Menu

Looking for Horse movies

Are their any good movies with horses in them for children? I know of older movies: Black Beauty, Story of Seabiscuit, National Velvet and International Velvet. Then their is a cartoon called Spirit. Are any of these good and/or are their other movies with horses in them that are better/or just as good. Thanks!

Are their any good movies with horses in them for children? I know of older movies: Black Beauty, Story of Seabiscuit, National Velvet and International Velvet. Then their is a cartoon called Spirit. Are any of these good and/or are their other movies with horses in them that are better/or just as good. Thanks!

There's an 1960's movie put out by Disney called "The Miracle of the White Stallions" or "The Flight of the White Stallions" about the efforts in WWII to save the Lipizzaner horses (based in Vienna) from being destroyed during the war.

" My Friend Flicka", there's one from the 60's with Roddy McDowell and a newer one with a girl, may be just "Flicka"

"The Black Stallion" based on the Walter Farley books

Here's a list that someone put together on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/The-Best-Horse-Movies/lm/17BT6SYNEL702

and a more extensive one here

http://www.rinkworks.com/movies/i/g_horse.shtml

Not sure why Wind in the Willows is listed as a horse movie, however.

I haven't seen all the films in either list, so don't know how they stack up relative to each other or for which age groups they are appropriate. I need to check them out as my almost 8 yo daughter is a horse fanatic.:)

Just saw that you have a 6yo---so far we have watched Flicka, The Black Stallion, Spirit, The Flight of the White Stallions, at least one version of Black Beauty (can't remember which one), National Velvet (the older one), at least those are the ones I remember.

Spirit is a long-time favorite for us. We wore out our VHS and got it on DVD. Dreamer is also good.

I don't recommend Flicka (the newer version with Tim McGraw). The entire story revolves around a young teen disobeying and lying to her father, and getting away with/rewarded for it.

National Velvet is pretty good (as long as you don't expect it to follow the book too closely, lol). International Velvet is ok, although there is a scene where a horse has to be put down because it panics while being shipped in an airplane. :-(

There's My Friend Flicka, Thunderhead, and the Green Grass of Wyoming; Misty of Chincoteague; Miracle of the White Stallions; Tonka (which was a Disney movie and might not be available); Stormy the Thoroughbred (ditto); and the Black Stallion (intense scene of the shipwreck).

I strongly recommend Black Stallion, the original My Friend Flicka with my childhood crush Roddy McDowell....also Dreamer is recent, with little whatshername the excellent kid actress....I truly am blanking out on her name!!!

Note - beginning of Black Stallion there is a ship fire and the dad dies (off screen but it is sad) and Spirit has animated horse birth in the beginning. Just a heads up on those.

Dakota Fanning! That's the kid! I had to go look up the film at IMDb.

We've always enjoyed Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken. It's set during the depression and is about a girl who is blinded while riding diving horses and her learning how to keep performing despite her blindness.
I was surprised how much we liked this. From the description I'd expected it to be cloying at best, drivel at worst.

Moondance Alexander is really cute. Sappy but cute. Very safe. Also a Hallmark movie called The Long Shot. My daughter has watched it over and over and over again and when I watch it with her I always cry! It's a great mom/daughter movie to watch! I also think it's very safe.