Menu

Dream with me: States with more moderate weather patterns

I grew up in MO, live there now. We were in the south for 5 years, loved the winters, got used to the humidity for the most part. This is our second winter back in MO and I'm already not looking forward to it. I hate being cold. The summer was so hot we did basically nothing outdoors. The nice weather lasted about a week. I have exercise induced asthma so walking in extreme hot or cold is hard for me. We have no desire to move in the future because of job, finances, and family, but I'm dreaming about living in a place with more constant warmer temps, not quite as hot as Florida. I dislike snow and ice with extreme passion.

So what states have more moderate year round temps? California would be out because of the expense. The lower southern states are probably too hot for dh. What about Pacific NW? North Carolina? Coastal Georgia?

We've been through hurricanes, tornadoes, and even felt an earthquake once, so I'm not too afraid of extreme areas. The thought of forest fires still freak me out though.

Not NY, that's for sure. And not CT..not MA...

I wonder about some parts of PA. It's a bit like here, but seems more moderate. But the regs are even worse than here.

I'm always dreaming about the same thing. *sigh*

I've never been to PA, I'm sure it's pretty. It always gets knocked off the list because of the homeschooling regulations.

We live in NC and love the weather. It is hot in the summer but we have mild weather in September, October, November, March, and April.

Ah, that sounds nice. I remember the year dh moved south and I was still up here. It was -20F wind chill before Christmas, that was such a cold year. I would like to have a real fall. This year it's already in the 30s at night. It could be 70 degrees next week though.

We enjoy visiting. I would move there in a heartbeat if it weren't for the regs. PA people claim it's not that bad, but I dunno.

I don't do red tape very well. I make dh deal with all the BS from utilities and stuff. I don't think I'd manage well there.

off to try and get some more sleep, hopefully.

Edited by elegantlion

Here it's busywork. I just tell them what they want to hear and do my own thing honestly. I would not enjoy having to do something like a portfolio though. Or having someone look over my kid's work. At least we don't have to do that.

I wonder about the weather in Washington state.

Ok...I googled Seattle:

That sounds pretty good!

Yes, but it's really, really wet on the west coast of WA. We lived in southern BC for 8 1/2 years. I loved the mild weather--summers were awesome--but rain--solid, daily, often heavy--from October through (sometimes) June got old, really old.

I am from DC. The summers can be brutal at times but the winters are mild and fall and spring are long and nice.

Yes, fairly close to the Pacific Ocean, Oregon, Washington, and Northern CA all meet your criteria. Also Vancouver and Victoria Island in BC. Northern AL is close to this- though warmer in the summer. It was my choice of where to live after I lived in my perfect climate-Belgium- which is also a marine temperate.

Northern AL is not marine temperate but here in the mountains, it is closest without being it. Why? The mountains, trees, and lots of water keep the temperatures down in the summer and keep them up in the winter. WInter is mostly rain, not snow. Flowers grow all year round in marine temperate and also here. Anyway, I was choosing based on where my dh could get a civilian job in his field and have the closest climate to my desired. As it turned out, I got my first choice but it really was the USAF's choice for my dh. We just really, really lucked out. (At my dh's rank, there are no wish lists for assignments-you get what they give you).

We live in the mountains of Western NC. It is incredibly beautiful, we get four seasons, summers are not too hot (some would disagree, but I'm from Florida), and just enough winter to feel like you've had one. I love, love it here.

Come live near me, Paula. :001_smile:

As I've said before, I would not cut PA off of your list because of the homeschooling regs. It is seriously not that bad. And the weather is generally pretty mild -- we get enough winter to appreciate the warmth, and enough summer to appreciate the cold, and spring and fall are heavenly. Even the worst winters don't generally compare to New England, and the summers are nothing like in the south. We didn't get the drought this summer, and we're not prone to earthquakes or tornadoes or much else -- all of it's possible, but it's just not a big area for anything, weather-wise.

And the people -- the people are wonderful here. So friendly, so welcoming. And despite the regs, very homeschooling-friendly.

We lived in Western PA and I thought it was freezing! I guess it is all about perspective. I thought the summers were almost non-existent and it snowed almost every day between Nov-March. It would pile up into huge mountains of snow in parking lots because of being plowed to the side and then never melting. It was a wonderful, friendly community, however. I don't want to knock PA. I haven't found a similar community anywhere else and we have been lots of places.

I like coastal SC and GA. It does get humid but the sea breezes keep it from being so miserable. I don't think I'd like the Pacific NW. I need my sunshine. We spent some time in San Francisco and I'd heard so much about how temperate it is year round. Um....no. If cold and overcast is how you like it, then it may be perfect, but I find 68 and windy to be chilly.

I've heard Hawaii is nice and warm year round! :tongue_smilie:

Let's keep this going, please. We are in the same boat. We are in Tampa Bay area, FL and I HATE the weather here. We are only here for father in law. When he is no longer with us, I am making a bee-line for somewhere with decent weather. Husband works from home, so very easy for us to move. I have been researching since we moved here (2 1/2 years ago) for where to go next. I want to hear about everyone's weather.

When we lived on the DelMarVa peninsula I thought the weather was incredibly mild. Of course, I'm from the Midwest where we get crazy swings, and the peninsula is surrounded by water so it stays much more constant. I think it has to do with perspective.

Speaking of which, I'd never put PA on the list for nice, mild weather. But it's a big state, so maybe there are pockets that are better than others.

I grew up in Minnesota, so my comment is formed by my early childhood.

New Jersey has terrific weather. We experience all four seasons - and spring and fall are wonderful - winter is cold and a bit snowy but nothing like as hard as a Minnesota winter. Summer in July and August is hot, but, again, not has humid or buggy as MN.

The Mid-Atlantic region is very nice weather-wise. :001_smile:

NJ, DE, MD, VA

We moved to Middle TN from CA. I actually prefer the weather here:). I love getting a taste of all four seasons, but without the extremes. We get a little snow once or twice a year (just enough to play in), we get the warm summer nights, and fall and spring are gorgeous!! The summer humidity might bother some people, but I don't mind it.

Here it's busywork. I just tell them what they want to hear and do my own thing honestly. I would not enjoy having to do something like a portfolio though. Or having someone look over my kid's work. At least we don't have to do that.

I wonder about the weather in Washington state.

Ok...I googled Seattle:

That sounds pretty good!

Yes, but it's really, really wet on the west coast of WA. We lived in southern BC for 8 1/2 years. I loved the mild weather--summers were awesome--but rain--solid, daily, often heavy--from October through (sometimes) June got old, really old.

I am from DC. The summers can be brutal at times but the winters are mild and fall and spring are long and nice.

I don't mind rain, but I'm still iffy about the amount.

Yes, fairly close to the Pacific Ocean, Oregon, Washington, and Northern CA all meet your criteria. Also Vancouver and Victoria Island in BC. Northern AL is close to this- though warmer in the summer. It was my choice of where to live after I lived in my perfect climate-Belgium- which is also a marine temperate.

Northern AL is not marine temperate but here in the mountains, it is closest without being it. Why? The mountains, trees, and lots of water keep the temperatures down in the summer and keep them up in the winter. WInter is mostly rain, not snow. Flowers grow all year round in marine temperate and also here. Anyway, I was choosing based on where my dh could get a civilian job in his field and have the closest climate to my desired. As it turned out, I got my first choice but it really was the USAF's choice for my dh. We just really, really lucked out. (At my dh's rank, there are no wish lists for assignments-you get what they give you).

I wondered about that the Northern part of the state. I think overall marine temperate would work for me.

Central Texas (Austin area), or Dallas-Ft. Worth.

We almost moved to Texas, wish we would have done so earlier. I love Austin area. Dallas seems to get a lot of ice lately.

We live in the mountains of Western NC. It is incredibly beautiful, we get four seasons, summers are not too hot (some would disagree, but I'm from Florida), and just enough winter to feel like you've had one. I love, love it here.

Come live near me, Paula. :001_smile:

That would be awesome. We went to the Bristol Nascar race for a few years. Our hotel was in Asheville. Dh loved it because he thought the road over the mountain was a racetrack. Good thing I trusted his driving. That area is probably closest nature wise to what I like best.

As I've said before, I would not cut PA off of your list because of the homeschooling regs. It is seriously not that bad. And the weather is generally pretty mild -- we get enough winter to appreciate the warmth, and enough summer to appreciate the cold, and spring and fall are heavenly. Even the worst winters don't generally compare to New England, and the summers are nothing like in the south. We didn't get the drought this summer, and we're not prone to earthquakes or tornadoes or much else -- all of it's possible, but it's just not a big area for anything, weather-wise.

And the people -- the people are wonderful here. So friendly, so welcoming. And despite the regs, very homeschooling-friendly.

I would love to see some of these states in the fall.

We lived in Western PA and I thought it was freezing! I guess it is all about perspective. I thought the summers were almost non-existent and it snowed almost every day between Nov-March. It would pile up into huge mountains of snow in parking lots because of being plowed to the side and then never melting. It was a wonderful, friendly community, however. I don't want to knock PA. I haven't found a similar community anywhere else and we have been lots of places.

I like coastal SC and GA. It does get humid but the sea breezes keep it from being so miserable. I don't think I'd like the Pacific NW. I need my sunshine. We spent some time in San Francisco and I'd heard so much about how temperate it is year round. Um....no. If cold and overcast is how you like it, then it may be perfect, but I find 68 and windy to be chilly.

I've heard Hawaii is nice and warm year round! :tongue_smilie:

MO is big like that, and has two pretty distinct weather patterns depending upon which part of the state you live. Hawaii would be great for short term. Paradise is expensive.

Southern CA at the coast. I'm like you, I don't like it hot or cold. Southern CA offered the best of that for me.

I'd love to do a split year, maybe AZ in late fall/winter and somewhere on Cape Cod, MA late spring/all summer/early fall.

Ahhh a girl can dream!

Ah, yes, the solution, two houses. I wish too. I think I would really love southern CA weather.

Let's keep this going, please. We are in the same boat. We are in Tampa Bay area, FL and I HATE the weather here. We are only here for father in law. When he is no longer with us, I am making a bee-line for somewhere with decent weather. Husband works from home, so very easy for us to move. I have been researching since we moved here (2 1/2 years ago) for where to go next. I want to hear about everyone's weather.

We used to want to move to FL, almost did a few times, jobs kept us here. After living in the south for five years I do think the heat would be too much.

When we lived on the DelMarVa peninsula I thought the weather was incredibly mild. Of course, I'm from the Midwest where we get crazy swings, and the peninsula is surrounded by water so it stays much more constant. I think it has to do with perspective.

Speaking of which, I'd never put PA on the list for nice, mild weather. But it's a big state, so maybe there are pockets that are better than others.

Yes, again, that's like MO.

I grew up in Minnesota, so my comment is formed by my early childhood.

New Jersey has terrific weather. We experience all four seasons - and spring and fall are wonderful - winter is cold and a bit snowy but nothing like as hard as a Minnesota winter. Summer in July and August is hot, but, again, not has humid or buggy as MN.

The Mid-Atlantic region is very nice weather-wise. :001_smile:

NJ, DE, MD, VA

DH lived in MN for 4 years. He hates snow and cold, I'm not sure how he actually survived. I went there one year in July and froze. I do hear NJ is a great place to live.

We moved to Middle TN from CA. I actually prefer the weather here:). I love getting a taste of all four seasons, but without the extremes. We get a little snow once or twice a year (just enough to play in), we get the warm summer nights, and fall and spring are gorgeous!! The summer humidity might bother some people, but I don't mind it.

MO gets pretty humid too. I really don't like changing seasons, I would prefer spring and fall all year. I remember seeing flowers bloom in February in the south and just being amazed.

:iagree: I also would love to live in a milder region.

Where is Utopia?

Perhaps a personal weather bubble, that would be nice. :lol:

I lived in Cambrige, England for a year. The weather there is pretty-much perfect. All four seasons but very mild. Do you fancy a trans-atlantic move?

Fancy one? Absolutely, but probably not in the cards ever. *sigh* I would love to live in England for a while.

Central AZ. My grandparents retired to Sedona, AZ and while it didn't have quite as nice weather as CA, it was still pretty darn nice. :001_smile:

I have family that lived in Sedona, I think I would love it.

I lived in Cambrige, England for a year. The weather there is pretty-much perfect. All four seasons but very mild. Do you fancy a trans-atlantic move?

I want four mild seasons! How are bugs, are they big and numerous? That is the only thing keeping us from moving furthers south :glare:. We keep tossing Charleston, SC around, but I don't know if I can deal with the enormous roaches.

I want four mild seasons! How are bugs, are they big and numerous? That is the only thing keeping us from moving furthers south :glare:. We keep tossing Charleston, SC around, but I don't know if I can deal with the enormous roaches.

We had those lovely palmetto bugs where we used to live. Now my son's only phobia is big flying bugs. He'll rescue me from spiders, he's picked up snakes, but those darn giant flying cockroaches from Hades are just nasty.

I do miss my lizards, they were fun.

We enjoy visiting. I would move there in a heartbeat if it weren't for the regs. PA people claim it's not that bad, but I dunno.

It *IS* that bad! We lived there for nine years, for three we had to follow the homeschooling laws. UGH! Never again.

We have also looked at places to live that have moderate temps year round and only southern CA fit. Costs are much too high, especially since we would want acreage. DH wants FL but I want nothing to do with that kind of humidity. I hope someone comes up with someplace that fits everything!

Sorry Ellie, NOT Dallas/Ft. Worth. BTDT, we seeded our lawn in 116 degree temps!! I am in SE now, even with humidity, its not as hot as DFW!

I have family in Dallas. It seems they are getting more extreme weather than they used to. I know they received more ice than we have in some years.

It *IS* that bad! We lived there for nine years, for three we had to follow the homeschooling laws. UGH! Never again.

We have also looked at places to live that have moderate temps year round and only southern CA fit. Costs are much too high, especially since we would want acreage. DH wants FL but I want nothing to do with that kind of humidity. I hope someone comes up with someplace that fits everything!

We seriously considered buying an RV and living in it while traveling. It would have given us time to really check out a place. Sadly, the opportunity never quite jelled.

I thought Montana was pretty temperate, we did get large amounts of snow but it was dry rather than wetly cold the way snow in Oregon is. I've lived in the Pacific Northwest most of my life and the only accurate thing about Twilight was describing the weather on the western side of the Cascades, rain until you feel like you're under the sea in the winter and slightly less rain in the summers. Eastern Oregon and Washington are high desert so they get less wet, but more snow and higher summer heat. But there are WAY fewer people and towns there, like being 200 miles from the nearest department store or Walmart, so you have to be ok with that.

That sounds awesome to me.