Menu

They're cutting down the woods behind my house :(

Kathryn

The electric company is taking advantage of their right of way and completely demolishing the small forest area behind our house. I'm so sad. My son used to wake up early to see the bunnies hopping around our backyard at dawn. He saw a doe and fawn eating wild blackberries from his bedroom window. We only had to go to our backyard to go bird watching for a variety of beautiful songbirds. All gone in a matter of days. :(

Oh no, I'm so sorry. :( I completely understand how you feel. We have a good amount of wooded acreage, and our property used to be surrounded completely by forest, too. But over the last 10 or so years the land on one side of us has been cleared to make way for a subdivision. They actually left the lots pretty wooded, which was nice, but now they're building on the lot closest to us/our barn/our house and they built literally 10 feet off the property line--so while there was a nice buffer between neighbors in that neighborhood, and between those houses and us, now there is none between us and this closest house. I know they're not doing anything wrong and it is their property to do with as they wish, but it is still really sad to see all those trees come down.

This topic gets me so fired up. Everywhere I look, they're getting rid of forests for shopping plazas, houses, etc. Then everyone complains about all the animals coming on their property. Where are they suppose to go if we're taking their homes from them?? I have a pretty good sized wooded area around me, but unfortunately it belongs to my neighbor. I just about cried when he said he was going to take down a lot of the trees so his kids could ride their snowmobiles, four-wheelers, etc.

Out by me, everyone moves here to "get away" from it all, yet year after year it's becoming more and more what they wanted to get away from. It just makes me sad to see so much unnecessary development going on everywhere. :(

This topic gets me so fired up. Everywhere I look, they're getting rid of forests for shopping plazas, houses, etc. Then everyone complains about all the animals coming on their property. Where are they suppose to go if we're taking their homes from them?? I have a pretty good sized wooded area around me, but unfortunately it belongs to my neighbor. I just about cried when he said he was going to take down a lot of the trees so his kids could ride their snowmobiles, four-wheelers, etc.

Out by me, everyone moves here to "get away" from it all, yet year after year it's becoming more and more what they wanted to get away from. It just makes me sad to see so much unnecessary development going on everywhere. :(

:( is right.

It's a strip of woods about 100 yards wide and a third of a mile long that runs parallel to our neighborhood and between two sets of power lines. I suspect that they figured chopping the whole thing down would be cheaper in the long run than having people out here twice a year every year trimming the trees.

I wish our power company would do that! We've had more than nine outages this winter (neighbours have had 18+) due to wet, heavy snow-laden trees coming down on the line. And it's probably not over yet, since all that dead, dry wood will now be lying directly under the power line come forest fire season.

In our case, however, this would still leave plenty of wilderness to be enjoyed. I'm sorry to hear you're losing your only woods.

I hate that when it happens!

I came home one day to find that the property behind us was bought and being logged...wouldn't have been so bad if they hadn't taken two of my very large pine trees from my property (they knew exactly what they were doing too). Those two were worth good money to them. I pitched a royal fit after walking back there to ask them what they heck they were doing logging my property. They ended up cleaning up all the big dead trees still standing back there as a way to satisfy me, but it was still lowdown. About half of the width of my property in the back is open and it stinks. I like having the trees as a break. So now I'm attempting to get my other hardwoods to grow up there instead. Hopefully they'll fill in well once they are established.

:grouphug: I've experienced this several times. The most recent was last year, when our neighbor decided to cut down all the mature blackberry bushes that lined our driveway. They were the border between the road and his yard, so technically on his side. He had grand plans of clearing that area to plant fruit trees, expand his garden, etc. Of course, all he did was allow terrible tall weeds and thin ugly trees to grow in their place. Now no blackberries, and ugly nuisance weeds and invasive trees instead. :cursing:

I am so sorry.

Maybe you could scatter some stubborn wildflower seeds (they will have to compete with all the alien weeds that come up now that the tree cover is gone--so you will have to pick stuff that will definitely come up). You could have a meadow in the backyard instead of a wood. On the bright side, meadows attract a lot of butterflies and praying mantids and bunnies!

http://www.prairienursery.com/store/#.UPRzgqU1ZFI

Sorry you are loosing the woods but WE are those people to our neighbors.

We had a small horse hobby farm and the state took it to put a highway through. That meant we were forced to move and there was NOTHING for sale in our township in our price range set up for horses. We ended up buying a nice house on 5 acres but it was mostly wooded. We have to clear about 3 acres of it so that we could build the barn and have horse pastures. We did try to leave up a 50 foot buffer all around the property lines.

One neighbor was NOT happy with us as HE had cut down all of his trees to the property line and was dependant on our trees for HIS privacy. Sorry but we were forced into moving and this was the only place we could afford on what the state gave us where we could still have horses.

That sucks. :( I don't know why people are always so anxious to get rid of every tree in sight.

Where I grew up, there was a huge forest across the road from my house. Apparently, it had been my great-great-great-something's property, and he left it to the city on the condition that they leave it basically untouched. I grew up playing in it.

Last I heard, my grandma decided to sue the city to get the property back, saying they hadn't "properly cared for it," or some such nonsense. Why did she want it? So she could cut down everything and develop it and make a ton of money. :banghead: I haven't been back there or spoken to that half of my family in years, so I don't know what ever came of it all, but argh. Way to honor our great-great-great-whatever's wishes.

It's like people don't realize that trees make air or something.

We have been in a 3 year legal battle with our electric company. They have ABSOLUTELY NO written right of way agreement filed anywhere.

They went down our road leveling all of the huge trees instead of just trimming them because that saves them so much money in maintenance.

We were prepared, and never let them on our property, but that just made them more mad, so now it is personal.

They know they have no right to cut down trees at all, but get their way because other people don't know their rights, or they just give in to bullying.

Well I won't give in to bullies.