Menu

How would you file this?

Melissa in Australia

55 members have voted

1. 1. How would you file the receipt for an electric toothbrush?

• Under T for toothbrush
    • Under R for receipt
    • Under W for warranty
    • Under Z because that spot always has lots of space
    • look, there goes a flying pig

DH and I have completely different ways of filing important papers, resulting in neither of us being able to find things that the other has filed.

Just for fun

How would you file the receipt for an expensive electric toothbrush?

We are filing it because we will need the receipt if we need to make a warranty claim.

Poll to follow

I have a spot for instructions and receipts for appliances and things. It's subdivided into Outside, Kitchen/Laundry and Other, so the electric toothbrush receipt would go in the Other file. In our household, the paperwork pretty much just goes where I want it, because I do the filing. If my other half needs a document, he asks me to get it out.

My filing system isn't as detailed as that. I have several files for receipts. No order. I do think most of the sports equipment or kayak stuff is in one file. Otherwise it's just filled with any receipt offering a warranty. I go through it yearly to see if we still own the item or if it's past the warranty offer. Otherwise it's all together. Less files to buy. Doesn't take but a minute to go through to find something.

DH and I have completely different ways of filing important papers, resulting in neither of us being able to find things that the other has filed.

Just for fun

How would you file the receipt for an expensive electric toothbrush?

We are filing it because we will need the receipt if we need to make a warranty claim.

Poll to follow

Can I encourage you and your dh to consider going paperless on this front? If you did and you chose wisely, you could get a powerful search engine that would bring up this receipt no matter where it was filed.

I suggest http://evernote.com/

I chose flying pig.

I don't file alphabetically. It would go in the Receipts & Warranties folder - which is actually a page protector, because I also file using binders, instead of a filing cabinet or drawer - except for user manuals, they are in a filing drawer under Electronics, Appliances, Toys, etc. :)

If it's an expensive item for which I may need to submit a warranty claim in the future, I staple the receipt to the papers that came with the item and put it in a bin with all of my owner's manuals.

All other receipts get filed by date in an accordion folder with pockets marked January to December. At the start of each month, I shred the receipts in that month's pocket from the previous year.

Our filing system isn't alphabetical like that. We have a separate folder for receipts we want to save. We have another folder for major appliance paperwork, etc.

Same here. I did select "R" for receipts, but this is actually how we do it. Our files are alphabetical in the cabinet, but they are all categories, not letters of the alphabet.