Menu

Local Elementary School supply list...ummm...

My sister is a teacher in a very poor area--she spends, on average, at least $40 a week buying supplies, from tissues, paper, pencils, etc, for the kids after November, when the school runs out of supplies and the parents don't send in stuff. You are not allowed to hound the parents that don't send in stuff (and wouldn't want to, in case they can't afford it), and the school will not give you stuff once their supplies are gone, so it is, you buy it, or the kids do without. Oh, and lots of kids take home the pencils and stuff, because they don't have them at home, or they just don't return them. You can't watch and chase down 30 kids. You don't put your name on them because they all share them, instead of each one fighting over them each day.

My sister also buys the kids lunch, drinks and snacks when they don't have it, because the school does not do it. If they are not on assisted lunch, the lunchroom will not provide it if they don't have the money. She chose this area because she teaches special ed, and is highly trained--she knew she could do the most good there. She travels 1 & 1/2 hours each way every day, and w/gas costs, it is killing her. Then she pays for all this. They have added a ton of work, because for years she has had to create SOL's for each child herself, she has so little take home with gas and supplies, and she is finally, after 14 years, experiencing major burnout, so this year she is teaching science and math special ed in the high school, instead of autistic--major loss to the school, but she was afraid she just wouldn't stay at all if she continued. And she still knows she'll have to pay for supplies again this year.

Really pay for their lunch??? That is terrible my sister runs a lunch room and I was told that public school must feed the children lunch everyday by law. She told me if the children were not on assisted lunch program they still had to give them a peanutbutter sandwich, piece of fruit, and box milk. Are the laws different for every state?

Well I have one in public school and I volunteer at the school alot, last year I logged in several hundred volunteer hours. I know for a fact in our school, if something is left on the floor (markers, scissors, pencils) it is swept up and thrown away. I talked to the janitor about this and it is school policy, they don't have time to pick this stuff up off floor so it is trashed. Yikes, I hate seeing full glue bottles, nice scissors, protractors etc just straight to the trash bin.

I hate the "community" supplies and complain but I also go ahead and put my daughters name on everything in big capital letters and they let her keep her own stuff. I have made it clear I don't want her to share, because I don't want her to get the extra yucky germs that come along with 30 kids sharing one pencil..yuck!

I know, you are wondering "well why do you put her in public school?", I do because it works best for her, but the school supply list drive me bonkers.

My sister is a teacher in a very poor area--she spends, on average, at least $40 a week buying supplies, from tissues, paper, pencils, etc, for the kids after November, when the school runs out of supplies and the parents don't send in stuff. You are not allowed to hound the parents that don't send in stuff (and wouldn't want to, in case they can't afford it), and the school will not give you stuff once their supplies are gone, so it is, you buy it, or the kids do without. Oh, and lots of kids take home the pencils and stuff, because they don't have them at home, or they just don't return them. You can't watch and chase down 30 kids. You don't put your name on them because they all share them, instead of each one fighting over them each day.

My sister also buys the kids lunch, drinks and snacks when they don't have it, because the school does not do it. If they are not on assisted lunch, the lunchroom will not provide it if they don't have the money. She chose this area because she teaches special ed, and is highly trained--she knew she could do the most good there. She travels 1 & 1/2 hours each way every day, and w/gas costs, it is killing her. Then she pays for all this. They have added a ton of work, because for years she has had to create SOL's for each child herself, she has so little take home with gas and supplies, and she is finally, after 14 years, experiencing major burnout, so this year she is teaching science and math special ed in the high school, instead of autistic--major loss to the school, but she was afraid she just wouldn't stay at all if she continued. And she still knows she'll have to pay for supplies again this year.

To me that's a prime example of why she should NOT buy those things. Everytime she does it, it's basicly covering up a huge problem and leaving it untreated and no one deals with it. If the school won't pay for it, she should go to the local tv/radio station and say, "My class does not have basic educational supplies because parents can't afford it and my school refuses to supply it. The citizens in this county need to step up and so does the school. Teachers don't make enough to provide educational supplies for 30 students 180 day a year."

It's also a prime example of teacher's unions not doing their job. No teachers union should allow teachers to go unreimbursed for purchasing items that are required part of the job.

Please don't get me wrong. I think there are many great and kind teachers out there, like your sister, but the system is keeping them from doing their job properly and they shouldn't enable the system to continue to do that.

It's sad, but true, that change simple will not happen until someone's kid suffers for it.:grouphug:

Really pay for their lunch??? That is terrible my sister runs a lunch room and I was told that public school must feed the children lunch everyday by law. She told me if the children were not on assisted lunch program they still had to give them a peanutbutter sandwich, piece of fruit, and box milk. Are the laws different for every state?

Yes. I missed lunch almost every day in elementary school, but that was a couple decades ago. Now, I don't know how it is here.

None of my kids have ever gone to ps, so I didn't realize this was how it was done. $92 as an estimate for school supplies???

I remember needing some pencils, notebook paper, crayons, scissors, a couple of pens and kleenex. Buying school supplies was never a hardship.

It is crazy for evey parent to be required to spend so much money. :confused:

I've had kids in ps here in Vermont and in Rhode Island. We've never had a school supply list until this year. (The middle school sends a list.)

Sometimes the teachers send home a list of things they could use. I try to send in boxes of tissue and cough drops in the winter, because I know the kids (mine included!) use lots of those during cold season.

My seventh grader's list seems reasonable to me: three 2" three-ring binders; 4 sets of dividers; white lined paper (no amount specified); "plenty" of pens, pencils, and erasers; a box of colored pencils; a set of highlighters; a dictionary, compass, protractor, metric ruler and calculator for home use, and gym clothes.

i truly do not understand the argument that some families cannot afford back to school supplies. the basics go on sale every year for dirt cheap. crayons are 0.22 a box right now at walmart. i bought a case of notebook paper three years ago, it was on sale for 0.10/pack. last year at staples we got protractors, compasses, and packs of pencils for 0.01 each. now, i know not everyone can run all over to these sales, but even if you just hit walmart it seriously is not very expensive (backpacks aside of course).

we donated two new backpacks FULL of school supplies this year for under 40.00.

i was a single mom for a few years so i know what it's like when money is tight, but these are just things that you take care of, kwim?

I was at Dollar Tree on Sunday and was asked if I wanted to donate a dollar to buy school supplies for the kids in the district. I said yes, then got to pick what I wanted. I chose pencils. They grabbed a pack from a basket at the register, wrote "paid" on it and placed it in the "paid for" basket. It was all very interesting to me. I'd never seen that before.

After that I was at Wal Mart picking up supplies and found these new handy-dandy packs called the "School List Solution". It had a ruler, pencil cap erasers, a large eraser, sharpener, scissors, and a stick of glue. I kinda chuckled because I've seen those supply lists and no way would this pack cover that list, however it sure was the ticket for us!:lol:

Oh yes - the weirdest thing I've seen on a list (my hs'er was in ps for 5 years before we took her out and my other child still is, so I've seen lots of lists) was tennis balls. Yep. They cut them and put them on the legs of the desks/chairs so they didn't scratch the floor. Funniest looking thing I'd ever seen. ;)

That's what I've seen them used for too but rather to cut down on noise as the kids move their chairs. When my DS was in PS he was thrilled when the half-cut tennis balls went on the chair legs. He has auditory processing disorder and he claims that noise, some noises in particular, really cause his head to hurt. He equates these noises to fingernails being scratched across the chalkboard.

But why do they need new tennis balls every year?

Carole

I know for a fact in our school, if something is left on the floor (markers, scissors, pencils) it is swept up and thrown away. I talked to the janitor about this and it is school policy, they don't have time to pick this stuff up off floor so it is trashed. Yikes, I hate seeing full glue bottles, nice scissors, protractors etc just straight to the trash bin.

:svengo:

Having gone to elementary school in 2 countries, here's what I have to say.

When I was a child in BC it was NORMAL to buy your own school supplies. You were supposed to put your name on everything and you kept them in your desk--remember those old desks with the lids on them? When we moved to CA for Gr. 4, I was shocked to find out that they were all supplied at the school.

What really, really irks me is that teachers here have to buy supplies themselves. This just doesn't sit right with me. Nor does it sit right to me to have kids buy it themselves, NOT label it and then put it into a community pot. Either they're paid for by the taxes that pay for the schools, or kids that buy their own use what they bring it. Not sure about the kids that can't afford it, but I think something could be worked out.

Also, the hand sanitizer & wipes gets my goat. There is supposed to be soap in the schools, IMO. Plus, if you have your own supplies & desk, there isn't nearly as much germ swapping going on because you're handling your own stuff most of the day. But then, ps in general gets my goat so this is the ranting of a woman who has had less than a stellar day with serious issues with the ps system in general!

1. Does anyone remember this story that was in the news a few years ago? A boy from a very poor family came to school with all the requested supplies- and his family was POOR but they bought ALL the supplies, maybe extra or better, I can't remember. Anyway, this is a kid whose family cares about his education, and he understands the value of these supplies.... on the first day, the supplies get dumped in the community pot, to be used by kids whose parents didn't bother to send even pencils or anything, kids who don't bother to take care of their things.... I think the news story described this sad boy watching his new supplies getting picked over by the other kids- I think lots of people who saw the story sent him new stuff!

2. Hand sanitizer... Unfortunately lots of kids are not taught to wash their hands- even after using the bathroom. Or they don't wash properly- just a quick rinse.

Please do not label any of the items with your name.

Hmmm.... THIS "request" makes me wonder. Why NOT label what YOU buy with YOUR child's name? Why do the teachers say "do not label any of the items with your name?" Do they really put it all into a community pot? do they expect the conscientious parents to purchase items for other, um, non-conscientious parents' children?

If I had my children in public school, and they came home with a list like this, I would possibly purchase these items, and LABEL EVERYTHING. Yes, I am that sort of person. A rebel.

Good thing we plan to homeschool. These sorts of lists, along with the summer homework packets, drive my sister crazy!

Every year, My DC (who have always been homeschooled,) buy everything on the school district's list and put it in a new backpack to donate. It's actually a church project. There are so many families here that can't afford to buy new stuff every year. My DC look forward to this every summer. The school district seems to know which kids will need the donated stuff, and they're so happy to get them. It was pretty expensive this year!

As far as the tissues go, here in Tx, it's state law that there have to be tissues *in* the classroom during TAKS testing. But guess what? The schools won't buy them. The *teachers* are responsible for making sure their classrooms are "ready"--from taking down posters to BUYING tissue.

I'm a rebel, too. I went to the bathroom, got a roll of TP, & put it where the tissue might have gone. And locked up my personal supply.

I asked my kids to bring in one folder & a box of tissues at the beginning of the yr. I had over 200 students & got 2 boxes of tissue. ALL. year. long. kids would come to my desk asking for tissue. I just told them they hadn't brought any; these weren't theirs. Period. I taught highschool, fwiw, so there wasn't anything too harsh about it.

I'm sick of schools saving $ by putting financial responsibility on the backs of the teachers, but more than that, I'm tired of teachers taking it. Thinking that they have to. Of course you don't. Think for yourself!

The yr I was teaching & had to buy *all* my supplies myself--some teachers even paid for their own copies when the machines in the lounge broke (we weren't allowed to use the other ones)--dh started working in the "real world." He was given a catalog to order the supplies he needed. Ergonomic mouse? No problem. Inbox? Sure. Whatever. And he was the lowest man on the totem pole at that SMALL co.

Anyway, I was a nonconformist. I wasn't too popular. :001_huh: :D

throughout U.S. school districts. (link: http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/education/011747.html). These are 4/1/08 statistics.

And that's not enough to buy these supplies!!!!!?????

I do it all INCLUDING the supplies for TWO children for about $700 per year! (I realize they're including have building maintenance, salaries, etc., in their figure, but still...)

And DH complains about $500/yr. :lol:

As far as the tissues go, here in Tx, it's state law that there have to be tissues *in* the classroom during TAKS testing. But guess what? The schools won't buy them. The *teachers* are responsible for making sure their classrooms are "ready"--from taking down posters to BUYING tissue.

I'm a rebel, too. I went to the bathroom, got a roll of TP, & put it where the tissue might have gone. And locked up my personal supply.

I asked my kids to bring in one folder & a box of tissues at the beginning of the yr. I had over 200 students & got 2 boxes of tissue. ALL. year. long. kids would come to my desk asking for tissue. I just told them they hadn't brought any; these weren't theirs. Period. I taught highschool, fwiw, so there wasn't anything too harsh about it.

I'm sick of schools saving $ by putting financial responsibility on the backs of the teachers, but more than that, I'm tired of teachers taking it. Thinking that they have to. Of course you don't. Think for yourself!

The yr I was teaching & had to buy *all* my supplies myself--some teachers even paid for their own copies when the machines in the lounge broke (we weren't allowed to use the other ones)--dh started working in the "real world." He was given a catalog to order the supplies he needed. Ergonomic mouse? No problem. Inbox? Sure. Whatever. And he was the lowest man on the totem pole at that SMALL co.

Anyway, I was a nonconformist. I wasn't too popular. :001_huh: :D

:thumbup::cheers2::hurray:

Good for you. If all teachers did that, then no teacher would feel like they HAVE to do it and schools would have to step up. And frankly, I don't think it's harsh of elementary teachers either. I might suggest the kid go down to the restroom for some tissue, but if they don't bring it and school doesn't provide it = do without. Sounds like basic common sense to me. There is no crayon or tissue fairy in my house, so I see no reason why people think there's one at the schools either.

I just found the supply list for dd's school, IF she were to go. 24 sharpened pencils, 8 pack of markers (which I first read as 8 packS of markers!) 2 large pink erasers, 3 packs of 24 crayons, 10-12 large BRAND name glue sticks, 1 pair pointed fiskars, 1 spiral notebook, 4 2 pocket folders, NO clasps, 1 small plastic school box, 1 large box of tissues, large old shirt for art, and OPTIONAL ROOM DONATION: Ream of Copying Paper. Oh, and No rolling book bags as they will not fit into the cubbies.

The lists are most interesting. For 6th grade, Last Name ending in: A_G, 1 bag of jolly ranchers, smarties, dum-dum suckers, or peppermints. H_Q, 1 pack colored .5" pony beads, R_Z, 1 gal/1 qt ziplock bags. And every grade asks for the optional donation of copying paper.

The 1st grade list doens't seem particularly expensive, and it does NOT say NO NAME on the stuff.

My sister also buys the kids lunch, drinks and snacks when they don't have it, because the school does not do it. If they are not on assisted lunch, the lunchroom will not provide it if they don't have the money.

You know, what if the school just started calling CPS on these kids' parents? For neglect. I mean, can you IMAGINE not. feeding. your. child???

If it turns out the family qualifies for free lunches, fine. CPS can help them sign up for that. But imo, it's the parents, not the schools, that need to be called on the carpet for this.

And it's ABSOLUTELY unfair to put people like your sis in a situation like this. Sure, her kindness is enabling those parents, but I completely understand that she doesn't want the KIDS to pay the price. Society should HELP her.

:smash::leaving:

:thumbup::cheers2::hurray:

Good for you. If all teachers did that, then no teacher would feel like they HAVE to do it and schools would have to step up. And frankly, I don't think it's harsh of elementary teachers either. I might suggest the kid go down to the restroom for some tissue, but if they don't bring it and school doesn't provide it = do without. Sounds like basic common sense to me. There is no crayon or tissue fairy in my house, so I see no reason why people think there's one at the schools either.

Well...thanks...but...I didn't send them down to the restroom often. And when I did, they had 60 seconds to get back. But in my defense, they were wearing ankle bracelets so their parole officers could keep track of them. In & out of the classroom was something to be avoided.

I *did* offer to sell tissues to them. They had enough cola & drug $ to cover the cost. They chose to use their sleeves. :001_huh:

I just found the supply list for dd's school, IF she were to go. 24 sharpened pencils, 8 pack of markers (which I first read as 8 packS of markers!) 2 large pink erasers, 3 packs of 24 crayons, 10-12 large BRAND name glue sticks, 1 pair pointed fiskars, 1 spiral notebook, 4 2 pocket folders, NO clasps, 1 small plastic school box, 1 large box of tissues, large old shirt for art, and OPTIONAL ROOM DONATION: Ream of Copying Paper. Oh, and No rolling book bags as they will not fit into the cubbies.

The lists are most interesting. For 6th grade, Last Name ending in: A_G, 1 bag of jolly ranchers, smarties, dum-dum suckers, or peppermints. H_Q, 1 pack colored .5" pony beads, R_Z, 1 gal/1 qt ziplock bags. And every grade asks for the optional donation of copying paper.

The 1st grade list doens't seem particularly expensive, and it does NOT say NO NAME on the stuff.

Ok, then I'm putting my name on the jolly ranchers! :lol:

The whole idea of having community supplies in a classroom is just ridiculous in my opinion.

Back in my school days, we were responsible for bringing our supplies, keeping them in our desks, and taking care of them. If we ran out of something, it was our responsibility to either bring in a replacement or buy it from the school bookstore. If we wanted to have nice scissors and big boxes of crayons, that was our business. If little Johnny was careless and lost supplies, then it's little Johnny's problem.

If you only had money for one pencil and an 8-pack of crayons, then that's what you brought. End of story.

I just found the supply list for dd's school...

And every grade asks for the optional donation of copying paper.

LOL I had to go look up our district's elementary supply lists, and lo! Each child in each grade is required to bring two reams of copy paper...even the pre-kindergarteners! :glare:

Oh, and the #2 wood pencils requested are "American made." :confused: So the Ticonderogas are out, I guess. :tongue_smilie: But, hey: Klennex (sic) is in! :lol:

First of all I'm just insanely happy to find out we are not the only house that has pencils eaten by the great beyond and a regular, daily basis! So often, several times a week we take out the pencil cup only to find it empty. Each and every time it's Mr. Nobody who, apparently, took the pencils out and didn't put them back. In spite of the fact I tell him NOT to use these pencils, ever. The second strange part of the story is that I never seem to locate or come across stray pencils here and there. They really do seem to have moved on to the great beyond. Amazing!

We've never experienced the school systems but I always stop and read the supply lists at WalMart every year because I marvel at how drastically different the content is from years ago when I bought my school supply list. I would have hated to have my stuff go into a community pile. I remember being so proud of my new school supplies. :)

I too love the smell of a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils. ;)

I just found the supply list for dd's school, IF she were to go. 24 sharpened pencils, 8 pack of markers (which I first read as 8 packS of markers!) 2 large pink erasers, 3 packs of 24 crayons, 10-12 large BRAND name glue sticks, .

I am surprised the schools want so many glue sticks. If each child brings 10 large glue sticks, then that would mean they were using them at the rate of one a month. That's a whole lotta glue! Even if they think only half the kids are actually going to buy the supplies, that's still a whole lotta glue! What on earth are they doing with all that glue??? I'm going to have to go get a supply list for our district tomorrow. I'm really curious to know what they require.

Okay, I just found the supply lists online and am greatly relieved to see that each of my boys would only be required to bring two glue sticks.;)

However, in addition to the LONG list of supplies, they would each have to pay a $45 supply fee!:eek: Maybe that is to buy more glue sticks?:lol:

I used to teach in the public schools. I can understand having "community supplies" for K or maybe 1st, but beyond that, they need to be responsible for their own stuff. The only things that went for community in my classroom were tissues, and baby wipes. They labeled everything, and if they didn't label it, it wasn't likely to be returned to them. If they didn't have a certain item, they got to beg a friend, or tell their parents. Everyone brought supplies. Everyone.

I remember the pencil situation in my room. Of course there were tons of kids who took great care of their stuff. Then there were those who didn't care when their pencils were on the floor. So, if a pencil was on the floor, I picked it up, and added it to the can on my desk. I had a pencil monitor who sharpened the whole can at recess and lunch. I hate the noise of the pencil sharpener, times 35 students can be crazy-making. So, the kids were told that they had to have 3 sharp pencils, and if they broke all their pencils and needed one, they could get one from my box, but they had to trade it for a pencil from their desk that needed sharpening. They hated to trade, because the ones on my desk were chewed, short, or otherwise not desireable. They were allowed to sharpen their pencils during recess or lunch. After a few weeks, almost no-one was foolish with their pencils. The system worked like a charm. :tongue_smilie:

My kids love sharpening pencils at home. I throw out pencils that are less than half the original length, because it causes them to hold the pencil poorly, and practice bad writing habits. We go through a lot of pencils, but probably not more than 50 a year, with 5 kids. We also use the pencil top erasers. They break a lot. Split around the seam. What's up with that? :confused:

And, don't get me started on mechanical pencils. Click, click, click, break, click, click, click, break. We'll try those again in a couple years. :lol:

What happens to you if you DON'T bring the supplies? A note home from the principal, your child doesn't get to use the community glue stick?

My mom always bought the mini packs of Kleenex instead of the full box, even when "large box" was put on the list. I guess it was her own form of anarchy.

:iagree: Our school supply lists locally say, "Estimated cost $92." I'm sure this is a lot for many people.

True. That's about what my friend in MA spends per child. And she says that it goes up every year because they start to need more expensive items. Her oldest is going into 7th, so we'll see what it costs.

A couple of years ago I watched a woman struggle mightily in Walmart as she looked at the lists for her two girls. She just couldn't afford to buy everything. Eventually she told the girls she'd take them to the dollar store and I remember thinking that whatever she bought there would be trashed by Christmas and then she'd need to buy more because the cheap stuff just doesn't hold up as well.

I just felt really bad for that woman because that school supply list was clearly a hardship for her.

It's all very embarassing and pathetic, really. A nation that attests to be a guiding light in the world. A country that spends close to five figures a year per public-schooled student. And for what? Classrooms that apparently lack the most basic of necessities ~ paper, for example. What a sad state of affairs.

i truly do not understand the argument that some families cannot afford back to school supplies. the basics go on sale every year for dirt cheap. crayons are 0.22 a box right now at walmart. i bought a case of notebook paper three years ago, it was on sale for 0.10/pack. last year at staples we got protractors, compasses, and packs of pencils for 0.01 each. now, i know not everyone can run all over to these sales, but even if you just hit walmart it seriously is not very expensive (backpacks aside of course).

we donated two new backpacks FULL of school supplies this year for under 40.00.

i was a single mom for a few years so i know what it's like when money is tight, but these are just things that you take care of, kwim?

K, I don't know where you live, but I have *never* seen those sorts of crazy low prices on anything here. :)

(Sure, the odd box of crayons at Zellers gets marked for 99 cents - but those are usually the crayons that barely make any marks, break, and you have to buy MORE of them later. Protrators, compasses, pencils for a penny?????? Wow.)

For several years when dd11 and ds9 were in PS (dd11 is hs'ed now), we had to go through the program at the Y here where you could get your school supplies, because we just could. not. afford to buy everything that was on the lists.

Whether you 'understand' the argument or not doesn't make a whole lot of difference to those who have not been able to afford the supplies. If you're lucky to live in an area where there are sales like that, great. Not everyone does -- and even your "under $40" backpacks of supplies may be difficult for some families to come up with.

I guess I just don't think it's fair to judge people just because *you* happened to get by when you had less income. I *am* glad you did get by - seriously. I know how much it can suck. ;)

And thank you for donating those backpacks - as a family who's been on the receiving end in the past, it's truly a blessing.

The teachers' are probably hoping that they won't have to buy the kids supplies out of their own pockets. When I was teaching, I always bought at least ten of the kids in my class all of their supplies. They would come in the first day with nothing. Not even a backpack. It is because of these kids that you send the stuff without names and labels. It makes it less obvious who has crappy parents!

That was 11 years ago, so it is probably worse now.

I spent around $150 a year on school supplies for the kids in my class. Maybe if half the people actually get this stuff, it will be enough.

This is exactly why I've always sent in more than requested. I mean when glue is .20 per bottle I can certainly afford to send in 10 bottles instead of the requested 2. Dd5's list wasn't bad, but we haven't received the list from her teacher yet... we won't even know who her teacher is for another week. Ahhhhhh... I hate the waiting!

My Grandma worked for one of the local school districts, in administration. She was known to be the one who knew all the regulations.

At that time (mid-to-late-60s), it was illegal for a public school to require a student to supply any of his own school supplies. The schools even had to make pencils and notebook paper available to the student. It wasn't a well-known rule, and parents and students still went thru the back-to-school shopping ritual, but there weren't the published lists like there are now.

I remember a couple of years ago running into a neighbor Mom at Wal-Mart. She said that her son would get extra credit points to start the school year by bringing in items from the list. And he was in high school!!

First of all I'm just insanely happy to find out we are not the only house that has pencils eaten by the great beyond and a regular, daily basis!

Ours don't just disappear, I have some who take not only the little erasers out, but also the metal eraser holders & then sharpens both ends. But not with the official pencil sharpener dh bought me for my birthday (not kidding--so he's getting an outdoor thermometer;) What goes around comes around. I do love him, he's just very, very practical.

You love the smell of freshly sharpened pencils, but I used to love the smell of newly dittoed pages. That ink just smelled wonderful. We also used paste. I never ate it, but had friends who did.

K, I don't know where you live, but I have *never* seen those sorts of crazy low prices on anything here. :)

(Sure, the odd box of crayons at Zellers gets marked for 99 cents - but those are usually the crayons that barely make any marks, break, and you have to buy MORE of them later. Protrators, compasses, pencils for a penny?????? Wow.)

Staples, Office Depot, and Office Max have run crazy sale prices on school supplies in the weeks preceding the start of school. Of course, you have to live near them to take advantage of the prices. But, yes the .01 and .10 prices on some things is pretty common in July and August.

Well, I would say it is because things like paper and pencils are not romantic enough to get a line in the school budget. In dh's school when he was teaching, there was a ton of money for technology and special training for teachers and very little for the actual materials to use to teach. It infuriated me. (Of course, in his school, no child brought in school supplies, so we bought them all each year.) The reason many teachers ask for so much is the fact that only half of the kiddos will actually bring anything in, I woud bet.