Menu

If you called your mother and all she said was...

Blueridge

I'd give her the benefit of the doubt. If my mom did that, I'd know something was up. She answered the phone only because it was me. She's answered the phone for me when she's had a houseful of guests, so the "I'll call you back" wouldn't phase me.

My mom will answer her phone no matter WHAT she is doing. I have tried to explain to her it is ok to not take a call...but she isn't capable of letting it go to VM.

My mom will answer her phone no matter WHAT she is doing. I have tried to explain to her it is ok to not take a call...but she isn't capable of letting it go to VM.

:iagree: My mom does the same thing! I can't understand why she doesn't just leave it and call back later, but she HAS to answer the thing. I get that reply a LOT! LOL

From the OP, it seems like mom put the emphasis on the word YOU. Which to me, changes the whole meaning/tone from "I'm busy and I'll call you back later", to "I've got a piece of my mind to give YOU, missy, and you'll be hearing it soon!"

Honestly, if it were me, I'd probably not answer the phone when she called, and hope that she left some clue as to what I had done in the voicemail she would hopefully leave. But I'm chicken like that. :D

Funny...she didn't call back yesterday, which hurt my feelings, but 30 minutes ago she called to say hello. I asked her if everything was alright and she said she was just too busy. Yes, she regularly puts the busyness of things and other people above her family. So I really wasn't surprised, but the hanging up was over the top. Anyway, I blew it off and was nice. I don't want regrets in the future. But if she hangs up on me again, boy... :boxing_smiley: :D .

I would assume she is busy doing something where she can't talk to you: getting out of the shower, having company, hearing the timer go off in the kitchen...

I would wait for her to call back later as she said she would.

I do not take it personally if my mom has things going on in her life that do not involve me, and if she can't drop what she is doing when I call unexpectedly. Neither does she.

My mom did that to me recently. I discovered that she was/had been crying. She was better and thought she could talk, but discovered suddenly that she could not without breaking into tears. She has chronic pain. I know she's depressed, but she is unwilling to admit it. It would be admitting she isn't in control which is something that she is never "out of " to hear her talk. So...I'd let it go or investigate further. Maybe when she calls back you can ask her if something interesting was going on. I told my mom that I knew she was crying and that it didn't bother me and we could talk about it. She replied that she doesn't like to talk when she is feeling weepy. Older parents can be incredibly frustrating especially when we just want to help.

..."I'll have to call YOU back later" and then she abruptly hung up the phone...what would you do? I realize that she is old and cranky, but still...'Merry Christmas dear Mom' doesn't want to spring from my lips. :glare:

Well, there could be a number of reasons.

Maybe something was on the stove boiling over.

Maybe she's upset about something and just can't talk right now.

You won't know until you ask.