Menu

Bible Survey course for kids? Does this exist?

Yes-- we use Foundations Press Bible Curriculum.  It is written for multiple ages, beginning around 1st grade, and takes you through the entire Bible every three years. 

For us, we're just finishing up our first year with a 1st grader and then a 4yo and 5yo tagging along.  The first grader got the most out of it, so I don't know that I'd recommend it for younger kids.  But if your kids are elementary, middle, or high school aged, it would definitely work. 

It's also relatively inexpensive and easy to open and go.  And I like that not only does it provide a good survey of the Bible, it also includes ways to apply and inductively study the Bible as well, which is something that I haven't found too often in materials for younger kids.

HTH

Honestly, by far the best Bible survey I've seen for kids (or by standing adults) is the video series of "What's in the Bible" -- you can add lots of other non-video stuff, but I'd use those videos as a spine without hesitation.

Kids *get it* -- that it's a whole story, but with different books and genres. Good stuff.

Just to check, are you looking for something for devotional usage or something for Biblical literacy? If the second, I've just started using "The Bible and Its Influence" from www.bibleliteracy.org and finding it very useful. It's aimed at use in public high schools. My goal is to give my daughter enough familiarity with the text that she will understand the allusions to it in art, literature, etc. I'm combining it with reading the Bible through (using the Tanakh and then a Bible containing the Apocrypha for the deuterocanonical books and the New Testament) and listening to Amy-Jill Levine's Great Courses lectures, "The Old Testament" and "Great Figures of the New Testament," but she is going into 8th grade.

If you are looking for something similar for a younger child, we used the DK Illustrated Children's Bible when she was in elementary, again for familiarity, not devotional usage, though.

Memoria Press either 3 years (I-III Golden Children's Bible) or a 1 year course (IV - real Bible) or all of them at 4 years. Greenleaf Guide to Old Testament History. I'm eyeballing one called "30 Days to Understanding the Bible" for my eldest next year. And I'm still drooling over the stick-figuring through the Bible with Grapevine's guides. (Available as ebooks, but they seem to be changing some formats.)

Grapevine has both an OT and NT overview, but it doesn't cover absolutely everything if that's what you are looking for.  Easy to use, the kids like it.  You didn't say what age?  (Okay now I see your siggy in your second post but not your first.  How in the world does that happen???)  Grapevine would be good for those ages.  Picturesmart Bible is another I've looked at but don't own, I think it would be good for my oldest but I'd like to wait until my next one can do it also, he seems a bit young for it at 5yo.

Hmmm... Not sure what you're looking for, or if any of these will be of help, but here goes:

Explorer's Bible Study (gr. 1-12) has several levels so the whole family can be covering the same portion of the Bible. We used the Quest level (gr. 7-12) of Explorer's Bible Study one year in order to cover the Old Testament. It is short answer and fill in the blank, but with some thinking/discussion questions. I'm not a big fill-in-the-blank fan, but this did help us cover the Early History of Israel; I wasn't knocked out about doing it more than one year...

Kay Arthur's How to Study Your Bible For Kids (for gr. 5-8) was a helpful set of starting tools.

How the Bible Came to Us (gr. 3-8) is a short non-fiction book that we found interesting as part of our church history studies.

If Bible Study Fellowship International meets in your area they might have a children's class; you would attend the adult class while your children meet in their class; everyone covers the same section of the Bible, so families can discuss at home.

If you have older students (gr. 7-12), Survey of the Bible: A Treasury of Bible Information (Hendrickson) looks amazing. (No personal experience with this one.)

No personal experience with this but it looked interesting: Picture This: Bible Survey (gr. K-6). As you read through the commentary on the book of the Bible, the student draws the main points to create a visual picture.

This isn't a recommendation - just nostalgia.

I am old so I grew up in the '50's and '60's. As a child, we attended an American Baptist Church (not southern). In the church foyer, they always had a weekly handout for kids (this was aside from Sunday School) called the Sunday Pix, published by David C. Cook. I think the handout may still exist in some form but it is not like it used to be. It was several pages long and included installments of the entire story of Bible, Gen - Rev. in cartoon style and some necessary added text. It also had a series sometimes called "Tullus" which was about an early missionary who encountered various 1st century cults (Isis, etc) in his ministry.

I know it was mostly a cartoon and it wasn't devotional but that handout gave me such a great overall picture of the Bible, I can still see them all in my mind! I don't remember anything from Sunday School, really, and to be honest, I wasn't even a Christian until I was in university but it sure gave me an advantage when I did start reading the Bible as a believer. I wasn't at all lost like many people.

It was also great that you only got a small installment at once instead of an entire book - it kept you wanting more. I always read it during the sermon, lol. Shame on me.

There is a book David C Cook puts out that is supposed to be the same but it isn't because I have one issue of the original to compare and it was different. )-:

We own

The Greenleaf Guide to the Old Testament which presents the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament as history and has a Protestant feel.  There is some background information for the books of the OT, which work from a literal Protestant interpretation, and questions that accompany OT readings. 

How the Bible Came to Us: The Story of the Book that Changed the World is in the mail, on the suggestion of LindaFaye of Charlotte Mason Help.  This seems to describe how the Christian Bible came to be the collection of works that it is: why the books there are included, why others are left out, why it is organized as it is, &c.  This seems to be written from a devout Protestant Christian perspective and is for ages 8+. 

For children in middle school, Galore Park publishes Religious Studies.  This presents an academic, sympathetic coverage of the Old Testament and New Testament as well as teaching about other major religions (Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Sikhism).  Galore Park is a publisher for British private schools and this book reflects their generally liberal Protestant orientation I would say; it is essentially non-denominational. 

The Bible and Its Influence is a similarly academic presentation for middle school and up, but is American.  It includes, in addition to a study of the Bible, descriptions of how the Bible has affected our civilization.  There is also a Bible and Its Influence Teacher's Edition, and a second edition of the student book published in 2011. 

Asimov's Guide to the Bible is what I myself have and am (slowly) working through.  Asimov writes about the Bible from a cultural & historical, not a personally devotional, perspective. 

Like Mystie we use Covenantal Catechism in elem but pplan to use Francis Breisch's The Kingdom of God and Ministry of Christ series in middle grades. The Starr Meade books she rec look great too, though.

Dawn, I did those CSI books in middle school! They are solid. I got the Starr Meade set on clearance from Westminster Books and only just saw that they are intended to be consumable. :\ They look good, but I didn't realize that when I bought them.

Dawn, I did those CSI books in middle school! They are solid. I got the Starr Meade set on clearance from Westminster Books and only just saw that they are intended to be consumable. :\ They look good, but I didn't realize that when I bought them.

Mystie, I'm thrilled to hear your opinion. My ladies Bible Study has been using them as a spine for years. I joined when M-girl was new and they were studying the prophets in The Kingdom of God. We're just now, >8 years later to Jesus' resurrection in The Ministry of Christ book. Obviously, we're taking our time and digging deeply, but the books have been wonderful for us. I'm looking forward to my children using them. Since I've only used them as an adult ... the opinion of a former student is very helpful.

I didn't realize the Meade books were consumable either :(

My 3rd grader just started the book "What the Bible is All About for Young Explorers" an adaption to "What the Bible is All About" by Dr. Henrietta Mears. My plan is for her to read 2 pages at a time and I'm helping her take notes. It introduces the different sections of the Bible and then gives an overview of each book. It includes simple illustrations as it covers the chapters. There are maps and timelines and a dictionary in the back. I got mine used for $8. I just looked on Amazon. There is a 2011 edition called "What the Bible is All About: Bible Handbook for Kids" for $13.44. It's advertised for children to young teens. I'm thinking she'll spend 15 minutes a day (reading on her own and note taking with me), 3-4 times a week. She's already doing so much other Bible-related learning that I didn't want something that would take too much time.You could cover more pages at a time, but for now I wanted to keep it fairly short.This seems like a great fit; I like the overview and the price is great!