Menu

Looking for quriky, unusual, funny, or offbeat curriculua.

mo2

Someone on another thread mentioned they were using Giggly Guide to Grammar, and it looks absolutely PERFECT for my kids. In the same thread, The Word Snoop was mentioned, and I added it to my Amazon cart too. That got me wondering what other similar curricula are out there. For what it's worth, I'm pretty liberal and not offended easily. :)

The stuff by Ellen McHenry is good and offbeat. I get the same feeling from Mr. Q's science. Ariel thinks MCT stuff is pretty entertaining.

Not curricula, but fun and educational:

Horrible Histories (especially the TV show)

Keeping Clean, a Very Peculiar History (there are several in this series, but this is the only one I've read so far)

It's Disgusting and We Ate It

Wee Bee Tunes DVD (the first one's songs are SUPER catchy)

Beakman's World

Good Apple has some amazing civics curricula. "Our Living Constitution" and "Everyday Law For Young Citizens" do a great job of introducing constitutional, civil, and criminal law. The latter uses the case law approach used in law schools: a set of facts is set out, the appropriate law is explained and applied, and the facts are tweaked to see if and how the outcome changes.

Adding thumbs up for the No Boring Practice Please and Horrible Books.

My son adores this Idioms book by Jag Bhalla...very, very funny but may be better suited to slightly older kids due to a line or three of mature content.

He also liked How The States Got Their Shapes (the film version more than the book). Season 1 is available on Prime Instant Video. Season 2 is $1.99 per episode at the moment.

He loves almost anything by Martin Gardner.

He also found this Teaching Company high school world history course quite quirky and enjoyable because the professor dresses up in period costumes...depends on the viewer...not everyone I've spoken to about it likes it.

Taking notes. :) Just added How the States Got Their Shapes to our Amazon watch list - thank you!

Sir Cumference book series for math concepts (e.g., Sir Cumference and the Sword in the Cone, Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi...) are fun to read.

These are fun! Just a quick hint, if you are thinking of buying them - if you buy a subscription to the Reading Rainbow app for iPad, they are all available on it. We own a few of the books, and then realized there are a ton of them on the app. It's $29.99 for a 6 month subscription to the app, but that's less than buying all the books. Of course, the library would be even less. :tongue_smilie: Our library doesn't have them, so the app was a great way to get access to them without spending the cash.

The Kathleen Krull books, especially the Lives of...books. Totally hilarious.

My ds loves those Lives Of...books. He even asked for one at Xmas.

For grammar I would say the Woe Is I Jr. book. It reads well as a read-aloud and is a really good and funny refresher for an older child. It's elicits the giggles. I like The Deluxe Transitive Vampire: The Ultimate Handbook of Grammar for the Innocent, the Eager, and the Doomed.

I think Private Eye would qualify for unusual as well.

Any Klutz Press product such as Watercolor for the Artistically Undiscovered or the Explorabook. You can't go wrong with Klutz for the fun factor.

The Cartoon History books and The Cartoon Guide books by Larry Gonick for older kids.

Sir Cumference book series for math concepts (e.g., Sir Cumference and the Sword in the Cone, Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi...) are fun to read.

I hate these! Well, okay, not hate, but they irritate me. I am glad, though, that someone likes them.

Most of what I was going to suggest have already been mentioned. I love all the different Tin Man Press books. I think Life of Fred and probably Beast Academy are different. I like Bunches of Grammar Fun and Bunches of Sentence Fun (they are pricey though). I really like Menu Math and Drive Thru Math. Something I think it neat that I might get for next year is Pet Store Math (they have sports and library too). The Sentence Family is neat and so is The Humpties Grammar. A fun geography book is The Amazing Pop-Up Geography Book.

ETA: oh, and I forgot...Marie's Words look neat for vocabulary.

Horrible Histories are really good, but I'm still mad at Terry Dreary.

Along the same line there are also math, geography, science, biography, etc. and not all written by Dreary.

Just check them out from the library instead of buying your own copies. :laugh:

I can't remember what branch of science you are choosing, but for physical science, check out 'The Periodic Table of Videos.' The science is solid, but the presenters are super quirky. My ds has loved these from about end of 5th grade on.

http://www.periodicvideos.com

If you re doing U.S. geography/history, try 'How the States Got Their Shapes.' We watched episodes online (it was either Netflix or Amazon Prime); the 2 hour intro pilot was not streamed (library or purchase). The host is upbeat & funny, but he weaves a lot of history into each episode. There is a also a book.

http://www.history.com/shows/how-the-states-got-their-shapes

I can't remember what branch of science you are choosing, but for physical science, check out 'The Periodic Table of Videos.' The science is solid, but the presenters are super quirky. My ds has loved these from about end of 5th grade on.

http://www.periodicvideos.com

If you re doing U.S. geography/history, try 'How the States Got Their Shapes.' We watched episodes online (it was either Netflix or Amazon Prime); the 2 hour intro pilot was not streamed (library or purchase). The host is upbeat & funny, but he weaves a lot of history into each episode. There is a also a book.

http://www.history.c...ot-their-shapes

Thanks! The States videos are on Amazon Prime, so you just helped me justify the expense! :)

He also found this Teaching Company high school world history course quite quirky and enjoyable because the professor dresses up in period costumes...depends on the viewer...not everyone I've spoken to about it likes it.

This looks neat. But I can't seem to find any place to watch a sample of it. I also can't find out how long it is. Can anyone please help me.

Yo Millard Fillmore! And All Those Other Presidents You Don't Know

DH loves this book, he taught himself the presidents in one evening and was an immediate convert! We're still waiting for "Yo! Sacramento" to arrive.

The girls like "Caught'Ya! Grammar with a Giggle" a while back.

Homeschool Freebie of the Day just advertised these two free iPad apps...thought they were pretty neat:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/explore/apps/sound-uncovered

http://www.exploratorium.edu/explore/apps/color-uncovered

Also Phet Interactive Simulations put out by Univ of Colorado is something we love. Applicable age range varies widely - some of the simulations are understandable at an elem level while others are geared more toward middle sch or high sch comprehension level:

http://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulations/category/new