Menu

Girls swimsuits with shorts

ladydusk

I have an extremely skinny almost-6 year old. The size 6 top and length is fine, but she has the skinniest little legs so the regular style bottoms are way too big and you can see in - and I mean see everything. This is a child who still happily and comfortably wears size 4 underpants.

Help! Last year's suit was a 4T suit which fits almost perfectly at the bottom, but not at all in the torso. She's had board short and rash guard shirt pairings in the past -my preference- but I'm having a hard time finding any this year. I went to Target, Walmart, Meijer, OshKosh, Carter's, Crazy 8, and Gymboree last night. Crazy 8 had one but it was kinda ugly - bad colors and the sea horse wasn't cute. The girls board shorts I'm seeing online are more like boy trunks and less like the bike shorts style that works for her.

Have you ever seen Love To Learn Modest swimsuits? I looked at them, but never have tried any. We have had better luck at Plato's Closet for dd13 and OP shorts for younger ones with the one piece suits.

How is the management at your Plato's Closet? At our local one I went in once with my kids, and they told me they have a rule of only one person per fitting room (room partitions did not extend to the floor so you could see legs of anyone inside) -- I would not be allowed to enter the fitting room with my kids to help my DD put on an outfit. The doors to the fitting rooms all opened facing the rest of the store, so if I was going to help her without entering she would have been on display to the entire store, with men and boys present, in a state of partial undress. We left, and I haven't been back. I've been wondering if this is typical of Plato's Closet, or if it is a problem with local management.

As for swimsuits, I'm always on the hunt, too. Younger DD is a skinny beanpole who needs size 10 long pants for leg length but (short torso and long limbs) can still easily get into and out of the 1-piece 6X swimsuits at the grandparents' house. Elder DD was easier to fit until now -- certain girlish body changes and being on the edge of kids' size 16 and whatever comes afterwards. I told her after the school year ends our first shopping day (we are planning one per month) will be for swimsuits and properly fitting summer wear. Since our Sears store closed we have no place to try Lands End stuff on for shape as well as size before buying, and enough of their stuff didn't fit right I'm leery of expensive suits bought without trying first.

How is the management at your Plato's Closet? At our local one I went in once with my kids, and they told me they have a rule of only one person per fitting room (room partitions did not extend to the floor so you could see legs of anyone inside) -- I would not be allowed to enter the fitting room with my kids to help my DD put on an outfit. The doors to the fitting rooms all opened facing the rest of the store, so if I was going to help her without entering she would have been on display to the entire store, with men and boys present, in a state of partial undress. We left, and I haven't been back. I've been wondering if this is typical of Plato's Closet, or if it is a problem with local management.

As for swimsuits, I'm always on the hunt, too. Younger DD is a skinny beanpole who needs size 10 long pants for leg length but (short torso and long limbs) can still easily get into and out of the 1-piece 6X swimsuits at the grandparents' house. Elder DD was easier to fit until now -- certain girlish body changes and being on the edge of kids' size 16 and whatever comes afterwards. I told her after the school year ends our first shopping day (we are planning one per month) will be for swimsuits and properly fitting summer wear. Since our Sears store closed we have no place to try Lands End stuff on for shape as well as size before buying, and enough of their stuff didn't fit right I'm leery of expensive suits bought without trying first.

Platos here does not carry kids and I find them to be quite rude.

What about Childrens Place online for the shorts? I got DD a nice pair of swim shorts from there. Also, Hanna Anderson had some cute swim skirts.

I agree with the Land's End recommendation. Coolibar also has some great options. They're expensive, but they last forever. We have a wrist to ankle surf suit that is going into its fourth summer (second kid) of heavy use at the pool and the beach. They also have separate shorts and tops.

Platos here does not carry kids and I find them to be quite rude.

What about Childrens Place online for the shorts? I got DD a nice pair of swim shorts from there. Also, Hanna Anderson had some cute swim skirts.

Ah. Sounds like there IS consistency between sister stores, then. They were quite rude here, too. Some of their XS clothes would have fit DD, but we put the clothes down and left.

I will go check out Childrens Place and Hanna Anderson. Thanks for mentioning!

We love these suits:

http://www.becomings..._Swimdress.html

The bike-style shorts underneath keep everything covered (and keep sand out!). The fit works for all different types of bodies. The suit is also very comfortable and my daughter loves how it looks.

Oh, wow! My girls would love these, and I want one, too! I always have issues with getting correctly-placed non-wedgie coverage, and most I've found that fit me are swim dresses, and most women's swim dresses have halters (halters bother my neck). These are cute!

I've been following this. DD is going to be in the water a lot this summer, so I think we'll be heading to Land's End. We have the same problem of her being skinny. My goal is for her to have appropriate coverage up top (she's just starting to develop there, so a rash guard top like she's worn previous years isn't going to be enough by itself any more) and bottoms that don't show her split in the back. I want two-piece for her (tankini style) because she'll likely be heading to day camp with the suit under her clothes every day and I don't want restrooms to be a hassle for her.