably just buy book 2. My plan is to go through the 1st workbook with her at a faster pace (working through the summer)this year and start workbook 2 in second. Does this sound like a good idea or would we do just as well waiting until 2nd and starting book 2? Hope this makes sense. I have no idea as to how much books 1 and 2 overlap.

Thanks,

Sandy

My understanding is that the book explains the reasons why the curriculum is what it is and gives examples of how to implement it through the years. Somewhere on the website there was something about why the workbook made it easier. It said that the workbook had all of the 36 weeks scheduled, while the book gave you an example of one week and told you to do that for the next three weeks. If we order (I haven't made my mind up yet), we will get both. If you don't get the book, you will miss the reasons why and how. If you don't get the workbook, you will have to schedule things for narration and copywork. Hope this helps, it's what I understand about the program, maybe SWB will chime in and give a better explanation.

The hardback contains the how, the why, the overall plan, sample lessons--everything you need to construct your own writing plan for grades K-4 and integrate into your history and literature program.

The workbooks, one for each grade, spell out the plan for you.

It's modelled on the SOTW core texts and activity books. You can use either alone, but you'll get the full program if you get them together.

In addition, we know that some parents like to have a spelled-out day by day plan (provided in the workbooks), while some prefer more freedom to adjust basic principles of teaching to their own style.

Hope that clarifies...if you look at the current samples which are up, you'll see how Year One appears in the text, and how it is spelled out in the workbook.

OK, I get it. if you want want more leeway and freedom to choose your own copywork, dictation, you can use the hardback. If you want it planned for you, so you can "pick and and go" (as the CW people say), the workbook allows you to do that without having to prepare as much. Sounds great, thanks. I guess I didn't cooridinate the samples like I should have or that would have been apparant. But, it seems, from what was said, you "could" use the workbook alone, though it would not be advisable. (Not that I'm going to do that, but it appears that way, if you have an good grasp of the overall program and big picture).

We are going to be ordering FLL3 and the Writing w/ Ease curriculum for our next school year. I noticed at Peace Hill Press that workbooks 1 and 2 will be coming out soon. Will you be publishing a workbook 3 for 3rd grade soon? I know it isn't necessary, but as you have mentioned, the planning is done for me! Thanks.

I have FLL 1/2. I've been looking (drooling? LOL!) at Writing W/Ease and wondering if copywork, dictation and narration are all included in FLL 1/2 (and I'm guessing 3 and 4), would this separate Writing program be necessary? OR, would it be overkill? I'm thinking "out loud" here, but I wonder if I should just use Writing With Ease for the writing aspects and perhaps FLL solely for the grammar exercises or perhaps even R&S for grammar (as I have those texts as well)? Just thinking out loud here. So, SWB (or anyone familiar), how would these two books best work together (I did read the note at the website about how they work together, but was that only for FLL4 or the other levels as well?). TIA!

For a second grader, yes. WWE walks you through the progression from copywork to dictation and trains the student in finding the central details in narratives, descriptions, etc.--important writing skills. The FLL work is intended mainly for reinforcing the grammar skills.

If I were you I'd get the text first, and wait on the workbook until you've looked through the text and you're sure you need it.

SWB

I'm trying to determine which level to order for next year. We just recieved FLL and have started going through it. I anticipate that we will be at the beginning of the 2nd part by the beginning of next year. Right now my dd is doing Sonlight's LA1 (without problems). It has copywork of 2-3 sentences and narrations of 3-4 sentences all of which she is able to do. I like Sonlight's LA, but it is missing some pieces and looking at the samples of Writing w/ Ease it seems more in line with what I want to be doing. I am definately going to order the book, but I am unsure what to do about the workbook. So my questions... Is she ready for the second workbook of Writing with Ease? Or should I just get the book and go through Level 1 and 2 at an accelerated pace over the next school year? Or should I just start with the first workbook since it is technically her first grade year? Thanks for the advice!