Menu

Funny / embarrassing thing happened to me this evening.

SKL

It wasn't funny at the time!

I went to pick up my kids from school. I decided to take the girls to Bob Evans (kids eat free day) so I wouldn't have to cook and clean. We got seated and ordered some milk and coffee. Suddenly I realized that I left my wallet at home (normally it's in my jeans pocket, but I was in the middle of laundry and forgot to transfer it to the clean pair).

I get the waitress's attention to tell her to cancel our drink order as I had no way to pay for it. At this, my kids get this sad, crushed, deprived look and the waitress starts feeling sorry for us. Next thing I know, the elderly couple sitting nearby wants to spring for our meal. Of course I'm not having this, but they were very insistent. They told the waitress that our drink order and anything else we wanted was on them. I went back to the car to dig around for any possible cash and came up with $1 in change and a $5 Panera gift card. I tried to at least give the elderly couple the Panera card, but they would not take it.

So then I was saved by the manager, who said that he'd let us eat if I promised to bring the payment later in the evening. We proceeded to order and eat.

I ordered a pot pie. When it was served, I shared my biscuits with the kids as usual. Then my dd reminded me that she likes the pot pie crust. (She's a crust person, what can I say? My dad was thrilled when she complimented the crust on his famous pumpkin pies last Thanksgiving.) I proceed to break up the crust and give her a generous portion of it. My other kid then wants her share of the crust. I also gave the kids the chicken from my pot pie, as I normally do.

The elderly couple is watching all this. Oh, this poor little family. Single mom, two starved little kids, sharing crusts! It helps that I'm a simple person when it comes to looks - Old T-shirt, faded jeans, no make-up or accessories, and I am overdue for a haircut. I could pass for a street bum if I wanted to.

So on their way out, the elderly couple forced a $20 on me and said I should buy my kids some dessert! Folks, I do not need $20, and my kids don't need dessert! I tried to talk them out of it, but in the end, I didn't want to hurt their feelings and thwart their heartfelt attempt to do a good deed, so I decided to take that $20 and give it to the charity I founded years ago.

If those folks could see my tax return, they'd choke.

My daughter kept asking me, "Mom, are you still feeling embarrassed? Why?" As far as my kids were concerned, all was right with the world as long as they were getting their Bob Evans pancakes. :/

My kids are now under strict orders not to allow me into a restaurant until I have checked for my wallet. Because obviously I can't be trusted to do that. :/ Also, note to self: make sure there is a $20 stashed in the car at all times. :/

That is funny. But heartwarming, too, that there are people as sweet as that couple.

Yes, I told my girls that we must be very thankful there are such people in the world, and we should hope to be so kind.

I also told them that in a way, it was good to know what it feels like to be on the receiving end of charity.

That's so sweet of them. There are still decent people in the world. Pay it forward.

While we aren't Christian, we celebrate the generous spirit of St Nicholas. We go out to dinner on St Nick Day (Dec 6) and randomly pick someone out and pay for their meal. They are always confused, but I explain the tradition and they appreciate it. Once (when we were living in the States) we ran into one of the families a few weeks later in a store and they told me that they had done the same thing the following week for another family, and would now start doing it every year.

That is funny. But heartwarming, too, that there are people as sweet as that couple.

:iagree: I smiled all the way throguh your story.

I love that you accepted their gift, even though you didn't really need it. That was a blessing for them as much as it was for you. :)

I understand that feeling of awkwardness though. It was very gracious of you to accept it (not easy to do!).

I agree with this, too. :001_smile:

Mommy, just one more morsel of that crust please! :lol: I'm sure you made that couple's day.

Pay it forward, and all will be right with the world! Great story. Your kids will remember it forever. :D

Yep, I'm sure my kids have already told their version of it to all their teachers at school. ;) And this will inspire little quips from my eldest for years to come. :)

God likes to keep me humble, and I'm thankful for it.

Funny thing - yesterday I was tempted to make a silly post about the garbage pickers who kept coming to check out the junk on our treelawn (we purged our garage after many years). Just a few hours later and I'm feeling like a beggar. I'm glad it happened, though it was painful!

The elderly couple is watching all this. Oh, this poor little family. Single mom, two starved little kids, sharing crusts! ...

This part had me laughing out loud.

I wonder what the couple talked about on their way home? Maybe they're going to increase their charitable giving so that this never happens again to a hardworking single mom. :)

I think it's great that your kids got to see all those folks (the couple and the restaurant staff) being so nice.

I think you made this couple happy and satisfied. The amount of money you have or don't have isn't the issue. They wanted to be generous. What a great example they showed your kids.

I'd use the money they gave you to pay for someone else's meal. Make sure your kids are with you.

It wasn't funny at the time!

I went to pick up my kids from school. I decided to take the girls to Bob Evans (kids eat free day) so I wouldn't have to cook and clean. We got seated and ordered some milk and coffee. Suddenly I realized that I left my wallet at home (normally it's in my jeans pocket, but I was in the middle of laundry and forgot to transfer it to the clean pair).

I get the waitress's attention to tell her to cancel our drink order as I had no way to pay for it. At this, my kids get this sad, crushed, deprived look and the waitress starts feeling sorry for us. Next thing I know, the elderly couple sitting nearby wants to spring for our meal. Of course I'm not having this, but they were very insistent. They told the waitress that our drink order and anything else we wanted was on them. I went back to the car to dig around for any possible cash and came up with $1 in change and a $5 Panera gift card. I tried to at least give the elderly couple the Panera card, but they would not take it.

So then I was saved by the manager, who said that he'd let us eat if I promised to bring the payment later in the evening. We proceeded to order and eat.

I ordered a pot pie. When it was served, I shared my biscuits with the kids as usual. Then my dd reminded me that she likes the pot pie crust. (She's a crust person, what can I say? My dad was thrilled when she complimented the crust on his famous pumpkin pies last Thanksgiving.) I proceed to break up the crust and give her a generous portion of it. My other kid then wants her share of the crust. I also gave the kids the chicken from my pot pie, as I normally do.

The elderly couple is watching all this. Oh, this poor little family. Single mom, two starved little kids, sharing crusts! It helps that I'm a simple person when it comes to looks - Old T-shirt, faded jeans, no make-up or accessories, and I am overdue for a haircut. I could pass for a street bum if I wanted to.

So on their way out, the elderly couple forced a $20 on me and said I should buy my kids some dessert! Folks, I do not need $20, and my kids don't need dessert! I tried to talk them out of it, but in the end, I didn't want to hurt their feelings and thwart their heartfelt attempt to do a good deed, so I decided to take that $20 and give it to the charity I founded years ago.

If those folks could see my tax return, they'd choke.

My daughter kept asking me, "Mom, are you still feeling embarrassed? Why?" As far as my kids were concerned, all was right with the world as long as they were getting their Bob Evans pancakes. :/

My kids are now under strict orders not to allow me into a restaurant until I have checked for my wallet. Because obviously I can't be trusted to do that. :/ Also, note to self: make sure there is a $20 stashed in the car at all times. :/

Lol. That was hilarious. God bless those people. They meant well. Pass it on, because you can!