Menu

scared me half to death

swellmomma

It has been 3 hours and I think my heart has finally stopped racing. So tonight dd5 comes to tell me the kitty cat bite the lamp cord in my room. I go to look, she had cut it with scissors. At first I scolded her for it and then I realized the cord was still plugged in and the end live. I got it unplugged and looked closer the end was all blackened where it had burnt. The wires had been so hot that the metal on the scissors she used was MELTED! there is a divot on the blad of both halves where the metal melted away.

Thankfully dd was not burned or shocked. But as soon as I saw the wire and those scissors I started shaking. The thoughts of what could have happened racing through my head.

I put the fear of God into her about this, not yelling or anything but making it clear she could have died. She fell asleep crying, feeling badly for cutting it, I gave her cuddles for a while but then let her cry. I was shaking so bad, I let her and went and sat with my bigs to watch "the help". I want her to feel badly about it so she never does that again. What the heck would I do without my little girl if something had happened to her?

Hug your kids a little tighter tonight that you and they survived another day of childish idiocy, and thank the angels for watching them so closely.

:grouphug: :grouphug:

What a close call!

Here in Australia all houses have a surge switch that would have instantly cut off all the electricity to the house. Though the voltage is way higher here (240)

The only thing I think that helped her is I only have 70 amp service going through the house, because it is a very old house and I have not been able to afford an electrician to come in and bring it up to 100amp service which is the typical. Although the power never went out and even that 1 switch never tripped I believe that kept it low enough to not electrocute her. I wish my house was wired such that the power would have flipped off. I am sure I will have nightmares tonight.

I found out from ds14 he is the one that forgot the scissors in there, he brought them in my room to wrap presents and left them there. I did not know they were there, I keep them in the kitchen where she can use them with supervision. Ds14 felt like carp all night with fear of what might have happened because he didn't put the scissors away (these were a pair of child scissors from out school drawer).

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I would have nightmares over that, too!!! :eek:

Thank God she's OK!

And I feel sorry for your ds, too, because he must feel awful! :(

He does. I have assured him he is not at fault. It is one of those things, he made a stupid mistake followed by her making a stupid mistake and thankfully that is all it was. He just wanted to wrap presents and never thought leaving the scissors(and tape and wrapping paper) etc in there would create such a problem. Like a typical youn boy there is no thoughts to stuff like that. I myself would not have thought she would do that, she is not one to typically randomly cut things, but all kids do of course. Only instead of hair she opted for a power cord.

Tonight he said "mom christmas would be ruined forever if she was hurt, we would never be okay again would we?" Nope we surely wouldn't.

The only thing I think that helped her is I only have 70 amp service going through the house, because it is a very old house and I have not been able to afford an electrician to come in and bring it up to 100amp service which is the typical. Although the power never went out and even that 1 switch never tripped I believe that kept it low enough to not electrocute her. I wish my house was wired such that the power would have flipped off. I am sure I will have nightmares tonight.

I found out from ds14 he is the one that forgot the scissors in there, he brought them in my room to wrap presents and left them there. I did not know they were there, I keep them in the kitchen where she can use them with supervision. Ds14 felt like carp all night with fear of what might have happened because he didn't put the scissors away (these were a pair of child scissors from out school drawer).

Do the scissors have plastic handles? I'm guessing so since they're kid scissors. That's what saved her. Ask me how I know...

I was the same age as your daughter and decided to stick my safety scissors into the electrical outlet. Boy howdy did I get in trouble.

The blades on the scissors were bent, too.

We had two pair of safety scissors; one with plastic handles, one without. Blessedly I picked the ones with.

Do the scissors have plastic handles? I'm guessing so since they're kid scissors. That's what saved her. Ask me how I know...

I was the same age as your daughter and decided to stick my safety scissors into the electrical outlet. Boy howdy did I get in trouble.

The blades on the scissors were bent, too.

We had two pair of safety scissors; one with plastic handles, one without. Blessedly I picked the ones with.

Yes they did have plastic handles. I think we only have 1 pair of old style kids scissors without them. The rest do. ANd you are right that is what insulated her from it. I just figured if the amp service was higher the handles would not have been enough kwim. DS9 being a young boy with no thought of how things are, says this morning "it's a good thing mom it wasn't our good scissors, I would be so mad if they had to go in the garbage" (the good scissors being our fiskars, the ones she used were just regular kid school scissors). Yeah son because that is my first thought when I see these ones (now he did give dd lots of attention last night happy she was okay, but by this morning he has moved on. If only it was that easy for parents eh.

I'm stunned that kids' scissors could cut through an electrical cord. The running joke around here is that those style scissors are the reason kids' artwork looks so goofy because they don't actually cut. They just kind of moosh the paper around.

You are buying the wrong kind then. We have had a couple pairs in the past that were like that, but generally my kids have nicer scissors than I do. Mostly fiskars but a couple pairs of staples brand, and a brand called "it's Academic" which actually have really nice handles and cut well. Now this was not a thick round cord either, but the flat kind with the line running down the middle, does that make sense? I am sure kids scissors would not have been able to cut through a round one. As it was this was a clean cut right through.

You are buying the wrong kind then. We have had a couple pairs in the past that were like that, but generally my kids have nicer scissors than I do. Mostly fiskars but a couple pairs of staples brand, and a brand called "it's Academic" which actually have really nice handles and cut well. Now this was not a thick round cord either, but the flat kind with the line running down the middle, does that make sense? I am sure kids scissors would not have been able to cut through a round one. As it was this was a clean cut right through.

Ha-ha, that's funny.

I thought the POINT of kids' scissors is for them to be safe enough for children...who sometimes use them in inapprorpriate ways.

Ha-ha, that's funny.

I thought the POINT of kids' scissors is for them to be safe enough for children...who sometimes use them in inapprorpriate ways.

No kidding. I am not sensing the safety part of safety scissors anymore lol, unless we count the plastic handle. In that case they still are :)

I had a similar experience when my oldest was much younger. Probably about 2. Maybe 3. She was in her room and took a metal hanger (I think that's what it was) and stuck it in the electrical outlet. It left black all the way up about 1 1/2 feet up the wall. Scared the pee out of me.

Just in case anyone is going to ask this... she took out the plug that was in the socket. ;) Smart girl that one.