Menu

Do LEGOS drop in price after Christmas??

kalanamak

Nope.

Prices rarely drop.

For some sets, prices appreciate. I think had I bought Lego sets rather than put money into retirement, I might be ahead...

You can occasionally find a good deal, but they really don't go on sale.

Guest inoubliable

Yep. Some sets will drop in price after the holidays. My kids usually get a gift certificate to Walmart or Target from my grandfather and Legos are usually what they purchase with it.

I've never seen Legos on clearance, even after Christmas when all the other toys are on clearance. However, they do go on sale at Target quite often. You won't save more than a few dollars, but every dollar counts, right? They sometimes have specials where you buy a bigger set ($50+) and you get a gift card ($5-10) back. In November Target also had coupons for $5 off $30+ legos sets that they kept at the register and I used those plus sales, gift card specials and Target $5/50 coupons I got in the mail to buy lego sets for my kids.

Toys R Us has also had buy one lego set, get another 50% off last month, but I'm not sure if that would end up being cheaper than Target,

The official price on the Lego website does not drop. Like many toys, big retailers like Target and Wal-Mart often drop the prices to move things out after Christmas for things that didn't sell. But if he's looking for a Ninjago or Star Wars or one of the other most popular lines then the chances that it will be left aren't great. Also, the price of popular sets can skyrocket on Amazon and other online retailers during December. It's absurd. I have gotten to the point where I tell my kids that I don't want them to put Legos on their wishlist for Christmas because the prices can get just plain stupid and I wouldn't want grandmoms to think my kids wanted a $500 Lego set (that started out at $50 or something). Those prices will drop after December and as inventory comes back in.

Guest submarines

We've been buying lego on boxing days at Toys R Us for several years now, at 50% off. DS doesn't care what set he gets, it just has to be big.

The best deal I can remember getting on new legos was when toys R us had its buy one get one 50% off. I had two kids to buy for, so it worked out. Clearance legos at Walmart or Target do happen at times, but you have to take what you can get. They have rarely been anything my Dc wanted.

Your best bet *may* be waiting for another Barnes and Noble Teacher Appreciation week/day. On those weeks EVERYTHING in the store is 25% off the lowest listed price in the store (on the product), instead of the normal 20% off books only with your educator discount card. Barnes and Nobles (at least here) have a fantastic Lego selection.

Target, Walmart and KMart have clearance price for some sets of Legos on Boxing Day. Usually it is theme sets though.

Older boy wanted a Lego City ToysRUs Toy Truck for very long and that was a door buster for $25 a few days ago so hubby grab it after work.

Rarely have I found them discounted, but we're usually looking for the generic sets, not the fancy ones. We never have enough of the basic green floors (or whatever they're called.)

If you don't need those new, the generic sets and green base plates are often sold at yard sales for decent prices.

For next year, stalk amazon frequently if you want an expensive set. This year, TRU was having their usual Buy One Get One Half Off sale, but their prices are generally higher than amazon's anyway. I happened to hit a mega amazon sale a couple of weeks ago and got one of their expensive sets for about 2/3 the price it is currently going for on amazon. It, plus another set, also on sale, was still cheaper than the price for the two of them at TRU's BOGO1/2 off sale. But the prices seem to jump around a lot at amazon, though the week after Thanksgiving (after Black Friday weekend) seemed to have really good sales.

Target, Walmart and KMart have clearance price for some sets of Legos on Boxing Day. Usually it is theme sets though.

Older boy wanted a Lego City ToysRUs Toy Truck for very long and that was a door buster for $25 a few days ago so hubby grab it after work.

If you don't need those new, the generic sets and green base plates are often sold at yard sales for decent prices.

Good idea! I have a feeling we'll be hitting those more often this coming summer.

I had great luck on Amazon this year in terms of prices, but I started buying in September and October. Right now, the prices are all over the place, and for some sets (Ninjago and Star Wars), Amazon is the only place to find them.

I have seen Lego sets on clearance after Christmas at Target, but they usually only make to 30% off (which is still helpful), and they are the less common sets. We sometimes buy them just to have different Legos that will be used to make something other than what the kit intended.

As for the plates (blue/green) and roads, I've yet to see those go on sale anywhere.

I have purchased a number of sets from Walmart 50% off after Christmas for the past 3 years. Even Star Wars sets. Huge ones. You just have to be there at the right time. I usually stock up then and ration them for the boy over the year.

Does one try 26 Dec or 30th Dec or 1 Jan or 15 Jan?

It depends. If he's specific about the set he wants, I'd probably start stalking it now. I've had really good luck with getting good deals on Star Wars and Monster Hunter legos this season but I've been searching avidly since Halloween. Slick Deals has a Deals Alert where they e-mail you if a posting meets your search criteria. CamelCamelCamel is a good website for tracking Amazon but it doesn't catch Lightning Deals.

Usually KMart, Walmart and Target have toy clearances in mid-January, but they can be very hit and miss. Good if you are lucky and don't have a specific set in mind but it can be very disappointing.

Christine

If you're not picky and just want more legos, We did well this year on ebay. Got ds 5lbs of mixed legos for $45 and dd 4 lbs of bricks, trees, flowers and a large baseplate for $35. Oh, and we vaccuum sealed them for wrapping so the curious are left wondering.

We never pay full price for Legos (well, almost never). We have a huge collection, almost all from the Target clearance aisle, Bargain Hunt (a store which carries items that were damaged in shipping, mostly from Amazon-lego boxes regularly get crushed with the legos completely undamaged), and Walmart clearance. About the only things we pay full price for are Pick a Brick at the lego stores. Even Series Minifigs are regularly available for $1-$1.50 each. We usually average between 50-75% off-but you have to be willing to shop.

I will say that to make this work, you have to be less focused on specific themes, and more on bricks. DD is getting Cars II and Pirates of the Caribbean as part of her Christmas presents. Neither set is terribly interesting to her as a set and she hasn't seen either movie-but they've got some really, really good pieces that she is likely to love and use repeatedly.

DH and I have joked that DD's college fund is in legos. And it's not entirely a joke. The Castle sets that I collected in college and had around my dorm room, which cost less than $10 each in the 1980s, now are often worth between $50-$100 each. Some of the individual minifigs easily go for $25-$30 by themselves.

Friends are really, really difficult to find discounted. So far, we've managed to get Olivia's House, the Cafe, and a bunch of the small impulse sets discounted-the impulse sets after holidays, usually at Target, and the house and the Cafe from Bargain Hunt. It's frustrating when TRU does their sales because it usually excludes Friends-and DD LOVES having those pretty colored bricks and specialized elements to add to her set.

The Lego Creator houses work well for additions to the Friends sets, and they're easier to find on sale. The Seaside house, especially has nice pastel bricks.