Menu

Math program needed for student desperately behind in skills

Advice please! A friend's daughter, former ps, is now at home. This child is almost 14, but her math skills are quite behind. She struggles with subtraction, knows no multiplication facts, and is supposed to be preparing for 9th grade this fall. Is there some program she can use with her to catch her up and help her succeed? Thank you for any advice I can share.

Advice please! A friend's daughter, former ps, is now at home. This child is almost 14, but her math skills are quite behind. She struggles with subtraction, knows no multiplication facts, and is supposed to be preparing for 9th grade this fall. Is there some program she can use with her to catch her up and help her succeed? Thank you for any advice I can share.

I was in a similar situation with my dd at the beginning of this year -- 1st year hsing after ps with Everyday Math. My dd is a bit younger and perhaps not quite so behind in math, but what has worked for us is using Miquon Math as our primary program. My dd could do a lot of the calculations, but had very little conceptual understanding and weak mental math skills. Miquon has helped with both.

Even though Miquon is designed for early elementary, there is very little text, mainly math problems, so it doesn't scream 'juvenile.' Of course, a lot depends on why your friend's dd is so far behind. In your position, I would actually want some background before recommending a program. My dd has a remarkable visual memory, which is one reason I chose Miquon -- the cuisenaire rods help her make a mental picture of the math. Another reason I chose Miquon -- going back to square one, so to speak -- was that I wanted as strong a foundation as possible for future math, even if it meant re-learning some very fundamental concepts. We are not rushing. But, obviously, what works for us might nt work for your friend's dd.

We also use SM, a bit of MM, SM supplements such as the Visual Thinking series, plus math games. For drill, we have XtraMath & TimezAttack. We just got IXL -- good for homework assignments. Oh, I also keep a copy of Common Core on my iPad and annotate as we go along -- I find this to be a help since we are using multiple programs.

ETA It would make a big difference if dd didn't learn because she had horrible teachers or was bullied or the school was downright dangerous versus not learning because of a very real disability. There are programs, such as Stern Math or Touch Math, designed for special needs.

I would be inclined to start with something that's intended for middle/high school students who are behind. One option that's readily available to homeschoolers would be the Math Power Basics -- doing the Basic Math book. Here's the link to it at rainbow resource, where it's about $40. http://www.rainbowre...c Single/041171

You can see the samples there too, but it starts with addition and subtraction, assuming no real background. It does move at a fairly rapid pace because it assumes the student is older. If she needs more practice on a specific topic, worksheets can be found, but this is a fairly decent scope/sequence.

If she makes it through this book with understanding, she should be ready for pre-algebra. I would emphasize that I would take as long as necessary to *finish the book with understanding*.

Thanks to all of you. She has told me that her dd is quite embarrassed but now is just 'turning off' to math because she sees it as too far to catch up to grade level. I know they have moved several times, so maybe new surroundings/new teachers/new math books played a part. I do not know about any suspected learning disabilities. I am giving her all the info you've shared. Many thanks.

Thanks to all of you. She has told me that her dd is quite embarrassed but now is just 'turning off' to math because she sees it as too far to catch up to grade level. I know they have moved several times, so maybe new surroundings/new teachers/new math books played a part. I do not know about any suspected learning disabilities. I am giving her all the info you've shared. Many thanks.

My suggestions would not be applicable then. The programs we use would be too basic and would embarrass dd further!!

But you have received some other suggestions that sound very good.

I've been using Mastering Essential Math Skills by Richard Fisher, along with working on facts separately with ALEKS Quick Tables and I may have her try xtra math too.. It moves fast, but doesn't take a lot of time each day..the bit of repetition and practice is just about perfect for us, and it doesn't talk down and really seems to be working - she's retaining stuff....my learner is almost 14, and shut down too, but this she tolerates. We work through the sample problems together, and then I stay right there and tell her that if she isn't understanding something, we can work through more problems together, and I don't care if we do all of the problems together if that's what she needs.... I've also pulled up a Khan video or two for reinforcement on whatever we're doing. I've been using book 1 rather than book 2, but they essentially cover the same stuff, just book 2 is a bit more complex in the problems - but follows the same introduction of skills and the exact same format. If I feel she needs it, we may go and do book 2 when we're done..that was my original plan (I have both books and she needed a lot of remediation), but now that we are 2/3 of the way through book 1, I think we'll be ok moving into a pre-algebra or Bilal's College Math...if we could only get her FACTS down! Yikes. That's ongoing. My 11 yo is not as far behind, but she's is also doing the book with us, and I think by the time she's done, she'll be up to grade level...

I would be inclined to start with something that's intended for middle/high school students who are behind. One option that's readily available to homeschoolers would be the Math Power Basics -- doing the Basic Math book. Here's the link to it at rainbow resource, where it's about $40. http://www.rainbowre...c Single/041171

You can see the samples there too, but it starts with addition and subtraction, assuming no real background. It does move at a fairly rapid pace because it assumes the student is older. If she needs more practice on a specific topic, worksheets can be found, but this is a fairly decent scope/sequence.

If she makes it through this book with understanding, she should be ready for pre-algebra. I would emphasize that I would take as long as necessary to *finish the book with understanding*.

I wish I'd known about this! I used Math Mammoth blue series (with the light blue series for extra practice) to help a 16yo cover arithmetic so she could move on to pre-Algebra. It was OK but I think Math Power Basics would have been perfect.

Several years ago a friend ran a pilot program with teenagers who were many years behind in math. He used a computerized curriculum ( never published state sponsored ) and all the students made great strides. Many reaching grade level within the year. I would look at something on the computer. Maybe something like khan academy with the mapping function.

Another idea that came to mind is Professor B. I had the privilege of talking to the author a few times and he loved to use his program as a seminar to greatly improve math ability. I have only used his books but there is a computer option that might be more appropriate.

JUMP Math might work well --- and the price is right, since it's free online. JUMP starts *all* students out with fractions, giving them a chance to be encouraged by succeeding at a tough topic.

The curriculum breaks everything down into little, tiny steps and explains the things that most math programs take for granted. I was amazed to see how many steps it actually takes to do even a simple calculation --- no wonder children get confused when we gloss over such things!

I have used RightStart for one of my children, the one who is not good at math : ) It has worked very well. He's solidly at grade level or above now.

After such success with my own son, I had the opportunity a couple of years ago to tutor a 14 yo eighth grader in math, and after several tries with Singapore (NO!) and Lial's (he could NOT do it), I hauled out my third grader's RightStart Level D and went through it with this boy in about 2 months, skipping the topics he knew (very few, sadly). By doing this, with a Rightstart game or two every day, plus using a multiplication table for homework, he improved his math score 25 percentile points. That was with 2 hours weekly tutoring and no homework.

When a child is this far behind, it's because they have conceptually missed things earlier. It's necessary to go back and plug up those gaps, which are sometimes all there is! But it is definitely possible to address, and address within a reasonable period (like, up to grade level in a year or less) as long as the conceptual groundwork is laid.

I see someone else already suggested Lial's, it was the first I thought of too. http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/032157270X Something that is going to cover your bases but move at a faster pace for an older student.

I have friends who are very happy with JUMP. I've used Math Mammoth Blue series quite a bit to reinforce topics my children struggled with.

My kids LOVED Timez Attack. They still play for fun sometimes. It is basically glorified flashcards, but sometimes that is what you need. Getting those facts down cold really helped everything else progress more smoothly for us. I regret listening to the people who told me not to stress it, that the facts would come in time, let them have cheatsheets etc. For one kid it did, my other used the sheets like a crutch and it held him back.

What a blessing you all have been to my friend Sarah! I pasted all your wonderful suggestions into a doc and sent it to her today, and she called almost crying (happy tears). She asked me to thank you all personally for caring enough about her dd to share your wisdom. :)

What about the Learn Math Fast System where the author states students can learn years of math in months: http://www.learnmathfastbooks.com/

I have the Liping Ma Knowing Mathematics coursebooks but they are visually geared toward the younger set with their photos and illustrations. Might not go over well with an older kid.

The Liping Ma Knowing Math books state that it is for 4-6 grades. Is this not correct or do they just seem young? I have two kids that are behind and I am trying to catch them up between now and August. I was going to order CLE for the 6th grader but I am just taking another look at this.

What about the Learn Math Fast System where the author states students can learn years of math in months: http://www.learnmathfastbooks.com/

I have the Liping Ma Knowing Mathematics coursebooks but they are visually geared toward the younger set with their photos and illustrations. Might not go over well with an older kid.

I watched some of the samples of this and it looks really cool, just very expensive. I loved the 9's video. I had never heard of some of those.

They also offer a payment plan. Has anyone actually ever used these books? The more I look at them, the more I am interested in them. I hate to spend that kind of money without knowing anyone who has used them before.

I actually printed out the fraction trial page on their website and went over it with my 12 yo and she seemed to enjoy it! I kept thinking about this program all night and finally decided I would write them and see if I could offer up a review. I am very happy that they said, yes! So they are sending me Vol. 1 to try out with both the girls and then I will report back what our experience was. I am really hoping that this is going to make catch up a bit easier. I also ordered CLE but my 6th grader couldn't even do half of the 500 test so that is where we will start. Hopefully we won't have to do the whole book but fill in the gaps and then use Learn Math Fast to accelerate her learning so that maybe by next year she can be at grade level. That's my hope. I will keep you posted.

Something that is likely in the library and might be a great resource in this situation is Danica McKellar's series which begins with "Math Doesn't Suck". Remember the show the Wonder Years? It turns out Winny (spelling?) is an accomplished and award winning mathematician.

Something that is likely in the library and might be a great resource in this situation is Danica McKellar's series which begins with "Math Doesn't Suck". Remember the show the Wonder Years? It turns out Winny (spelling?) is an accomplished and award winning mathematician.

Oh, that's a good idea! My daughter really likes those books -- to the point that when we noticed she was working on Geometry, we placed a pre-order as soon as Amazon had the page available. And I *never* pre-order hardback books.

Just an FYI, some of the books from Richard Fisher are available in the Kindle owner's lending library. I went ahead and got the first book to use as review with ds. I wasn't sure about viewing them on the Kindle but they are set up as frames so that each section can be magnified, and swiping across the screen automatically brings up the next section of the page. This is how they handle comic books on the Kindle. It makes viewing much easier.

I've been using Mastering Essential Math Skills by Richard Fisher, along with working on facts separately with ALEKS Quick Tables and I may have her try xtra math too.. It moves fast, but doesn't take a lot of time each day..the bit of repetition and practice is just about perfect for us, and it doesn't talk down and really seems to be working - she's retaining stuff....my learner is almost 14, and shut down too, but this she tolerates. We work through the sample problems together, and then I stay right there and tell her that if she isn't understanding something, we can work through more problems together, and I don't care if we do all of the problems together if that's what she needs.... I've also pulled up a Khan video or two for reinforcement on whatever we're doing. I've been using book 1 rather than book 2, but they essentially cover the same stuff, just book 2 is a bit more complex in the problems - but follows the same introduction of skills and the exact same format. If I feel she needs it, we may go and do book 2 when we're done..that was my original plan (I have both books and she needed a lot of remediation), but now that we are 2/3 of the way through book 1, I think we'll be ok moving into a pre-algebra or Bilal's College Math...if we could only get her FACTS down! Yikes. That's ongoing. My 11 yo is not as far behind, but she's is also doing the book with us, and I think by the time she's done, she'll be up to grade level...