Menu

Uhhhhh....

ravinlunachick

I've managed to sit on my fingers for a few weeks, as this email has come repeatedly from our Girl Scout Council. I can't stand it any longer, so I thought I'd share here with people who'll probably be equally appalled, LOL.

Come celebrate World Thinking Day! In celebration of 100 years of Girl Scouts each participating

Troop will pick a US State or Territory, research it, present a display table, and have available a food

or craft for participants to enjoy. Scouts will have the opportunity to explore and learn , sample food

and make crafts that represent the other states selected that are part of our great Nation. Fee includes

participation patch.

No, that's pretty much it, swellmomma. The heading on the flyer (and the subject on the email!) is "International Day." :glare:

But don'tcha know that the only really important place in the world is the US and all the other countries are wannabes so focusing only on the US makes sense.

(totally tongue in cheek guys)

Can somebody tell me why the leadership of so many national organizations seem to think the only people in the world are Americans? I spend a lot of time reminding 4-H Council of this same phenomena.

Apparently, only Americans think???????

Good gravy. This would be a prime opportunity to learn something about "other people in the world" because they do actually exist.

Faith

Reply to the email ASAP and point out the error.

World Thinking Day is supposed to have an international focus.

Maybe someone had a MAJOR oops! Moment but that doesn't mean the program should go on without the world focus.

It wouldn't be hard for participants to change from a state to a country.

Be a sister to every Girl Scout!

Can somebody tell me why the leadership of so many national organizations seem to think the only people in the world are Americans? I spend a lot of time reminding 4-H Council of this same phenomena.

Apparently, only Americans think???????

Good gravy. This would be a prime opportunity to learn something about "other people in the world" because they do actually exist.

Faith

In this case, it is not the organization. World thinking day has a world focus. It sounds like an error at a much lower level, council or service unit level.

yeah, i said above it might be a big OOPS!

something should be said and the focus changed to the original intent, on the troops in other countries.

Agreed. If it is a mistake, I bet they are pretty embarrassed about how it sounds and they would want to fix it.

GS World Thinking Day is not about learning about the world. It's more about the idea that GS allover the world are using that forum to learn about something new on that day. For us every year the Think Day celebration has a different theme, the environment, eras in history, hobbies, etc and each troop does a presentation centered around that theme. It sounds like this year your council (or service unit's) theme is the US.

which part that it is world thinking day and they are focusing only on the various states rather than each troop chosing a country to research instead? Or something else that I am missing?

like the "international school" in our district that only offers french and german for foreign languages. . . .

they did offer territories.

GS World Thinking Day is not about learning about the world. It's more about the idea that GS allover the world are using that forum to learn about something new on that day. For us every year the Think Day celebration has a different theme, the environment, eras in history, hobbies, etc and each troop does a presentation centered around that theme. It sounds like this year your council (or service unit's) theme is the US.

This exactly!

Last year our troop studied the 1930's. If this is coming from a local council, they have probably chosen the nation that these girls live in to study. There is nothing wrong with learning about the states and territories. The amount of Geography/Social studies kids get in PS is pitiful. I would assume a council based in a different country could possibly choose their own country to learn about as well. It's not about thinking America is the greatest to learn about your own nation.

World Thinking Day is pretty simple: girls think about girl scouts in other parts of the world.

From gs website:

Thinking Day was first created in 1926 at the fourth Girl Guide/Girl Scout International Conference held at Girl Scouts of the USA's Camp Edith Macy (now called Edith Macy Conference Center). Conference attendees decided that there should be a special day for Girl Scouts and Girl Guides from around the world to "think" of each other and give thanks and appreciation to their "sister" Girl Scouts. The delegates chose February 22 as the date for Thinking Day because it was the mutual birthday of Lord Baden-Powell, founder of the Boy Scout movement, and his wife, Olave, who served as World Chief Guide.

It makes sense to me that if you are going to have young girls think of each other and give thanks for each other, you'd teach them about each other, ie: what it is like where they live, etc.

It makes sense to me that if you are going to have young girls think of each other and give thanks for each other, you'd teach them about each other, ie: what it is like where they live, etc.

I agree.

I don't think this is a typo, because the same information has come in slightly different forms from a few different sources. I do think it's the result of someone simply, sadly, being incredibly clueless. I mean, the name of the event is "International Day." Part of me would like to hit Reply All and send a definition of the word international.

Not to worry. I'll vent anonymously and just do something more relevant with my Brownies. ;)

I agree.

I don't think this is a typo, because the same information has come in slightly different forms from a few different sources. I do think it's the result of someone simply, sadly, being incredibly clueless. I mean, the name of the event is "International Day." Part of me would like to hit Reply All and send a definition of the word international.

Not to worry. I'll vent anonymously and just do something more relevant with my Brownies. ;)

That sounds good.

And get a World Thinking Day Patch. Most brownies I know love their patches!

Uh, no. - http://www.worldthinkingday.org/en/news/22022

Now the Thinking Day Song is floating in my head :laugh:

"

Thinking Day Song

Hey! Hey! Hey! It's thinking day!

All over the world, it's thinking day.

In Mexico, It's thinking day!

In Switzerland, It's thinking day!

In Canada, It's thinking day!

All over the world, it's thinking day.

"

I was a Girl Guide 1985~88 and than a Trefoil Guild member.

Part of Thinking Day is about comaraderie with fellow Girl Scouts and Girl Guides around the world.

• 1 month later...