Menu

What is with all of the sinkholes?

Excelsior! Academy

Fracking is causing world wide sink holes.

There's no fracking near the sinkhole that opened up recently in western Kansas (200-300 feet wide and 90 feet deep). They still don't know what caused it.

"It occurred naturally and does not appear to be the result of groundwater depletion or oil or gas drilling, said Rex Buchanan, interim director of the Kansas Geological Survey."

What are sinkholes?  And trains?  

Seriously?

Sinkholes are the big holes that open up in the earth, Florida has had several recently, there is a giant pollution filled nightmare of one in Louisiana right now, Kansas has a new large one.

Heck, there is a scary one in the place between our neighborhood and the next one over thanks to a poorly built pond.

Sinkholes terrify me.  I had a small one on my lawn when I moved in, now I have 2 more around it and one is getting deep enough my whole foot can fit into it, and across the pathway on the other side of my lawn a new one is forming.  They are still small and shallow but I am always paranoid they are going to cave in one of these days.  Our town was built on a swamp and the water table is high, I think that is posing the problem for my lawn.  The bigger ones are so scary.

As for trains, yeah it has been weird.  In the town 45 minutes from me a couple weeks ago a cattle truck randomly tipped over and 2 cows had to be put down.  Then a couple hours later on the same road but a few blocks down a train randomly tipped over and derailed.  It was very freaky that they did that, and it is still being investigated.  Thank goodness it wasn't like the train derailment in Quebec.

http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/sinkholes.html

One of the sections from this site says:

Areas prone to collapse sinkholes

The map below shows areas of the United States where certain rock types that are susceptible to dissolution in water occur. In these areas the formation of underground cavities can form and catastrophic sinkholes can happen. These rock types are evaporites (salt, gypsum, and anhydrite) and carbonates (limestone and dolomite). Evaporite rocks underlie about 35 to 40 percent of the United States, though in many areas they are buried at great depths.

Seriously?

Sinkholes are the big holes that open up in the earth, Florida has had several recently, there is a giant pollution filled nightmare of one in Louisiana right now, Kansas has a new large one.

Heck, there is a scary one in the place between our neighborhood and the next one over thanks to a poorly built pond.

No. I'm just in denial that they exist. Very creepy.

Sinkholes are not new, I think it's just a fad in the 24-hr news cycle that's bringing them to our attention a little more. Here's an old-ish article (2008) that discusses some historic ones. Fuel for the nightmares? ;)

Um...that link was a little creepy. I did notice more than one in Florida. Marking that state off of possible places to live. Ya'll have some pretty big snakes, snails, and now, sinkholes!

Um...that link was a little creepy. I did notice more than one in Florida. Marking that state off of possible places to live. Ya'll have some pretty big snakes, snails, and now, sinkholes!

And hurricanes, and tornados, and pythons mating with poisonous snakes, and the love bug mating season, and hanging chads, and gators, and stifling humidity, and shark attacks, and too many Ron Jon billboards...

I am very sorry my dear Floridian Hivers, but your state scares the geewillikers out of me!

And hurricanes, and tornados, and pythons mating with poisonous snakes, and the love bug mating season, and hanging chads, and gators, and stifling humidity, and shark attacks, and too many Ron Jon billboards...

I am very sorry my dear Floridian Hivers, but your state scares the geewillikers out of me!

It's not funny at all, but I did think of you when I heard about the brothers who were killed by the python.

It's not funny at all, but I did think of you when I heard about the brothers who were killed by the python.

Me too.  Poor boys, it is being called a murder now.  Shady business that case.

There has been so many comments over the years about Florida there is no way I would want to live there.

Keeps the tourists from hanging around after they've spent all their $$$$!

A terrible, horrible tragedy. But how is it murder? I guess you're implying there's more to the story. So sad.

The mother had started posting pictures of the boys playing in and helping clean the python's tank from the last year.  Not too much has been said other than it is being investigated as a murder now instead of an accident.  I figured given that the snake was illegal it would be a manslaughter charge but investigators seem to be finding information to substantiate a murder investigation.  Until the investigation is done and more information released we won't know for sure but that is what is being said now.