Menu

Happy Feast of St. Nicholas!

chiguirre

How's your day going?

GW got up and made a beeline for his gift and is very pleased. I got him a rubber ducky dressed up as a reindeer which are 2 of his favorite things rolled into one. Whew! He's hard to buy for and I'm very psyched I found him something that he likes.

Trinqueta went shopping with me last night for the St. Nicholas stuff which marks a first. She's not a little anymore, now she's helping me pick out the "secret" surprises. It's nice to compare opinions with someone, but I kind of miss the excitement when the kids still believed in St. Nicholas.

And to you too!

I remember the night of December 5th, for dd's (our oldest) first St. Nick's Day. DH asked if I had her stocking ready.

My answer was, " HUh?" It was never something my family did.

But his family hung stockings the night of the fifth and they were filled with little goodies when they woke on the 6th.

So now we do it!

We have done the story of Sinterklaas before to celebrate. Socks and some candies in their shoes are our gifts. We have a tradition of a Christmas Box that has something small in it every day leading up to Christmas. (Yesterdays was our co-op Christmas Party which included a trip to see A Christmas Carol at our local children's theater.) So today's box told them to check their shoes ;) Of course my girls are older and they know where it really comes from.

Dd18 is a nanny for a friend's family. She read the story of Sinterklaas to them yesterday and looked at wooden shoes from Holland and had them lay out their shoes. She filled them this morning before they got up with socks, lip gloss, etc. They were so excited! It was fun to see it through new, young eyes. The oldest was upset that Sinterklaas didn't leave anything for their baby brother. Dd said that the baby brother didn't wear shoes yet so Sinterklaas would visit him next year when he did :lol:

My dc put out their wooden shoes last night and were thrilled that Sy Nicholas still visits them, even though they are almost teenagers. Today, we are planning on baking some special St Nicholas cookies, using our St N cookie molds and recipes from the Saint Nicholas Center website.

As a public service announcement (lol), here is a wonderful cookie recipe from Daisy (missing her!). She did it as a Christmas cookie, but it is also traditional for St Nicholas Day.

Pfeffernusse (German Spice Cookies) - makes approx. 40

2 cups flour

1 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. pepper

1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. ginger

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/2 tsp. ground cloves

1/8 tsp. nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together dry ingredients and set aside.

1 stick butter, soft

1/2 cup molasses

1/2 cup sugar

1 egg

Powdered sugar

In a medium bowl beat butter, molasses and sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg. Add in dry ingredients. Mix well. Chill for at least 4 hours or overnight. In your palm, roll the dough into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet. Bake 12-15 minutes. Immediately roll the warm cookies in powdered sugar. Cool and roll in powdered sugar again.

Daisy’s Recipe

Joyous Feast!

I didn't do so good this year! I didn't get gold coins, or anything really. The kids have some quarters and some peices of a chocolate orange in their shoes. So they don't have chocolate coins but they do have chocolate and coins. :tongue_smilie: This Sunday my kids are doing a St. Nicholas skit at church and we will be celebrating (belatedly) our parish's feast day.:)

Joyous Feast!

I didn't do so good this year! I didn't get gold coins, or anything really. The kids have some quarters and some peices of a chocolate orange in their shoes. So they don't have chocolate coins but they do have chocolate and coins. :tongue_smilie: This Sunday my kids are doing a St. Nicholas skit at church and we will be celebrating (belatedly) our parish's feast day. :)

You did fine.

Joyous feast! We went to St. Nicholas vespers last night where the priest -- who looks like Santa Claus, with a long white beard and hair -- read the story of St. Nicholas to the children. This morning the kids woke up to gold coins, a mandarin orange, small book and a ticket to a Christmas play in their shoe.

They set their shoes out in the vestibule last night and they got clementines, pistachios, chocolate coins and some other candy yummies. Last night I stayed up waayyy too late sewing up a St. Nicholas bishop out of felt--I'll post it later, I'm quite proud of myself, though! And at the local German festival I picked up Santa chocolates and remade them into St. Nick with a staff and mitre.

I made the St. Nicholas soup last night for today, and now we're going to make speculoos. If they come out decent (the kids are cutting the patterns and icing them) I'll post those, too!

And of course we have our favorite St. Nick books to read.

Happy feast day!

A lot of you gave an orange/mandarin/clemintine. What is the significance of this? It must be part of St. Nicholas's tradition somehow but I don't think I've heard of it. :)

Justamouse, what is St. Nicholas soup?

I think it's just a seasonal thing (they're available this time of year), plus they fit in shoes. I could be wrong, though!

Well, we aren't Catholic, so St. Nicholas day isn't something we celebrate usually. We talk about the days in church since we are a liturgical protestant church, but that is about it. But I thought I would jump into this thread because somebody in our neighborhood left us a happy St. Nicholas day basket of goodies on our porch today, which is so sweet. It had a picture of St. Nicholas, gold coins, cookies, and a couple of little horns for the girls. They were so excited. So thank you to whomever thought of us today as they celebrated their feast day!

A lot of you gave an orange/mandarin/clemintine. What is the significance of this? It must be part of St. Nicholas's tradition somehow but I don't think I've heard of it. :)

I blogged it.

It's a good recipe! And the speculoos are there, too.

The orange is to symbolize the gold balls he threw to the maidens as a dowry.

We give presents on St. Nicholas Day. It's an adopted tradition because neither one of us grew up with it. We really didn't know what to do about Santa Claus so we compromised by the girls getting a small gift from St. Nicholas on the 6th and presents from mama and daddy and everyone else on Christmas morning.

We'll be making cookies later today. I made life easier on myself to avoid icing got these.

I have to admit, those are SO pretty.

For us, the orange is a family tradition from when my mom was little. When I was a kid, she said the orange was to remind us to be thankful...many kids didn't get any presents and would be DELIGHTED to get a small orange.

My boys are celebrating St Nicholas Day on saturday at their German school. They have to bring a shoe and leave it outside their classroom door :)

Maybe I can get my hubby to get them chocolate coins today since he is going to buy clementines on his way home from work.

As a public service announcement (lol), here is a wonderful cookie recipe from Daisy (missing her!). She did it as a Christmas cookie, but it is also traditional for St Nicholas Day.

Pfeffernusse (German Spice Cookies) - makes approx. 40

We bought our Pfeffernusse from Trader Joes.

The blog link isn't working for me. Really want to see the recipe!

Ohh sorry! I relinked.

Some changes I made to the recipe--

I omitted the potatoes. I used homemade chicken stock. I also added parsley. :D

I have a horrible habit of not following one recipe to a T.