Menu

DS has 2 broken vetebrae in his back

ktgrok

I'm going to toss out a tip in case you need it.....Child Life (if you are in a children's hospital) usually has great resources for aspie kids.....The hospitals we've been in (children's or otherwise) have had notebooks with photos describing various medical procedures. They've also been great about understanding the need to follow routine and about accommodating requests for things like always using EMLA cream before needle sticks, etc.

Poor guy! Back pain is the worst.

I have broken bones just walking in my dining room, yet come out of car accidents without a scratch. You never know how or when you will get hurt severely. I'm glad you followed through when he didn't look right.

Praying that your son will get the treatment that he needs, and that it will be as peaceful a process for him as possible. Also praying for his friend.

My DD broke 7 vertebrae in her back last Feb. She was delivering Meals on Wheels with her GS troop. She slipped and landed straight on her tailbone on a wooden wheelchair ramp and the force of the impact went straight up her spine, fracturing them. She ended up in a brace from her neck to her pelvis for 6 weeks.

She's fine now.

Feel free to PM me if you need to talk or anything.

UDATE:

He is home! He is in some pain, but not as much as you would expect. The doctor was amazed at how well he was doing, and couldn't believe how well his back muscles were handling it. He was checking for spasms and found none. He said he had more tension in his own back!

Now though we have to deal with the brace. He hates it. He is an aspie. He has sensory issues. He is a teen boy that cares about his appearance. Add that all up and you get the picture. He is currently napping because he is allowed to have it off while sleeping.

If anyone has tips on making it more comfy I'm all ears.

UDATE:

He is home! He is in some pain, but not as much as you would expect. The doctor was amazed at how well he was doing, and couldn't believe how well his back muscles were handling it. He was checking for spasms and found none. He said he had more tension in his own back!

Now though we have to deal with the brace. He hates it. He is an aspie. He has sensory issues. He is a teen boy that cares about his appearance. Add that all up and you get the picture. He is currently napping because he is allowed to have it off while sleeping.

If anyone has tips on making it more comfy I'm all ears.

He'll have to be very detailed on what bothers him. Just saying it's uncomfortable is too vague. If he doesn't like the appearance, is it the type of brace that can be worn under clothes? If it keeps his body straight and that feels unnatural, help him find positions that might work in his favor. He may need to lay on the sofa or be propped up in an armchair with lots of pillows. He may need to do his schoolwork in these positions, or if he has to sit straight in a hard chair, give him lots of breaks to lay down to take the strain off.

I don't know much about braces. I wore a small one that wrapped around my body from my sternum to my hips. I felt like I had a board strapped to my back and got tired of being so straight when I was used to hunching over while sitting, or curled up while laying down. I always wore a tshirt under the brace so it wouldn't pinch me and wore another shirt on top of it because I hated the look of it. Mine was for back spasms so it wasn't something i had to wear for a long period of time.

I don't know about your Aspie, but mine would want full details of everything. I'd let him make suggestions and try everything that sounds reasonable. When my son was younger, he would have wanted a calendar to physically represent the days going by leading up to him being evaluated to have it off.