Menu

Help me assemble a complete list of science curricula & books for elementary & logic

lewelma

There have been so many threads about science recently, and I feel like many homeschoolers don't have a clear understanding of the materials that are available. It especially takes newbies quite a bit of time to get their head around the options.

So....I would like to organize a list of what is out there with a small blurb about the approach and what types of kids it would be good for. My thought is that each of us can write up what we have used, and I can organize it into a big list. So what I need:

Is it a curriculum, experiment set, or book?

Title plus a link

A brief description

If it is a complete or partial year course (if a curriculum)

Level of material or what types of students would enjoy it

If a student can use it independently

If it includes tests

If it includes the supplies needed for experiments

Please note if the material has a christian, YE, or other important POV.

If you are recommending books, I would like to restrict it to large books that cover an entire topic well, rather than short nonfiction books or biographies (there was just a thread on living books that I can make up a list from some other time). And feel free to add to someone else's write up. I can merge everyone's ideas at the end, put it out for editing, and then post a final copy (yes, all in my free time :tongue_smilie: - meaning this might take me a few weeks).

I will start. :001_smile:

Books (see note above about types of books):

The New Way Things Work - Explains with wonderful diagrams how simple machines work. Covers gears, flight, sound, and magnetism. Late elementary to Logic Stage Physics

Curricula:

The Elements by McHenry - Focuses on atomic structure, basic bonding, and trends in the periodic table. Large focus on becoming familiar with the periodic table. Includes numerous games to memorize symbol names and facts about the elements. Includes links to good websites, easy experiments with everyday materials, and crafts just for fun. Can be used with either elementary or logic stage students. A 1/2 year course.

Well, that should give you a feel for what I am after. Open to suggestions about how to make this list the most useful possible. Thanks for your help,

Ruth in NZ

WHAT NEEDS TO BE DESCRIBED:

I THINK OTHERS WOULD LOVE TO KNOW HOW THESE CURRICULA DIFFER. WHY WOULD SOMEONE CHOOSE ONE OVER THE OTHER. WHAT ARE THEIR STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSES. ETC.

Ok, organizing the list posted by leeyeewah. I've decided to sort by Christian and Secular because in my experience on this board, most families want one or the other, so it would be nice to have the lists separated. Obviously, there will be some curricula that don't fit into categories well, but I am doing the best I can. So no flaming please. (** indicates that someone has reviewed it)

Christian Curriculum

A Reason for Science YE

Abeka Science YE

Alpha Omega Lifepac ScienceYE

Ambleside Online

BJU Press ScienceYE

Christian Cottage Unit StudiesYE

Christian Kids Explore ScienceYE

Christian Light Education ScienceYE

Exploring Creation with ____ (Apologia)YE

Exploring God's Creation (Christian Liberty Press?)YE

God's Design for ScienceYE

Rainbow ScienceYE

Real Science 4 Kids (RS4K)

Rod & Staff ScienceYE

Science Excursion

Science for Young Catholics (Seton)

Science Shepherd

Sonlight Science

Wonders of CreationYE

Truth in ScienceYE

Secular (will add links later)

Aha! Science

Beautiful Feet History of Science

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding (BFSU)

Calvert

**Classic Science/Mr. Q Science

**Connect the Thoughts

Core Knowledge Sequence

CPO Science

Delta Science In A Nutshell

Discovery Education Science

**Elemental Science

Evan Moor

Exploration Education

Fascinating Education (Chemistry, Biology)

Great Explorations in Math and Science (GEMS)

Glencoe/McGraw-Hill

Great Science Adventures

Handbook of Nature Study

Holt Science

Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Science

Intellego Unit Studies

Janice vanCleave - multiple titles

Junior Science

K12 Science

Lyrical Life Science

Middle School Chemistry

McRuffy Science

**MSNucleus

Singapore Science - My Pals are Here (MPH)

Nancy Larson Science

Noeo

Oak Meadow Science

Otter's Science

Plato Science

Pearson/Prentice Hall Science Explorer

R.E.A.L Science Odyssey (RSO)

Scott Foresman Science (Related to Pearson science?)

Earlybird Science

Secondary science education

Singapore - Interactive Science

Singapore - Science Matters

So You Really Want to Learn Science (Galore Park)

Spectrum of Science

Supercharged Science

**The Elements: Ingredients of the Universe

The Story of Science

Thinkwell Science

TOPS Science

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 13

What we have so far: (I am already running out of space. So have reserved posts 15 to 20)

Elementary

Integrated Science

The Usborne Science Encyclopedia

overview of most topics in science and technology, with a two page spread about each topic containing text, images, internet links and very simple demonstration experiments. Grammar stage or logic stage. Secular.

Lab of Mr. Q: fact filled and humorous writing helps draw kids in. Lots of hands-on. Currently offers elementary level biology, chemistry, physics and earth/space, plus a more advanced chemistry. I think more levels are on their way. Lots of graphics add to the appeal, plus there are worksheets, scientific vocabulary lessons, etc. The life science is available FREE OF CHARGE as a download. All books in pdf format. Secular.

Nurturing Inquiry can inspire you to Inquiry Science! It is an approach/method, not a curriculum. I also like Organizing Wonder. The 5E model is very helpful as well. Observe, read, and otherwise immerse yourself in science, which is everywhere (and impossible to miss if you purposefully tune in to it). Ask questions. Discern whether they are research questions (look answer up in a book) or testable questions (design experiments to find answers). Research or test to find answers. Document your findings. So easy! And oodles of fun!Your questions are the basis for your curriculum, so it can last forever. As an added bonus, your questions will lead your kids to a surprisingly quick and easy understanding of the fundamental connection between all branches of science. Suitable for all ages, Students can work independently or as a group.he only tests are those which your little scientists design themselves. Is as secular or faith-based as your questions make it.

http://elementalscience.com/"]Elemental Science A science book has laid out lessons using science books from WTM. ie. Kingfisher encyclopedias, Useborne encyclopedias, Dorling Kindersley's DK Encyclopedias. As well as additional lessons laid out in an easy and open and go format. Additionally their is an list of needed items that is already compiles for you. Full year curriculum. PK-8. you can purchase from their site a complete package of what you'll need for the experiments. Secular.

MSNucleus is an inquiry based program for K-8 designed by NSF and California. Each week consists of 3 days. Day 1 is an introduction to the content, and often includes coloring, labelling, etc. Day 2 is the inquiry based activity – the kids figure out the concepts by playing with the materials in a directed way. Most of these activities are all about exploration and are not full of instructions. Day 3 brings it all together and tries to extend the ideas. Each year covers biology, earth/space science, chemistry, and physics through these topics: applied science, the universe, the rock cycle, the water cycle, the plate techtonic cylcle, and the life cycle. You can buy the kits to do the program, but you need a lot of them so the price adds up. Parental involvement required. Secular.

Connect the Thoughts These courses cover science basics in biology, oceanography, meteorology, chemistry, physics, and astronomy, and there is a final science review and project course. Good for students needing to round out a particular course. Includes documentaries and simple tests. Year long, K-8 courses available. Can be used independently. Secular

Biology

How Nature Works: Overview of biological sciences, with clear, concise text, plenty of supportive photos, and fairly simple hands-on experiments/projects. Good for mid-late elementary and logic. Would be a great preview of biology before using The Way Life Works!

How the Body Works: same format and recommendations as book above. Would be a good precursor to The Way We Work.

The Nature Connection: An Outdoor Workbook for Kids, Families, and Classrooms by Clare Walker Leslie. A guide with worksheet pages for learning naturalist skills, including weather, cycles, and biology topics, arranged by the seasons. Grammar stage, but could be useful for some logic stage students. Full year nature curriculum. Cannot be done independently by most students.

Blood and Guts by Linda Allison

Covers human body systems with some text and lots of hands on projects. Grammar stage. Partial year curriculum or supplement to another program. Projects cannot be done independently by most students.

Earth/Space Science

How the Earth Works (earth science)

How the Universe Works (astronomy)

How the Weather Works (weather)

Shaping the Earth by Dorothy Henshaw Patent

Covers the origins of the earth and the geologic forces that continue to shape the earth. Narrative, with photo images. Logic stage, but can be read aloud for grammar stage.

Chemistry

The Elements by McHenry - Focuses on atomic structure, basic bonding, and trends in the periodic table. Large focus on becoming familiar with the periodic table. Includes numerous games to memorize symbol names and facts about the elements. Includes links to good websites, easy experiments with everyday materials, and crafts just for fun. Can be used with either elementary or logic stage students. A 1/2 year course.

Physics

Logic

Biology

The Way Life Works - Introduction to biochemistry and evolution using cartoons. Logic Stage Biology

The Way We Work. It's how the human body works, David Macaulay style. Best for logic stage, but I've read small portions to my grammar stage kids. There's one particular pencil drawing in the reproduction section that may not sit well with some parents. If you're not ready to discuss how sperm actually gets into the uterus, skip this one.

Earth/Space Science

Chemistry

The Cartoon Guide to Chemistry - a complete introduction to chemistry written at the high school level, but accessible to advanced middle school students. Does include some quantitative topics.

Physics

The New Way Things Work - Explains with wonderful diagrams how simple machines work. Covers gears, flight, sound, and magnetism. Late elementary to Logic Stage Physics

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 3

David Macaulay also has The Way WE Work. Link. It's how the human body works, David Macaulay style. Best for logic stage, but I've read small portions to my grammar stage kids. There's one particular pencil drawing in the reproduction section that may not sit well with some parents. If you're not ready to discuss how sperm actually gets into the uterus, skip this one. I don't remember seeing an overlay of any sort, but I haven't read the whole book.

Hi Ruth,

Sometime back there was a thread discussing science options and I compiled a spreadsheet of K-8 curricula and resources.

It's not to the level of detail you've asked, but I hope it can help fill in some blanks.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhUJB5nahkOtdHhWTFRyS3ZrRjhPZkh3VV93Q0tvdFE&authkey=CI28ruwN&authkey=CI28ruwN#gid=0

Books:

How Nature Works: Overview of biological sciences, with clear, concise text, plenty of supportive photos, and fairly simple hands-on experiments/projects. Good for mid-late elementary and logic. Would be a great preview of biology before using The Way Life Works!

How the Body Works: same format and recommendations as book above. Would be a good precursor to The Way We Work.

Other titles in this series (see above for description & recommendations):

How the Earth Works (earth science)

How the Universe Works (astronomy)

How Science Works (chemistry, physics)

How Things Work (physics/technology)

How the Weather Works (weather)

The World in a Drop of Water: Exploring with a Microscope: a fantastic introduction for later elementary/early logic stage kids on using a microscope and microscopic life in freshwater. Nice conversational tone of writing, clear photography.

Life in a Bucket of Soil: Great introduction to underground/earth-dwelling creatures - worms, ants, snails, slugs, etc. Covers everything from feeding to reproduction and more. Again, for later elementary/early logic stage kids.

The Code of Life: An introduction to and overview of how DNA works, how a human cell develops, what happens when "the code" goes wrong, the field of genetic engineering, and related topics. Again, clear writing, plenty of b+w photos to enhance reading. Logic stage, or advanced late elementary.

The Magic of Reality: a book that covers a wide range of natural phenomena in almost conversational tones. Lots of intriguing illustrations. Covers everything from fossils, plants, and animals to continental drift, tsunamis, and more. DOES HAVE EVOLUTIONARY CONTENT. Also good for late elementary to logic stage kids.

Curriculum:

Lab of Mr. Q: fact filled and humorous writing helps draw kids in. Lots of hands-on. Currently offers elementary level biology, chemistry, physics and earth/space, plus a more advanced chemistry. I think more levels are on their way. Lots of graphics add to the appeal, plus there are worksheets, scientific vocabulary lessons, etc. The life science is available FREE OF CHARGE as a download. All books in pdf format.

Inquiry Science! It is an approach/method, not a curriculum.

Nurturing Inquiry is my inspiration. I also like Organizing Wonder. The 5E model is very helpful as well.

A (too) short description? Observe, read, and otherwise immerse yourself in science, which is everywhere (and impossible to miss if you purposefully tune in to it). Ask questions. Discern whether they are research questions (look answer up in a book) or testable questions (design experiments to find answers). Research or test to find answers. Document your findings. So easy! And oodles of fun!

Your questions are the basis for your curriculum, so it can last forever. As an added bonus, your questions will lead your kids to a surprisingly quick and easy understanding of the fundamental connection between all branches of science.

Suitable for all ages, from baby (Exhibit A :tongue_smilie:) to PhD. ;)

Students can work independently or as a group.

The only tests are those which your little scientists design themselves. (Another bonus? They will be significantly more likely to remember what they learn a week/month/year after the test. :D)

Is as secular or faith-based as your questions make it.

Supplies not included. :lol:

Books

The Usborne Science Encyclopedia

Overview of most topics in science and technology, with a two page spread about each topic containing text, images, internet links and very simple demonstration experiments. Grammar stage or logic stage.

Shaping the Earth by Dorothy Henshaw Patent

Covers the origins of the earth and the geologic forces that continue to shape the earth. Narrative, with photo images. Logic stage, but can be read aloud for grammar stage.

Curricula

The Nature Connection: An Outdoor Workbook for Kids, Families, and Classrooms by Clare Walker Leslie

A guide with worksheet pages for learning naturalist skills, including weather, cycles, and biology topics, arranged by the seasons. Grammar stage, but could be useful for some logic stage students. Full year nature curriculum. Cannot be done independently by most students.

Blood and Guts by Linda Allison

Covers human body systems with some text and lots of hands on projects. Grammar stage. Partial year curriculum or supplement to another program. Projects cannot be done independently by most students.

Do you want experiment books, Ruth? What about series? I understand wanting bigger resources for your list, but I think of something like a good series of books as being as good as a bigger title.

Sometime back there was a thread discussing science options and I compiled a spreadsheet of K-8 curricula and resources.

It's not to the level of detail you've asked, but I hope it can help fill in some blanks.

Wonderful! This is a great head start.

Do you want experiment books, Ruth? What about series? I understand wanting bigger resources for your list, but I think of something like a good series of books as being as good as a bigger title.

Yes, I think series would be good if they cover an entire topic as a set. I just don't want to get buried in the living books, yet.

Not experiment books, yet. Eventually, yes, but I think I need to keep to the basics first, or the sorting will be very difficult.

Is it a curriculum, experiment set, or book? curriculum

Title plus a link Elemental Science http://elementalscience.com/

A brief description a science book has laid out lessons using science books from WTM. ie. Kingfisher encyclopedias, Useborne encyclopedias, Dorling Kindersley's DK Encyclopedias. As well as additional lessons laid out in an easy and open and go format. Additionally their is an list of needed items that is already compiles for you.

If it is a complete or partial year course (if a curriculum) Full year

Level of material or what types of students would enjoy it There is are curriculums for Preschool- 8th grade.

If a student can use it independently We've been using the younger age books, but I've read that it is set up to be independent as the child gets to 5th grade.

If it includes tests ? (not for younger years but not sure for the older grades)

If it includes the supplies needed for experiments You can purchase from their site a complete package of what you'll need for the experiments.

Please note if the material has a christian overlay, YE approach, or other important overlay She's tried to keep the books neutral.

We've been using the Exploring Science for preschool and really love it. I've looked at the other grades and think they look nicely put together.

MSNucleus is an inquiry based program for K-8 designed by NSF and California. Each week consists of 3 days. Day 1 is an introduction to the content, and often includes coloring, labelling, etc. Day 2 is the inquiry based activity – the kids figure out the concepts by playing with the materials in a directed way. Most of these activities are all about exploration and are not full of instructions. Day 3 brings it all together and tries to extend the ideas. Each year covers biology, earth/space science, chemistry, and physics through these topics: applied science, the universe, the rock cycle, the water cycle, the plate techtonic cylcle, and the life cycle. You can buy the kits to do the program, but you need a lot of them so the price adds up. Parental involvement required.

Title plus a link: Connect the Thoughts

A brief description: SCIENCE COURSES OVERVIEW

A student needing a particular course to round out curriculum could use any of these courses. These cover science basics, biology, oceanography, meteorology (the study of weather and of the atmosphere), chemistry, physics, astronomy and space exploration, and there is a final science review and project course. Again, these courses include many films and documentaries.

If it is a complete or partial year course (if a curriculum): many full years available

Level of material or what types of students would enjoy it: three levels - lower elementary, upper elementary, middle/high

If a student can use it independently - yes, when they are reading independently

If it includes tests: yes, but the ones I've seen so far are purely knowledge-based questions

If it includes the supplies needed for experiments: no

Please note if the material has a christian overlay, YE approach, or other important overlay: secular

Elementary and logic mixture

Smaller books (might go in the big list, but having trouble with space)

The World in a Drop of Water: Exploring with a Microscope: a fantastic introduction for later elementary/early logic stage kids on using a microscope and microscopic life in freshwater. Nice conversational tone of writing, clear photography.

Life in a Bucket of Soil: Great introduction to underground/earth-dwelling creatures - worms, ants, snails, slugs, etc. Covers everything from feeding to reproduction and more. Again, for later elementary/early logic stage kids.

The Code of Life: An introduction to and overview of how DNA works, how a human cell develops, what happens when "the code" goes wrong, the field of genetic engineering, and related topics. Again, clear writing, plenty of b+w photos to enhance reading. Logic stage, or advanced late elementary.

The Magic of Reality: a book that covers a wide range of natural phenomena in almost conversational tones. Lots of intriguing illustrations. Covers everything from fossils, plants, and animals to continental drift, tsunamis, evolution, and more. Late elementary to logic stage kids.

Edited by lewelma

Videos (from this thread)

General Science

Bill Nye

Magic School Bus.

Beakman's World,

Wild Kratts.

Mythbusters

NOVA

Disney Science of Imagineering videos

Happy Scientist!

www.hookedonscience.org

National Geographic Kids

NOVA Science Now

Royal Institution - especially the Christmas Lectures for kids

Sci Q

Crash Course on youtube

Design Squad Nation

Science Friday They also have great podcasts

SciGirls

BrainPop

TED Talks

SciGirls is on itunes

Hemo the Magnificent and Unchained Goddess

Head Rush

Experimentation

Steve Spangler videos.

http://www.youtube.com/SteveSpanglerScience

http://www.youtube.com/TheSpanglerEffect

http://www.youtube.com/SpanglerScienceTV

Technology

How It's Made

Modern Marvels

Popular Mechanics for Kids

How Stuff Works - you can spend days here

Prototype This

Engineering an Empire series

Physics

Minute Physics – internet

The Way Things Work

Eureka! cartoon shorts

BBC The atom

Newton' Workshop

Minute Physics

Chemistry

The Periodic Table of Videos. – internet

BBC Chemistry: a volatile history

Chemistry Calendar

Biology

anything by David Attenborough

Blue Planet,

Life of Birds,

life of Animals,

Private life of Plants

Life in the Freezer,

Life in the Undergrowth,

Life in Cold Blood, and the

Trials of Life series

Attenborough in Paradise.

Wild China

Wild Africa

Shark week

Atlas Discovery (some mature themes)- China, Brazil, Australia

Jeff Corwin, John Acorn (Acorn the Nature Nut)

Kratt brothers Be the Creature

Journey to the Edge of Creation

Wonders of Creation

Astronomy

NASA videos

Robot astronomy on youtube

Earth Science

Planet Earth,

Frozen Earth

Earth: A Biography

Awesome Forces of God's Creation

• Like 1

I don't see The Private Eye on your list. It is a book/unit study type approach. It wouldn't necessarily be a stand alone book but the methods would enhance any science curriculum. It details how to use jewelers loupes in science studies. There are activities and some worksheets available. http://the-private-eye.com/index.html

It's Pre-K to adult. Any age at any point can benefit from the method.

I see that you have Evan Moor listed but I also wanted to add the ScienceWorks unit studies. http://www.evan-moor.com/Product.aspx?SeriesID=115 Each book is a stand alone unit study on a particular topic. I've had very good success with the K-1 Level.

Also I'm not sure if you're listing activity style books that enhance a science topic, but the Janice VanCleave books are great. And we love the Explorabook. Mudpies to magnets is great for the pre-K and K level.

Edited by Walking-Iris

I think the idea is great too.

I'm happy to collate, but I cannot write up reviews for each curriculum. We have the list (thanks to Leeyeewah), but a summary of each would be really handy for Newbies. I could just search the board for each curriculum and write up a description for each, but without having seen them, this approach would be hard. (I might still do it, though). The next thing I am going to do is collate the living books list from the megathread a few weeks ago.

So for those of you who use science curricula, write up a short description of what you use and post it!

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

Title plus a link Otter's Science Curriculum: The Human Body

A brief description A free science curriculum that schedules in lots of living books, activities, experiments, videos, etc.

Level of material or what types of students would enjoy it There are 3 levels:

• Little Otter's Science for preschool through 1st grade or so
  • Otter's Science - 2nd - 6th grade but easily adapted to up to 8th grade
  • Big Otter's Science - high school

If a student can use it independently It depends on which level you choose...

• Level 1: no - a parent needs to read the books out loud and supervise activities
  • Level 2: It's possible that a student could do a lot of the reading and activities alone, but mom would need to supervise and be involved for some of it
  • Level 3: Can be used independently and was in fact designed for that

If it includes tests No

If it includes the supplies needed for experiments No, but there is a list of supplies

Please note if the material has a christian overlay, YE approach, or other important overlay Totally secular but with notes of interest to Christians (potential pages to skip in books, etc.)

I designed this for my son and he had a terrific year. I've received lots of great feedback about it from many others as well!

• Like 1

Title plus a link Otter's Chemistry

A brief description A free chemistry curriculum that schedules in lots of living books, activities, experiments, videos, etc.

It schedules in a choice in spines such as Ellen McHenry's chemistry programs.

Late elementary school age through middle school

It would be enjoyed by kids who like hands-on experiments and a variety of material (instead of just working out of a text).

No - but a student can do a lot of the reading and activities alone, if motivated.

If it includes tests No

If it includes the supplies needed for experiments No

Please note if the material has a christian overlay, YE approach, or other important overlay Secular, with Christian options

This was one of our fave years for science.

Title plus a link Otter's Botany

A brief description A free botany curriculum that schedules in lots of living books, activities, experiments, videos, etc. It also includes a free packet of printables designed to accompany the main text and other scheduled books. The printables include a variety of activities to help students retain the material better.

If it is a complete or partial year course (if a curriculum) Full year, but flexible (you can study various topics and easily shorten the study if desired)

Designed for late elementary - middle school students with a supplement for younger siblings being developed (partially posted at this time). It can also be used for high school if you ditch some of the easier materials.

It would be enjoyed by kids who like hands-on experiments and a variety of materials (instead of just working out of a text).

No - but a student can do a lot of the reading and activities alone, if motivated.

If it includes tests Yes, but they are not completed yet (I'm working on them!)

Please note if the material has a christian overlay, YE approach, or other important overlay Secular, but some notes are included for Christian parents for sections of text that mention evolution or other items of possible concern

Edited by jenn&charles

Title plus a link Otter's Physical Science Schedule

A brief description A free physical science curriculum that schedules in lots of living books, activities, experiments, videos, etc.

It schedules in activities centered around 2 spines: Apologia Physical Science AND/OR Exploring Education's Advanced Physical Science Program

Designed for advanced late elementary - middle school students. I also have suggestions for younger students studying the same stuff here:

http://www.guesthollow.com/homeschool/curriculum.html (scroll down to where it says "Otter's Physics").

It would be enjoyed by kids who are science nuts and want MORE.

It's also a great supplement for activities & book suggestions to help students learn and retain concepts better.

If it includes tests No - but there are tests included in the Apologia curriculum or Exploring Education curriculum

Please note if the material has a christian overlay, YE approach, or other important overlay It can be used as either a Christian curriculum (if you are using Apologia) or secular (if you are using Exploring Education) as your "spine".

If you want to use it without either of those spines (there is plenty of supplementary material that may make either of those unnecessary depending on what your goals are) it is secular with Christian options.

Edited by jenn&charles

Is it a curriculum, experiment set, or book? curriculum supplement, but can stand-alone

Title plus a link Sea & Sky "Extras"

Although this is listed as a free supplement to the WinterPromise Adventures in Sea & Sky curriculum, it's pretty complete on its own if you want to study the ocean, flight and space (astronomy) over the course of a year.

A brief description A free science curriculum supplement that schedules in lots of living books, activities, experiments, videos, etc.

It was designed to compliment WinterPromise's Sea & Sky curriculum.

It would work best for elementary students. Kids who enjoy hands-on activities, lapbooks, videos, recipes, etc. would like it.

If it includes tests No

Please note if the material has a christian overlay, YE approach, or other important overlay The WP program is Christian. This supplement is secular.

Edited by jenn&charles

Video for physics

BBC Shock and Awe: the story of electricity.

Videos for Biology

BBC-The Incredible Human Journey (There are two versions of this-The longer UK version with Alice Roberts and the rest of the world version without Alice Roberts, just a voiceover and shorter)

BBC - Origins of us (Evolution)

BBC-Botany: a Blooming History

Edited by lailasmum

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Oh my gosh how did I miss this?!

Weird timing.....I was just working on a list like this just this morning for my blog. :blink:

Then I realized what a huge task it was and I would need much more coffee and time.

I thought the SAME thing! Happy to see that my bump is not just benefiting me!

• 1 year later...

Considering God's Creation- Christian based, VERY inexpensive, best quick lap book, with hands on games and observation sheets, and cd song science from creation to the sixth day of creation, covering astronomy to geology, botany, marine bio, zoology, and human anatomy with apologetics. You could do as fast or slow as you want.

I use it to fill in gaps with any science aside from chem and physics.

Inquiry in Action, American Chemical Society,  free chemistry curriculum grades 3-8  http://www.inquiryinaction.org/   (secular--no position)

Is it a curriculum, experiment set, or book?  curriculum

A brief description What causes certain substances to dissolve in water? Why do some liquids bead up on wax paper while others spread out? These questions and many more are explored in Inquiry in Action, a 470-page resource of guided, inquiry-based activities that covers basic chemistry concepts along with the process of scientific investigation.
If it is a complete or partial year course (if a curriculum)  Full year (30+ lessons)
Level of material or what types of students would enjoy it  They said 3-8 grade
If a student can use it independently No
If it includes tests No

Middle School Chemistry, American Chemical Society, free chemistry curriculum, middle school   http://www.middleschoolchemistry.com/  (secular--no position)

Is it a curriculum, experiment set, or book?  curriculum

A brief description What happens when solids, liquids, and gases are heated and cooled? Why is one substance more or less dense than another? What causes certain substances to dissolve in water? What happens when a chemical reaction takes place?

These questions and many more are explored in Middle School Chemistry, a resource of guided, inquiry-based lesson plans that covers basic chemistry concepts along with the process of scientific investigation.

If it is a complete or partial year course (if a curriculum)  Full year (41 lessons)
Level of material or what types of students would enjoy it  They say 6-8 grade
If a student can use it independently No
If it includes tests No
If it includes the supplies needed for experiments No

Novare Physical Science: http://www.novarescienceandmath.com/catalog/nsm-physical-science/

"Aesthetically mature graphics, accurate explanations, and thorough treatment of the foundational principles of the physical sciences characterize this text from start to finish. Each chapter starts with a set of quantifiable objectives. Frequent Ă¢â‚¬Å“Learning ChecksĂ¢â‚¬ provide a moment to stop and review. Vocabulary is listed and clearly defined. And most chapters include an Ă¢â‚¬Å“Experimental InvestigationĂ¢â‚¬ with instructions and materials listed."

Christian; Old Earth; full-year text; 349 pages; hardback published in 2013; Grades 6-8; $75.00/text;

Companion Materials include:

I have not used this text, but I came across it while looking for an alternative to Apologia.  There are 2 reviews, however, that you can read here: http://curriculum.handinhandhomeschool.com/?p=5146  and http://curriculum.handinhandhomeschool.com/?p=5146

Title plus a link
A brief description 
If it includes tests

I'll share a review of Delta Science in a Nutshell kits.  

These kits are appropriate for elementary students. They are easy to grade up or down by simply tweaking how you do the student journals.  For a young student, do the journals orally.  For a middler, do a mix of scribing/copying their own writing.  For an older student, expect complete sentences and focus on answering the question directly.  These are not intended to be independent, but I think an older child could do (or lead) the lessons easily.  

These Kits come with an Activity Guide, which gives the teacher background info to share with the students and directions for the experiments. They also come with 3 student journals (handy for HSers who have 3 dc!), and you can buy extra journals if needed.  The student journals give a place to document data and answer questions that guide the students into discovering the concepts, following scientific method.  The journals are nice quality booklets.  Most materials needed for the experiments are included in the plastic tote. The only things not included are things like pencils and water.  When I say "most," I really mean most.  There are occasionally activities that require a field trip, like the time we gathered pond water samples.

I've not used every kit, but I've never seen any material that would be inconsistent with either the YE or the OE POV.  The Guide is rather bare bones.  I flesh the kits out with living books.  Each kit will last 4-6 weeks if you do science 2-3x per week.  I bought 6 kits for this school year, and it has been the right amount.  

Wow.  Are you guys going to make me work on this again?  I never finished it because everyone who wanted to contribute already had, but we certainly did not get through all the curricula that are out there.  So if more people want to add reviews, I will organize them and put them in the summary sections.

Ruth in NZ

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My go-to resource is in the list, but doesn't have a description in the thread, so adding one...

Curriculum

Title plus a link

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding (BFSU), http://www.pressforlearning.com

A brief description

BFSU lessons are arranged into four threads: Nature of Matter (chemistry); Life Sciences; Physical Science; Earth and Space Science. In each area, there is a progression of lessons that build understanding in systematic steps. The books are designed as instruction and guidance for the parent and are not written for the child directly. They can be considered as a parent manual on how to introduce and discuss each topic, with information given for supplemental resources.

Each book contains topics to cover three years of science

The issue tends to be more whether parents enjoy it. In no way is this an open-and-go curriculum. It builds to a deep exploration of scientific topics, but a parent must be comfortable enough to teach it. The K-2 book requires minimal prep (perhaps 15 minutes per topic) but the prep work intensifies in higher levels. There are 3 books in the series: K-2, 3-5, 6-8.

No

If it includes tests

No

No

Secular

Book series

Title plus a link

Basher Books, http://www.basherbooks.com

A brief description

Book series written in an engaging encyclopedia style with cartoon-like illustrations

Generally late elementary and logic stage. Best for kids who want a wide overview of a subject before adding depth.