Menu

What foods are these states known for?

caitlinsmom

Boudin is a type of sausage http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boudin

Poutine is french fries with brown gravy and cheese curds http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poutine

Thank you, Karen! I knew about poutine because of my friend in Montreal. My attempted mental jump was because of the P/B and the T/D consonant pairs (voiceless/voiced) appearing in the same part of the words. Also the French culture of both regions. So it seemed a defensible guess on my part. -- albeit a mistake after all!

I agree with what has already been written about PA (except for apples and peaches, both of which are here, but IME don't compare with NY/WA - apples and GA - peaches).

Also, what we've found in PA (to add to the others) are:

Pork & Sauerkraut - esp for New Year's

Faustnaughts - a type of donut served on Mardi Gras - it's Faustnaught Day here, not Mardi Gras

Lebanon bologna - a type of sandwich meat

Chicken corn soup

Chicken/beef pot pie - that isn't a pie - it's more like a stew or soup

"Amish" macaroni or potato salads - a sweet version of regular types

Many varieties of local potato chips and pretzels

These are the things my guys always want when they come back home because they can't get them elsewhere AND Philly Cheesesteaks, but they were mentioned before a couple of times. Actually, we don't like the Amish versions of the salads, and don't really do the local pot "pie" versions, but the others they always ask for.

In addition to the GA things mentioned, don't forget that GA is the home of Coca-Cola and Chick-Fil-A.

Although GA is known as the 'peach' state, I think SC actually grows more peaches.

And Waffle House. :laugh: Actually the best peaches I've ever had were from AL. I remember hearing a story that GA's nickname was originally Pitch State (because of all the pine trees) but got changed to Peach because it was more appealing. Don't know if it's true but with the deluge of pine pollen we get each spring it sure sounds reasonable to me.

WV is big on really thick homemade noodles (we lived right on the border of OH/WV and the noodles was at every thanksgiving and Christmas we spent with different friends and I never liked anyone's version of them lol)

I grew up in WV and have no dea about those noodles. Could they be slippery dumplings? That would be sad and wrong because dumplings should be fluffy!