Menu

Top ten novels to cover British history & culture?

Laura Corin

Email from an American friend (male)

"I wish I had a Top 10 British fiction list - books that, once read, would give me an essential understanding of British history, culture and social structure."

What would you choose?

So far, I have a mixture of historical and classic fiction:

Need something earlier here

'Wolf Hall': Elizabethan society, religion, philosophy, politics

Need something here

'Persuasion': strata of society pre-Victoria: aristocracy, middle class, self-made men (navy), colonies...

'Silas Marner': industrial revolution, religion, low income countryside

'Our Mutual Friend': strata of Victorian society, urban life (as opposed to the country society of Persuasion and Silas Marner)

'Anthology of WW1 poetry of ?novel?

'Brideshead Revisited': effects of public school education, decline of aristocracy, clash of new and traditional values, rise of the middle class

WW2 novel?

One of the working class post-war novels/plays - Kes? Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner? Room at the Top? Taste of Honey? Look Back in Anger?

1960s/1970s novel?

'A Child in Time' by Ian McEwan - politics and social change in 1980s

'The Line of Beauty' by Alan Hollinghurst?

'White Teeth' by Zadie Smith?

Any thoughts? Especially if you are not British but have read something that helped you to understand Britain.

Thanks

Laura

'

I haven't read all of these, but I love British culture so I'll be following this thread!

What about Tess of the D'urbervilles? I thought it was an interesting look at gender inequality, the industrial revolution, the lingering importance of ancestry, etc.

ETA: I'm also reading Middlemarch right now and finding the social aspects fascinating.

I haven't read all of these, but I love British culture so I'll be following this thread!

What about Tess of the D'urbervilles? I thought it was an interesting look at gender inequality, the industrial revolution, the lingering importance of ancestry, etc.

ETA: I'm also reading Middlemarch right now and finding the social aspects fascinating.

Personal prejudice: I don't get on with Hardy. So I'd have a difficult time recommending it.

Middlemarch is a good idea: maybe I can offer him the choice between that and Silas Marner, depending on whether he wanted a shorter or a longer read.

Laura

Wolf Hall is a strikingly revisionist version of Henry's court..... too bad you can't 'balance' it with A Man for All Seasons.

For the period between WWI and WWII, maybe I Capture the Castle?

For the middle of the 20th I'd add something by Graham Greene and something by John LeCarre.

For contemporary England I'd like Gaimen's Neverwhere. It's obviously fantasy but it talks about London in as revealing a way as Zadie Smith.

Wolf Hall is a strikingly revisionist version of Henry's court..... too bad you can't 'balance' it with A Man for All Seasons.

No reason not to offer both. I think that Wolf Hall is a better work, but the contrast would be interesting.

Graham Greene is a good idea. Which would you recommend? I've not read many of his works.

I read 'I Capture the Castle' recently and I don't think I'd offer it to a man to read. To be honest, I wish I'd read it when I was younger - I would have enjoyed it more.

I'll ask my menfolk about Neverwhere - I think both Husband and Calvin have read it. Thanks for mentioning it.

Laura

A couple of fiction ideas....

Darkmans by Nicola Barker (for a modern novel)

The Strange Affair of Spring-Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder (steampunk/Victorian times alternative history w/ a surprising amount of accurate historical info, including a story woven around the urban legend of Victorian times: Spring-Heeled Jack; also loved it because it used Sir Richard Burton as the main character)

Some of my favorite Brit lit---Middlemarch; A Passage to India. and almost anything by A. S. Byatt (really liked The Children's Book). And even though it wouldn't make any list of "Great Novels", I have to say that Bill Bryson's Notes From a Small Island is side-splitting funny, and an interesting read as an American looking at somewhat modern day Britain.

I agree with Chris in VA, Edward Rutherfurd is a great historical author as well.

I can mine my brain further, but for WWI, I think All Quiet on the Western Front is a must read, no matter your allied home country.

What about African Queen? It's more known for the Hollywood movie, but it was a novel first.

Kipling's poem, My Son Jack?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadfael

Perhaps this would not be considered "great literature," but you asked about books that helped me (an American) understand British culture better. For this, I would recommend the Cadfael mysteries. I loved the way the author used so many old British words, most of which I had never encountered prior to reading the series. Believe it or not, I never knew what a "copse" was. I had never heard of "mullein" (a plant used for dyeing) or "villein" (a form of a slave). As an under-educated American, I didn't understand much of anything about feudalism, barons, Normans, Saxons, Wales, Shrewsbury, herbalism, parchment, woad, saints, relics, or monasteries. Reading Cadfael got me interested in learning more about so many things for a long time. HTH.

Edward Rutherford's London is a nice, light choice that only covers all of London's history from ancient to present. ;)

I second The Children's Book. But it feels like it should be something more classic. Both those options (though London is pop fiction and The Children's Book is quality literature) are both so recent.

How about Howard's End?

Oh, how about Lucky Jim?

How about Fever Pitch? Though that's very recent again...

Ugh! I tried to read Wolf Hall. I got about 1/5 of the way through it before I had to quit. I absolutely hated her writing style. I am a total Anglophlie, but I just could not stomach that awful book.

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh! I tried to read Wolf Hall. I got about 1/5 of the way through it before I had to quit. I absolutely hated her writing style. I am a total Anglophlie, but I just could not stomach that awful book.

I had the exact same experience. I rarely ever decide to put down a book, but I disliked Wolf Hall so much that I put it down and haven't looked back. It drives me crazy because I usually read a wide selection of Giller and Booker winners and her sequel also won a Booker but I'm not reading it.