Menu

Yet another food thread. Lesser of two evils?

amo_mea_filiis.

I NEED to wean myself off the French vanilla creamer I use. I only have two (large) cups of coffee a day, but seriously I have a little coffee with my creamer! I measured this morning. Not cool.

It's going to take a while to get off this stuff.

Should I continue using the regular fv creamer, or switch to the sugar free one?

Regular has 6g carbs/sugar. Sugar free has 1g carb, no sugar. I don't have the ingredients in front of me but i assume the sugar free may have more crap in it to make up for the lack of sugar. This is why I'm asking.

What say the hive?

It doesn't take long to appreciate good coffee without sugar. A few years ago, a coffee snob told me I was masking true coffee flavor by adding sugar. One day I stopped adding it, and never went back. I don't miss it at all. I do add a little cream. And I don't believe that to be unhealthy!

Guest submarines

It doesn't take long oto appreciate good coffee without sugar. A few years ago, a coffee snob told me I was masking true coffee flavor by adding sugar. One day I stopped adding it, and never went back. I don't miss it at all. I do add a little cream.

:iagree: Same here. If I feel I want something sweet, I have some nice dark chocolate with my coffee. :drool5:

Here's the sugar free ingredients: Water, Palm Oil, Corn Syrup**, Contains 2% or less of Each of the Following Ingredients: Maltodextrin, Sodium Caseinate* (A Milk Derivative), Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Mono and Diglycerides, Polysorbate 60, Carrageenan, Sucralose, Cellulose Gel, Cellulose Gum. Acesulfame Potassium, Natural and Artificial Flavors.

Regular: Non-dairy Product Ingredients: Water, Sugar, Palm Oil, Corn Syrup, Contains 2% or less of the Following: Sodium Caseinate* (A Milk Derivative), Dipotassium Phosphate, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Mono and Diglycerides, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Carrageenan, Salt. *Sodium Caseinate is not A Source of Lactose.

I make instant coffee with half water and half skim milk. I used to add a little natural sugar, but gradually phased that out. Milk has its own sugar in it.

For a special treat, add a little cocoa, salt, and possibly whipped cream.

I just use regular vanilla extract (or peppermint, but there are other flavors too). I get the liquid stevia (SteviaClear brand, I think) from amazon; they have flavored stevia, but I found that the flavor is so subtle that I have to use a lot of it. Liquid stevia is kind of expensive, but you only need a few drops, so it lasts for a long time.

I would probably get a vanilla coffee, or just add a drop of vanilla extract to your coffee along with as little half and half and sugar as you can tolerate. For me, I've found that because we usually do a bold coffee, I'm good with 4 tbsp half and half and 1 tsp sugar in my 12 oz. coffee, which gives me a 100 calorie cuppa.

Try just mix half and half with a little bit of good vanilla. If you can afford it, Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla is a very fine choice. Don't sweeten it. Add a tiny little bit of honey to your coffee and then the cream. The honey will melt right in and it's a lot healthier. Being very sweet, you need very, very little, and it has nice anti-viral, anti-bacterial qualities which are good for your stomach lining. The added benefit is that for most people, a small serving of honey like this (if you have one of those wooden honey servers that is "threaded" (like a screw) and use that to do a little drizzle) will not significantly raise blood sugar in the same way that fructose, dextrose, and sucrose does.

It may take a couple of days to adjust. But, once you do, after that, the other stuff really doesn't taste all that great...it's too artificial in flavor.

Faith

I'd take real sugar over fake sugar any day. Have you considered making your own? It's pretty easy. All you need is a carton of half and half, sugar, and vanilla.

I just this week switched over to this recipe. The real sugar is better for me than all the other chemicals in the creamer. It takes a little experimentation to find the correct ratios of sugar to vanilla to half and half but it is working just fine.

P.S. I too have a little coffee with my creamer. ;)

I am with you, WendyK, it tastes bitter to me too. Are you a supertaster? I know I am. But then I am also one of the approximately 30% of the population who can't stand cilantro because of the soapy taste. They have found a genetic reason for that- the people who can taste the soapiness have stronger smell receptors and can really smell the soap. Most people don;t have that and so they can eat cilantro. Well, I guess I could eat it just the same way I could, potentially, eat soap but I would never choose to do so voluntarily.

To the Op, I always use Half and half. That is less fattening than heavy cream but has more fat than regular milk. I find that I use a lof less fo the half and half then I have to use of the fake stuff (which I only use in places where there is no half and half, and I actually don't go back to hotels which don't have real half and half versus the fake stuff). The fake stuff takes a lot more (and probably more calories) because it works differently and to reduce the bitterness of coffee, it just doesn't do as good a job. I also find that using the real half and half ends up taking less sugar than with the fake stuff.

I don't know if I'm a super taster, but I don't like cilantro for the same reason. It tastes soapy.

I don't mind bitter as a taste, but it depends on what it is. Like the bitter in some vegetables doesn't bother me, but the bitterness in Stevia I find pretty putrid.

My husband doesn't care for stevia at all, and he's given it a good, fair shake. He doesn't like the licorice-y aftertaste, but he also hates licorice (and anise as well). I like them and don't mind stevia.