Menu

Cloth diapering: your favorite prefolds?

BrookValley.

The title pretty much says it all. What are your favorite prefolds? Brand and/or source (I know some are not necessarily branded, but are rather generic Indian or Chinese prefolds--in that case, where did you buy them)? Bleached or unbleached? I need to add to my stash and I really want quality, SOFT prefolds. I have a good stash of larger sized bleached prefolds that have held up wonderful and are nice and soft. However, my infant sized prefolds are unbleached Indian prefolds from Cottontail Baby and they are horribly scratchy and rough. :( I want to get a couple dozen small ones for the newborn/teensy infant stage that will wash up nice and soft. Honestly, after going through my stash the other day I can't believe I diapered my son in those sandpaper-ish prefolds as a tiny infant. Yikes. I'm thinking new baby will appreciate it if I treat his bum a bit better. :laugh:

So far I've been eye-balling the Cloth-eez non-chlorine bleached prefolds from Green Mountain Diapers, which I have always heard are great, and the Imagine brand (either the bleached Indian prefolds or their bamboo/cotton blend variety) from Nicki's. I'll be using them primarily in Thirstie's wraps, if that information makes a difference to anyone. I might buy a couple Flips or Econobums from Cotton Babies to try, too, but I don't really *need* any more covers at this point.

Any opinions or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

I have older Chinese prefolds in various sizes. All of them are unbleached and pretty soft. I also have some newer unbleached Cloth-eez prefolds and they are also soft - though I'm disappointed that these have fallen apart much faster than my older prefolds. (they may end up in the rag pile before my much older prefolds)

OK, so I purchased a huge amount of GM prefolds and ended up sending what was left of them back for a full refund because they shredded - literally. Yet the cheaper ones I got off eBay years ago and have used for 3 babies previously were still in good condition. ??? GM was supposed to be the best of the best but it didn't turn out that way for me. I was very disappointed.

I just ordered a ton of Imagine bamboos, and they are very soft after prepping.

Immediately after ordering them, I learned in order to make even organic bamboo into cloth, nasty chemical processes are used. Well, that's fine I suppose, but since I'm paying for organic, of like to reduce the chemicals used in my diapers.

I'm ordering the rest of my prefolds from BabyKicks. They are hemp, and theire products are all gloriously and luxuriously soft. I order them from All About Baby Boutique in North Carolina.

I have GMD prefolds. Most are unbleached and not that soft. (though I've heard it could have aomething to do with the water) Just bought organic from them, and oh my goodness, it's SO soft! I didn't really think there'd be a difference in the product.

Thanks for the responses, ladies. I wonder if our water has something to do with my unbleached Indian prefolds being so rough? Hhhhmmmm. I thought the bleached would be softer because of my experience, but it seems like most have found the unbleached to be softer.

Interesting to know about the chemical process for bamboo cloth. I was really interested in the Imagine bamboo prefolds. They are sold out of the smaller sizes for the next 6-8 weeks, so that may be moot point anyway.

Off to look some more. Looks like I will probably be ok with the Cloth-eez from Green Mountain, if nothing else.

I just ordered a ton of Imagine bamboos, and they are very soft after prepping.

Immediately after ordering them, I learned in order to make even organic bamboo into cloth, nasty chemical processes are used. Well, that's fine I suppose, but since I'm paying for organic, of like to reduce the chemicals used in my diapers.

I'm ordering the rest of my prefolds from BabyKicks. They are hemp, and theire products are all gloriously and luxuriously soft. I order them from All About Baby Boutique in North Carolina.

Question about the hemp prefolds: in general I love hemp as a fabric, but I've never used diapers made with hemp. Does hemp tend to hold stink more than cotton?

LOL I literally just came from ordering from GMD...I am glad to hear that they are so well regarded! I used kissaluvs and indian prefolds for our other kids but had gotten rid of everything. It is kind of fun to start from scratch (well other then the kind hand me downs from a friend)! I ordered some of their workhorse dipes in NB and SM to try out with our new spring arrival.

For a newbie, what covers/closure type would you suggest?

I think Bummis wisper wraps with velcro closure are the easiest hands down.

I used oso cozy Indian bleached and unbleached from Nicki's. I also had newborn Chinese prefolds from Angel Bunz Green Diaper Store. Both were great--no problems with either of them. I recently gave them to a friend so as far as I know they are still going strong. My favorite covers were bummis and Thirsties.

For a newbie, what covers/closure type would you suggest?

Thirsties are my favorite covers (Velcro/aplix closure). I like Bummis, too, but Thirsties have double leg gussets and the PUL is thinner/softer/more flexible. Prefolds, snappis, and simple Velcro covers = easy peasy cheap cloth diapering!

I have used GMD, BabyKicks and Thirsties prefolds.

Thirsties (cotton/hemp jersey) prefolds are by far the softest. Also, they only come in 2 sizes (like the Thirsties duo covers) so you don't have to buy multiple sizes as your baby grows. Very absorbent, soft like a comfy tshirt, and not as bulky as regular prefolds. They work best tri-folded in a cover.

BabyKicks prefolds are super absorbent, but kind of stiff and not as soft as Thirsties. I love them stuffed in a pocket diaper for outings.

GMD are fine, but just your standard prefold IME.

I also use the Green Mountain prefolds. I have been happy with them, but I haven't used any other prefolds.

As far as covers: I have been very happy with the Flip covers by Cotton Babies. I just buy the covers, not the Flip system inserts and use them to cover prefolds or fitteds. They are a one size cover, but fit very well on both my skinny & my chunky baby at a variety of ages. They have been very durable through 2 children.

I have also used bummis Superbrites & Thirsties covers. I like the Bummis Superbrites they velcro has held up well through 2 children. I would caution that they newborn size is tiny. I liked the Thirsties Duo with snaps, but prefer the Flip's fit. The velcro on the Thirsties Duo with velcro wore out before my first child had outgrown the diaper. I used the extra small Thirsties covers I liked them a lot for my first child, but again the velcro wore out with my second child.