Menu

The Complete Writer: Writing with Ease (WWE) -- All separate threads merged here

Colleen in NS

Is Volume 2 a book for logic stage writing? If so, do you have any time frame (like say, in the next four years, as ds is starting 5th grade next year :)) for when you hope this will be published? How about Volume 3 (rhetoric? publication timeframe?)?

Did you mention elsewhere that the series is based on your writing CD? I took extensive notes on that CD (just in grammar stage so far - it was a learning curve for me!) and I'm wondering if the books would expand on what you talk about on the CD. If so, how?

Finally, would you recommend your writing book series in ADDITION to R&S writing exercises, or instead of, or any combination of the two? If so, why and for what levels?

Thanks so much! I'm trying to determine if I should purchase Volume 1 for any reason.....and of course, if I should purchase the others when they come out. :)

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Volume 2 will cover logic stage (5-8) and Volume 3 will cover high school (9-12). No pub schedule yet (sorry!). But you have good options available for logic and rhetoric-stage options--it's the development of those basic writing skills that I find REALLY lacking in writing programs.

Yes, the books expand on the writing CD, giving much more detailed year-by-year breakdowns of what skills to teach when and how.

The writing book needs a grammar program to go along w/it, but you wouldn't do the R&S writing (or any other writing program) along with it.

HTH

Haha...you're being funny. Of course I'll be waiting to order it from Peace Hill! :) I'm so excited.

What ages/grade would you call Level 1 most for? What, if anything, would you recommend students have completed before beginning? We've been using R&S English for a few years. One more question to bug you with: you don't recommend using R&S for writing along with but R&S has SO much writing in its English. Do you prefer an alternative grammar for approximately 4th - 5th grade to go along with your new writing curriculum?

Thank you!

So, Susan, if we are going to have a fifth grader next year - who's not that great a writer, could we start them in the first book? Or should we wait for the second book? I'm hesitant about trying Writing Strands with my younger son.....

Thanks!

(And when are you going to write a great logic series for us, by the way?)

Regena

Volume 2 will cover logic stage (5-8) and Volume 3 will cover high school (9-12). No pub schedule yet (sorry!). But you have good options available for logic and rhetoric-stage options--it's the development of those basic writing skills that I find REALLY lacking in writing programs.

Yes, the books expand on the writing CD, giving much more detailed year-by-year breakdowns of what skills to teach when and how.

The writing book needs a grammar program to go along w/it, but you wouldn't do the R&S writing (or any other writing program) along with it.

HTH

So, do you think R&S writing exercises are still good options for logic/rhetoric stage, along with the recommendations on your writing CD/in the WTM? Or will your Volumes 2 and 3 be intended to replace that option?

And, do you think that in grammar stage, if a student is using the methods outlined in your writing CD, that R&S writing exercises are NOT needed (I've been using them for 3rd and 4th grade)??

I'm probably going to buy all three books - that volume 1 if only for the essay you mentioned - but I'm sure I'll get a lot more out of it for my dd7, and to make sure I've covered everything for ds9. :)

Thanks for your help.

Volume 1 is primarily narration work and copywork; Volume 2 is more advanced narration work and dictation. If your older student can 1) tell you what he wants to write, even if he can't get it down on paper, and 2) take 2-3 sentences at a time from dictation, he's probably past the skills being taught.

does that make sense?

Colleen....

volumes 2 & 3 will, eventually be an alternative to R&S writing...but if they're not ready by the time YOU are, Rod & Staff-- or Classical Writing, or IEW, or the other programs that we've recommended, would be absolutely fine.

The thing is: I've still got to finish writing the history of the world.

And I still feel that the grammar-stage skills are NOT well taught, whereas there are many more good resources available for the later stages.

Colleen....

volumes 2 & 3 will, eventually be an alternative to R&S writing...but if they're not ready by the time YOU are, Rod & Staff-- or Classical Writing, or IEW, or the other programs that we've recommended, would be absolutely fine.

And I still feel that the grammar-stage skills are NOT well taught, whereas there are many more good resources available for the later stages.

OK, I get it - sounds like volumes 2 and 3 are far down the road, in favour of the history books over the next few years, and that volume 1 is filling a current urgent need.

I'll just dig back into the writing CD this spring and take notes on logic stage and come back here with more questions, as needed, for all the experienced teachers-of-writing.

Do you mind just answering the other question from my previous post - do you think a 3rd and 4th grader, who is doing the writing CD recs, needs to do the R&S writing exercises (we've been doing them, as we go through the R&S books)?

Thanks for taking the time, and I promise this is the last question for now. :)

if a third or fourth grader is doing regular narrations, writing those narrations down, and doing dictation, CONSCIENTIOUSLY, than I don't think you necessarily need to do the R&S writing as well. That can be a lot of fine motor work, especially for boys.

SWB

P.S. The writing CD, by the way, is at peacehillpress.com.

What I meant was the R&S writing *lessons,* not ds writing out answers to all of the R&S grammar/writing lessons. We do most of R&S orally anyway, including the writing lessons, BECAUSE we do the dictation and narrations every week - with ds writing himself.

I just wondered if you thought the 3rd and 4th grade R&S writing lesson concepts were even necessary if we are doing all the dictation and narrations.

I have a feeling I can just go over the concepts of the writing lessons in 4th, without feeling like he has to write out the writing lesson activities. But I'll just look ahead into my R&S 5th TM to see how they cover these concepts that are in the 4th grade book - no need for you to answer again. :)

FLL3 and the new writing program would be a perfect combo for a third grader--you'd just skip the optional dictations in FLL 3 so as not to overdo the handwriting.

And Colleen--I was referring not to the writing out of the grammar exercises, but to the writing exercises that are interspersed.

(We do about half of the grammar exercises orally anyway; don't know about you.)

:oOoops, OK! My misunderstanding. I'm trying to piece together different "teaching writing" info. from these boards today.

Currently we do all - not half - of the grammar exercises orally - I'm still a paranoid homeschooler, still want to make sure kids are getting what they need, but regularly tell oldest child that he will survive being my guinea pig (I'm an oldest child, too), LOL! (I really have eased up on a lot of things, though, heh heh):D

Somehow this gives me the mental image of SWB sitting at a rock chiseling out the history of the world! (I must have been up way too late last night.)

Will the writing program be available to preview at the Midwest Convention the end of March??? (Pretty please.)

Hmmm...not sure why I can't get that quote to clip and still show up correctly!

• 2 weeks later...

Will samples of the workbooks be available soon? Are they required to use the program? What do the workbooks contain? Is the price correct for each workbook? Would this be appropriate to use with older (9 and 11 yrs) children with little writing training?

And lastly, when will level 2 be ready? No pressure....:D

I do realize a wonderful writing CD has been made that probably answers many of my questions. Unfortunately, I am hearing impaired so anything auditory like that is very difficult for me to use effectively. Would it be possible to purchase a transcript of the tape?

Thank you so much for your time and books.

Is year 2, second grade? So, if I'm looking at it for writing for my 3rd grader next year it wouldn't work? I'm a little confused in looking at the samples as to what year it is for. But, the samples look really good, I just can't figure out for what grade it is used. :confused:

Have you looked at it? Whaddya think?

young children progress at very different rates through acquiring the skills. The levels are roughly equivalent to grades, but reluctant writers may need to start at a lower level. Essentially:

if your child can do copywork well, but struggles a bit with one to two sentence dictations, start with Level 2,

if your child struggles with three to four sentence dictation and/or has difficulty with coherent, brief summaries, start with Level 3,

if your (slightly older) child can think of what to write but can't get it on paper, start with Level 4.

There are diagnostic tests in the Writing With Ease text to help you place your student.

In answer to the questions...

it's DESIGNED to be used without the workbook, the workbook just reduces your prep time.

And yes, IMO it would be perfect for a struggling fifth grader.

SWB

Could you define "struggling" a bit more concretely?

My now-4th gr ds knows exactly what he wants to say. It is usually "more" rather than "less".

However, he does not proof for spelling or capitalization or punctuation as he goes. And, since many of his sentences structures are more complex than what he's learned to punctuate via R&S-4, I help quite a bit with that. He does have a problem with run-ons.

So, is that "struggling"?

And, should I be helping him catch his errors as he writes - for example, his history narrations? Right now, I go over them with him the next day. (And he does catch some without my help.)

Thanks for the sample! :)

Another question - and maybe "I'm" just missing something.....

but is FLL4 the bk that is designed to go with WWE? If I use WWE that would be great to have FLL mesh with it - but.... we are finishing up FLL2 and would only be starting FLL3 when we would be starting WWE..... will it still work out as well together?

I am assuming this quote was talking about FLL4 just because it was written underneath it.

from peacehillpress:

First Language Lessons and Writing With Ease are designed to be used together. First Language Lessons covers grammar, punctuation, and mechanics; Writing With Ease covers actual writing skills. The two books are structured so that the exercises in Writing With Ease help to reinforce the concepts learned in First Language Lessons.
ty

Yes, Pster, from what I'm understanding here you would use FLL 3 with year 3 of the writing book. You have two separate books - grammar (FLL) and writing (WWE). WWE also has workbooks coming out - year 1 and year 2's workbooks will be out this summer. However, you can use WWE without the workbooks, like for our 3rd graders next year. :) Choices, choices!!! :)

I'd like to pre-order the Writing with Ease text as well, but what workbook would go with it? Workbook 2? My son will be in 3rd grade. He can do copywork and dictation, a few sentences at a time as long as I read slowly. He is doing Character Quality Language Arts now, but I feel it is too much for him, esp. the writing. There hasn't been enough teaching HOW to write before requiring original composition pieces, IMO.