Menu

do you let your children...

Of course. I read the covers off of three paperback sets of LOTR; why wouldn't I let my dc re-read their favorite books? :D

That's funny Ellie...my ds10 will read nothing but LOTR right now. He says once he's done there will be NOTHING to read because nothing can top them. Cracks me up!

Absolutely. Dd14 is a voracious reader and goes thru not only new books, but re-reads old favorites all the time. She has done this for years, as I did when I was her age. It was one of my great joys! Ds16 sometimes does this, but only once in a while, and that's the way he's always been, too.

There seem to be two kinds if readers;

1/ read it once then are quite happy to give it away or sell it.

2/ read it and keep it for ever. Read and reread and have panic attacks if you can't find it when you want it because nothing.else.will.do.

Each group thinks the others are strange. Group 2 thinks group 2 are unnatural and guilty of book abuse.

Yes, but I'll admit I find it odd. I have never read a book multiple times. I'm not saying 2-3 times. I mean my son once read a book 10 times. A longish book. It was Dewey the Library Cat. For some reason he was totally in love with that book.

That's one of DD's faves. I sometimes hide it to avoid reading it AGAIN.....

Assuming the student is otherwise getting their work done and will read other books at least once, yes- I do let them read and re-read a favorite.

One trick for Diamond: after she's read a favorite a few times, she gets the Spanish translation. She's already very familiar with the story, and that helps her figure out unfamiliar vocabulary.

Reading for enjoyment-you bet. The boys read, reread, and read again Calvin and Hobbes, and anything in their particular interest range, which is typically non-fiction.

For school we have readers where I can pick things that challenge them with phonics and with new information or genre. Then we have a book that they read for literature with comprehension questions and narration and the like. We call it our prize book, because that book has a reward at the end. This book usually is right at grade level and interest, but because they were intimidated by chapter books, having the reward at the end makes it easier to get through. And I also have a book to read aloud which is typically pretty dense with vocabulary and stretches them in the comprehension department too.

I really like that idea of taking a familiar book and presenting it in a foreign language! Now I have yet another reason to buy the Latin translation of Winnie the Pooh.

DS13 is one who will re-read books that are well below grade level over and over again sometimes. I had to put a ban on re-reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid for awhile because he had read them so many times it was interfering with reading on grade level literature. He was getting his assigned reading done, and is an excellent reader, but he wasn't stretching himself at all in his free time. I don't mind if he reads below level stuff as fluff sometimes, but not at the expense of expanding his horizons with other stuff. If he were younger and/or struggled with reading, I think I might worry about it a bit less though.

We're a family of re-readers. And, I do think there is a benefit to revisiting favorites. DD just re-read "From the Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" for her online literature class-with a copy that has definitely seen better days and that was purchased at least 2-3 years ago. She'll also be re-reading "The Phantom Tollbooth" for the same class-again, she's read it before. I'm amazed at what she's gotten out of those old favorites when she actually has a chance to discuss them with other people besides her parents.

When my kids were younger, they absolutely did that. They had favorite books that they would carry with them in the car and would often re-read. These were usually non-fiction, but sometimes fiction as well. I have two super readers that have often re-read books either at an older age (could appreciate it differently) or when they ran out of books in our home library. :001_smile:

Lisa