Menu

The Complete Writer: Writing with Ease (WWE) -- All separate threads merged here

Colleen in NS

I know there was a HUGE thread on this, and my eyes drooped reading all of it.

I get it, but the workbooks for the levels they have out now are probably to "young" for her. She will be in 4th/5th this year. I know you can use the book without the workbooks. But does the book give you suggestions on "where" to find passages to use for dictation/copywork?

I have the Harp and the Laurel Wreath, can I use that?

Also, from what I understand, I can use FLL 4 with this?

What does SWB recommend after FLL4, is it Rod and Staff? I like R+S but LOATHE diagramming.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

None of us have seen the book so no idea about suggestions. TWTM always suggested bits from the child's science, history, or current reading book.

Yes, FLL4 is supposed to be the other half for WWE. R&S is recommended after FLL4.

I LOATHE diagramming as well, so we aren't doing those bits of it. My guys used GWG4 this year and we just skipped the diagramming lessons. Making it work for us is what I try to keep in mind. If a bit doesn't fit and isn't, as I see it, essential, we skip it.

HTH!

So it seems for someone just learning to write, Susan is recommending FLL and WWE together for the grammar stage.

I have also read good things about WT. How does this compare?

Thanks!

I was wondering this too. As it stands now, I can only find samples for 1. A sample from the third grade program would help me choose between the two.

I do know that writing tales includes grammar and a little bit of creativity, and my guess is that WWE has neither in 3&4.

Working on it!

SWB

Okay, I delved into a few pages and see the third year samples are being worked on! yay!

I want to add to SWB Thank You for writing this program. I was not happy with any others out there, and the task of doing it myself without direction seemed daunting and time consuming. This was exactly what I was looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

If you look at the top of the curriculum board here, there's a sticky thread on WWE. I think any threads about WWE get merged into it.

If you already knew that and just wanted more specific info, I guess I'm not all that helpful after all. ;)

*edit* According to http://www.peacehillpress.com, they're expecting a mid-summer release.

Hopefully Susan can answer this. I use FFL 1 now with a first grader; I am wondering now what the similarities and differences might be between IEW and WWE? Also will Peacehill press be at HEAV? Will WWE be available for purchase there?

or is it necessary to add another program to it? It seems like a lot of people add another program. I am planning 5th and 6th grade next year. I am VERY pleased with R&S Grammar, and I think my boys have learned some writing too. I have Writing Strands through Level 5, which I like more than earlier levels. I like the looks of Wordsmith for my oldest and Wordsmith Apprentice for the next boy, but I don't want to do too many programs. I agree with you about the dress-ups in IEW. That has never appealed to me either. I do use narration, copywork, and dictation in the early grades. They will continue to write summaries and outlines next year.

I am very excited to get Writing With Ease for my girls, grades 3, 2, and later, my four year old.

So I don't have lots of extra time to teach writing, but I want to do a thorough job and keep my boys moving forward in that area. What are your recommendations?

I hope to see you in Atlanta in July. Thanks so much! Lillian

WWE is just the writing portion...no grammar instruction is included. SWB suggests FLL as the perfect compliment. There is a little explanation about how the two programs work together on the PeaceHill Press home page.

HTH!

or is it necessary to add another program to it? It seems like a lot of people add another program. I am planning 5th and 6th grade next year. I am VERY pleased with R&S Grammar, and I think my boys have learned some writing too. I have Writing Strands through Level 5, which I like more than earlier levels. I like the looks of Wordsmith for my oldest and Wordsmith Apprentice for the next boy, but I don't want to do too many programs. I agree with you about the dress-ups in IEW. That has never appealed to me either. I do use narration, copywork, and dictation in the early grades. They will continue to write summaries and outlines next year.

Lillian,

R&S is a good program, but I think adding Wordsmith and Wordsmith Apprentice to it would help to fill in some of the areas R&S doesn't cover--R&S will teach you how to do all the standard school-type papers, but Wordsmith will give you a wider range. Also, you should feel free to skip writing exercises in R&S that strike you as unnecessarily repetitive.

I haven't been very good at keeping up with this thread, but I'll try to keep answering questions as they're posted.

SWB

Hopefully Susan can answer this. I use FFL 1 now with a first grader; I am wondering now what the similarities and differences might be between IEW and WWE? Also will Peacehill press be at HEAV? Will WWE be available for purchase there?

WWE is specifically intended for BEGINNING writers--it is meant to teach children the basics of putting words on paper. Go to peacehillpress.com and read the chapters posted online (particularly Chapter 3)-- the purpose of the program is laid out there. IEW is useful for kids who've already mastered the basics of writing.

We won't be at HEAV (sorry!).

SWB

I have a ds13 who has a learning disability in language. He is reading on about a 4th grade reading level and he can copy a verse of scripture without much difficulty (he is able to do the copying, but it takes him a while). We have not really attempted dictation. He is still struggling with narration. He can do a 3-4 sentence oral narration from a section of a chapter from SOTW, but he requires several leading questions and assistance in organizing his sentences. This year, he did R&S grammar 2 with minimal to moderate assistance and he is through the majority of the book. I am wondering if FLL and WWE could be a good fit for him. If so, what level would you suggest as an appropriate starting place for him?

Thanks in advance for your time.

I think I would start him in FLL3, planning on moving slowly (take two years to finish the book if necessary) and also in Writing With Ease, starting with the central text and also the Level Two workbook--if he's copying, he doesn't need to do the first workbook. The second will give him plenty of dictation and narration practice without overwhelming him.

I can't remember, when are pre-orders supposed to ship? Soon, right? (My email has been wonky, so I hope I don't miss the email for payment/ shipping info).

Oh, no! I went and checked PHP website, and it looks like I've missed the pre-order window for the WWE workbooks. I was waiting on samples of the third year portion of the textbook to decide whether or not I should go through year 2 (with workbook) or year 3 (without workbook).

I can't wait to get the email about payment. I know, what kind of weirdo looks forward to getting an email asking for money? LOL The kind that's been in desperate need of a good writing program to fit her child for the last 2 years. That kind of weirdo would be me:tongue_smilie:

Here at the Peace Hill Press office, we are working hard to notify our customers that have preordered Writing with Ease and WWE workbook 1. We are notifying everyone via email at the rate of one hundred or so a day. Please be patient, we will get to everyone on the list. If you would like to go ahead and call our office to give us your payment information, please call during regular business hours (9am to 3pm) eastern time. Then disregard the general email when you recieve it. We are planning to ship the books right around the end of the month. Thank you in advance for your patience.

:grouphug: Kim and the Folks at Peace Hill

The workbook will give you specific passages for copywork, narration and dictation exercises, presented for the child. The main text book WWE will give you "how to" but you will have to decide what passages you will have your DC copy, narrate, etc. and find a way to present them. Hope I explained that well. I have decided to go with just the text for now.

I am also confused. I see that there is a sample of the student pages and the teacher pages (in addition to the text sample chapters). Are the "parent pages" in the textbook, a separate PARENT workbook or part of the STUDENT workbook? I like the parent pages and want them, but I'm not sure in which book they are located?

:confused::confused:

Thanks!

Jina

I am also confused. I see that there is a sample of the student pages and the teacher pages (in addition to the text sample chapters). Are the "parent pages" in the textbook, a separate PARENT workbook or part of the STUDENT workbook? I like the parent pages and want them, but I'm not sure in which book they are located?Jina

Hi Jina, I was able to look through the galleys for WWE at the WHO Convention this last weekend. The Parent page and Student page examples you see at the PHP site are both contained in the Year One Student Workbook. The workbook has the teacher (or parent) pages in the front which tell the teacher exactly what to say and do. The back portion of the workbook has worksheets that the student can actually fill in. I hope that makes sense.

Hi Jina, I was able to look through the galleys for WWE at the WHO Convention this last weekend. The Parent page and Student page examples you see at the PHP site are both contained in the Year One Student Workbook. The workbook has the teacher (or parent) pages in the front which tell the teacher exactly what to say and do. The back portion of the workbook has worksheets that the student can actually fill in. I hope that makes sense.

That's absolutely right--the workbooks are designed like the Story of the World Activity Books, with all parent instructions in the front and consumable worksheets at the back. Each workbook lays out complete lessons for one year. The central Writing With Ease text gives you the philosophy, the overall plan, an overview of Grades 1-4, a how-to for parents who want to pick their own texts from history and science instead of using the texts we provide in the workbooks, and guidance in trouble-shooting common writing problems.

SWB

Will we still need to do a separate handwriting curriculum - or is that part of WWE? I can't figure out if this is handwriting, composition, narration, dictation, ??? I saw a post that says it works along with FLL...I guess I just need to know if I should continue with a separate handwriting program if I plan to use WWE. I have a first grader this year. We started last year with HWT because of fine motor delay. Trying to figure out if he'll be able to use this program or not.

Thanks.

Jina

I didn't ready EVERY post in the sticky thread above about WWE (too many, and it began to add to my confusion).

Can anyone tell me why you would need both First Language Lessons and Writing With Ease for 1st grade when PHP's website even says "The only book you need to teach grammar and writing for first and second grade" about First Language Lessons?

We are only using FLL for that for that reason, it just seemed like overkill. We are already narrating in history and science, all I did was add alittle copywork and I think that's plenty for first.

However, I am planning on buying the book later this year so that I can become a better teacher. I would like to read SWB philosophy on teaching writing and apply those things to what we are already doing.

Not sure if it's the reasoning, but maybe for people, that only need or are only looking for a writing curriculum. My kids didn't do well with the way FLL presented grammar so we use something else, but I need something for writing and none of the other programs have worked. So instead of having an all encompassing program like FLL, WWE gives me just the specific area I need.

Just a thought, clear as mud hey? :001_smile:

why did this get moved!?! The reason I made a separate thread is because this monstrous one is unruly and ineffective for finding information :mad:

I was hoping for an answer, but over here feels like being in a black hole. Hope someone can answer my question, which I will restate just in case you missed it on the previous page:

Can anyone tell me why you would need both First Language Lessons and Writing With Ease for 1st grade when PHP's website even says "The only book you need to teach grammar and writing for first and second grade" about First Language Lessons?

All WWE questions are combined into 1 thread because they are easier for Susan to find and answer that way. She doesn't have time to constantly search for all of the separate threads. In addition, when people call the office and want to know more about WWE, we direct them to this one thread so they don't have to search all over the forums.

There is a "Search this Thread" option at the top of the page that may help you find something more specific within this thread.

Hope that helps.

:confused1:

I was thinking FLL might be enough as well. But if so, why develop WWE?

bumping in hopes someone has a definitive answer

Hmm, I'm only guessing here. I plan to use WWE but am not doing any formal grammar for 1st & 2nd grade.

Maybe it can be used if you are using another grammar program (as someone has mentioned) or if you are not using anything formal at the time:glare: like I said, I'm just taking a wild guess.

This gets me thinking, can you use WWE without using a formal grammar program? Will it still work? I think it will. They know some basic grammar. Can't wait to get my hands on WWE.

Sorry I added more questions than answers. Maybe Susan will answer soon.

Blessings,

Guest JustOneQuestion

Hi Susan,

I just have one question.

My daughter will be starting 2nd grade this fall, but I will be enrolling her in public school for 3rd grade due to a divorce/my needing to go back to work.

She is a slow/weak reader with excellent comprehension, and a weak writer. She can copy, but it takes her a very long time and she gets frustrated after just one or two sentences. She is also still getting letters confused like lowercase d's and b's and when she is spelling a word to me that she can't read she calls lowercase l's a "line". In any case, she isn't writing or spelling much.

I have been focusing on intensive phonics instruction with her, but I think she may have a learning disability and I will be looking into evaluation soon.

Considering her ability I realize level 1 is a better fit, however I need her to be ready for 3rd grade in a good public school in 15 months which makes me feel like I need to start her on two. I don't have much money, and I will definitely be buying either workbook 1 or 2.

In your honest opinion, if she completes workbook 1, will she be ok in public school grade 3?

Thank you for your time,

JustOneQuestion

Hi Susan,

I just have one question.

My daughter will be starting 2nd grade this fall, but I will be enrolling her in public school for 3rd grade due to a divorce/my needing to go back to work.

She is a slow/weak reader with excellent comprehension, and a weak writer. She can copy, but it takes her a very long time and she gets frustrated after just one or two sentences. She is also still getting letters confused like lowercase d's and b's and when she is spelling a word to me that she can't read she calls lowercase l's a "line". In any case, she isn't writing or spelling much.

I have been focusing on intensive phonics instruction with her, but I think she may have a learning disability and I will be looking into evaluation soon.

Considering her ability I realize level 1 is a better fit, however I need her to be ready for 3rd grade in a good public school in 15 months which makes me feel like I need to start her on two. I don't have much money, and I will definitely be buying either workbook 1 or 2.

In your honest opinion, if she completes workbook 1, will she be ok in public school grade 3?

Thank you for your time,

JustOneQuestion

Not Susan, obviously, but your dd sounds very much like my younger son. With what you described, even after completing level 1, I don't think your dd would be ready for 3rd grade. I haven't SEEN this curriculum other than samples, but from what you described, I would probably put her in 2nd grade. My ds was diagnosed with dyslexia and dysgraphia. Dyslexia means "having difficulty reading". I don't want to scare you, but since you said you were going to have some testing done, I wanted to throw that out there to you. Read Overcoming Dyslexia....a very good read.

Guest JustOneQuestion

Thank you for your feedback Penny :)

Putting her in second grade (repeating) isn't an option, she is gifted in math (she has recently started 5th grade math), music (she is playing violin and piano with ease and perfection at a late middle school level), art, science (she virtually dissected a frog last week and gave an oral report on it's detail, anatomy, biology and function) and social studies (she helped start an innovative recycling program in our community) and is between 3rd and 8th grade in these subjects currently , she is socially on target and will probably be in the schools gifted program. Her comprehension is excellent, she just can't seem to make sense of letters (doesn't seem to have the same problem with reading numbers - just writing them). It doesn't make sense to me to hold her back because she needs extra help and time in language arts.

Thank you for your feedback Penny :)

Putting her in second grade (repeating) isn't an option, she is gifted in math (she has recently started 5th grade math), music (she is playing violin and piano with ease and perfection at a late middle school level), art, science (she virtually dissected a frog last week and gave an oral report on it's detail, anatomy, biology and function) and social studies (she helped start an innovative recycling program in our community) and is between 3rd and 8th grade in these subjects currently , she is socially on target and will probably be in the schools gifted program. Her comprehension is excellent, she just can't seem to make sense of letters (doesn't seem to have the same problem with reading numbers - just writing them). It doesn't make sense to me to hold her back because she needs extra help and time in language arts.

She definitely has some problems with the language area though. Which could possibly be dyslexia. Maybe SWB will be able to help, but I do think you'll need to do some testing like you were already planning on doing. Are you reading these other things to her (like the science?). It is very possible for her to have either dyslexia and/or dysgraphia and still be way ahead in the other areas as you've described. I'm really not adding anything new to what you already know other than the recommendation for the book. Does the school have some way to help her in these areas and yet still keep her in the gifted program for the others? I don't know how they could put her in the gifted area if the language area is so far behind. Sorry I couldn't add more. I just wanted to prepare you for what may possibly be coming. The "evil" you know is the one you can defeat.