Menu

s/o Amazon

DragonFaerie

So, people are saying that they order from Amazon a lot (several times a month or more). I'm wondering what types of things y'all are buying? I usually buy books, CDs, school stuff, etc. from Amazon, but I don't need that stuff several times a month. I'm wondering if there are deals on things that I could be ordering from Amazon that I just don't know about. So, you folks who order a lot from them, what kinds of things are you ordering?

We place orders on amazon all the time.

In the past 30 days we have ordered:

3 used textbooks to compare to see which one I want to use next year

alligator clips and a potentiometer for physics experiment

bentonite clay to see if that helps for acne (zinc worked great for my other girls, but hasn't done anything for my 17yo and this didn't help either)

Os-trim meat sticks (can't get them at GNC anymore)

anime and manga for my 17yo

I ordered 2 books for school earlier in the week. Then last night I realized that I needed one more. I don't have Prime so I just *had* to order the 6th season of Northern Exposure from my wish listS to bump me over $25 for free shipping. I also bought a few things earlier in the month for ds9's birthday party.

I usually stick to books.

I buy cases of items that are hard to find in stores but available on Amazon. We use Basis facial cleansing cloths, and they're much cheaper to buy by the case. This morning I ordered a case (12 boxes) of parmesan cheese sticks, which I can't find in stores in this area. Boxes of Sno-Caps candies sell for $3.50 at the movies, but they're less than a dollar a box through Amazon. Our dog eats Newman's Own Organic Dog Food, which is hard to find locally (we have a neighborhood store that solely sells dog food, and even it doesn't carry Newman's). Our local supermarkets have stopped carrying Dixie paper napkins, but Amazon sells them.

Since the beginning of the year, I've bought valentine cards for my daughter to give out, emollient cream for my son (much cheaper than at the dermatologist's office, and exactly the same brand), two bath rugs, Torani flavoring syrup for drinks, fish oil capsules, a video game, and a water filter for the fridge.

for this month . . .

supplements, some of which I would have to drive 30 minutes to a pharmacy that carries them. (supersup, vitaminshoppe, et. al do not carry them.)

closet organizer accessories - didn't buy the closet organizer for the closet I just did from amazon - but I did use them for my kids closets.

toys

in the past I've bought protein bars, hot rollers, sun shades, costco vitamins before I stopped using them (yeah, kirkland brand is costco and you can buy them from amazon. I was sending them to a son out of state.) utility tools, yoga props, kids shoes and boots, etc . etc.

I live out in the country, so it's often cheaper to use Amazon once I factor in the cost of gas and time (plus iwth kids errands just take longer). You do have to check buying bulk foods; sometimes it's a great deal and other times it's astronomically expensive. I also buy some cleaning products in bulk if I want specific brands that are hard to find or siginificantly more expensive in stores. I do subscribe and save for overnight diapers (we have found that only one brand works, and the Amazon subscribe and save is about the sale price in regular stores--except that I don't have to keep an eye out for the sales to stock up, nor do I have to figure out where to store it). Since I have Prime, I also send birthday presents straight to the recipient's house--no need to go out shopping, pack it up, or go to the post office!

I buy grocery items which can be hard to find locally on Amazon. Things like almond butter which is free of peanut contamination and Nutiva coconut oil.

I get cat food on Amazon. Xylitol tooth wipes for the toddler. Random things like an HDMI cord I didn't feel like driving to Best Buy for. The occasional kitchen gadget. I got some silicone ice cube trays awhile back.

Aside from books, I order many household items through the Subscribe and Save option. I buy cat box receptacles, cat box filters, litter, hair detangler, mousse, diapers, wipes, diaper pail liners, and toilet paper. Recent purchases include Congaplex, various supplements, hand lotion, sports bras, underwear, and pens.

I love ordering products this way. It is cheaper, saves time, and easy to adjust the schedule if needed.

WalMart is 30 minutes from us. We do live on a military base and there is an exchange but often it's expensive or they don't have what I really need. So in the past six months I've purchased:

books

swimsuits

snow boots

music

printer ink

duffle bag

ribbons for an art show

thermals

princess party supplies

legos

Christmas gifts of all sorts

binder

headphones

laminator

Wii remotes

bottle caps for making an instrument

kindle charger

more legos

more headphones

protector pages

file boxes

bicycle tires

graph paper

Basically, if Amazon Prime has it .. I get it there.

Honestly, it's mostly books by a very wide margin, even though I do order from Amazon several times a month. (If you've seen my posts in the Financial Accountability thread...) I have a Kindle, so downloading a book when I hear about it, see it somewhere, start thinking about a subject, etc. is so easy...too easy. I do purchase many other things from Amazon when Christmas rolls around. About once every few months, I might order something in the household category; I just bought a floor cleaner from them and a few months ago, bought curtains for my kitchen.

I have a reward card with Amazon, so at least, I do get a little credit now and then.

I am sooo addicted to Amazon. I am up various times in the night nursing my newborn so I read this forum and then check everyone's recommendations on Amazon (and Rainbow Resource... another dangerous place to browse at night). You are all a bad influence! (But I love you anyways). I am trying to limit myself to not ordering anything until I receive the current order. Of course that means I have found twice as much stuff for the order.

And to answer your question -- it's all books. Lovely, wonderful books!

Might be easier to ask what I *don't* buy from Amazon.

I also live rurally and work from home in addition to homeschooling, so for me the cost-benefit analysis of ordering from Amazon vs. the time and fuel of running around to stores usually comes out in favor of Amazon.

A few things off the top of my head that I have ordered in the past few months:

Batteries for the car remotes

Screen protector for tablet

Gifts-games, luggage, slippers, sheet music

Specialty vitamins

Crew hair products

Toms Toothpaste

Alba lotion

Car charger for kid toy

Tablet cover

Mini USb to mini Usb cord

Flash drive

Bummer. I can't find anything that's cheaper on Amazon over the local Walmart. :(

I order all sorts of things from Amazon just to avoid the agony of having to go to Walmart or something like that! I would (and probably do) pay a premium for the convenience of having what I want just show up at my door.

Besides, I'd get lonely without the UPS guy dropping by regularly! :lol: