Menu

'The Shack' book?

I didn't read it when it came out b/c I heard the theology wasn't sound but I read it this year as a work of fiction and enjoyed it. And I think if you don't read into all the theology and just enjoy the story of how he works through his loss it's an ok book. And honestly, I liked the part when they described the girl during her murder....how brave she was...how she kept focused on Jesus....it's nice to think that in the worst moment possible of your life that you are looking to Jesus through it all. Anyway, I am glad I read it. But it does make me rethink when going camping about how loose I let the kids get in the campground....

I never read this book and actively avoid it. Not because of some theological issue I have with it, but because of the beginning. I cannot handle books or movies with violence toward children. I would read that first part and fixate on it for weeks. It's just better for me not to put those thoughts and images in my head to start with.

It is poorly written. Also, reading about a little girl being kidnapped and murdered doesn't do much to help my anxiety.

I never read this book and actively avoid it. Not because of some theological issue I have with it, but because of the beginning. I cannot handle books or movies with violence toward children. I would read that first part and fixate on it for weeks. It's just better for me not to put those thoughts and images in my head to start with.

:iagree: I don't want to read about a child being murdered. I couldn't get past it.

I will be the odd on out on this. I read it during a very tramatic time. It was less than a year after the assault and I was so ANGRY at God. I devoured it in one night, sobbing hysterically through the whole thing. By the time morning came I had literally turned a page in my own life, with my own pain. I was able to see that just like that little girl, God had never left or abandoned me. Something bad had happened, but I was still safe with him.

I was not Orthodox at the time of my reading, so I will not attempt to speak of the theological soundness. What I do know is that it was the mode through which I experienced great healing and the first glimmers of hope.

I will be the odd on out on this. I read it during a very tramatic time. It was less than a year after the assault and I was so ANGRY at God. I devoured it in one night, sobbing hysterically through the whole thing. By the time morning came I had literally turned a page in my own life, with my own pain. I was able to see that just like that little girl, God had never left or abandoned me. Something bad had happened, but I was still safe with him.

I was not Orthodox at the time of my reading, so I will not attempt to speak of the theological soundness. What I do know is that it was the mode through which I experienced great healing and the first glimmers of hope.

Thank you for sharing. :)

In evaluating the book, it must be kept in mind that The Shack is a work of fiction. But it is also a sustained theological argument, and this simply cannot be denied. Any number of notable novels and works of literature have contained aberrant theology, and even heresy. The crucial question is whether the aberrant doctrines are features of the story or the message of the work. When it comes to The Shack, the really troubling fact is that so many readers are drawn to the theological message of the book, and fail to see how it conflicts with the Bible at so many crucial points. a quote from Albert Mohler's blog

I haven't read the book, but I have heard this reaction from others. That it speaks to God being with us it the worst possible times and though He doesn't always stop the bad things He stands next to us.

I read this recently. Mostly out of curiosity. I'm not very religious so the "not-biblically-sound" stuff didn't bother me. But I did find it poorly written. And I found it to be just a religious book. If you're into religion, it might speak to some people. I just couldn't relate. I've never experienced any kind of pain where I felt that God had abandoned me. Perhaps for someone who felt abandoned it might speak to them better if they turn to God for comfort. But for someone who has been traumatized and does not typically turn to God for comfort, this book won't suddenly turn you into a believer. But as a book, I just found it poorly written; lacking in plot, insight, or character development; and rather boring.

I didn't like it. I was reading it expecting something profound and really what I read was a bunch of mysticism that was not in line biblically. I suppose depending on what your beliefs are you might have a different experience with the book.

:iagree: It was emotionally engaging, but demonstrated a good deal of sloppy thinking.

My gut reaction when I read it was it made me sick to my stomach. Just my personal opinion. I actually cried when my preacher called it a great work of fiction that would give us something to think about. I think that was the beginning of the end of our time at that church. I still love and respect the pastor so much, but my heart just broke. I am a very black and white person though and a literalist when it comes to most of the BIble. I know it's not a popular belief, but that is who I am. It still makes my stomach churn when I see it touted as a Christian book. I'm really sorry if that offends someone I don't mean to, it's just my personal feeling. I've never really told anyone that before, except my best friend who honestly asked me what I thought and I honestly told her. She sighed with relief and said she thought she was the only one. We went to the same church.

Even my husband who sees a lot more grey areas than I can was really turned off by the book.

I thought it was OK but didn't particularly like it and would rate it 2.5 or 3 out of 5 stars. I don't think it deserved the extreme criticism or exaggerated praise it received. I've read better-written and more thought-provoking Christian fiction, and I don't get why this one is so wildly popular.

I had a similar experience. I quite liked it, but I prefer a simple read and I like books that others call "sloppily written". :blushing: I have no interest in literary works of genius or heavy reads. I also didn't care that it didn't line up with the bible, but I will keep my opinions on that to myself.

I purchased this book a few years back and read half of the book before I closed it and donated it. For me it was poorly written.

This is exactly what happened to me. I started with great hopes, but couldn't finish it, despite being stuck on an airplane with only that one book. It was terribly written, theologically questionable, and disturbing.

I HATED the way the author sets up the preface/intro in such a way to lead you to believe that it's a true story. I felt it was dishonest and manipulative. I read about 60% of it, but put it down because of the glaring theological issues. I appreciate what the author was trying to do in exploring the mysteries of the Trinity, but unfortunately, when a human tries to speak for God, they generally fail miserably.

I HATED the way the author sets up the preface/intro in such a way to lead you to believe that it's a true story. I felt it was dishonest and manipulative.

I agree with this. I was SO disappointed when I first read it and then at the very end, realized it wasn't a true story after all.

Thank you all for the opinions!

I didn't like it. I was reading it expecting something profound and really what I read was a bunch of mysticism that was not in line biblically. I suppose depending on what your beliefs are you might have a different experience with the book.

It is heresy wrapped in self-indulgent, literary drivel. Blech.

My gut reaction when I read it was it made me sick to my stomach. Just my personal opinion. I actually cried when my preacher called it a great work of fiction that would give us something to think about. I think that was the beginning of the end of our time at that church. I still love and respect the pastor so much, but my heart just broke. I am a very black and white person though and a literalist when it comes to most of the BIble. I know it's not a popular belief, but that is who I am. It still makes my stomach churn when I see it touted as a Christian book. I'm really sorry if that offends someone I don't mean to, it's just my personal feeling. I've never really told anyone that before, except my best friend who honestly asked me what I thought and I honestly told her. She sighed with relief and said she thought she was the only one. We went to the same church.

Even my husband who sees a lot more grey areas than I can was really turned off by the book.

:iagree: :iagree: