Menu

What is most efficient way possible to do science?

lea1

Over the past year I have purchased so many science programs that I have lost count of them. The only one we really did consistently was Apologia's astronomy, which we did for one-half of the year and then we moved on to something else. (My kids were not all that excited about Apologiaj's Jr. Notebook activities). Everything else we have done was hit or miss and probably more miss than hit. I am not feeling good about this. I would like science to get done because I know my sons would enjoy it and learn a lot but I really do not enjoy teaching it. When our days are running long and we are getting tired, science is always the first thing to be dropped.

So, what to do. I would love to farm this out to someone else. Even having a co-op to keep us accountable and where they could do the experiments would be great. But I can't seem to find one in my area for 2nd graders (Tulsa Oklahoma area).

I would love to farm this out to someone, anyone. Is there a DVD science class where they could watch the lessons, I could read some related library books to them or assign them to be read and do one experiment a week with them?

I would love to hear any suggestions. This is definitely my least favorite subject but I know they need it and would enjoy it.

I feel your pain with science! It was one of the first things to go when my twins were born. For this next year, I am already making plans to hire the neighbor kid to come over and do the weekly or bi monthly experiments with my First grader. She'll be 12, and the 5 bucks it costs to get her to help my ODD make molecules out of marshmallows and toothpicks will go a long way to saving my sanity. I can have my ODD read about the subject during the week It's the notebooking/experiments that get me every time. I have no more energy!

This may not be popular...but for 2nd grade, I get stacks of library books for the child to read. I choose a subject per month, depending on what the child is interested in at the moment and just let him read and enjoy the books. Also at 2nd grade, my children loved sitting outside with a notebook once a week, drawing and making notes on what they observed.

If you feel strongly about a curriculum, you might want to look in to BJU DVD or online classes. My 6th grade child used BJU for the first time this year and he loves it.

Best wishes to you!

For that age, I'd just get a stack of library books and/or DVDs (nature DVDs, Bill Nye, etc.) and call it good. Maybe get a simple book on experiments or projects to do every so often, especially if they like to see reactions. If you need stuff for a portfolio, I'd print out a couple of worksheets and have them fill in parts of the insect, or the cell, or whatever. Or do some simple notebooks of insects or mammals or something -- things like size, diet, habitat, a drawing of the creature and/or its tracks, something like that. Maybe try raising ladybugs or butterflies and keeping a calendar with pictures of their development; my kids loved that!

Nature study with some inexpensive field guides (we like the Petersen First Guides) might be good too. You could try the Outdoor Hour Challenges from handbookofnaturestudy.blogspot.com too. But I would totally not stress about science at that age.

I would totally not stress about science at that age.

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. I really needed (wanted) to hear this. Thank you.

I tried to find the BJU DVD science for 2nd grade but have not found it yet. I'll keep looking because I am curious of the cost and what it would offer.

I have purchased several science kits with the various science programs I have already and it really didn't help me at all. It still didn't get done, I'm ashamed to say. Maybe we will do some of them this summer.

I looked at K12 but I would really like for whatever science we end up doing to look a little more like the classical style described in TWTM.

I am still searching for more information but I think I am leaning towards stacks of library books and not worrying too much about it. My sons both like to read these type of books, so that will help. Where we start falling off the wagon is when I start asking for a narration of what we read or try to get them to write something or cut and paste. They enjoy coloring but not the cut and paste and writing parts. I am doing good just to get them to do the required writing for WWE and sometimes FLL. When I add any additional writing, one son in particular has major meltdowns. We are looking to have him evaluated by an OT.

I will go back and look at TWTM again also and maybe I can pull something together. I think at least reading some library books is better than nothing. Right? Although I might have to find a list of topics to have them pick from.

ETA: And we also have the complete set of Magic School Bus science DVDs, which helps a little I suppose. I normally try to stay away from computer and TV learning, as per TWTM, but I am desperate when it comes to science. They are watching a few of those this morning.:)

ETA: And we also have the complete set of Magic School Bus science DVDs, which helps a little I suppose. I normally try to stay away from computer and TV learning, as per TWTM, but I am desperate when it comes to science. They are watching a few of those this morning. :)

Have you seen the worksheets for them? http://starmaterials.com/VideoGuide/MSB/index.htm

If they don't want to fill them out, you can use it to ask them questions after they watch the video.

We are using Apologia and I've found it very do-able this year. I found a daily schedule that has shorter readings...we started with science twice a week, but I surprisingly found it easier to keep up with daily science. I also gave myself permission to skip any experiments I don't feel like doing. :blush: I no longer dread science since there aren't these time consuming science experiments waiting for me to organize (we have done a few this year). As far as notebooking, I usually add one notebook page for each chapter (using the suggestions right in the book).

Our schedule also lists days for tests, review games, etc. and we skip these as well...basically we read and narrate with an occasional notebook page or experiment thrown in for fun. It may not be the best approach, but science is finally getting done on a regular basis around here!

We are using Apologia and I've found it very do-able this year. I found a daily schedule that has shorter readings...we started with science twice a week, but I surprisingly found it easier to keep up with daily science. I also gave myself permission to skip any experiments I don't feel like doing. :blush: I no longer dread science since there aren't these time consuming science experiments waiting for me to organize (we have done a few this year). As far as notebooking, I usually add one notebook page for each chapter (using the suggestions right in the book).

Our schedule also lists days for tests, review games, etc. and we skip these as well...basically we read and narrate with an occasional notebook page or experiment thrown in for fun. It may not be the best approach, but science is finally getting done on a regular basis around here!

This sounds very doable. I might need to go back to this. I think if I could find some coloring pages to go with it, they would be pretty happy.

BTW, anyone know when little boys who love to color outgrow it? I will be sad when they outgrow it because they enjoy it so much now and it gives them something fun to do while I read (SOTW).

The most efficient way possible is to have your child read, read, read. A 6-year old can be read to and slowly overtime take over and by age 8 independently read for science. There are many of us here who run very rigorous elementary-school science programs through reading only. Here is a lovely description by 8filltheheart describing what she does.

As for your 9 yr old, I would start by simply implementing required science reading time daily. You can simply use library books on specific topics. A 9 yr old reading science 30-45 mins per day every day throughout elementary school will be solidly equipped for whatever you want to do in middle school.

I think the science foundation prior to high school is very important. I don't want it to sound like I am dismissing it, b/c I am not. We don't use textbooks, but we take science very seriously in that my kids do science every single solitary day for 30-45 mins from third grade through 8th. Every day w/o exception. B/c they cover so much science, we just don't need textbooks. If I had a student that hadn't been doing comprehensive science, I would use a textbook in both 7th and 8th.... [snip]

Solid math skills are going to enable success in science. [snip]

FWIW, we don't do projects or experiments formally at all until high school. I have managed to educate a family full of strong science students. It is ok to not be Ms. Frizzle and still have kids that understand science and have them develop a passion for it. Really. ;)

Reading about science is the best and easiest way. You can work your way through the 500's at the library and go topic by topic. The same with the DVD section there.

Elemental Science is an extremely easy curriculum that takes at most 15 mins a day. You read a pg, narrate in the notebook and once a week do a neat experiment using actual things in your house. Simple, easy, fast. I find using a curriculum like this gets the habit of doing science in place. Once you are doing science you can move on to more involved science curriculum.

Have you considered your reasons for not liking science or science curriculum you've tried? I would ask myself what it is exactly that I dislike and then go from there?

What Science programs have you tried? What didn't you like about each?

What is you background in Science? What is it about Science that you dislike? Why?

What are your goals for your kids learning Science?

I would think that thinking through these questions would be really helpful to you to figure out where to go next.

How's their reading skills? If they're reading well dig up a pile of books on interesting topics and set them loose. If they're not reading well enough to do that I'd just add a science book to your read aloud stack.

If you're stuck on something completely done for you, check out Aha! Science. It's cheap, independent, and fun. But I'd still get them real books on the topics they're covering.

I am still searching for more information but I think I am leaning towards stacks of library books and not worrying too much about it. My sons both like to read these type of books, so that will help. Where we start falling off the wagon is when I start asking for a narration of what we read or try to get them to write something or cut and paste. They enjoy coloring but not the cut and paste and writing parts. I am doing good just to get them to do the required writing for WWE and sometimes FLL. When I add any additional writing, one son in particular has major meltdowns. We are looking to have him evaluated by an OT.

At age 7, my DD was very handwriting-allergic, so I kept it to a minimum and did a lot orally. At 11, she's much more comfortable writing by hand, although I still don't make her write if it's not necessary, so time may help your boys too. Will they draw, or color a sheet that's applicable? (You could write at the top something like, "We read 'Really Cool Jaguars' by Jim Smith" and the date and have an easy record.) There's also nothing wrong with them dictating a few sentences to you about what they read, while you write them down; whenever we did that, I just wrote "DD dictated this to Mom" and added the date.

Elizabeth Foss has a list of different narration ideas, some of which might appeal to your boys. It's on this page, but scroll down a ways:

http://www.elizabethfoss.com/reallearning/2012/02/could-it-be-a-storybook-year.html

My other question to you would be: do you need an official portfolio for them? If not, I'd just stick to keeping a list of some of the books you read/they read (for your own records and as a keepsake for them). And just enjoy the books and don't worry about it. If you do have to have one, have them dictate or draw or color.

I think that not only is reading some library books better than nothing, it's actually excellent. Feeding their minds, introducing ideas and concepts and topics, letting them explore and discover and get excited -- this is all so so so good for elementary schoolers. (And I'm saying this to you as much as to myself, LOL, because I get worried about what we didn't do, and the reality is that my younger kids get plenty of science on an informal basis.)

Is there a nature center or state park near you? Take them for talks or hikes; take some photographs and maybe have them tell you a couple of sentences about what they liked the best. Follow up with some books on whatever the main topic was, if they want to know more. Feed their curiosity about the natural world and how things work -- the formal understanding can come later. And consider getting your husband involved -- mine likes sciencey stuff a lot more than I do, so he takes the kids hiking (it's a win all around -- they get science and Daddy time, and I get a break) or builds stuff with them or plays with SnapCircuits with them (which is another good option for your boys, maybe around 8; they can be done without a lot of adult supervision too).

Elemental Science has been the most efficient way to do science for me.

During the summer: go through the needed items list and put all the things you need in a box. Then you have everything you need right there to do the experiments. Also I make all the copies needed for this during this time.

We do Elemental Science Chemistry twice a week but follow the five day schedule. One day we do all the reading (five days worth) and writing (all writing including experiement write ups) and pasting and gluing and any other online research.

The second day we do the experiments (usually just one experiment) and they just write up the conclusion to the experiment and we talk about the experiment or anything else ...kind of a review of the topics read the other day.

I wait about a couple of lessons before giving them the quizzes and they are all relatively open book quizzes.

The writing required for Elemental Science is basically narrations. It is what they have been doing with Writing With Ease and Story of the World anyways. You can look over the writing and discuss any grammatical/ sentence structure mistakes and keep an eye on spelling and that is writing across the curriculum basically.

Now this year I have been lucky to find an older retired grandpa like neighbor who comes over and does the experiments with us. It has been great for the kids to have another voice regarding science. If you have grandparents, uncle, aunt, someone from church or coop or someone etc willing to help keep you accountable that could work too and have the kids regularly talk to them about what was covered in science that could help.

I agree with the mostly reading approach. I loosely follow the WTM subject (biology one year, earth science, chemistry, physics) just to give myself some kind of structure on what books/videos to look for. We read a lot of science and watch a lot of science videos/documentaries. Go on field trips (science museums, nature centers, a park for a nature walk, a local wetlands, planetarium, the zoo, etc). I have a science loving son who is also fairly writing phobic. The most surefire way I could kill science for him would be to make him narrate or write down what he does so I’ve never required any notebooking or written work for science.

I love science so we do a fair number of experiments/demonstrations also but I don’t think you have to do that in the elementary age if you or your kids aren’t particularly interested. If they are interested and you want to do more hands on here are some resources...

Insect Lore has great kits for raising caterpillars to butterflies and other kits. We’ve done the caterpillar several times and my kids loved it. We also did an ant farm that was fun.

Delta Education Science in a Nutshell has good kits for exploring a particular topic. I especially liked some of their earth science ones.

Farrar at I Capture the Rowhouse has great science posts. I’ve stolen a lot of her ideas for easy demonstrations at home.

You could always try and gather a few friends and create your own co op - then you don't have to teach it all the time. I am a huge fan of getting together with people because I am far more inclined to do it if I am accountable to someone else.

Science in our home never got done until I found Nancy Larson science. It is very open and go...everything you need, comes in the kit...(except a stray water bottle, spoon, etc)....some people love it (like us) and others don't...but if you want to know more, please ask...we have been using NL for 3 years and plan to continue.

We wanted to do Nancy Larson next year but decided to hold off for budget reasons...

Instead (and we've already started) we're doing the Magic School Bus series. I've sorted the episodes into categories (animals, earth science, physics, the human body, etc) and I just plan on adding fun activities and library books to go along with them. We've started on the "bug" episodes this week because we got a butterfly kit and ant farm recently and are "boarding" an inchworm right now. We'll probably do a few life cycle graphs and I'm having DD journal the butterfly growth.

This may not be popular...but for 2nd grade, I get stacks of library books for the child to read. I choose a subject per month, depending on what the child is interested in at the moment and just let him read and enjoy the books. Also at 2nd grade, my children loved sitting outside with a notebook once a week, drawing and making notes on what they observed.

:iagree: This is all we do for lower elementary. Starting in about 4th or 5th grade we do the Apologia Elementary books very informally (mostly just reading through them and some notebooking every now and then) until we start Apologia Physical Science in 8th grade.

In Tulsa for that age I'd join the zoo, the aquarium, and the library and just make it fun. Read some books about an animal and then go observe that animal. I can't remember if Tulsa has a natural history and science museum too, if not I'm sure you could justify an annual trip to Oklahoma City for field trips.

Disclaimer: I'm in the midst of re-thinking science, so I reserve the right to change my mind! :001_smile:

But after a lot of thinking and researching and more thinking, I would say I have to agree with previous posters: reading is the most efficient way to give elementary students a great science foundation. (Or reading plus good documentaries!) I believe that a graduating elementary student who has read something scientific every day for 15-30 minutes will be well-prepared to tackle later science.

I like to have a framework in mind so that I know we're encountering as many aspects of science as possible in these early years (I use BFSU for that, but TWTM also provides that sort of structure). I no longer think that's essential, but it has been helpful for me having girls who become obsessed with particular topics to the exclusion of all others. I let them read whatever they want related to their particular passion, but in our school science time we move through a variety of topics using BFSU as a guide. Sometimes I adjust our schedule to address a particular interest of theirs (BFSU is flexible that way, which is one of the reasons I prefer its structure to TWTM right now), but then we go back to working through topics.

I think that science can involve much more than reading, and I'm trying to include that "more" here through simple demonstrations and observations. But for simple effectiveness in science education, reading just can't be beat.

I'll second Aha Science. I am doing the reading book method also but my science oriented son (9) wanted more meat. I assign the units to do and he goes at it a couple days a week. $15 bucks per year??? That's a deal. It gets done.

DD6 who is not that into science is doing reading and narrations. They have all the MSB videos and books (almost).

Thanks everyone. It is so interesting to hear how others are approaching this. We have been using Elemental Science but we don't do it as often as we should. Yesterday we actually did an experiment but it did not work out quite like the book said it should. The boys enjoyed doing it anyway though.

I also have Nancy Larson and Evan Moor (we haven't used this yet), along with others. I just don't really feel that we have really found our groove yet. I'm concerned that it is just because I don't really care for science that much and , because of this, we may never really find our groove. But we will keep trying. Thanks!