Menu

Cloth Diaperers (or anyone really)

k2bdeutmeyer

Does anybody have any prefolds that they'd like to get rid of?? I'm still on a mission to find a way to cloth diaper this baby (while I know it is a huge $$ saver, the initial investment is just more $$ than I have) and have found some tutorials for turning prefolds into fitteds. I'm thinking I'd like to try that.....you know, in all that spare time I have during the day, haha! Anyway, buying new just isn't 100% in the budget......and seems silly if I'm just going to cut them apart to create something I don't even know if I can make well. I've looked around for used and they don't seem to be much cheaper than new really, so I thought I'd check here and see if anybody had some they'd like to part with at a discount. I'd be happy to pay for them (and shipping) via Paypal.

And while we're on this topic. I did buy a few Alva's to try out (since they're cheaper and I thought maybe I could pull off cloth diapering if I went with them), but I'm having leakage issues. User error (I'm a totally newbie)?? Bad fit? Bad diaper? What am I doing wrong? DS weighed 11lbs 11oz on Wednesday.....and I feel like the fit around his legs is pretty tight, but maybe it isn't tight enough? I have the rise at the smallest setting and the waist as tight as I can get it without feeling like I'm going to hurt him. They have 1 microfiber insert in them and I'm not even making it an hour without them leaking around the leg (usually the front 1/2 of the leg opening). When I used one yesterday (and had the leak issue), the microfiber insert wasn't even soaked all the way up the back. I've only used them twice, so it's been this way since they were new (I did prep them per the manufacturer's instructions).

Anyway.......I've rambled enough. :)

honestly, for cheap and easy on a budget I'd get some seconds of prefolds, and some pins. MAYBE 2 snappies, but I've come to prefer pins. And some Bummis pull on diaper covers (they are cheap but nice). Or, lay prefolds in a thirsties wrap. If money is tight start with Dappi wraps, but they don't hold up for long. Or you can make fitteds out of flannel receiving blankets...those are usually cheap at thrift stores. Or, cheapest, use flour sack towels (at walmart or target in the kitchen section) as flats. They are about a dollar each. Use pins or a snappi, and a cover.

I actually have 2 covers that I got on clearance before he was born.....I just need something to put in them :)

I'm going for ease of use here, simply because I know I won't do it if it's too much work, lol. Which is where I thought the fitteds might come in.....if I can manage to come up with an hour or two to sew a couple to try :)

Pretty much if they leak when the cover seems to fit with no gaping its an absorbancy issue. Some babies are crazy heavy wetters right from the get go they'll save up all their pee and then wet straight through and 1 microfibre insert isn't really that much absorbancy unless its one of those big loop multilayer ones. Try increasing absorbancy. I used a lot of those microfibre cleaning cloths as boosters when my two were in cloth nappies. They are like 3 for a Ă‚Â£1 or Ă‚Â£2 here and work really well once you've prewashed them and theyre not too bulky.

I agree w/ Katie, if you want to CD for cheap use prefolds, you really don't have to have fitteds or anything else. Pre-folds are crazy absorbant, there shouldn't be leakage unless you don't get the pf under the cover or you leave it on for too long. I say don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Personally I prefer pre-folds, although I've tried a few other like aio's, fitted and pockets. Nothing I tried compared to pf's in absorbancy and then I didn't have to worry about build up either.. They are not really that hard to fold, it just takes a few practices, even my 8 yo son can do it and my dear friend figured it out on her own when she had dd for an a bit.

honestly, for cheap and easy on a budget I'd get some seconds of prefolds, and some pins. MAYBE 2 snappies, but I've come to prefer pins. And some Bummis pull on diaper covers (they are cheap but nice). Or, lay prefolds in a thirsties wrap. If money is tight start with Dappi wraps, but they don't hold up for long. Or you can make fitteds out of flannel receiving blankets...those are usually cheap at thrift stores. Or, cheapest, use flour sack towels (at walmart or target in the kitchen section) as flats. They are about a dollar each. Use pins or a snappi, and a cover.

I agree with this. We had the best luck with prefolds and covers. The covers that fit my boys the best and had the least leaks (for us) was litewrap diaper covers, Bummi's and some other brands just didn't fit well for us. I didn't even bother to pin, I just fastened the cover over the diaper and off we'd go.

Like the pp said, you can used flannel receiving blankets or flour sack towels to use for diapers. Just remember to strip them in the wash with some white vinegar so they'll absorb well. You can buy cheap "rubber pants" at a big box store to use as covers until you can find some used nicer ones as well.

Even if I had the $$ when I bought diapers, I wouldn't have bought fitted diapers. The 100% cotton prefolds were much more versatile as the boys grew, had less leaks, and were easier to clean. We had a few fitted diapers to try out, and they just didn't work as well.

My cousin is using our prefolds and covers so I don't have any to sell right now.

Pretty much if they leak when the cover seems to fit with no gaping its an absorbancy issue. Some babies are crazy heavy wetters right from the get go they'll save up all their pee and then wet straight through and 1 microfibre insert isn't really that much absorbancy unless its one of those big loop multilayer ones. Try increasing absorbancy. I used a lot of those microfibre cleaning cloths as boosters when my two were in cloth nappies. They are like 3 for a Ă‚Â£1 or Ă‚Â£2 here and work really well once you've prewashed them and theyre not too bulky.

Hmm.....I didn't feel like they were just saturated, but maybe they were....enough anyway.

I would try adding doubling up on the microfiber insert in the alva. We haven't had any leakage issue with them until dd is overdue for a change, but she is not a heavy wetter. We do a heavier diaper at night though (I use crickett hemps for nighttime, but they aren't made anymore).

And I love prefolds and snappis. I could never get the hang of pins even though I love that they're so visually simple. That was appealing to me, but I gave up and switched back to snappis. We used mostly prefolds on my second daughter until she was 2.

Also, I've heard great things about green mountain baby's workhorse fitteds. Kind of a cross between a prefold and a fitted. More expensive though.

I'm watching this too, I want to try cloth diapers with this little one due at the end of January :) I really wasn't able to with dd since I worked and just really wasn't all that interested (I was thinking like old time cloth diapering). Is there a way I can get one or two of each kind to try with out costing a lot? I know we will get disposables for the baby shower (no one we know uses cloth and they think its gross).

I would try adding doubling up on the microfiber insert in the alva. We haven't had any leakage issue with them until dd is overdue for a change, but she is not a heavy wetter. We do a heavier diaper at night though (I use crickett hemps for nighttime, but they aren't made anymore).

And I love prefolds and snappis. I could never get the hang of pins even though I love that they're so visually simple. That was appealing to me, but I gave up and switched back to snappis. We used mostly prefolds on my second daughter until she was 2.

Also, I've heard great things about green mountain baby's workhorse fitteds. Kind of a cross between a prefold and a fitted. More expensive though.

If he's already having absorbancy issues at 6wk old, I'm in serious trouble, lol!! We seriously had leakage after wearing it for about an hour (maybe less) yesterday.

The GMD workhorse fitted is EXACTLY what I'm trying to create by converting a prefold.

Hmm.....I didn't feel like they were just saturated, but maybe they were....enough anyway.

It can also happen that if they are very heavy wetters the fabric just can't absorb enough in time so it leaks badly before the fabric can suck it in. Some fabrics are better than others for how quickly they absorb. I think microfiber is quickest and then cotton and hemp is the slowest to absorb so you may want to try a combo of things as the slowest to absorb also tend to hang onto the liquid best once they have absorbed it. Lots of boosters/inserts have a microfiber top layer with hemp or cotton underneath for this reason.

If he's already having absorbancy issues at 6wk old, I'm in serious trouble, lol!! We seriously had leakage after wearing it for about an hour (maybe less) yesterday.

The GMD workhorse fitted is EXACTLY what I'm trying to create by converting a prefold.

But then when they are bigger and the diapers are bigger it sort of works out. It's hard when they are little and big thick diapers look massive on them and mean they can't move.

I'm watching this too, I want to try cloth diapers with this little one due at the end of January :) I really wasn't able to with dd since I worked and just really wasn't all that interested (I was thinking like old time cloth diapering). Is there a way I can get one or two of each kind to try with out costing a lot? I know we will get disposables for the baby shower (no one we know uses cloth and they think its gross).

I tried to come up with a way to do that too.....and decided there really wasn't a way to do it without costing quite a bit.

But then when they are bigger and the diapers are bigger it sort of works out. It's hard when they are little and big thick diapers look massive on them and mean they can't move.

I suppose that's true. So is it possible that he's just too little for these diapers yet??

My first dd was a super heavy wetter, so she probably would have leaked through the alva with one insert at 6 weeks. That's one of the reasons I bought hemp diapers with her - they're very absorbant. She pees all at once and was super easy to potty learn because of this I think! My second dd doesn't pee all at once and is proving more difficult to switch to the potty :/

I actually have 2 covers that I got on clearance before he was born.....I just need something to put in them :)

I'm going for ease of use here, simply because I know I won't do it if it's too much work, lol. Which is where I thought the fitteds might come in.....if I can manage to come up with an hour or two to sew a couple to try :)

ah, ok. Well, a prefold laid in the cover, with no fastener, is as quick as a disposable, and just as easy Faster than a fitted. But for now, do you have any flour sack towels? Or could you get some at walmart/target? You'd have to fold them ahead of time, but at diaper time just put it on and don't fasten, then fasten the cover over it. If all the diaper is tucked in it won't leak. If that works, and you like it, then order some seconds prefolds.

With the Alvas, I hate to say it, but they're just really bad diapers. I bought a bunch for my youngest, and they leaked every time. They were awful.

Used prefolds are expensive because the shipping is insane. Have you thought about flats? They're even cheaper than prefolds and are more versatile--they'll fit all the way through potty training. You can learn folds from YouTube videos or just fold them in thirds like prefolds. I love them! Nicki's Diapers sells some very soft ones for about $12/dozen. Oh, and they dry faster than prefolds (and definitely faster than fitteds), which saves a little. On the electric bill. (Or you can just hang to dry.)

Did you buy new prefolds? You really have to wash them well before they'll absorb. I put them in the washer with hot water and just let them soak for several hrs instead of only washing them. I actually do have a ton of them around. Both heavily used ones with fraying edges and some that I never used in diapers, only for cloths for the baby to lie on, and some that are in between. I don't know what Alva's are.

I used prefolds and Bummis velcro, and no pins or snappis. The thicker kind without that netting like in boy's swimsuits.

I think the cheapest way is to recycle other fabric. Old flannel shirts/t shirts and old towels and even denim works well. I used the Fern and Faerie recycle diaper pattern which was brilliant but it doesn't seem to be available any more. Their website still does have some information though here. I don't think I have the pattern anymore.

With the Alvas, I hate to say it, but they're just really bad diapers. I bought a bunch for my youngest, and they leaked every time. They were awful.

Used prefolds are expensive because the shipping is insane. Have you thought about flats? They're even cheaper than prefolds and are more versatile--they'll fit all the way through potty training. You can learn folds from YouTube videos or just fold them in thirds like prefolds. I love them! Nicki's Diapers sells some very soft ones for about $12/dozen. Oh, and they dry faster than prefolds (and definitely faster than fitteds), which saves a little. On the electric bill. (Or you can just hang to dry.)

I'm disappointed to hear that, because I felt like I did quite a bit of research prior to buying them (I only own 3, but still) and it seemed like almost everyone liked them. Sigh.

Did you buy new prefolds? You really have to wash them well before they'll absorb. I put them in the washer with hot water and just let them soak for several hrs instead of only washing them. I actually do have a ton of them around. I don't know what Alva's are.

I used prefolds and Bummis velcro, and no pins or snappis. The thicker kind without that netting like in boy's swimsuits.

I don't own any prefolds....the Alvas are pockets.

I had good luck with sewing some cotton flannel fitteds (I used Rita's Rump Pocket pattern, it is free) and I would pick up flannel when it went on sale super cheap at JoAnn's. I stuffed them with padfolded cotton flats. I just needed a few covers. Very economical way to cloth diaper IMO. I also pinned flats and prefolds on him and those worked just as well. The flannel fitteds were easier at first, but as my confidence increased I used the prefolds and flats just as they were.

Yes! Use whatever cotton fabric you have laying around the house, fold it into a square, and then into thirds, and lay inside a diaper cover. I've been through cloth diapering obsession. I've used every single kind (not brand), including all manner of homemade ones. In the end, I prefer the simplest systems--prefolds and flats. And those can be duplicated by any absorbent material.

Also, you should be able to get a dozen good prefolds, shipped, for around $35. I imagine you're spending at least that on disposables each month. You only really need two dozen, so I would try to scrape up the money and get them.

Do you have anything cotton that you could use in addition to the microfiber insert? Microfiber absorbs quite a bit, but is slower than cotton. If he wets quickly or forcefully, maybe it is not giving the insert time to catch it all? I noticed that my microfiber kitchen towels are nowhere near as quick to absorb as my cotton ones. Also, do you use fabric softener at all? (Even not in with the diapers). It can coat diapers and cause them to repel instead of absorb.

Do you have anything cotton that you could use in addition to the microfiber insert? Microfiber absorbs quite a bit, but is slower than cotton. If he wets quickly or forcefully, maybe it is not giving the insert time to catch it all? I noticed that my microfiber kitchen towels are nowhere near as quick to absorb as my cotton ones. Also, do you use fabric softener at all? (Even not in with the diapers). It can coat diapers and cause them to repel instead of absorb.

I do have a fabric softener bar in the dryer, but I removed it when drying the inserts.

I have had no issues with my alvas leaking (knock on wood!), but I'm not sure they would have worked (or if I would have had the patience to troubleshoot them) with my heavy wetter first dd. I do make sure to use cloth diaper friendly detergent and no fabric softener on any of our clothes- those can definitely cause issues, too.

Yes! Use whatever cotton fabric you have laying around the house, fold it into a square, and then into thirds, and lay inside a diaper cover. I've been through cloth diapering obsession. I've used every single kind (not brand), including all manner of homemade ones. In the end, I prefer the simplest systems--prefolds and flats. And those can be duplicated by any absorbent material.

Also, you should be able to get a dozen good prefolds, shipped, for around $35. I imagine you're spending at least that on disposables each month. You only really need two dozen, so I would try to scrape up the money and get them.

Great points!

I do have a fabric softener bar in the dryer, but I removed it when drying the inserts.

This could be the issue. Even using fabric softener on *any* of your clothes will cause a fabric softener build up in your dryer that will transfer to your diapers.

I have never used a bar, but could it leave a residue in the dryer? Maybe try stripping the inserts with Dawn dish soap and line drying to see if that helps the absorbency?

Sometimes the trouble shooting at the beginning is a hassle, but once you get into the groove you can just relax and enjoy the savings.

This could be the issue. Even using fabric softener on *any* of your clothes will cause a fabric softener build up in your dryer that will transfer to your diapers.

Even though they had only been dried once (without the bar installed) the first time I used them (and we had leakage issues)??

If you had previously used any kind of fabric softener in your dryer, then yes. Fabric softener binds to the fabric and can cause repelling issues (the water will roll off the fabric and not absorb). You can try and test them by pouring water on the inserts and see if they absorb or repel.

If you had previously used any kind of fabric softener in your dryer, then yes. Fabric softener binds to the fabric and can cause repelling issues (the water will roll off the fabric and not absorb). You can try and test them by pouring water on the inserts and see if they absorb or repel.

I will definitely test them. So....since I've used the dryer bars previously in my dryer can I now not use my dryer for diapers period??? UGH!

You will be ok if you take out the dyer bar and wash and dry a few loads of towels. It will take a few loads though because you will need to "strip" your towels of their build up, too.

Finding your routine with cloth diapers is a bit of a pita, but it's sooo worth it in the long run.

You will be ok if you take out the dyer bar and wash and dry a few loads of towels. It will take a few loads though because you will need to "strip" your towels of their build up, too.

Finding your routine with cloth diapers is a bit of a pita, but it's sooo worth it in the long run.

Sigh. It sure is a pain. I would really just like to have it all figured out.

Is there a way I can get one or two of each kind to try with out costing a lot?

http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/products/clothdiapers/tryclothfor10/tryclothfor10

A friend used and recommended this program as a way to try different diapers. We ended up not doing it because we had enough left over from our older son that we didn't really need many more.

If you have a snappy, I find using them just as prefolds even easier than turning them into fitteds. I have some. PM me your mailing address and I'll send them to you on payday, or if I sell something in the next couple days for the shipping $. Don't pay me. I'll see what else I can throw in, too. My toddler is 95% potty trained now. *sniff* Now, my stuff isn't pristine, but I will sun it first, and it's been barely used since I bought newer dipes and then she potty trained.

Even though they had only been dried once (without the bar installed) the first time I used them (and we had leakage issues)??

Mine were brand new, too. I used Bum Genius pockets for a long time (best pockets ever, if anyone wants to get you a gift), which have similar inserts. I used my washer and dryer normally for everything else, including with fabric softener. Those BG's never had a problem. I have also used all kinds of detergents, from the "cloth diaper friendly" ones, down to Tide, and those Alvas were the only diapers I have ever had such a terrible time with. I used them for a few weeks because I thought they would get better, but they didn't. And honestly, I wasn't too surprised. A one-size pocket for $5?!? If it sounds too good to be true...

I've typed out an answer twice already only to be timed out. So this time I'll just give you a link to my blog with what I did ... flannel-fitteds and flats.

(This third time worked, so I'm editing for a few more details. Sewing prefolds-into-fitteds was really, really hard. The idea I linked to is so much easier.

My absolute favorite diaper system is flats plus Flips covers. Good luck!)

I think the cheapest way is to recycle other fabric. Old flannel shirts/t shirts and old towels and even denim works well. I used the Fern and Faerie recycle diaper pattern which was brilliant but it doesn't seem to be available any more. Their website still does have some information though here. I don't think I have the pattern anymore.

This was the website I was going to suggest too. :)

I also loved Snappis. They are awesome.

It's been a while since I've used cloth diapers, doesn't Target sell some now? Also, I thought that I'd heard that Joann's sold PUL to use for covers or pockets?

I bought kawaii pockets 4 months ago for my toddlers, I am planning on making prefolds for my newborn who is due in July. I bought a few used covers on ebay, including some wool covers I am planning on using with prefolds for overnight. I am going to be making my own prefolds using cotton towels as well.

With my toddlers and the Kawaii diapers, they started to leak after 2 weeks. I have hard water, so I decided that may be causing build up. I didn't want to spend the money on special hard water detergent for diapers, so I just strip them every 3-4 weeks using Dawn and bleach in the washing machine and then rinsing them 3-4 times. It has solved the leak issue, though I don't know if stripping them that often will impact how well they hold up in the long wrong. So far, so good.

I also have a few Bum Genius diapers, they are great, but beyond my budget. I bought the Kawaii diapers in a package deal from their website. There are also some bulk deals on ebay.

Here;s a pinterest page that has lots of ideas.

I made my own covers with snaps out of cheap fleece, just tucked a prefold into them and they worked pretty well.

This is the pattern that I used. http://community.babycenter.com/journal/yuleane/3160595/free_one_size_cloth_diaper_pattern

I found that it was way easier than I thought to just tuck a prefold or other diaper into a snap-on cover. You don't have to use all in ones to have ease of use.

Where is the pocket leaking? I've CDed three babies, and I can't imagine a 6 week old peeing enough to leak. You do have to change after each pee. If the baby peed twice, yes, leak is possible. You can check the waterproof-ness of the cover to see if the diaper is the problem. Wet a washcloth and put it inside and squeeze around to see where the water escapes.

Also, are the diapers snug around the thighs? Baby may not be large enough for that style yet. I have a couple of Flip covers that are wider and it took a while for that to fit correctly to get a snug enough fastening. Boy baby? Wherever the hose is pointing can be a problem. Up and it shoots out the top. If it's toward one leg and there's a little gap in the cover, it will shoot out the leg hole.

Are you drying the pockets? Most recommend air drying to prolong the life of the PUL layer.

I love Bum Genius pockets too. That's pretty much all I'm using with my youngest because I don't have the brain cells for obsessing over cute. ;)

Prefolds are easy with a little one. You don't need a Snappi before they're mobile IMO. Just trifold and lay it in the cover.

I cloth diapered 2 of our kids and the microfiber inserts always leaked for me. I used bum genius and always a regular cloth diaper as an insert for it. Truthfully I prefer just using an old fashion prefold and cover. I had 2 kids in the bum genius at one time and after a year of that they gave out. Otoh I still have all my other prefolds and covers from 6 years ago and they still work perfectly when I want to use them on my baby now and it all only cost around $40 at the time.

Where is the pocket leaking? I've CDed three babies, and I can't imagine a 6 week old peeing enough to leak. You do have to change after each pee. If the baby peed twice, yes, leak is possible. You can check the waterproof-ness of the cover to see if the diaper is the problem. Wet a washcloth and put it inside and squeeze around to see where the water escapes.

Also, are the diapers snug around the thighs? Baby may not be large enough for that style yet. I have a couple of Flip covers that are wider and it took a while for that to fit correctly to get a snug enough fastening. Boy baby? Wherever the hose is pointing can be a problem. Up and it shoots out the top. If it's toward one leg and there's a little gap in the cover, it will shoot out the leg hole.

Are you drying the pockets? Most recommend air drying to prolong the life of the PUL layer.

I love Bum Genius pockets too. That's pretty much all I'm using with my youngest because I don't have the brain cells for obsessing over cute. ;)

Prefolds are easy with a little one. You don't need a Snappi before they're mobile IMO. Just trifold and lay it in the cover.

It's leaking around the leg....usually between the hip and groin. I can see wetness on the outside of the diaper (not sure if that means it leaked through, or if it just got wet in the process. I think they're pretty snug, but again, maybe not snug enough? I dunno. I only dried them on low once (per the manufacturer).....I've hung them every other time. He is a boy, but again, leakage is around the leg.

If you are really sold on pockets, the very cheapest ones that work well that I've found are Sun Baby diapers. I've been cloth diapering for over nine years. And a very meticulous wash routine.

I'm not necessarily sold on pockets. It was just something I tried since I could get 3 of them for under $15.