Menu

#1 Most Favorite Curriculum Ever!

JenniferB

Sorry -- I canNOT follow rules -- you get top 3 per age range from me! ;)

Lower Elementary grades

1. booklists from Sonlight, WTM, and others

2. Miquon and then Singapore math

3. key-word outline technique from IEW

(bonus: Handwriting without Tears; Explode the Code; parts of "What Your .... Grader Needs to Know" books)

Upper Elementary grades

1. Beautiful Feet Geography Guide/Map Pack with the 4 Holling C. Holling books

2. Math-U-See

3. Wordsmith Apprentice

(bonus: living books for Science; science kits from Wild Goose, TOPS, and others)

Middle School grades

1. Fallacy Detective

2. Lightning Literature 7 and 8

3. Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings

(bonus: Jacobs Algebra; MUS; Jump In Writing)

High School grades

1. WTM-style Literature

2. Notgrass "Exploring America" U.S. History

3. Dave Ramsey Foundations in Personal Finance

(bonus: Jacobs Geometry; MUS; Conceptual Physics; Conceptual Chemistry; writing weekly timed essays from past SAT prompts -- idea from 8FilltheHeart)

It would be hard for me to pick because each subject I want different things from the curriculum. I would have to say that I am pretty pleased with the subjects we are doing now.

Easiest to complete and usually enjoyable: SOTW

My kids love: RSO: Life

I like the foundation from: WWE, AAS and Singapore Math

See? I just can't pick!

SOTW. Seriously. I love it. However, it has turned me into one of those "know it all" teacher people. I nearly blasted off when the I read the comment section on an article about some Roman ruins found in Turkey. THere was a discussion about who the ruins now belonged to (Turkey, duh). Someone actually said that they now belonged to the Romans. Um... We are huge fans of Jim Weiss reading the SOTW on audiobook.

I also love Singapore math.

I am a huuuuuuge fan of wwe and wws as well.

The theme/verse is what I use to direct our lessons, "What can we find in this lesson that is true or noble or just or ...?" Using Teaching the Classics we have *easily* been able to find at least one, but almost always each and every one of these things in our literature studies. Without Teaching the Classics, this task would not be as easily accomplished. The true, noble, just, etc. is usually kind of hard to find (for me) but Teaching the Classics made it super easy, and fun, and eye opening, altogether nourishing for all of us.

If you have a curriculum that you just love in a deep way, like I love Teaching the Classics, please share it. That is what I'm asking.

I found this really interesting. See, what you are describing here isn't JUST because of TtC. You've taken a method and beautifully married it to your vision, your passion. No one else will have your same experience with TtC method because they will bring something different to the table (or possibly nothing at all). And I keep saying method because TtC isn't what I would call a curriculum. It's a tool to teach you how to teach. I don't put it into the same category as I would most of the curriculum others are talking about.

I was going to post my favorite curriculum until I read the above post. The part I bolded above made me stop and reconsider my response, because, honestly, my first choice for a program that is easy to implement, well liked by my dc, and gets the job done is NOT what I consider soul nourishing and I can't really say that I love it in a deep way. I like it, but I wouldn't be devastated if it broke up with me. :p

If I had to choose a program\curriculum that I felt was nourishing and that I loved in a deep way I wouldn't be able to do it. I could tell you that I feel that way about the way we discuss literature and the way I'm teaching integrated language arts, but those are methods married to my vision - my passion for teaching in a certain way, and certain things. I have created a literature curriculum and a writing curriculum, but they aren't specific programs...they are just me teaching.

Maybe you love TtC because it has made you a better teacher, but the nourishing bit...that's all you.

It's late, I'm rambling, and I didn't mean to derail your thread. Chalk it up to someone having deep thoughts on too little sleep...I'm sure in the morning I'll come back and look like this :blink: at certain parts of this post. :D

I don't think I have a favourite yet :bored: My DD only just finished K and we didn't use all that much. What we used worked fine but I don't think I was in love with it.

Oh wait - yes I did love one thing - we used Reading A-Z.com and it turned the tide for DD who was having so much trouble learning to read. I plan to use it for all my kids -it's great.

My kids favourite is probably the Sonlight read alouds we did. I don't use their curriculum -just their booklists. My kids have loved every one.

I have a lot of new things planned for next year - so hopefully it will all be met with some love.

I love CLE Math like I love a good pair of "running" shoes (not that I run in them, lol). It has saved me the embarrassment of changing math programs every year.

My newest love is the new CC timeline and song - I love the cards, I love the info on the back of the cards, I love the song.

An older love is GSWL.... and it is a love so true that I can find nothing acceptable to follow it. <sigh>

I'm having a fling with Elson Reader book 1.... I've had one before and realize it may not last, but it's nice right now.

I'm very thankful for IEW within CC's Essentials.... it's making us do what I never would have made us do on our own.

None of that is soul-nourishing though.

Fun thread.... and nice to read different types of replies.

5LM, yes, well said, but I disagree slightly in that the program gets most of the credit in my book. Without that program I would have possibly just read a picture book, have the kids narrate back, end of story and no gems were found. But, because of the "method," as you rightly called it, we got so much meat out of our little story books.

That's why I clarified what kind of responses I was looking for though, and that would include "methods," or anything that has been a "love" experience.

I'm looking for high quality resources, methods, etc for all our subjects, not just literature. I want to get the true, noble, just, etc out of say, science and history and geography and art.

Many gems have been listed here. I'm looking into a certain art program. I love Beautiful Feet geography in a similar way, it would be #2 in my love list for this year.

I like your contribution to the thread. You helped to clarify what I'm asking. Thank you.

If I have to pick just one, my choice would be WWS. I know I'm only in my second year using it and it is a very new program but I am continually amazed at the results that this writing program encourages from my child.

I love that it is challenging and engaging but also approachable. The confidence boosts that my child gets from producing a well written piece has been priceless. Being able to see that pride in her eyes, knowing that she worked really hard on her composition has made all the difficult moments worthwhile. Those (teacher and student) books are worth their weight in gold around here.

Not only did my daughter find the topics engaging to write about, but a lot of the lessons prompted her to do more outside research (on her own time) simply because she wanted to learn more. :thumbup: This is not something I can say about a lot of programs out there. Plus, she asks to do it every single day. It's her favorite too.

We LOVE WWS! Thank you, SWB.

I am going to be a rule breaker and put one-two for every subject:

History: SOTW/MOH

Science: Apologia Elementary

Writing: WWS

Grammar: FLL

Spelling: How to Spell

Math: Teaching Textbooks

ETA: I guess if I had to pick one thing it would be "The Well-trained Mind" with SWB's lectures. They have been so influential on me during our homeschool adventure. Yes I have strayed and tried new things but have found the principles that she proposes to be sound and true. The materials that have been forged through her philosophy and experience have been a great fit for me as a teacher and for my children.

This year I took up a theme, which was to use this Bible verse, "whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

The theme/verse is what I use to direct our lessons, "What can we find in this lesson that is true or noble or just or ...?" Using Teaching the Classics we have *easily* been able to find at least one, but almost always each and every one of these things in our literature studies. Without Teaching the Classics, this task would not be as easily accomplished. The true, noble, just, etc. is usually kind of hard to find (for me) but Teaching the Classics made it super easy, and fun, and eye opening, altogether nourishing for all of us.

If you have a curriculum that you just love in a deep way, like I love Teaching the Classics, please share it. That is what I'm asking.

:D I hope that makes sense, and I hope to glean some gems from this thread. :D

Jennifer - your post came at a fantastic time for me. I am looking to rededicate our school year in January, returning a bit to the basics and to the same verse you are using this year. I had somewhere left it behind over the last few months, and your post on TtC and St. Paul's words reminded me a bit of what I was wanting to accomplish this year. Thanks. :D

Right now I'm feeling rather blah about it all :lol: but I do love the following:

All About Spelling - though I took a break from it with ds11 and ds9 (ds6 is just finishing AAS 1), I love this program. Like someone up thread said, I have learned so much about the English language and it is slowly helping my non-natural spellers conquer spelling.

Beautiful Feet Geography - We just finished Paddle-to-the-Sea and loved it. I actually hope to do a better job for the next two books than we did with the first (we'll be able to do Minn of the Mississippi and Tree in the Trail before June). The boys beg me to keep reading and they have really enjoyed the map work that corresponds with the reading. Plus, we learned quite a bit about the Great Lakes region.

Spalding Cursive as explained in WRTR 6th edition. I just use ball and stick manuscript for the uppercase letters though. And I follow the order of instruction in How to Tutor.

Here is a student sample after just a few hours of instruction, from a left-handed LD student.

3edd9415.jpg

Spalding Cursive as explained in WRTR 6th edition. I just use ball and stick manuscript for the uppercase letters though. And I follow the order of instruction in How to Tutor.

Here is a student sample after just a few hours of instruction, from a left-handed LD student.

3edd9415.jpg

Thank you for the reminder to buy this. My fifth edition is completely falling apart from so much use. I really love WRTR.

Rod & Staff English 3! I realize I'm either a nerd, or evil, or both. ;)

Why I love it: Besides its unsurpassed reputation to thoroughly teach grammar and writing to the eager student (as well as the ignorant teacher), my dd8 gets to practice writing a lot and writing it neatly, formating her page correctly by leaving a space between each problem and numbering properly, reading carefully, following directions, and overall learning to do it right the first time, or else having to do it over again. SO many skills from one non-consumable, wonderful book.

I think that our sucess also comes from this being dd8's first exposure to grammar. Everything she is learning is new to her and it is right on her level. If we had already completed other grammar programs in 1st and 2nd grade, R&S 3 might be tedious. As it is, it is an exciting new adventure! (for me, anyway)

My other love: Math Mammoth! Tried and true in our home, we've used it for three years with no intention of ever switching.

K12 Language Arts

I've used it for 11 years now. My 12th grader used K12 LA 1 through Literary Analysis and Composition II, and although I've bought a ridiculous number of grammar, composition and literature programs over the years thinking they'd be more fun, interesting or easier to use, nothing compares to K12 LA. We've always come back to it.

The composition and grammar strands are very challenging, so it's definitely not for everyone. But after she finished LACII a few years ago as a 9th grader, my daughter took the Accuplacer and tested into college level English. She's also gone on to score in the top 2% on the ACT English and Reading subsections. I totally attribute that to K12's LA.

I'm looking for high quality resources, methods, etc for all our subjects, not just literature. I want to get the true, noble, just, etc out of say, science and history and geography and art.

Art of Problem Solving does this for me in math: it is really true math. The prealgebra section on integers won me over.

MCT's grammar materials also. It is so refreshing to read definitions of nouns, pronouns, &c. that would serve the child well through grad-school linguistics and are still interesting.

For history, it has been more complicated. Ambleside Online's materials about history have made me feel happy, because they build up an understanding of what is behind all that conquering & ruling & rebelling: Viking Tales in year 1 was esp. helpful for this. Although AO's materials do themselves incorporate beliefs that I do not always like or agree with, the focus on the child's character throughout the curriculum is nourishing to me myself.

I asked my daughter yesterday, and she said History, so that would be SOTW.

For myself, I am so happy that Singapore Math exists. We also just started their science (My Pals Are Here) and that is going pretty well too. Easy enough to open and go for us, yet we get to work together and dig deeper into topics. Hmmm... sounds just like Singapore Math.

How about my #1 most favorite curriculum or - even better - curriculum combo for each subject? :thumbup: Now that's a question I can answer.

Veritas Press Bible & History / Guerber's revised history series (by Miller of NNP)

RightStart Math

SWR / CF

FLL / MCT

WWE

Classical Academic Press Latin materials (SSL, LfC)

God's Design for Science