Menu

SOCIAL GROUP: Atheists, agnostics, free-thinkers, non-believers

Guest inoubliable

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh. There's a good one with almond flour... Let me see if I can find it.

Aha! http://thenourishinghome.com/2012/03/almond-flour-biscuits/

Yummy. Really good with herbs, too.

Those look yummy! I just have brown rice flour, rice flour, potato starch, and corn starch so far. I have a couple of bread recipes that call for millet flour and sorghum flour and those were going to be my next purchases and I think I'll add almond flour to the list.

Audrey, sometimes I miss having a handy dh. The ex built a high chair one day when our daughter tried to sit at the table and fell. He made her a dollhouse that looked kinda like our house. Oh, we'll, this one can hold a job and will have sex with me . . . .

Good luck Angela. And good luck amo . . .is this his first EEG? I hope they find something fixable.

I wish DH was more handy. I want someone to build me some bunkbeds and a playscape. Or fix the deck outside. I've actually considered taking some carpenter classes and buying some tools because I've seen so many DIY projects on the Internet. (I have no idea why my phone insists that Internet be capatilized. lol)

I've got about five kilos each of sorghum and millet. I've been wondering what to do with them. They'll sit there in my pantry making me happy until I get around to something. I soaked some sorghum in salad dressing the other day and that was tasty. I was making some dinner for my aunt and her boyfriend, but wasn't sure when they'd be home so I didn't want to pour the dressing over the top and have it go soggy. Next up will be sorghum and zucchini fritters, but my zucchinis aren't big enough yet, lol. I'm watching 'em. :sneaky2: :p

After years my 11yo finally consented to Little Women as a read aloud, but she's not happy with Marmee's preachy non-preaching at the end of every other chapter. She'd kinda like to hear the rest of at least Volume 1, but made sure I knew she is "secularizing and toning down the preachy bits on the fly" while I read. Ummmm, OK. :D I did suggest though that perhaps if she hand't read Pilgrim's Progress just because it was mentioned prominently in the first chapter (we have a perfectly fine kid's version of PP) she might not have such a harsh judgement of the book. :tongue_smilie: Then again, Jo was the only reason I was able to make it through the books at DD's age, and I'm not faring much better now.

Having read/re-read now about half of the classic "girl" books as an adult, well... I'm not sure I want to continue. What's left? Are there any left that won't turn my stomach? This is an occasional thing... not our main reading. There will be a paper in high school about the depiction of girls in "girl" books, but DDs don't know that yet.

We've done:

Anne of Green Gables, the books before marriage

Story Girl and The Golden Road

A Little Princess, The Secret Garden (but no one liked Little Lord Fauntleroy)

What Katy Did

Little Women

Caddie Woodlawn

Little House

Moffats/All-of-a-Kind Family

Not done but in the house:

Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm

Pollyanna

Five Little Peppers (but this one isn't going to happen)

Heidi

What are you looking for in a "girls" book? What about the others turns your stomach? Need more info to make suggestions.

The Avalon series has women characters that fight to rid themselves of the power men try to hold over women. However, there are scenes of murder, rape, and consensual sex so not for young girls.

i'm really curious why you are torturing your children with outdated, sexist literature? i mean, i read many of those and loved them, but i wouldnt push them on someone? but then again, i dont value comparative literary analysis to slog through unpleasant reading. we mostly read science fiction and fantasy here.

i'm really curious why you are torturing your children with outdated, sexist literature? i mean, i read many of those and loved them, but i wouldnt push them on someone? but then again, i dont value comparative literary analysis to slog through unpleasant reading. we mostly read science fiction and fantasy here.

Will respond later... Facing a morning of GS cookie sales. :D

The only "girls" book I read as a girl was Heidi. I never even read any Little House books. I have a general knowledge of Pollyanna (and know what it is to be a Pollyanna and have even been accused of being one), The Secret Garden, and Little Women, but have never read them. I turned out just fine. It's okay to not read girls books. :)

I wish DH was more handy. I want someone to build me some bunkbeds and a playscape. Or fix the deck outside. I've actually considered taking some carpenter classes and buying some tools because I've seen so many DIY projects on the Internet. (I have no idea why my phone insists that Internet be capatilized. lol)

Because Internet is a proper noun. ;)

DH is handy, but we're always too short on time to get into any fun projects. Mostly he builds me chicken pens, which *I* consider fun. Him, not so much! We would like to build a new kitchen table and a headboard for our bed; maybe one day. Have you ever browsed around www.ana-white.com? Talk about motivate you to get down with the power tools and do some major DIY!

Because Internet is a proper noun. ;)

DH is handy, but we're always too short on time to get into any fun projects. Mostly he builds me chicken pens, which *I* consider fun. Him, not so much! We would like to build a new kitchen table and a headboard for our bed; maybe one day. Have you ever browsed around www.ana-white.com? Talk about motivate you to get down with the power tools and do some major DIY!

I absolutely love ana-white.com. I've saved so many projects from there on my computer, for once we move back to the west coast and I can actually start making stuff. :)

Because some of those books are a part of our historical culture. It's important to be literate in the literature of one's culture (and of other cultures) whether it makes for "fun" reading or not. I'm reading through a children's bible with my dc not because it's fun but because it's important for them to know and understand the stories of the Bible. I can't really think of a more outdated and sexist book than the Bible and yet we're reading it. Not all things education or important are going to be fun or even all that interesting. I remember in my college lit courses I was completely missing most Bible references, and it reflected poorly in my academic performance. I'm not going to let that happen to my kids.

Now, are there books one can skip? Absolutely. Yet I think it's important to try and hit the big ones. I consider Little Women to be a big one. One could skip all the sequels and other books by Alcott.

I remember that Island of the Blue Dolphin really depressed me. I liked Pippi Longstocking as a kid, but can't recall any of them.

Astrid Lindgren is more than just Pippi. I'd put Ronia the Robber's Daughter in the must read category, and the Noisy Village books for youngers... and her Karlsson/Karlson books are almost as amusing as Pippi :D

I hated Little House, and refused to read them to my kids. I do not understand the popularity of them on the boards here. I had a wonderful time reading A Little Princess and The Secret Garden to my stepdaghter years ago, and she named her pet mouse Melchizadek from A Little Princess.

My 8yo and I had an interesting conversation about A Little Princess. She likened the book to Roald Dahl because it, in many ways, seems more revenge fantasy than about personal growth (I'm paraphrasing a bit there... but not much). After I wrapped my head around what she was trying to say, I had to agree. Sara didn't really develop in the book, she was already a perfect little grown-up. It was all about how people saw her and how her innate goodness shone through to "good" people. The reader wants her wealth to be restored as much to see Miss Minchin's comeuppance as to see Sara in comfort. One gets the feeling Sara would have been perfectly happy in any non-abusive situation. She also sussed out the class contrasts between Sara, Becky, and the beggar child and their respective "happy" ends. I was pretty impressed.

Have you read Island of the Blue Dolphins? How about Julie of the Wolves?

She's read the Julie books, actually everything by Jean Craighead George.

Because some of those books are a part of our historical culture. It's important to be literate in the literature of one's culture (and of other cultures) whether it makes for "fun" reading or not. I'm reading through a children's bible with my dc not because it's fun but because it's important for them to know and understand the stories of the Bible. I can't really think of a more outdated and sexist book than the Bible and yet we're reading it. Not all things education or important are going to be fun or even all that interesting. I remember in my college lit courses I was completely missing most Bible references, and it reflected poorly in my academic performance. I'm not going to let that happen to my kids.

Now, are there books one can skip? Absolutely. Yet I think it's important to try and hit the big ones. I consider Little Women to be a big one. One could skip all the sequels and other books by Alcott.

This is my feeling. It's more complicated than to say "this good," that bad." Jo doesn't marry Laurie. Anne overcomes tremendous obstacles to get an education. Mary Lennox doesn't learn her place by becoming humble or pious, but rather she becomes part of something bigger, connecting to life itself. And while I want my daughters to grow up strong feminists, I also want them to appreciate that women before feminism were not weaker, their work not trivial or without value. But even then, it's relative: It did not escape DD's notice that the poor March family in Little Women have domestic help and that the 15 and 16yo girls couldn't cook to save their lives because they'd never had to. :)

What are you looking for in a "girls" book? What about the others turns your stomach? Need more info to make suggestions.

The Avalon series has women characters that fight to rid themselves of the power men try to hold over women. However, there are scenes of murder, rape, and consensual sex so not for young girls.

I'm thinking more "classic" girls books. We have no shortage of books, modern and not-quite-so modern, with strong, clever, resourceful, and even happily single :D women. I like these as an occasional read-aloud because of the discussion they spark, but I think at this point we've had enough of confusing salt for sugar or putting sawdust in pudding. Next up (eventually) is A Strong and Willing Girl, though not exactly a "classic" classic.

Have you ever browsed around www.ana-white.com? Talk about motivate you to get down with the power tools and do some major DIY!

Oh my. Dh is always looking for something to make with his power tools. I just sent him a link to that site.

While I generally agree and think it's sometimes good to have the whole picture, I also think our kids will have it easier. They're just a click away from finding out what a specific reference means. I won't make ds read the bible (and he'd fight me all the way if I did), but I do expect him to know certain biblical references.

This is my feeling. It's more complicated than to say "this good," that bad." Jo doesn't marry Laurie. Anne overcomes tremendous obstacles to get an education. Mary Lennox doesn't learn her place by becoming humble or pious, but rather she becomes part of something bigger, connecting to life itself. And while I want my daughters to grow up strong feminists, I also want them to appreciate that women before feminism were not weaker, their work not trivial or without value. But even then, it's relative: It did not escape DD's notice that the poor March family in Little Women have domestic help and that the 15 and 16yo girls couldn't cook to save their lives because they'd never had to. :)

I agree, and let's not forget that literature is not just stories. Literature is written in a time, and is reflective of that time -- even if it is speculative science fiction / fantasy. ;) An author is influenced by his culture, by his cultural history and by his environment. Literature reflects that. We study history so that we can see from whence we've come. Literature does that job no less, albeit in a different guise. Read "outdated, sexist" literature to see how far we have (or haven't) progressed, to compare the progress of other cultures to our own, and to examine the history of the imaginative landscape of humanity in general. There is so much more to be gleaned from a book than "a good story."

Hi. My name is DR, and I hate science. There I said it. I hate everything about it from messy experiments to confusing concepts to helping my boys do their first science fair project. They can't even pick out a topic. Everything I suggest is a "no".

I have a degree in English Literature. It's nearly the polar opposite of any science field. I even have a hard time with most science fiction that doesn't involve a werewolf, vampire, or faeries. I love the *idea* of science. I love Hawking, Einstein, Tyson, Sagan. I love watching science shows. I can't stand the actual learning.

I think it's the (lack of) curriculum. I want something that easy to teach, organized, with teacher's guides that are easy to use. I want something with a script. Here. This is what you say. This is what you ask. This is what you discuss. We're using CK12 right now. It's *OK* better than anything else I've used. But, I still feel stupid. And thank goodness my oldest is freaking brilliant. He teaches himself and knows far more than I do already. I throw the reading at him. *Try* to do some experiements with both of them; show the younger vids on Happy Scientist and read library books with him. I just go to sleep at the end of the week feeling like it isn't enough.

I feel like I'm failing. Sure, I rock literature, history, writing, art history, grammar, even Latin. Math I handle up through algebra and hire out for the rest.

My chest is tight. I'm sweating. I'm feeling panicky at the very idea of this science fair in 6 weeks. I know my kids need this experience. I don't wanna. I just don't wanna. The whole thing makes me want to puke.

And I'm freaking out about even looking for next year's curriculum. I'm usually done by this time. Everything is purchased and I'm starting to get organized. Not this year. I do realize some of it is depression. I just lost my dad. My oldest is going to be in 8th grade and we're not homeschooling for 9th. So, I'm sad it'll be our last year and subconsciously I figure if I don't get the curriculum, time won't move forward, right? Right?!

I don't know the point of this post. I guess I want someone to talk me off the ledge. I want an excellent curriculum that does not teach that dinosaurs and people lived at the same time. And I want someone else to teach it. And I need to figure out how to get my kids excited about this science fair. I'm great at faking it, but......

right . . . if your kids dont hate reading. my daughter could have gotten in to that. my boys? um, probably not

It's a different tact to take than "here, read this because it's good for you and I say so." You do have to read some books, but you don't have to read them as just another story. Look for cultural/historical clues. Postulate on how lame the characters are in their time and why you would/wouldn't do the things they did. Some things are good for pointing out the idiocy in the world (like any Jane Austen :rolleyes: ). Clue in to that, or to other themes. Reading critically can be like a detective exercise. You don't have to love the book, but you do have to get to the bottom of what it's trying to say/be/do. Science fiction/fantasy is great, but you are seriously missing out on so much subtext in pretty much any given piece of SF if you don't have some basic literary knowledge -- which comes from the classics.

You don't know what they'll like... heck THEY don't know what they'll like until they give it a shot. As they get older, it really doesn't matter if they like their assignments or not. There is a buttload of stuff you have to do to get by that you don't like to do. At some point, kids need to learn that their education isn't always about what they want to do or what they like to do. This is the hard part of homeschooling... making them stretch their intellectual comfort zones -- pushing them to do the things you know they should do and that, given proper effort, you know they can do.

I tell my kid this every times he complains: Life isn't a cakewalk, Bucko. Neither is this homeschool.

Hi. My name is DR, and I hate science. There I said it. I hate everything about it from messy experiments to confusing concepts to helping my boys do their first science fair project. They can't even pick out a topic. Everything I suggest is a "no".

I have a degree in English Literature. It's nearly the polar opposite of any science field. I even have a hard time with most science fiction that doesn't involve a werewolf, vampire, or faeries. I love the *idea* of science. I love Hawking, Einstein, Tyson, Sagan. I love watching science shows. I can't stand the actual learning.

I think it's the (lack of) curriculum. I want something that easy to teach, organized, with teacher's guides that are easy to use. I want something with a script. Here. This is what you say. This is what you ask. This is what you discuss. We're using CK12 right now. It's *OK* better than anything else I've used. But, I still feel stupid. And thank goodness my oldest is freaking brilliant. He teaches himself and knows far more than I do already. I throw the reading at him. *Try* to do some experiements with both of them; show the younger vids on Happy Scientist and read library books with him. I just go to sleep at the end of the week feeling like it isn't enough.

I feel like I'm failing. Sure, I rock literature, history, writing, art history, grammar, even Latin. Math I handle up through algebra and hire out for the rest.

My chest is tight. I'm sweating. I'm feeling panicky at the very idea of this science fair in 6 weeks. I know my kids need this experience. I don't wanna. I just don't wanna. The whole thing makes me want to puke.

And I'm freaking out about even looking for next year's curriculum. I'm usually done by this time. Everything is purchased and I'm starting to get organized. Not this year. I do realize some of it is depression. I just lost my dad. My oldest is going to be in 8th grade and we're not homeschooling for 9th. So, I'm sad it'll be our last year and subconsciously I figure if I don't get the curriculum, time won't move forward, right? Right?!

I don't know the point of this post. I guess I want someone to talk me off the ledge. I want an excellent curriculum that does not teach that dinosaurs and people lived at the same time. And I want someone else to teach it. And I need to figure out how to get my kids excited about this science fair. I'm great at faking it, but......

I'm sorry about your dad. I lost my mom soon after my youngest was born and it was pretty rough. I couldn't even tell you what I'd decided to do curriculum-wise at that point.

I don't have any advice about the science fair. I know that robotics is all the rage anymore, but I don't know anything about what would be acceptable.

I can tell you exactly what I'd do for science next year. I would get this Labpaq (or something similar, Labpaq used to have more information, but it looks like you have to actually ask for it now; that's annoying) and I would click on nmoira's LibraryThing link at the bottom of her signature. Then click on Science: Reading Course under Collections. This will require a library and/or a generous budget, but worth it. We've by know means got even through a third of them (and my dd's a reader), but the knowledge that I've gained just from a few dozen is staggering. We're utilizing the Reading Course for this year and next, plus quite a bit of physics (it's been sorely neglected the previous years), then I can let her do Chemistry and Biology at the CC later on. But, I can't stress how good this list is. If I didn't like her so much I'd be annoyed that she hadn't put it together when her oldest was in K, just so I could've gotten a head start on it. :p I have my youngest still, though. :)

My science knowledge was a bit like yours. I knew the Who's Who, and a few important general knowledge type things, but that list really helped with my literacy on the subject.

desert rat, i have my kids mostly reading for science. we spend time doing experiments over the summer. i love science, but i hate all the curriculum i've tried (except for Hakim's books, but i didnt use the guides, so it wasnt really curriculum) and i'm eh with experiments. i have a hard time fitting them in to the day, so summer we do lighter school and experiments.

Audrey, please dont try to tell me how i should run my homeschool. My kids are 2E and i work hard to find a way that works for us.

Hi :) So - I've been reading (most) of this thread and I'm still not sure if I am in the right place, lol :) I'm a deist - many times deists self identify as "free-thinkers" having "reason-based belief" in a deity of some kind. "Free-thinkers" is part of the group name here, but I'm thinking ya'll don't mean the kind associated with deism? I know someone mentioned an "alternative spirituality" group on the Chat Board, but I usually have more in common with purely secular/atheist home schoolers than I do with the alternate spirituality types - even though I get along great with anyone from either group. That being said, I can certainly relate to tall the wiccans/witches posting here :) Anyway - would y'all mind if I hang out?

Guest inoubliable

Hi :) So - I've been reading (most) of this thread and I'm still not sure if I am in the right place, lol :) I'm a deist - many times deists self identify as "free-thinkers" having "reason-based belief" in a deity of some kind. "Free-thinkers" is part of the group name here, but I'm thinking ya'll don't mean the kind associated with deism? I know someone mentioned an "alternative spirituality" group on the Chat Board, but I usually have more in common with purely secular/atheist home schoolers than I do with the alternate spirituality types - even though I get along great with anyone from either group. That being said, I can certainly relate to tall the wiccans/witches posting here :) Anyway - would y'all mind if I hang out?

Don't mind at all. :)

desert rat, i have my kids mostly reading for science. we spend time doing experiments over the summer. i love science, but i hate all the curriculum i've tried (except for Hakim's books, but i didnt use the guides, so it wasnt really curriculum) and i'm eh with experiments. i have a hard time fitting them in to the day, so summer we do lighter school and experiments.

Audrey, please dont try to tell me how i should run my homeschool. My kids are 2E and i work hard to find a way that works for us.

There wasn't any intention to tell you how to run your homeschool. The discussion was about a need for classics or not. You tossed out there that those who hate to read won't go for it. I tossed out there a few ways to nudge those kinds of kids along and furthered my position on why reading classics is still a necessity. My post was part of the larger discussion, as I assume yours was. It's not personal. Don't read so much into things. It was meant as a general idea for anyone reading the discussion, not a personal prescription for just you.

Take or leave it.

Hey guys-I just wanted to jump in and ask you for some good thoughts tomorrow morning. I should be in surgery for the hysterectomy at about 8. Let's hope the mass is nothing serious, and that my husband doesn't worry himself to too much waiting for it to be finished. My blood pressure is much better, and I have one Xanax pill to take this evening to calm me down. I should be home on Friday. I don't know if this tiny hospital will have interet available, so I may be spending the next couple days playing Fruit Ninja and reading boring magazines. See you Saturday!

You know you've got my good thoughts. :grouphug:

I hear you on the science, DR. I am using Oak Meadow for Science, but I think it only really works well if you're doing it for the 4 middle years so you get the sequence of Enviro Science, Life Science, Earth Science, Physical Science. IMO, it doesn't matter what order you do them, though, so if you just want to pick one that you think he needs most, you could go with that, if you think it might work for you. They do have samples on their website if you're interested. This page gets you to all the grades and then click through for samples for each grade.

Galore Park has a good 2 book science program too. Book 2 would be appropriate for grade 8. You can check it out here. They even now have it as a download if that's easier, but I know you can get it through Book Depository, too, with free shipping.

Guest inoubliable

Posting here because it feels safer.

My sister did end up going in for surgery. Today. This morning.

She called me yesterday. We talked for a few minutes. I wasn't supposed to know, but our mother had already told everyone she knew. My sister was angry that everyone at her work knew, friends that she didn't want to bother with knew, distant relatives knew, people she didn't know where posting on her FB wall about keeping her in their prayer circle. I said that I was sorry to hear she was having this particular health crisis. I offered to take my nephews for the weekend so that she could continue to recover (since the week was already taken care of by various family members). She said she'd let me know. She asked me if I'd take in her children if she doesn't make it. I said that I would, of course. She discussed custody issues. I said that I wasn't sure which version she got from my mom but that I did care and that I did hope she came through the operation just fine and that I would keep her in my thoughts. It was a nice conversation. We're not friends. We're barely sisters. But we each understand that and it's mutual. I didn't want her to go into her surgery with anger and/or hate, or thinking that I was projecting that towards her.

I just heard from her boyfriend. She should have been out of surgery two hours ago. No one will tell them anything. I am starting to worry. She was having some "sludge" rotor rooted out of the vein in her leg, and then the surgeon was going back in to put a stent in to keep it from collapsing in the future. She said the doctor told her the surgery was risky enough that she should make phone calls and update personal affects over the weekend. If the vein is nicked, or a clot breaks loose, it is an almost certainty that she will not survive the surgery. Her boyfriend is still texting. Her children weren't told about how serious this is. He sounds worried.

That's all. I just needed to get that out.

Guest inoubliable

Quickly, and I am so sorry that I can't use all the lovely and big words that I'd planned to (I'm right smack in the middle of furious texting between myself and boyfriend-in-law), CPO and Galore Park. I've heard great things about both. CPO, in particular, is beautiful from what I've seen on the web.

Guest inoubliable

Good news! I just got a text from the boyfriend. My sister is out of surgery just now and being taken to recovery. They'll see her in 30 minutes. I'll call her tonight to see how she's doing. Relieved.

Funny bit about her phone call yesterday. I missed her call, actually. I don't usually carry my cell phone on me, especially on weekends since DH is home anyway. So I hear the tell-tale beep of a missed call, see that it's her, and call her back. She answers and I say, "Sorry I missed your call. I was in church. What's going on?". She must have sat in complete silence for about 20 seconds before she said "No shit? Church??". I could barely keep from laughing while I spit out, "Of course not, just messing with you. What's up?" She said she almost hung up on me because she thought she must have the wrong number.

She's okay. My nephews will not have a loss today. This makes me happy.