Menu

You just need to spank her!

Ok, I am not sure if I want to laugh or cry at this statement. I am not apposed to spanking a child when little if that discipline works. I have learned that you really don't need to as there are other disciplines that work better. I guess I am saying that to assure those that do spank that I am not totally on the apposing side.

My almost 13 yr old daughter was having a not so pleasant day and I was a bit frustrated with her. She had twice gone somewhere she wasn't supposed to go. There has been two reports of a man trying to pick up a child, one in our small town and the other in the larger town close. For me this is a safety issue. I want her to be where she is supposed to be and not go outside of those bounderies. I was visiting with a neighbor that has one child, 18 months old when some of this came down. Her immediate reaction was, "Well, it sounds like you simply need to spank her!"

My response was,"Well, I don't spank any more and if I still did I wouldn't be spanking an almost 13 yr old. They are old enough to listen and respond or not and then not have some much coveted freedoms."

The gals response was a frown and walking away. :tongue_smilie::lol::lol::lol:

I am sure that life will teach her. :001_smile:

Spank a 13 year old:lol: That's just absurd. My 13 year old is about 3 inches taller than I am. I would look like a total loon if I were to spank him.

I'm always amazed by the wisdom some parents of one small child (of a very young age usually) and the fact that they decide to pass it along to those of us with teens or almost teens.

Sorry if that offends anyone, but when your only child isn't even 2 years old yet, please try to refrain from give advice on how to discipline a teen, This is a whole other level of the playing field in the game of parenting.

Spank a 13 year old:lol: That's just absurd. My 13 year old is about 3 inches taller than I am. I would look like a total loon if I were to spank him.

I'm always amazed by the wisdom some parents of one small child (of a very young age usually) and the fact that they decide to pass it along to those of us with teens or almost teens.

Sorry if that offends anyone, but when your only child isn't even 2 years old yet, please try to refrain from give advice on how to discipline a teen, This is a whole other level of the playing field in the game of parenting.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

And the OP has a daughter my age. So in spite of the fact that I have two kids over 13, I won't be giving her any advice either. :D

Bless her heart:glare:.

:iagree: and an indulgent smile perhaps accompanied by laughter are appropriate response to such an absurd suggestion. after all, life will (hopefully) teach her.

eta: well, with one adult child, your advisor doesn't seem to have learned much.

Even as someone that believes in using spanking it would not be with a teen. My teens will occasionally get a smack on the backside in playful "get out of here bugger" way, not as punishment. The thought of actually spanking a teen disturbs me greatly. Makes it seem more sexual than punishment for disobedience like it would be for a 4 yr old kwim.

One of my funniest childhood memories (looking back; it wasn't funny then) was when I was 13 and driving my parents crazy. I was so mouthy.

One day my Dad was just done with me and said, "You're not too big to spank, you know." I looked at him in anger and horror and said, "Oh, yes, I am!" He stared at me for a minute and then shrugged and said, "I haven't spanked you since you were three. I'm just out of ideas." LOL

I wish more parents were as honest as my Dad. He didn't want to spank his teenage dd and had no intention of doing it; he was just out of ideas. So he said so, instead of hauling off and hitting me. Luckily for him I realized I must have gone too far if he was exasperated, because he always knew what to do. So I backed off.

Oh, wait. I backed off from bothering him and switched all my angst to Mom.

If spanking is started early and continued until the child understands that he/she is to obey you and respect your authority as the parent then by 13, spanking shouldn't be necessary. Unfortunately, as a young parent, I fell prey to the whole "gentle discipline" .nonsense and by age 3, my DD was so.disobedient. Hubby and I finally woke up and realized where she was headed....and begin serious discipline....many, many spankings later at age 8, she finally is respectful and obedient 99% of the time. We started much earlier with our son and he is far better behaved than she was at age 2. I think we will be able to stop spanking him much earlier. The Bible is certainly correct when it says that sparing the rod spoils the child. I'm very thankful we learned that truth early rather than later. I wouldn't spank a 13 year old, but like the other poster said...I'd do some serious intervention.

If spanking is started early and continued until the child understands that he/she is to obey you and respect your authority as the parent then by 13, spanking shouldn't be necessary. Unfortunately, as a young parent, I fell prey to the whole "gentle discipline" .nonsense and by age 3, my DD was so.disobedient. Hubby and I finally woke up and realized where she was headed....and begin serious discipline....many, many spankings later at age 8, she finally is respectful and obedient 99% of the time. We started much earlier with our son and he is far better behaved than she was at age 2. I think we will be able to stop spanking him much earlier. The Bible is certainly correct when it says that sparing the rod spoils the child. I'm very thankful we learned that truth early rather than later. I wouldn't spank a 13 year old, but like the other poster said...I'd do some serious intervention.

:001_huh: I've never spanked a child. My kids are wonderful!! (Most of the time.) We have teens who respect us and I have a wonderful relationship with. It can happen.

In my experience as the mother of several teenaged boys, gentle discipline was not and is not nonsense. I'm very glad I chose to be consistent but non-violent with my children, who have grown to be very self-disciplined and respectful young men.

That said, I have no idea what you interpreted 'gentle discipline' to mean, or how you pursued that course with your daughter, so I can't comment on how our methods probably differed.

At any rate, 13 is a bit late to get a child to go along with regular beatings. They are too old to submit to it by then unless they've been physically chastised their whole childhood.

And with that, the thread will go poof. Seriously spankers are not subjecting their kids to beatings, and people who use gentle discipline methods do not feel it is nonsense. We do not need another thread with back and forth on that. That is not what the OP was saying.

And with that, the thread will go poof. Seriously spankers are not subjecting their kids to beatings, and people who use gentle discipline methods do not feel it is nonsense. We do not need another thread with back and forth on that. That is not what the OP was saying.

:iagree: