Menu

Where to buy modest dresses?

Luanne

If you mean "modest" in Biblical sense, then anything you would buy at an affordable store, open the the general public of all socio-economic classes is completely acceptable.

None of the dresses available at such stores would violate the Bible's instructions that wealthy women should show "modesty" in order not shame and alienate lower class families by their ostentatious displays of wealth. However, if you wanted to be extra carefully "very modest", you might limit your purchases to, say, dresses that cost $30 or less, since that would be about the limit of what someone working minimum wage and/or on welfare could afford. In my opinion, most Churches would not consider a woman to be flaunting family wealth unless she wore clothing or jewelry that expressed a 'distinct gap' between herself and other women's clothing options -- generally a reasonable range of fashions are expected in a Church community, without it becoming a divisive influence.

As for your fashion preference of "Little House on the Prairie" style, I don't think that would at all qualify as an ostentation of wealth. It simply expresses your unique taste and fashion sense. I think others' suggestions of thrift stores might work, although to really accomplish that look, you might enjoy historical patterns (often found in the costume sections of pattern books at fabric stores) and you might enjoy branching out to 'quilting' types of fabrics to really achieve the "look" you want. (Although quilting fabrics can be thin, so you might need to layer them, using petticoats would be particularly period-appropriate.) All the best to you!

---

Edited to Add: following the above link to some dresses right on-style for your tastes showed me that such a purchase would probably exceed $100, which I would not hesitate about their 'ostentation' because they are a complete dress. Many tops and bottoms sold separately add up to that much without crossing the line to 'flaunting' one's wealth... but they wouldn't quite be "very modest" since no one in the lowest sociology-economic classes of our society would be able to afford them. Perhaps you might like to re-evaluate whether 'average' is modest enough for you, or if you really want to stick with your goal of a 'very modest' Christian wardrobe.

Even if you can sew a tiny bit you can sew a long women's skirt to a girls shirt of appropriate size and style. I use Walmart t shirts and thrift store skirts. Women's knee length skirts are ankle length on my size 6 kid. Longer skirts I cut the tops off (save the hem so you don't have to hem it).

I can do a dress in a half hour or so and I don't sew at all well.

My personal definition of a modest dress includes some kind of sleeve (cap, short, or long), a neckline which does not show cleavage, and a knee-length or longer skirt. So with those criteria in mind, I have recently gotten some at Land's End, one at a Costco trunk show for some company or other, and one from Shade. I sometimes layer a camisole underneath for cleavage coverage.

If you require ankle length and long sleeves, I think these dresses are beautiful: http://www.shukronline.com/womens-long-dress.html

Let's see.

1. J.Jill--my favorite online store! I have about 10 dresses from there, all below the knee,

all with sleeves that cover the elbow, all with no cleavage showing. They last for ever.

I have them with and without collar, several black, some grey, some velvet.

2. Old Navy is a good place for long-sleeved collared blouses with buttons. They often have

nice flowery prints. Old Navy is also a good place for long skirts--at least a couple years ago.

I have some dresses that fall a little above the knee. I wear these with black or grey leggings.

If I don't feel like wearing leggings, I wear a black skirt underneath. A black ultralight knit long-

sleeved cardigan-thing finishes the ensemble.

I own some other dresses that would show cleavage,so I wear a black tanktop or a black/brown

short-sleeved top underneath. In the winter, I wear a turtleneck underneath.

I got a couple of really good dresses at 3. Hanna Andersson too. Those last for ever as well.

4. Coldwater Creek. I shop their outlet.

My personal definition of a modest dress includes some kind of sleeve (cap, short, or long), a neckline which does not show cleavage, and a knee-length or longer skirt. So with those criteria in mind, I have recently gotten some at Land's End, one at a Costco trunk show for some company or other, and one from Shade. I sometimes layer a camisole underneath for cleavage coverage.

If you require ankle length and long sleeves, I think these dresses are beautiful: http://www.shukronline.com/womens-long-dress.html

Mine too. I buy a lot of things at LE and Old Navy. I also have a variety of cardigans/shrugs in various colors and sleeve lengths to throw over sleeveless tops or dresses.

If you can do a long sleeved T shirt, Dress Barn has some extremely comfy and cute long skirts. It's very modest around here in Israel, esp going into some of the churches. I have had no problems with the above combos, and I add a light scarf if I want to do a short-sleeved t shirt.

I'll see if I can link--http://m.dressbarn.com/mt/www.dressbarn.com/search?p=3&q=long+skirt

I have three of these --the Roz one that is striped navy/white, the multi striped one, and the dark blue with a tiny bit of hem beading. All elastic waist--wide, covered elastic--super comfy, not too heavy, wash and wear, and nice on my size 16 bod!

Paired with a modest blouse or T, very attractive without being old fashioned or frumpy--not that I am calling lhotp dresses either of those, just saying there are modest, modern style alternatives if you so desire.

You can try Ebay. Do a search for "Mennonite dresses" or "Amish dresses". There are some enterprising folks who purchase from Mennonite/Amish yard sales in their area and re-sell the dresses on ebay. You will find the traditional cape dresses in a variety of colors, sizes, and patterns very inexpensively.

I thought of you in church today. Several women were wearing those floor length maxi dresses and skirts that are so popular, with light cardigans. All the covering that Ma Ingalls would like with modern style. I'm sure you could pick some up at any store or thrift shop and it looked very nice.