Menu

What exactly a royal family does??

jennynd

It seems they just show up in public with pretty dress and expensive jewelries. What else do they do??

I know that the Queen has to sign on some "legislation" to make it finalized. But it is not like she can really say no if it already pass the prime minister and already through the voting process, right??

It seems it is just a symbol... a very expensive symbol.

It's a way (these days) of dividing the ceremonial from the political.  In the US, for example, the president spends a lot of time being nice to foreign potentates, visiting major projects, turning up for national holidays..... The royal family does all that in the UK as well as being a (theoretically) neutral figure head for the nation and commonwealth.

They also bring in a lot of money from tourism.  I suspect that this more than covers their expenses.

L

It's a way (these days) of dividing the ceremonial from the political.  In the US, for example, the president spends a lot of time being nice to foreign potentates, visiting major projects, turning up for national holidays..... The royal family does all that in the UK as well as being a (theoretically) neutral figure head for the nation and commonwealth.

They also bring in a lot of money from tourism.  I suspect that this more than covers their expenses.

L

You have got to be kidding me. I don't mean to be cranky, but it would bring in more money to just open up the castles and stuff and charge the public. That's what the people really want to see anyway. Look at the tourist sites all over France and the money that pours in, and they don't have to pay for any monarchy.

You have got to be kidding me. I don't mean to be cranky, but it would bring in more money to just open up the castles and stuff and charge the public. That's what the people really want to see anyway. Look at the tourist sites all over France and the money that pours in, and they don't have to pay for any monarchy.

No, I do think more people come because of the monarchy than would just come to see the buildings.  We'll have to disagree on that.

L

The British Monarchy website has a section on the role of the Monarchy. It includes a sections on the duties of the Queen, other members of the royal family and the relationship of the Monarchy to various areas of the Government & churches of Great Britain. 

I read that, and that is what I thought exactly. They just show up in pretty dresses/hat and expensive jewlery and wave their hands.. Thats it..

I love Princess Diana becuase she involved charity and all. She is truely  beautiful person. But the others.. Nah,,,I have no high opinion on most of those. They just happen to be born in that family. I have no respect for those.

As much as money goes, I actually heard that the royal family brought in more tax money (than land and all that, not toruist) than they spend.. Not sure how true is that

I read that, and that is what I thought exactly. They just show up in pretty dresses/hat and expensive jewlery and wave their hands.. Thats it..

I think that the point is (for me) that most countries have a bunch of people (presidents, governors, prime ministers) who do all the wearing of smart clothes and waving on top of their 'real' jobs.  In the UK it's just split out to one hereditary group.  So it doesn't really matter whether they are highly worthwhile or intelligent people.  Their point is the hereditary prestige when they come to open a new wing of your school.  

Personally I'm glad that they are prepared to be bored at public events so that the rest of us don't have to do it.  I respect the queen because she's been doing exactly that for sixty years.  I'd be in a lunatic asylum by now if I were her.  I'm not at all starry-eyed or - apart from trying to explain things in threads like these - even very interested.  I just think they have a purpose.

FWIW, however, both Harry and William serve in the military.  William is an air-sea rescue pilot.

L

To be honest it's not like we have any shortage of stately homes or castles, they're everywhere littering the countryside, struggling with upkeep and open to the public. I think it's nice that the royal stately homes/castles are in use and many of them are open to the public for tours so make money any way.

There are 19 castles and something like 70-80 stately/historic homes in my county alone.

Prince Charles also lobbies to get the NHS to cover things like homeopathy: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/hes-at-it-again-prince-charles-accused-of-lobbying-health-secretary-over-homeopathy-8723145.html

Even though homeopathy has been proven again and again not to work and has led to children dying who received no other treatment. :(

I think that the point is (for me) that most countries have a bunch of people (presidents, governors, prime ministers) who do all the wearing of smart clothes and waving on top of their 'real' jobs.  In the UK it's just split out to one hereditary group.  So it doesn't really matter whether they are highly worthwhile or intelligent people.  Their point is the hereditary prestige when they come to open a new wing of your school.  

I seriously think that legislators should only have to concentrate on their very important work, not on being the entertainment committee!

Personally I'm glad that they are prepared to be bored at public events so that the rest of us don't have to do it.  I respect the queen because she's been doing exactly that for sixty years.  I'd be in a lunatic asylum by now if I were her.  I'm not at all starry-eyed or - apart from trying to explain things in threads like these - even very interested.  I just think they have a purpose.

FWIW, however, both Harry and William serve in the military.  William is an air-sea rescue pilot.

I love this! Totally think that was brilliant.

L

I like the royal family because they seem to stay out of politics. No matter what party is in political power, the royals are still doing what they do year after year.

I would not be surprised if other members of the royal family are similarly as charitably involved as Diana, but she got so much attention for her work because she seemed so warm and beautiful and personable. Charles seems to be portrayed in the press as rather cold, but he conceivably could be just as caring and interested in others, but it is just not as broadcast as Diana's work was.

I think it's a nice way to divide up ceremonial and legislative duties of government.

Yup. We have the Governor General in Canada, the Queen`s representative here, and he/plays much the same role. I think it's sensible to have a figurehead that's mostly separate from the actual elected ruler. It often seems to me that American presidents are given a certain patriotic and unquestioning romantic respect that a Canadian would never give their Prime Minister. And no Prime Minister gets to keep that title after they leave office.

So it's useful to have a ceremonial figure to offload all that on so that when you look at your elected leader it's with a clearer, more practical view.

I love Princess Diana becuase she involved charity and all. She is truely  beautiful person. But the others.. Nah,,,I have no high opinion on most of those. They just happen to be born in that family. I have no respect for those.

As much as money goes, I actually heard that the royal family brought in more tax money (than land and all that, not toruist) than they spend.. Not sure how true is that

I "think" that you'd want to research some of the others before judging.  I think they all do their fair share of charity work, and all.  We all know about Diana's work because she was followed incessently by the press, because the whole world "loved" her.  Press followed her because she made $$ for them (by the fact people purposed the publications to read about her).    That doesn't mean the other members of the Royal family are not just as involved in charities.  It simply means the press/paparazzi don't follow them as closely.    But to say there's no respect because they don't do anything or aren't worthwhile besides their DNA, sounds like there's been no real effort to look into what it is they actually do before making a judgement.

The sons, as others have stated, are in the military and actually do real jobs.  Prince Charles is out of the country now, doing some sort of charity tour thing, and not even going to see his 1st grandson for a few weeks due to this trip.  He's not on vacation.

So just food for thought :).

I "think" that you'd want to research some of the others before judging.  I think they all do their fair share of charity work, and all.  We all know about Diana's work because she was followed incessently by the press, because the whole world "loved" her.  Press followed her because she made $$ for them (by the fact people purposed the publications to read about her).    That doesn't mean the other members of the Royal family are not just as involved in charities.  It simply means the press/paparazzi don't follow them as closely.    But to say there's no respect because they don't do anything or aren't worthwhile besides their DNA, sounds like there's been no real effort to look into what it is they actually do before making a judgement.

The sons, as others have stated, are in the military and actually do real jobs.  Prince Charles is out of the country now, doing some sort of charity tour thing, and not even going to see his 1st grandson for a few weeks due to this trip.  He's not on vacation.

Yes.  The Princess Royal is patron of a lot of charities.  That wouldn't necessarily mean that much, but she takes on over 600 public engagements per year.  At least two a day plus travelling time 300 days a year doesn't sound like nothing.

A typical recent day included:

Morning:

The Princess Royal visited Hill End Farm, near Halifax, in West Yorkshire, where she met the owners who have had success making cheese from their small dairy herd.

Afternoon:

The Princess visited Halifax Opportunities Trust, Elsie Whiteley Innovation Centre. She was able to meet people who briefed her on the town’s ideas for furthering employment in the region.

Her Royal Highness later opened the Oncology Centre at St. James's University Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds, where she met staff and patients.

Evening:

As Patron, Hearing Dogs for Deaf People, the Princess attended a Dinner at Harewood House, Harewood, where supporters of the charity were able to meet to discuss the latest developments and projects of the charity.

L

I am really tired of hearing "the royal baby... Who cares?" Comments everywhere. What a dull world we would live in without things like princes and princesses. Doesn't every little girl want to be a princess and every boy a knight? I personally love that I can show my children pictures of real royalty living in our time. The way people talk about it, it seems we should have nothing but extremely useful things. Be gone with flower gardens, be gone with architecture and just build sensible square houses, be gone with pretty dresses and dress like the Amish.

All that said, I don't think the royals are useless. They all participate in charities and giving back to the people in their own ways. They are very much about duty and consider it their job to do so. How are they any different than a sports hero (useless profession?) who do the same type of charitable work yet no one thinks they are useless? I don't know, I'm glad we have the royals with their long history. I wish as an American we had more than a couple hundred years to look back upon.

There was a scene in the show "West Wing" in which a legislator threatened to propose a law forming a monarchy for figurehead purposes in the US because she calculated that the President spent about half his time on ceremonial crap - making appearances, entertaining foreign dignitaries, showing up to the opening of this, that, and the other thing to proclaim his blessing, and making speeches that maybe didn't need to be made, just to meet the expectations of the American people and foreign leaders.

It kind of cracked me up at the time, but there is a point to it. Seriously our President DOES have to spend a lot of time on stuff that isn't really related to actual governing, just to the impression we want of our governing body, or to make favorable impressions on other countries. So, maybe that's really what we ought to do with the Vice President and his wife. Dress them up a bunch, teach them to wave, give them some big hats, crown them Duke of Washington D.C., Earl of Texas :biggrinjester: , Keeper of the Union, and have them deal with all of that public appearance tripe; let the president be president/prime minister and get the job done. We've got the house for the VP anyway, and he already has significant security detail. All he needs is the title and some truly inspiring looking clothing, and Jill would look great in some serious hats! So Poof, we've got ourselves a figurehead! I mean, Jill could pull off the Camilla thing better than Camilla does!!!! :D

The only difference is Americans aren't bowing. End.of.discussion. There would be riots!

I love Princess Diana becuase she involved charity and all. She is truely beautiful person. But the others.. Nah,,,I have no high opinion on most of those. They just happen to be born in that family. I have no respect for those.

Meh. Truth is Diana didn't do any more than than the rest, she just made sure she got publicity for it. Count me not a fan of hers.

I really don't care if Charles is into homeopathy. Rich people always have more power to lobby for what they think is good. *shrug* Obviously no one is feeling pressured to do what he says about it. He also strongly advocates quite a few very smart agricultural programs And his charities represent the largest multi cause enterprise in the UK, of which he directly or indirectly helps to raise over £100 million each year in support of. He also has a charitable foundation based mainly in young people, education ,and innovations in sustainability. (he is very big pro conservation)

William is in air rescue pilot, iirc and for all Harry's wild ways, he is an army captain.

Keeping in mind, neither prince has to work a single day in their lives if they don't want to and they could easily tell Britain to go fly a kite and find another mascot. Both William and Harry earn nearly 1/2 a million dollars of the profit of their mother's trust to them (which is not from the taxpayers) each MONTH and at age 30, should they be foolish enough to do so, they can decide to cash in their 10 million dollar trust instead of only living off the profit from its investiture.

Quite frankly, I can think of a whole lot of people who need to work and get their act together and do more for society than the royal family. They seem to be level headed and grounded and mostly nice. At least they aren't a national embarrassment on a regular basis.

Right now, I'd take William over Obama. Let's trade!! ;)

Maybe then we'll be able to tour our white house again. :/

It really rather bothers me to hear people bash prince William and Harry. Not because I care about their royalty. I actually don't. But they are extremely wealthy men who have been raised every moment in the spot light and yet, they hold military jobs paying less than £70, they let themselves be mascots for a country that is critical of their every move and affords no respect for privacy and makes it very difficult to form friendships and relationships, they comport themselves with kindness, are focused, charitable, and apparently have a close knit family.

That's dang near a miracle.

I'm sure the princes have their character flaws, but being stupid or useless does not appear to be some of them.

I "think" that you'd want to research some of the others before judging. I think they all do their fair share of charity work, and all. We all know about Diana's work because she was followed incessently by the press, because the whole world "loved" her. Press followed her because she made $$ for them (by the fact people purposed the publications to read about her). That doesn't mean the other members of the Royal family are not just as involved in charities. It simply means the press/paparazzi don't follow them as closely. But to say there's no respect because they don't do anything or aren't worthwhile besides their DNA, sounds like there's been no real effort to look into what it is they actually do before making a judgement.

The sons, as others have stated, are in the military and actually do real jobs. Prince Charles is out of the country now, doing some sort of charity tour thing, and not even going to see his 1st grandson for a few weeks due to this trip. He's not on vacation.

Yes, he is doing tour.. Isn't that just all dress up and wave his hand? How is that count as a "real" job?

I "think" in a forum, I am entitle to my opinion, we can discuss and disagree but not necessary to attack.

Yes, he is doing tour.. Isn't that just all dress up and wave his hand? How is that count as a "real" job?

I "think" in a forum, I am entitle to my opinion, we can discuss and disagree but not necessary to attack.

Sure you can have an opinion, however inaccurate it might be. :)

Yes, promoting, advertising, managing, traveling for, and funding a program, charity or otherwise, is a real job.

Yup. We have the Governor General in Canada, the Queen`s representative here, and he/plays much the same role. I think it's sensible to have a figurehead that's mostly separate from the actual elected ruler. It often seems to me that American presidents are given a certain patriotic and unquestioning romantic respect that a Canadian would never give their Prime Minister. And no Prime Minister gets to keep that title after they leave office.

So it's useful to have a ceremonial figure to offload all that on so that when you look at your elected leader it's with a clearer, more practical view.

Our Governor General has a total operating budget of 20 million dollars a year. [source: Quarterly Financial Report; Office of the Secretary to the Governor General (www.gg.ca)] That's one expensive hand waving role.

The Queen is important for diplomatic relations with the monarchies of the Middle East. You know, those blokes who have all that oil we all want.

Prince Andrew is a Trade Ambassador for the UK, out promoting their industry and technology.

Princes William and Harry going on tour does not mean sitting in a car wearing pearls. On tour, they do what the rest of their workmates do.

Why start a thread asking what royal families do if you are determined to disagree with any answer other than "they bludge?"

What do you think Diana was doing, if not "showing up in pretty dresses to wave her hands?"   :confused1:

All of the royals are involved in charity, some much more than Diana ever was.  I don't really get the international obsession with her, except that she was young and pretty and led a pretty unhappy life.

Both William and Harry have real jobs.  William is on his 2 week paternity leave right now, and will return to work at the end of it.  Harry was in the army in Afghanistan for a while, until someone leaked it to the press and he was brought home for security reasons.

The sons, as others have stated, are in the military and actually do real jobs. Prince Charles is out of the country now, doing some sort of charity tour thing, and not even going to see his 1st grandson for a few weeks due to this trip. He's not on vacation.

Prince Charles did go visit them in the hospital...

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/grandpa-prince-charles-let-slip-the-wait-for-royal-baby-was-nearly-over/story-fnb64oi6-1226684192598

Our Governor General has a total operating budget of 20 million dollars a year. [source: Quarterly Financial Report; Office of the Secretary to the Governor General (www.gg.ca)] That's one expensive hand waving role.

If there was no GG, how much of that cost would go away? How much cost would be added by having to divert the PM or Deputy PM to those duties in lieu of the GG?

Well, if Charles were my father-in-law, I wouldn't want him or Camilla there. Privacy please!

But then, I am just that way. I don't like visitors after I've had a baby. Just leave me alone, let me nap, and don't make me wait to use the bathroom because you all just had to come by. Dh is the only person I wanted. Didn't even want my LDPP nurse, however each one was sweet, and I put up with them. :D

I really don't think it's a big deal.

My dad didn't come to the hospital when my were born, WHEW! He was still a great and wonderful grandfather.

Meh. Truth is Diana didn't do any more than than the rest, she just made sure she got publicity for it. Count me not a fan of hers.

I really don't care if Charles is into homeopathy. Rich people always have more power to lobby for what they think is good. *shrug* Obviously no one is feeling pressured to do what he says about it. He also strongly advocates quite a few very smart agricultural programs And his charities represent the largest multi cause enterprise in the UK, of which he directly or indirectly helps to raise over £100 million each year in support of. He also has a charitable foundation based mainly in young people, education ,and innovations in sustainability. (he is very big pro conservation)

William is in air rescue pilot, iirc and for all Harry's wild ways, he is an army captain.

Keeping in mind, neither prince has to work a single day in their lives if they don't want to and they could easily tell Britain to go fly a kite and find another mascot. Both William and Harry earn nearly 1/2 a million dollars of the profit of their mother's trust to them (which is not from the taxpayers) each MONTH and at age 30, should they be foolish enough to do so, they can decide to cash in their 10 million dollar trust instead of only living off the profit from its investiture.

Quite frankly, I can think of a whole lot of people who need to work and get their act together and do more for society than the royal family. They seem to be level headed and grounded and mostly nice. At least they aren't a national embarrassment on a regular basis.

Right now, I'd take William over Obama. Let's trade!! ;)

Maybe then we'll be able to tour our white house again. :/

I agree.  I'm not a fan of the monarchy or any royalty anywhere, frankly.  I don't want one in my country & there is much about the system that really bothers me (I might actually agree with Bill's extreme views on this).  However, there really isn't anything at all that I could pick to criticize these people for.  As people, they seem really lovely & I wish them the best.