• No, and I was born in the 80s.
    • No, and I was born in the 90s.
    • Obligatory other... and you'd better explain. :D

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We moved on, too, but we were walking through this antique store and they hd one of those huge, dresser looking stereo systems from the 50s? And that thing was awesome. It sounded so amazing. We picked a player up for 20 bucks.

It was so much fun hunting through the thrift stores for Christmas records. I'm now on the lookout for classical.

I have a wonderful recording of Bach's "Christmas Oratorio" on LP. Nothing sounds better than fresh pressed vinyl.

Well, I haven't seen anyone explain it, so ... for all you youngun's out there ... I'm pretty sure it was so you could stack all the records on the player at once, and then when Side 4 finished you could turn the whole stack over to hear Sides 5-8, without having to rearrange the records (or place them on the turntable one at a time).

Very good! My grandmother had a lovely autoplayer, and those super-thick old records would fall with a satisfying smack. Once when I commented on her giant stereo, she told me that, as a girl, she used to marvel over the old cylinder recordings in her mother's storage closet. Now that's old school.

I figured out what it was when I saw the photo with all the different styles. The inner hole and the diameter was the same on all of them.

Our turntable had it's own built in adapter though, so while I'm quite familiar with vinyl records (born in 1970), I never used them myself.

Very good! My grandmother had a lovely autoplayer, and those super-thick old records would fall with a satisfying smack. Once when I commented on her giant stereo, she told me that, as a girl, she used to marvel over the old cylinder recordings in her mother's storage closet. Now that's old school.

Oh, yeah. My dad (b. 1919) had quite a few very old 78s and even 16s (!). He also had a wind-up record player that we were allowed to use only when the power went out. I have many fond memories of evenings spent with antique kerosene lamps and the Bozo records on the wind-up!

:)

I recognized it immediately and have used one many times. You had to get the good sturdy kind. The cheap thin ones would never stay in. I got a portable record player for my 12th birthday.

We moved on, too, but we were walking through this antique store and they hd one of those huge, dresser looking stereo systems from the 50s? And that thing was awesome. It sounded so amazing.

Was it a hi-fi? My parents had a hi-fi. High Fidelity. The very latest in sound technology! :rofl:

What does that make me? "Post-Ancient"?? Or, perhaps, "Pre-Immortal"?? (b. 1955)

We can be ancient together. It was a good year.

Quick. Ask me to post words to a Buffett song!*

Or you could be asked to identify one by the words.

Salt air it ain't thin. It can stick right to your skin and make you feel fine. Makes you feel fiiiine. ~ My very favorite Buffett song.

YES! I had yellow ones, red ones, and orange ones!!!

We used to dance around the house to Saturday Night Fever with my mom! Great memories!

My all-time favorite 45 was "The Lion Sleeps Tonight". I would play that over and over again until my mom would threaten to take away my little record player. :coolgleamA:

Obligatory other... I was born in the 70s, and I recognized the item but I didn't know what it was. I actually remember wondering what those were when I was a kid too... for some reason there were a bunch of them at one of the parks we used to go to. We tried throwing them (thinking they were some kind of pretend ninja-weapon) but decided that was overrated.

:)

Born in 73, did have some records as a kid, but don't remember them using any kind of adapter. By the time I was "into" music (age 10?), I had mostly tapes.

I thought it was some kind of symbol, either for recycling or nuclear power.

Born in 73.Had a record player right up through 1993 (Got it for graduating from high school)

Never used one of those. The player just accommodated the different speeds when you changed the knob.

My all-time favorite 45 was "The Lion Sleeps Tonight". I would play that over and over again until my mom would threaten to take away my little record player. :coolgleamA:

That was a favorite -- that and 'The Witch Doctor' driving mom crazy, running around the house singing 'ooh eee ooh ahh ahh ting tang walla walla bing bang'.

My grandmother always insisted that I have the latest and greatest, which in 1974 when I was two was one of these, which also had the part that came up to fit the 45s (red thing)ShowNTell.jpg