BFSU 2

McHenry's Elements, Brain, and Cells

some interest-led science including dissections

hopefully SOTW or A Little History of the World audiobooks

lots of audiobooks and reading

poetry, scripture memorization, and yoga in circle time

possibly violin

LifePrint for ASL

What SL books are you looking at adding? I plan to do SOTW as well. I'm waiting on the CTG TM so I can see if we'll want to add any AG activities.

I'm sorry for my delayed response. I wasn't following the thread. I am not sure yet, what SL books we will use. I haven't bought my CtG package yet, but I am planning to choose book basket books that are also included in SL packages. Most will probably be from core B (my kids are on the young side for MFW recommended age ranges) because I already own most of those books. I have serious SL/MFW tension, so I am going to try really hard to get the best out of both programs. Also, for the books that do not fit into the history cycle (read-alouds), I am going to read those to the kids as bed time stories.

I am also waiting on the CtG TM to see if I want to add the SOTW AG. I really liked the AG activities and additional book selections, especially because they seem appropriate for my children's ages. I will have to see how much of CtG is appropriate for them or if I will need to lower it to their grade level.

My daughter will be in 4th grade when we go into CtG so I watch your selections with interest. MFW is so hands on which is one of the things we love. I wonder if it would be difficult to keep up with the activities if you add in the AG from SOTW. I like the idea of using core b books and will have to check it out. Always planning....it's an illness!

My ds8 started 3rd grade in January and he is doing:

Easy Learn Maths 3A for Math (was already partway through the book)

LLATL Yellow for LA

Abeka English 2 (2x week), Pictures in Cursive, and Free Writing for additional LA skills

Sonlight B and C for History, Geography, Read-alouds, and Bible (3/4 of the way through Core B and starting Core C after Easter)

Pathway Readers and SL readers for reading.

Abeka Science 3 for Science

Piano for music

SOTW activity book and activites from the many art resources I have at home for Art and Craft

Swimming, outdoor games, bikes, scooters etc for PE.

Guest jparrish4782

This will be our first year homeschooling and am trying to figure out how to integrate 3 different levels. Here's my plan for my third grader:

Math: Saxon Math 3.

Spelling: Spelling Workout Level B

Language: First Language Lessons Level 2

History: SOTW - trying to decide which volume. Thinking I may start at the beginning...

Science: Adventures with Atoms & Molecules

Latin: Prima Latina

Not everything planned yet...

Beast Academy

Finish McHenry's Elements then back to BFSU 2

Finish SSL Latin then move on to Minimus - Latin is her super easy subject :)

Still thinking about grammar/writing...Pondering adding some written book report type things instead of narration. Not sure yet.

History is interest led, currently WWII and the Tudors concurrently.

Plus dance, violin, piano, home school drama class, art with DH.

So far, it looks like this:

English
Guided Reading: (She reads to me) K-12 Reader 3B; Holy Bible (selected books/chapters)
Literature Guides: Memoria Press Literature Guides (Charlotte's Web; Farmer Boy)
[includes vocabulary]
Literature Study:
Forms & Elements of Literature (Easy workbook; 12 weeks)
E-M Poetry Guide (Easy workbook; 12 weeks)
Shakespeare: A Midsummer Night's Dream (Read aloud, listen to, watch, discuss the play, acts/scenes, characters; 12 weeks)
One-Page Book Reports:

Setting (Little House in the Big Woods)

Plot (Little House on the Prairie)

Characterization (Pippi Longstocking)

Point of View (Ben & Me)

Theme (Mr. Popper's Penguins)

Conflict (The Borrowers)

Author's Style (The Cricket in Times Square)

Non-Fiction: Biography (Miss Lady Bird's Wildflowers)

Non-Fiction: History (Children at Work)

Handwriting & Typing: Cursive Copywork; Typing Tutor
Spelling: All About Spelling 4; All About Homophones
Composition: Writing with Ease 3 (first half) + plenty of writing in the Lit Guides & Book Reports
Grammar: First Language Lessons 3 (finish remaining lessons)
Memory Work: 3rd Grade Memory Packet

Math: Saxon Intermediate 3 (core); Horizons 3; Kumon; HOE; Hands-On Standards 3rd Grade Labs
Critical Thinking: Building Thinking Skills, Chess, Sudoku

French: Ecoutez, Parlez, Volume 3; French Bible Copywork
Latin: Latina Christiana I (not all of it this year)

Music: Theory Time; Instrument Lessons & Practice
Art: Artistic Pursuits; Draw-Write Now

GROUP:
Bible & Devotional: Bible chapters; Bible Felt Storytelling; Prims (Girls Club) Doctrine Badges
Literature & Poetry (RAs): Chapter books; Audiobooks; children's classics; poetry
History & Geography (RAs + maps): American History 2; States, Capitals, Landmarks & Symbols
Science (RAs): Astronomy; stargazer guides & binoculars
Nature Study: Mammals & Tracks; Wildflowers
Hobbies & How-To: Student's choice

my tenative plans:

math: mm3, singapore cwp, and lof- wherever we are

logic: logic safari 2

phonics: etc 6-8

writing: writing tales and maybe some wwe for practice

grammar: fll3

handwriting: ?

vocab: wordly wise 3

spelling: ?

science: apologia botany

history: sotw 2

Bible: reading through, maybe bsgfaa

Latin: Lively Latin, Minimus

we also do poetry, nature, character/virtue, literature, sewing, art, music, and global studies.

I've done more tweaking and now have a general plan. I have my primary programs picked out at least.

Math: BA3D-4C, Selected RSD and Hands on Equations

Literature: Hodge podge lists from Mater Ambilis, Ambleside Online, Memoria Press, and Great Books Academy- I have my list ready I just need to purchase the rest of the books. He is required to read 30 minutes a day for lit and can pick anything on the list in any order.

Writing: WWE3- still considering IEW TWSS and SWI B as well

Spelling: Thinking about going back to How to Teach Spelling

Penmanship: LoE Cursive Workbook

Grammar: KISS Grammar (we've started this and are enjoying it so plan on continuing it for now)- still considering MCT grammar for fun as well

History: Middle Ages- Mom made literature based program. 30 min reading or so a day, documentaries once a week or so and activities here and there, lots of discussion.

Science: The Elements- McHenry- I plan to try this out and if we like it we will continue w/ her other programs, if not it will be Mom directed library science

Here are my plans so far for my son who will be in the 3rd next year...

Math - Rod & Staff 3

Grammar - Rod & Staff 3

Spelling - Rod & Staff 3

Writing - Unsure, most likely narration WWE style

History - Still not a priority for us at this stage, so just various books (probably some TOG suggestions since my oldest uses that)

Science - Unsure, maybe Elemental Science Grammar Stage Chemistry or Rod & Staff Science 3

:001_wub: reading up on what everyone has planned!

Classical Conversations Foundations (I treat this separate and don't attempt to match subjects because I like my sanity)

LA:

Grammer-R&S 3

Writing- WWE 2/3

Spelling- LOE...or R&S 3

Penmanship: Getty Dubay D

Math:

Singapore 4, Beast Academy (MM to supplement as needed)

History:

VP self pace NT Greece and Rome

SOTW 2 audios

Science:

??? Apologia Swimming Creatures or Elemental Science

Greek: Hey Andrew

Latin: SSL/Minimus

My 8 year old daughter is a rising 3rd grader. I also homeschool my 6 year old son (he is a rising 1st grader). I am teaching a lot of subject matter together. They will each be working on Singapore math. Bella will have completed the ETC series, so she's going to move on to the national treasures workbooks and focus on grammar and spelling.

Writing: once a week book summaries

Music: little mozarts piano

Health: harcourt health

Art: home art studio

Science: Mr. Q

Social Studies: Galloping the Globe

PE: daily activity plus soccer for ds and gymnastics for dd.

My ds' writing is quite delayed, so I'll likely be scribing for much of the non-copywork/handwriting activities, or doing them orally. Tentatively...

Writing - IEW Bible Heroes

Spelling - Sequential Spelling

Grammar - MCT Island

History - SOTW1, Veritas Press NT/Ancient Greece & Rome (maybe the self-paced online course if there's a group buy?) Still considering HOD Preparing Hearts though :)

Math - Singapore 3A/3B

Reading - probably a few of the VP or MP literature recommendations. He reads a lot for fun so I may not do anything formal.

Science - Possibly A Beka Science 3 & AIG Inventions & Technology

Spanish - Getting Started with Spanish

Latin - Song School 2

Art - an outside class, I hope

I am working on my plans. The list is similar to what I used with my twins.

Math: SM, with me for basics, with tutor twice a week for challenge work

History: Ancients, leaning towards mix of TOG and SL again with CC memory work

Spelling: AAS

Grammar: PR

Writing: combo of CW, WWE, and IEW

Reading: SL Readers

Science: Aha! Science, living books, maybe some Noeo Biology, and tagging along with twins for experiments

Penmanship: Pentime

Vocabulary: Vocabulary Workshop?

• 3 weeks later...

Ha, I had to look this up as I think I've finally decided. I went ahead and ordered anyway!

Math: RSE, Hands on Equations, + selections from Beast Academy

Grammar- KISS + MCT

Writing- WWE3+ IEW TWSS across curriculum- rotating subjects

Spelling and Penmanship- LoE Essentials

History- Middle Ages- Mom-made lots of good books, classics, non-fiction and good historical fiction

Science- McHenry Elements- planned for about 10weeks, a few GEMs guides and library book science

Art- Atelier Level 3

Literature- Combined lists from Angelicum, AO, etc, + Teaching the Classics

Religion- Living our Religion- Living in God's Grace

Latin- Getting Started with Latin + Minimus

Still thinking but....

General LA/Science/Social Studies: Moving Beyond the Page 8-10 (maybe just two of the four concepts so we have time for other things)

Math: Math Mammoth 3, Beast Academy 3

Handwriting: HWOT Cursive

Spelling: Sequential Spelling

History: SOTW 2 and interest-led

I'm attracted to Bravewriter, MCT, and project-based homeschooling too--I want to do it all.

My rising 3rd grader's plan (still ironing it out):

CLE Math & some MM/HOE

R&S English though I'm looking at FLL 3 as a better fit for him

IEW SWI-A and WWE 2

CLE Reading and lots of books

WRTR/LOE for spelling

Maybe Pentime Cursive as he needs to practice with a model ;)

MFW CTG or Veritas Press for history

Science: Most likely Chemistry though I'm not sure

CC Foundations

See the Light Art (as a family)

Guitar

It always looks good on paper. The living it out daunts us year to year.... We just keep moving forward. :laugh:

I think my rising third grader is going to try Oak Meadow next year, so my list is pretty short:

OM3 (full package + crafts, though we probably won't use the math)

Singapore Primary Math Std. Ed. (continue through levels) & start on BA when she's ready

WWE (continue through levels)

Just about to hit pay for all my carts I have filled. For dd, she will be doing:

SL Core D with American Girl books added and Welcome to ___World as pseudo spines

Time Traveler CD's to go with SL core D

SL LA D

BJU Math 4

Finish up Mensa Book List for K-3, start book list 4-6th

Wordly Wise 3

SL Science D

Apologia Zoology 1:Flying Creatures with mix of lapbook and notebooking

Home Art Studio 2 and 3

Nature Study with journaling

Continuing with Spelling doing it the Ruth Beechick way

This book list looks great. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

Ds8 will be using:

Math: SM 3A/3B and LOF Goldfish and Honey

Spelling: Sequential Spelling 1 (DVDRom)

Vocabulary: Wordly Wise 3000 Book 3

Handwriting: HWT Cursive Handwriting

Grammar: First Language Lessons 3

Writing: TOG Year 2 Level 3 Writing with IEW TWSS

History, Geography, Literature, Fine Arts, Worldview: TOG Year 2 Lower Grammar level supplemented with library books from Sonlight, AO, and similar booklists.

Science: Following along with his older brother for Intellego Unit Studies Grades 6-8 Science: Astronomy, Plate Tectonics, and Evolution while covering similar content in the Usborne Book of Astronomy and Space, Usborne's Encyclopedia of Planet Earth, and DK's Evolution Revolution along with our extensive library of Sonlight science books. We'll also be incorporating material from Faraday Schools about science and religion.

Latin: Prima Latina

Spanish: OnlineFreeSpanish.com and 123Teachme.com

Speech: Super Star Speech

Art: Mark Kistler's Online Drawing Lessons, Mike's Imagination Station, and Easy Peasy All-in-One Homeschool art. We'll include art history, artist studies, and picture study using various materials online, books from our shelves, and the library.

Music: Easy Peasy All-in-One Homeschool music and the Nine-note Recorder Method. We'll include music history, composer studies, and music appreciation using various materials online and from the library along with books and CDs we already own.

P.E. and Health: Family Time Fitness, Easy Peasy All-in One Homeschool P.E. and health, and Kidshealth.org

Our plan is:

History: Sonlight Core C, 5 day, using a IG from 2005

Math: Still up in the air if we will stay with MCP or switch to Horizons

Science: Sonlight Core C Science 5 day, with tweaks

English: I think we'll end up using R&S English, but with a LOT of tweaks to make it secular.

Spelling: Spelling Power

Handwriting: ZB 2 - dd isn't ready for cursive yet.

I've been working hard to figure out our plans for 3rd grade. We school year round, and are about to finish up many of the things we've been working on this year for 2nd and K. I've also got a a pre-schooler who will be running around with us next year. :)

For several subjects I expect that the reading/work will take us through the end of next summer and maybe into the fall (History, and LA for example).

I work full-time; so, we're using more "boxed" and scheduled curriculum this year than ever before. I'm excited about the options we've selected.

History: Pandia Press Early Modern Times (general for whole family 1st grader will do the "work" here), Sonlight Core D, 5 day

Math: Continue LoF, MM Miquon play with younger siblings to build conceptual understanding; math is not her thing. Possibly add in Mathematical Reasoning D when we finally get to 3rd grade math (maybe by November).

Science=Physics: Classical Conversations Science Cards, Creek Edge Press Task Cards, lots of books and activities that come with Neo Science (use the curriculum as needed in guiding the 1st grader).

Reading/Literature: Sonlight Core D, Yesterday's classics, other interest lead choices, MCT Mud Trilogy

Grammar/Writing: In this order - MCT Grammar/Practice Town, Killgallon Sentence Composing, MCT Paragraph Town

Vocabulary: MCT CE: Classical Edition,

Spelling: Spelling Plus or Sequentail Spelling??

Art: Picture study and composter study CM style, Sonlight Elective D, projects as I have the patience. ;)

Extra curricular: continue Dance, enrichment co-op, 4-H cooking class

Wow when I just typed that all out it looks like a TON, but we're not doing it all at once. We don't do everything everyday, and we will move through some of the curriculum and then move on - or be rotating between them (math for example, we do LoF a day or so and the MM a day or so).

And just so I have it in one place:

1st Grade:

History: Pandia Press Early Modern Times (general for whole family 1st grader will do the "work" here), Sonlight Core D (read alouds only)

Math: Miquon. Maybe start MM or in Mathematical Reasoning.

Science=Physics: Classical Conversations Science Cards, Neo Science

Reading: Phonics Pathways, Bob books, Flyleaf Publishing readers

Literature: as read alouds - Sonlight Core D, Yesterday's classics, other interest lead choices,

Grammar/Writing: FLL: 1, copywork, narration,

Art: Picture study and composter study CM style, Sonlight Elective B, projects as I have the patience. ;)

Extra curricular: continue soccer, enrichment co-op, 4-H cooking class, Daisy scouts

4 year old:

Read alouds as he's interested, physics - build stuff, move stuff, etc., tag-a-long with whatever interests him about the girls' school work. I expect him to be interested in the C-rods and other math manipulatives we've got laying around.

I have fairly firm 3rd grade plans at this point.... now I just need a 3rd grade student!!! :lol:

If she isn't allowed to come home for 3rd, then I will still have her do math, history and science over the summer/after school. I really am hoping she doesn't have to do Virtual for 3rd if she comes home, because while she could do it - it wouldn't accomplish the "catch her up and meet her wishes" that what I have planned will do.

Time will tell, it all resides in her father's hands.

Math:

Singapore 3A/B with HIG and mental math pages

Language Arts:

McGuffey's 2nd Reader (2nd half) for dictation, narration, copywork, etc.

Daily Grammar Practice Level 3

Understanding Writing

History:

Ancients using Diana Waring's audio cds with various book selections from SCM, HUFI, etc.

Science:

Various books selections from BFSU, SCM, HUFI, and elsewhere

Bible:

Action Bible + Devotional

Training Hearts, Teaching Minds

Literature:

He hasn't discovered a love for chapter books yet, so I'm thinking of finding quality picture books for him.

Other:

Logic Countdown

Home Art Studio 4

TaeKwon Do