Menu

WM/Costco/Target/Sam's/et.al

Dad 4 Boys

I just went to and looked at the Human Rights Campaign's scores for Target and Walmart. I had never been to their website before, so I was surprised to see that the ratings are mostly based on health insurance coverage for domestic partners, diversity training for GBLT issues, etc. Is there any group out there that rates companies on a more general scale? One that addresses issues like unpaid overtime, etc? The way the HRC scores companies seems very lopsided to me, like as long as a company has diversity training, paying a poor wage won't hurt their score.

If there is something I am misunderstanding about the HRC scoring system, please fill me in.

Um, HRC is specifically an organization promoting equal rights for gay people and sexual minorities. Their ratings are lopsided to the same degree that National Rifle Association, Planned Parenthood, Emily's List or the Concerned Women for America's ratings would be- all around the specific mission of each organization.

Um, HRC is specifically an organization promoting equal rights for gay people and sexual minorities. Their ratings are lopsided to the same degree that National Rifle Association, Planned Parenthood, Emily's List or the Concerned Women for America's ratings would be- all around the specific mission of each organization.

Katie, I really appreciate the way you explained this. Of course it's "lopsided!!" It's HRC. The name should give you a clue as to its agenda. :confused1:

I shop in whatever store is most convenient for me at the time.

We have several Walmart stores in our area, and they all seem fine, but we mostly go to the one nearest our house -- it is clean and bright, and the shelves are well-stocked and tidy. The restrooms are clean. The employee turnover seems to be very minimal, as I have seen the same people working there for years. The managers seem very nice and are helpful to the point of helping me put heavy stuff in my car if they see me going out of the store with something like several cases of water. The people at Sam's are always very nice, too, and the store and rest rooms are very well maintained. Costco is incredibly crowded and the employees seem pretty frazzled. The people at BJ's are nice, but are often clueless. Our local Target stores are clean and nice, but the ladies room in one of them always leaves something to be desired. The employees seem to go out of their way to be helpful, though.

I have been in Walmarts in other places, though, and a few of them have been dingy and kind of depressing, so I guess we're just lucky.

You say reputable, I say biased. The watchdogs are being selective about whom they are watching and how closely. Their grading criteria are also biased. IMO it is sad that so many people are so easily influenced by groups with biased agendas.

Every group has an agenda. Every agenda has a bias. It stands to reason that when picking a group to help sort out various choices, people would be picking ones where the group's agenda and bias matches their own agenda and bias. I am supportive of the mission of HRC so I really can't say I mind their particular bias. I share a similar paradigm with their policymakers. Plenty of people look to groups like Concerned Women for America, Focus on the Family or Million Moms or what not. I may not personally like their opinions and perspective but I can't begrudge like minded women the right to look to their own information leaders for help in making various decisions. No one can spend all day researching and gleaning the same information groups aggregate and distill but many people do want a fairly reliable, quick guide as to which places more closely support their values or, in other words, their bias. Bias is not a dirty word. People should be aware of the bias in the information they act on, but we are not neutral operators making neutral decisions in a neutral world.

Now their ratings make more sense to me.

So, is there a group rating companies for overall treatment of employees that has much more general criteria?

Probably only union supportive orgs or unions rank companies on working conditions and employee treatment. No one can say union orgs won't have their own bias though. You sort of have to wade through a lot to get a full picture.

I just don't enjoy the experience of shopping at Walmart. I don't know for sure that the people are ruder there, but at ours there are so many more people packed in. You can't move without bumping into people and unlike in the world outside of Walmart, it never seems to occur to someone to actually say excuse me when they've done so.

The bathroom situation is always bad. It seems like one of the two bathrooms in our store is always closed, and it's always the one you're actually near. Oh I guess there is also a family bathroom available, when an employee doesn't decide to jump in even when there's an actual family waiting to use it.

Yes, to both of these. In addition, our two local Wal-marts jam pack the aisles with additional merchandise. It's hard to get around, and then people come racing out of the side aisles into the main aisles without looking. They seriously almost need some sort of a stoplight system. I shop there, but only because it's convenient. There is one 5 min from my house, and if I need diapers at 10 p.m., guess where I'm headed?

And yeah, it irritates me to NO END that the employees use the family restrooms. Especially when they see there is a FAMILY waiting to use them.

Of course it's "lopsided!!" It's HRC. The name should give you a clue as to its agenda. :confused1:

I'd heard of them, but had no idea until this week that their only agenda was LGBT rights. With a name like Human Rights Campaign, I would (and did) assume their agenda would include much more than the LGBT scope--things like human sex trafficking and issues of people in war-torn countries. Obviously I was mistaken.

I'd heard of them, but had no idea until this week that their only agenda was LGBT rights. With a name like Human Rights Campaign, I would (and did) assume their agenda would include much more than the LGBT scope--things like human sex trafficking and issues of people in war-torn countries. Obviously I was mistaken.

I'm a concerned American woman but I am not a Concerned Woman for America. The National RIFLE Association lobbies for mostly unfettered access to all types of guns and even larger arms. National Resources Defense Council could be an org lobbying for utilizing all of our natural resources free from government regulation just as easily as it could be a the environmental preservation group that it is. Is Focus on the Family an organization that focuses on my particular family? Does the HSLDA support ALL homeschoolers (including single parents, gay parents, goddless pinko commie parents)? No on both scores. Names for organizations rarely can only fit to just one issue. Effective organizations generally specialize their focus instead of trying to solve every single issue under the sun. HRC chose their name to underscore that equal rights for people regardless of sexual orientation is a human rights issue, not a special right. HRC is also an extraordinarily effective and high functioning organization. No one thought they would see as much change on sexual orientation politics as we have when the HRC was founded 32 years ago, not that long after being gay was decriminalized and removed from the DSM. While that change is not all to their credit, they have played an tremendously powerful role.

You say reputable, I say biased. The watchdogs are being selective about whom they are watching and how closely. Their grading criteria are also biased. IMO it is sad that so many people are so easily influenced by groups with biased agendas.

Well, since their "bias" matches my own values, it's not a problem for me.

The HRC is also not my only source of information. I've watched several documentaries and read multiple books that included information about Walmart's business practices. Not one of them made me feel like I could give that corporation a single dollar without feeling guilty about it.

Edit: You could take a look at this organization, too: http://ethisphere.com/wme/

Target and Costco both make the list of world's most ethical companies in their category. Walmart does not.

Here's an article from Forbes about the organization that issues those ratings: http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquelynsmith/2012/03/15/the-worlds-most-ethical-companies/

Or this one: http://www.corporatecritic.org/companies.aspx

Target is not rated. However, Costco earns an 11.5, which is on the high side of "average." Walmart earns 0.5, which is in the "very poor" category.

I'm a concerned American woman but I am not a Concerned Woman for America. The National RIFLE Association lobbies for mostly unfettered access to all types of guns and even larger arms. National Resources Defense Council could be an org lobbying for utilizing all of our natural resources free from government regulation just as easily as it could be a the environmental preservation group that it is. Is Focus on the Family an organization that focuses on my particular family? Does the HSLDA support ALL homeschoolers (including single parents, gay parents, goddless pinko commie parents)? No on both scores. Names for organizations rarely can only fit to just one issue. Effective organizations generally specialize their focus instead of trying to solve every single issue under the sun. HRC chose their name to underscore that equal rights for people regardless of sexual orientation is a human rights issue, not a special right. HRC is also an extraordinarily effective and high functioning organization. No one thought they would see as much change on sexual orientation politics as we have when the HRC was founded 32 years ago, not that long after being gay was decriminalized and removed from the DSM. While that change is not all to their credit, they have played an tremendously powerful role.

Perhaps I was misunderstood? I wasn't criticizing the name or the agenda :). Just commenting that I'd heard the name around and assumed it had to do with a broader spectrum of human rights. Another poster commented that their agenda should have been obvious from their name, and I was merely saying that it hadn't been obvious to me!

Perhaps I was misunderstood? I wasn't criticizing the name or the agenda :). Just commenting that I'd heard the name around assumed it had to do with a broader spectrum of human rights. Another poster commented that their agenda should have been obvious from their name, and I was merely saying that it hadn't been obvious to me!

I didn't assume you were being critical, I was just underscoring that names of organizations do not always sound exactly like what they do. Someone unfamiliar with the Red Cross could assume that they promoted crosses that are red (yes, I know this is a VERY silly example!) I used to work for an organization that was named (City) (common food staple) Fund. Only we didn't distribute that food staple and we didn't just operate in that city. Go figure! :)

At Target I have never found anything I liked - even when a friend gave me a $50 gift card and insisted it must be spent on myself.

You couldn't find any books or dvd's or music cd's that you liked at Target? Hair or nail products that you normally wouldn't spend your own money on? Interesting. Spending money on yourself doesn't mean you have to buy clothes.

You couldn't find any books or dvd's or music cd's that you liked at Target? Hair or nail products that you normally wouldn't spend your own money on? Interesting. Spending money on yourself doesn't mean you have to buy clothes.

I could have spent that 50 bucks in less than 5 minutes, and I wouldn't have had to go anywhere near the clothing department to do it!

But then again, I'm a shopper from way back... ;)

IF Target does that here, I sure haven't heard about it from kids at school. Most local businesses contribute something - products, gift cards, whatever. I've yet to hear of anything from Target. Plus, their not allowing locals to fundraise affects me negatively. I like that our local stores (including Walmart) allow kids or local groups to do that. I can choose to contribute or not. YMMV.

The fact that you haven't heard about it doesn't mean it isn't true. It's their national policy. It's real.

At least the Girl Scouts are selling something worth having. I mean, I don't eat their cookies, but I usually buy a box or two of Thin Mints for my husband each year. What I really, really dislike is the groups just standing there collecting money (begging). Personally, I think kids ought to have to work for stuff, not just scavenge change from strangers.

:iagree: 100%. During my years as a high school teacher I sponsored clubs and coached cheerleaders. I never let my kids beg for money. If we needed to do a fundraiser, they sold something or performed a service (car wash, babysitting, cleaning yards, etc.). I refuse to give to any student group that simply begs for money. I think we teach kids a number of lessons by letting them beg, none of which are good lessons.

I buy my annual boxes of GS cookies from kids we know at church. I write checks to organizations I actually want to support and to reputable umbrella organizations. I participate in fundraisers at the register, like the kind where you can tack on a couple of dollars to your bill and have it go to local food banks and such.

This is what we do. We usually know someone whose child is selling cookies or whatever, so we prefer to buy from them. As for charities, we choose which ones we will give to, and none of them are ones that stand outside stores.

For me it's totally a social thing. Walmart allows kids and local groups to fundraise at their stores and contributes a bit to local things. Target does not.

I know I sound mean, but personally, I absolutely hate it when fundraising groups are set up outside a store, swooping down like vultures on everyone for donations, or trying to sell candy or nuts or baked goods or popcorn or whatever -- and a lot of them are very pushy and obnoxious about it.

In our area, the worst offenders are the high school cheerleading squad, who are always trying to get donations so they can go to some competition or another. And no matter how polite you are, some of them get kind of snotty if you won't give them any money. :glare:

If you have not done so already you should watch The High Cost of Low Prices.

I haven't seen that but I'm guessing it's similar to the article I linked. I'll have to look for it.

(FTR, the Target in my town allows GS and other groups to have tables in front for selling stuff).

Then they are violating Target's national policy.

FWIW, while I've been in some skeevy Walmart stores, the one in my city is always clean (not counting the odd spilled item that hasn't been cleaned up yet), as are its restrooms.

For me it's also about the experience I get when shopping. At Target and Costco they consistently have the shelves fully stocked, helpful employees, lines move quickly, stores are clean etc. At Walmart that is not the experience I get...ever. They never have what I'm looking for, the store is always dirty looking, the line has 50 people on it and one super slower checker, you can not find an employee to help you find anything. If I am going to spend our hard earned money somewhere I want a pleasant experience while doing it!

Totally agree. We are very rural and have an hour drive to get to any of the three closest cities that have Walmart or Target. It is the same at every one of them. We finally said we are done with Walmart and we shop at Target for household items and the local grocery store chain for food items.

I know I sound mean, but personally, I absolutely hate it when fundraising groups are set up outside a store, swooping down like vultures on everyone for donations, or trying to sell candy or nuts or baked goods or popcorn or whatever -- and a lot of them are very pushy and obnoxious about it.

In our area, the worst offenders are the high school cheerleading squad, who are always trying to get donations so they can go to some competition or another. And no matter how polite you are, some of them get kind of snotty if you won't give them any money. :glare:

I so agree with you. In our area the worst offenders are the pop warner type cheerleaders and football players.

You can't pay me money to shop in my local Walmart. It is nasty, flithy, and they have a police unit stationed outside of it anymore. You feel like you need a tetanus shot after being in it. However, the walmart near where we go hiking and stuff is so clean you could eat off the floor. Even my DH comments on how much pride is shown in that one from the cashiers to the managers. I prefer Target overall but when you are in the middle of nowhere, you can't be picky.

It has been my observation that there is a big element of classism in the anti-WalMart sentiment. I don't believe that Wal-Mart is really that much worse in its labor practices than Target, or any of the other "big box" stores. But because their customers tend to be less affluent than Target's, a LOT of people look down their noses at WM. Snobbery, pure and simple.

There might be some of this. But I am definitely not affluent and I genuinely dislike Walmart. When I lived in rural Kentucky it was my only choice and I constantly dealt with poorly trained staff and messy shelves. Plus, they don't often don't carry what I need. I have asked for pretty common things like leeks and pimientos only to be told they don't carry fancy things.

It has been my observation that there is a big element of classism in the anti-WalMart sentiment. I don't believe that Wal-Mart is really that much worse in its labor practices than Target, or any of the other "big box" stores. But because their customers tend to be less affluent than Target's, a LOT of people look down their noses at WM. Snobbery, pure and simple.

I don't know anyone here well enough to say this applies here (not saying you are either) but I definitely have seen this IRL. I once went to a brand-new Walmart with a friend who complained the whole time about how dirty & sleezy it was. I couldn't figure it out. No, the décor isn't as current as Target but it was most-definitely clean. I've heard similar comments about the Walmart in my hometown which was recently rebuilt into a SuperWalmart. I shop at whichever store is most convenient at the time. I make the most responsible purchase choices I can but I've got limited time & resources so sometimes Walmart is the best I can do. The only Walmarts which I've found unacceptable to me have been in urban areas. But I generally find that to be true of Target as well. ETA: I detest that People of Walmart blog. Yuck.

ETA: I detest that People of Walmart blog. Yuck.

I am in total agreement. It is so disgustingly classist. And bluntly, my mother could have at times been one of those pictures with her felt hat, waist length but not usually brushed red hair and gigantic, odd looking poncho and year round mostly worn out sandals. She was quite a sight sometimes. So I feel a little protective when I think about it. Though, my mom never shopped at WalMart. Again, there isn't one here to shop at if you wanted too and my mother was more of a thrift store lady anyways.

Perhaps I was misunderstood? I wasn't criticizing the name or the agenda :). Just commenting that I'd heard the name around assumed it had to do with a broader spectrum of human rights. Another poster commented that their agenda should have been obvious from their name, and I was merely saying that it hadn't been obvious to me!

Same here - I learned something today - well, yesterday.

:iagree: 100%. During my years as a high school teacher I sponsored clubs and coached cheerleaders. I never let my kids beg for money. If we needed to do a fundraiser, they sold something or performed a service (car wash, babysitting, cleaning yards, etc.). I refuse to give to any student group that simply begs for money. I think we teach kids a number of lessons by letting them beg, none of which are good lessons.

Same here. It's why I like to support the kids when they are actually doing something or selling something (worthwhile, not Chinese trinkets). I support them at Wally World, our local grocery store, and when they wash cars at McDonald's parking lot (plus more). I guess our community is a bit more locally minded than some others out there. It's definitely more locally minded than other places I've lived - esp urban places. I'm glad to be part of it.

You can't pay me money to shop in my local Walmart. It is nasty, flithy, and they have a police unit stationed outside of it anymore. You feel like you need a tetanus shot after being in it. However, the walmart near where we go hiking and stuff is so clean you could eat off the floor. Even my DH comments on how much pride is shown in that one from the cashiers to the managers.

The other thing I've learned from this thread is that you can only judge stores locally - not via brand name. I'll continue to make my decisions on where I spend my money based upon things I see locally. Of course, when we travel I can't do that, but the local "positives and negatives" will carry over until I experience something otherwise - then any love or hate will apply to that store only. There's no need to carry that info back to my local stores. I've only had one bad WM experience around the US - vs several that were good or satisfactory for what we wanted. I'll skip shopping in that one store for as long as I live (IF we ever get back there), but will continue shopping in others. I've had two bad Target experiences - plus their RED bugs me and they don't allow local fundraisers, something I, personally support. With the plethora of stores around, there's absolutely no reason for me to ever set foot in one of their stores.

Many have mentioned clothing... for clothes, we often shop in Kohls or smaller stores getting just basics (socks, etc) from WM. WM, for me, is mainly a grocery store or some other basics (camping stuff, yard stuff, etc). My TP and paper towels actually come from our local grocery store as they carry a brand of 100% mostly post consumer recycled that we like. We don't buy CDs or movies or such things. We're not very materialistic preferring to spend more of our money on travel than "stuff." We buy things we consume. WM and my local grocery are really the only two stores I shop at - no chain drug stores, dollar stores (talk about stores that treat employees poorly!!!), or stores where you have to pay money to belong.

Oh, then we also shop at our feed store and some outdoor stores when we need boots (not all that often). The one prescription we get monthly comes from our local drug store - very local - no other town has this store. They were also the best in price when we called around. ;) We get our greeting cards from there too.

It is VERY interesting reading about where others shop and things they feel are important in their choices. For us, it's local reputation and convenience - in that order. What we buy (or don't) is based upon both local and global decisions.

I shop at WM and Target. I shop where I find things i need at a price that is the lowest. I have not been to Costco yet, but we just got one and I plan on trying it. I tried the banning a place because of it's political views, working conditions, and other things but when it came down to needing something one of those stores had for $$ cheaper then another, I caved and went where I can save. So far the Wm I go to is clean and neat. Help is abundant and the lines are always short. The shelves are stocked too. Things I buy at these stores last long or break fast, I have not noticed one happening more from a certain store then the other.

I am in total agreement. It is so disgustingly classist. And bluntly, my mother could have at times been one of those pictures with her felt hat, waist length but not usually brushed red hair and gigantic, odd looking poncho and year round mostly worn out sandals. She was quite a sight sometimes. So I feel a little protective when I think about it. Though, my mom never shopped at WalMart. Again, there isn't one here to shop at if you wanted too and my mother was more of a thrift store lady anyways.

I think she sounds kind of cool! :)

I didn't assume you were being critical, I was just underscoring that names of organizations do not always sound exactly like what they do. Someone unfamiliar with the Red Cross could assume that they promoted crosses that are red (yes, I know this is a VERY silly example!) I used to work for an organization that was named (City) (common food staple) Fund. Only we didn't distribute that food staple and we didn't just operate in that city. Go figure! :)

Exactly. THE HRC isn't the, "Big Ole Homos" group anymore than the NRA's name is, "Shoot 'Em in the Butt."

Has anyone read or heard about Walmart's sleazy business behavior in Mexico? I realize that individual stores can be disgusting or ell maintained, and employers can be happy or poorly treated, but face it-overall the company really is unethical in its business behavior.

Yes! And did you read the article this week about the projected life cycle of Walmart? It was fascinating.

I think she sounds kind of cool! :)

:) She was cool and brilliant and funny and generous. She was also dirt poor and obese and that People of WalMart site seems to be mostly "ha ha ha, look at the fat poor person." Appearances don't mean a lot about a person's character. My mom ran a lunch program for the homeless for no pay, used to walk the road where the car camping homeless families were and distribute supplies and she would happily share whatever little bit she had with anyone in need despite being in need herself. She could (and often did) hold down an animated conversation with everyone from the mayor to a homeless teen. We are approaching the season she was last alive 4 years ago so I am feeling nostalgic. How I hated that brown poncho as a teenager and how much I'd give to have it now. :)

This is an old article but explains it quite well. Long, but worth the read.

http://www.fastcompa...t-you-dont-know

That definitely gets to the root of the problem. I like the way this paragraph puts it...

Wal-Mart has also lulled shoppers into ignoring the difference between the price of something and the cost. Its unending focus on price underscores something that Americans are only starting to realize about globalization: Ever-cheaper prices have consequences. Says Steve Dobbins, president of thread maker Carolina Mills: "We want clean air, clear water, good living conditions, the best health care in the world--yet we aren't willing to pay for anything manufactured under those restrictions."

I participate in that process just as much as anybody. It's extremely difficult to do otherwise.

A company I worked for that contracted with Home Depot went through similar experiences as the Walmart vendors. Home Depot lures companies in with promises of volume. Then, once the Home Depot business has become central to the vendor, and the vendor is now dependent on Home Depot, they start the hardline negotiating. Lower, lower, lower, and if you don't, well then see ya later. We had provided superior product and customer service for YEARS, and when the boss finally said, that's it, we can't go any lower without giving the product away, they had a new vendor before he finished the sentence. A new vendor who had a terrible reputation in the field I might add. Thankfully the boss was smart enough to still maintain other business outside the Home Depot, but the company still was hit pretty hard. Other companies just go under completely.

Yeah point blank Target charges more for everything than Walmart. And they sell a lot of cute stuff people with lots of extra money like to buy. Not totally dissing it, I sometimes go there. But I don't think they are light years more ethical than Walmart. And if I want the best deal on contact lens solution I'll probably find it at Walmart.

Did you read the linked article about Walmart's dealings with suppliers, though? It's entirely possible the "cheaper" stuff you're buying at Walmart isn't actually comparable to what I'm buying at Target or elsewhere. And that's before we reach the question of how long the manufacturer of that contact lens solution will be able to stay in business getting paid Walmart rates for their goods.

As I read more about this, I begin to wonder how many of the folks who staunchly assert they must shop at Walmart because that's where they find the best values might be better off, financially, if more of us chose to shop elsewhere? In other words, consumers demand lower prices, which leads to Walmart demanding lower and lower prices from their suppliers, which leads to manufacturers going bankrupt, which puts people out of work, which leads to more customers for Walmart as consumers seek out lower and lower prices to cope with their reduced financial circumstances, which leads to the whole cycle starting over again and going lower and lower . . .

Did you read the linked article about Walmart's dealings with suppliers, though? It's entirely possible the "cheaper" stuff you're buying at Walmart isn't actually comparable to what I'm buying at Target or elsewhere. And that's before we reach the question of how long the manufacturer of that contact lens solution will be able to stay in business getting paid Walmart rates for their goods.

I haven't noticed any difference in the quality of the name-brand merchandise I have purchased at Walmart and the same stuff when I've purchased it in other stores. Truthfully, the Walmart "store brand" stuff seems mostly fine, too. I don't think I have ever had to return anything to Walmart due to it being of poor quality. (Sure, a few toys didn't work properly -- but then I read reviews, and people had the exact same problems with the toys they bought at Target, ToysRUs, and other stores, so it wasn't a "Walmart quality" issue; it was a general "the toy doesn't work" issue.)

I hate it, too.

If I see the vultures scouts/cheerleaders set up outside one door of the grocery store, I'll use the other door to avoid them.

I totally understand what you are saying. But thing is, here the only options are mega stores. Mega grocery stores, mega department stores, mega pharmacies, etc. There aren't any smaller stores with different practices.

No, I get that. But not every mega store operates in the same way. Walmart is so huge that they have enormous power to set prices and make demands of their suppliers, and they use that power in ways that have directly contributed to the downfall of more than one business. No other single retailer in this country has that kind of power. Realistically, even the next largest competitor has a signficantly smaller impact than Walmart.

I've never had any problem with not finding what I'm looking for at WalMart. Mine is actually really good that way. .... As for the bathrooms, I don't know what it is, but yeah, always gross.

Huh, that's funny! Ours is the opposite. The bathrooms are always clean, but 1/2 the time I can't find what I'm looking for or it's out of stock.

A-freakin men. If I go to a store I really hate to be ambushed by kids selling this, that, and the other thing.

As for Walmart I refuse to go there anymore. They are a crap company in my opinion and their clothes are cheap, don't last, and the food is all artificial junk. Target is so much nicer. The clothes are better made and the food selection includes quality stuff in among the regular junk offering. Of course I may be over educated....or something

One thing I don't like about Target's clothing though is that they don't sell a lot of petite sizes. So most of the time their clothing doesn't fit right. I have better luck at Walmart.

Kohl's has a lot of petite. I mostly shop old navy for me because I like to be able to chuck it after a year or two when I get tired of it.

One thing I don't like about Target's clothing though is that they don't sell a lot of petite sizes. So most of the time their clothing doesn't fit right. I have better luck at Walmart.

My experience has been the complete opposite. The Wal-Mart closest to where I live never seems to stock anything smaller than a misses' 8 (and often the smallest size is a 10 or a 12). The Target, by contrast, has lots of 0's and 2's (not that I could squeeze myself into those sizes, LOL!) I have personally always chalked that up to Wal-Mart targeting a different demographic than Target.