Menu

If you are over 40, what is your favorite foundation?

I will be 40 soon, and my skin has changed a lot over the last couple of years. Most people still think I am younger than I really am, but I see changes.

Lately, I can't seem to find a foundation that I like. My old stand-by looks dry on me now. I have tried a few other brands, and they either look cakey, they are gone by the end of they day, or they look greasy by the end of the day. I love the way Bare Minerals looks when I first put it on. It makes me glow, but half through the day it is gone. I need good coverage due to acne scarring.

What do you use and like?

Good make-up begins with good skin care. :-)

Since I was very young I have done three steps: cleanse, tone, moisturize. I use something meant for skin, either a soap like Neutrogena or a lotion/cream/etc. to wash; I use a toner that is applied with a cotton ball; and while my face is still damp from the toner, I use a moisturizer. If I skip any of those steps, if I use, say, Dial or even Dove, if I don't use a moisturizer, my skin is dreadful--very oily in some places, dry patchy in others.

I have used a number of different product lines--Clinique, Artistry, Paula Whatshername, Jordan Essentials, Shaklee. I have pretty much the same results with all of them, so I just stay with Artistry since I sell it. :D

And I use Bare Minerals, all of it, not just what you'd call "foundaton." I use the concealer (I don't have my little jars here, and I can't remember exactly what they're called, lol), then the base (which is applied with the kabuki brush), the blush, and finally the Mineral Veil. You don't get the same results if you don't use the base and the mineral veil, probably not the blush, too.

I love Origins' Stay Tuned Balancing Face Makeup. It's light, disappears on the face, never feels heavy or looks greasy, even at the end of the day (and I have oily skin). It's a light cover--it won't cover everything, but I have some light acne scarring in one area and it makes that go away. It fills in the enlarged pores beautifully. I don't have particularly great skin, but I'm 48 and still get compliments when I'm wearing this.

I will be 40 soon, and my skin has changed a lot over the last couple of years. Most people still think I am younger than I really am, but I see changes.

Lately, I can't seem to find a foundation that I like. My old stand-by looks dry on me now. I have tried a few other brands, and they either look cakey, they are gone by the end of they day, or they look greasy by the end of the day. I love the way Bare Minerals looks when I first put it on. It makes me glow, but half through the day it is gone. I need good coverage due to acne scarring.

What do you use and like?

I still just use a mineral foundation, but now that I'm older I make a point of moisturizing really well and I apply a primer so the make-up goes on nicely. The primer keeps dry skin from drinking up the make-up and assures that there is always make-up left to take off at the end of the day.

The cheapest 'primer' I found works really well for me. I just use monistat's anti-chaffing gel. A tube lasts me a couple years. So I do:

Lotion

Primer

Green stick

Mineral powder

HTH

I'm not over 40 but my mother is. We both use Bobbi Brown. Nothing is better than the tinted moisturizer, and the moisture surge foundation for a little more coverage. The colors are the best I've ever seen

Seconded. I've used Bobbi Brown for years and am still quite pleased with it (though I may have to face some facts and get a slightly heavier formula next time).

I'd love to try Bobbi Brown. Where do you get it?

I use clinique and something from Avon.

I have a primer but most of them have dimethicone which isn't good for the skin, from what I've read, so I dont' use it too much. I really don't see much difference.

powders make older skin look dryer as it settles into the fine lines. Moisturizer and drinking lots of water are crucial.

I have a primer but most of them have dimethicone which isn't good for the skin, from what I've read, so I dont' use it too much. I really don't see much difference.

powders make older skin look dryer as it settles into the fine lines. Moisturizer and drinking lots of water are crucial.

DO you have a Nordstrom? Have them try it on you. It's $40 a bottle and worth every single penny. A little goes a looooong way.

Store finder

Punch in your zip and it will show you where to find it.

I've used Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation for the past 15 years. Now that I'm 48 I use Double Wear Light as it's less heavy. Sometimes, if I want fuller coverage I mix half and half of the original Double Wear with the light version. I find that the original version on its own is now a bit ageing (it accentuates wrinkles!).

I had to switch foundations last year due to changing aging skin. I turned to

Estee Lauder. I love their Double Wear Light, which someone else already mentioned. They have a foundation with minerals that I like too. Sometimes I mix a small squirt of foundation with a small squirt of moisturizer too.

fyi-Estee Lauder sends free samples with purchases and has lots of special deals and gifts with purchase throughout the year. The first time I tried the foundation mentioned above, it was a free sample.