Menu

what do you like for spelling that isn't.....

kesmom

I'm using Megawords with a fairly strong speller and I like it. I do sometimes wish I had just stuck with SWR, though, because we had a system down and I was able to spend a few months a year with her on spelling and be done with it. Now, my other child was not a strong speller and SWR was good for him, but it took us 40 minutes a day to do it. In 2nd or 3rd grade, I moved him to an SRA program called Spelling Mastery, which I believe is very similar to Apples and Pears. That was perfect for him. It took about 20 minutes a day and his spelling really improved. Spelling Mastery is something you've either got to pay a lot of money for or buy on ebay though, so I don't recommend it much unless you've got a kid who really struggles and needs a different approach.

For manuscript first, I like WRTR 4th edition.

For cursive first I like Alpha-Phonics/How to Tutor.

Most of the time I teach cursive first, but I have waffled a bit, and have settled back into cursive first as my default method, but I know the down sides of this choice. I switch spelling programs when I switch handwriting types.

Spalding first (Spalding is the method; WRTR is the manual, not actually a method itself).

For more traditional spelling, I like R&S first, but BJUP and Spelling Workout are close seconds. IMHO, if you do BJUP, you do need the TM, because some of the instruction and activities are in the TM, not in the student worktext.

We use Making Words and like it a lot. In the past we've used Sequential Spelling, AAS, WRTR, Spelling Power, and SWS. Its been great to find something we actually like and complete. Making Words has some similarities to AAS, but relies on word games to find the words within words. My kids like it and so do I! After spending all that money trying out spelling cirrulica, its crazy that the one we like best costs less than $1 on Amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Words-Grades-Multilevel-Activities/dp/0866538062/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361499346&sr=8-1&keywords=making+words

We use Making Words and like it a lot. In the past we've used Sequential Spelling, AAS, WRTR, Spelling Power, and SWS. Its been great to find something we actually like and complete. Making Words has some similarities to AAS, but relies on word games to find the words within words. My kids like it and so do I! After spending all that money trying out spelling cirrulica, its crazy that the one we like best costs less than $1 on Amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Words-Grades-Multilevel-Activities/dp/0866538062/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361499346&sr=8-1&keywords=making+words

AAS or R+S?

Evan-Moor has worked extremely well for us. AAS was a bust with this child (Button) -- I think BotBot will do swimmingly with it, though -- and I found some wonderful CM-ish/real-language-based programs, but they weren't improving the words he uses in his writing; and also we'll be sitting California state tests starting this year, and I wanted something that would keep his test performance related to his actual skill level.

At any rate, Button likes the Evan-Moor too! We've just transitioned into the 3rd grade book. Toward the end of the 2nd grade, I added a daily oral review, otherwise we use as is.

Why do you think that Spalding needs anything as a precursor?

I prefer scripted lesson plans. I loved FLL, AAS, and RS for those reasons. I also am trusting in the guidance of a good friend that is very similar to me. She thought starting out with SB was the best thing she did. I have already bought and sold the WRTR book once, so I know I need something open and go to go with it. Some people think WRTR is open and go; I am not one of them:)

If I want to do WRTR, should I buy the home educator's kit on the spalding website, or just WRTR?

To do Spalding, all you need is the manual (Spalding is the method--it's what you *do*--WRTR is the manual) and a set of phonogram cards. If you want, you can add the Word Builder cards later. You don't need the teacher guides. Classroom teachers find them helpful; homeschooling parents don't need them.