Menu

Help me find an activity for DS 8

DD is just naturally in to everything. Right now she is in gymnastics twice a week.

DS so badly wants something to be involved in something but I just don't know what. He is not into the typical sports. He once mentioned golf but I checked around. That is just not going to be affordable right now. Not to mention the wetter months are here.

He tired Tae Kwon Do but really did not like it. I have to say I did not either. And there was a woman there who went beyond yelling and demanding the "yes mam/sir" thing. He was uncomfortable with that.

So I'm sort of stumped. He is a very mature type and not in to anything "silly." I don't know what my point is with that except that he seems much older than he is....and he is very tall for his age.

I don't mind spending a bit.

My 12yob, 9yog, and 8yog all take fencing at a Y. It is very reasonable price and It is a noncompetitivie club, so no matches or contests except during class or open gyms against anyone who wants to, sort of like pick up basketball, except its pick up fencing

Another vote for Cub Scouts. Most dens meet once a week and then have a Pack meeting once a month.

Or 4-H! He can choose from all sorts of projects: rocketry, robotics, dogs, small engines, leatherwork, you name it! It's not just cows and cooking any more!

I'm sort of not sure about scouts.

4-H? Hmm never thought of that. How do you find that locally? I guess I could google.

My ds has started CrossFit. They have kids classes also. He loves it. He's never actually enjoyed sports before. It helps that the instructors are fantastic at his gym, very positive and encouraging no matter your ability level!

Really? Wow that is something I would definitely be interested in. I have never heard of kids classes. He is very strong, but a bit on the husky side. He loves to "workout" with me though. I'll have to look in to that

Fencing. I would try the typical sports things even if he isn't interested, especially basketball. Many churches have teams that anyone can play and the Boys and Girls Clubs have good teams often with several homeschoolers. One thing we discovered is that those children who are not naturally athletic need to be pushed to practice and that with encouragement they will develop the skill. We let one of our sons, who sounds like yours, pass his childhood just dabbling in a few different sports (e.g., martial arts) and easily giving up. As an adult he wishes he had developed more skills and it's clear to us that he would have benefited from the goal directed discipline of team sports.

Our next son was similarly disinterested, but we had learned by that point to work with him on skills so that he could join a team and he ended up enjoying the experience more than he imagined. If you don't have a hoop, think about getting one or take him to a park where he can practice. Not every athlete is a natural.

I say go with fencing. My ds loves Tae Kwon Do and Jiu Jitsu, but even he has talked about starting fencing if we could find a good club. Are you looking for something active, or a club of any kind?

I'm going to look in to the fencing thing. I never thought of that one!

I'm sort of not sure about scouts.

4-H? Hmm never thought of that. How do you find that locally? I guess I could google.

My son also has an athletic sister in the middle of everything. We had zero luck with any other activities appealing to him, including 4-H, though he still participates on a minimal basis so he can put things in the fair. You can find 4-H clubs in your area by checking with your county extension office.

Despite my initial personal misgivings about scouts, it was the best fit for my son. I'm fully on board, now that I see the maturity and independence it has taught my son (and the goofiness :D). I am *so* glad I let him get into scouting.

Fencing is awesome! A warning though... if he loves the sport and eventually decides to get serious about it, it gets expensive quick.

Classes at the Y sound great, relaxed and affordable... but at a fencing school there's classes, private lessons, cost of gear (incl growing out of and breaking), annual fees, competition fees, and travel expenses.

Local theater?

Ice Skating?

Edited by helena

Swim team has been perfect here, for all my kids, but especially for my DS9. He gets to be part of a team (training, meets, social stuff), but performance is individual. He is an anxiety prone perfectionist, so it is great that this swimming lacks the pressure of most team sports (worries about letting down the team and all that).

You can give another martial arts place a try too. The first place we went to was awful. We found another place and have been there for 5 years. We love it. It's nothing like the first dojo we tried.

So I wouldn't rule out martial arts because it really does depend on the teacher.

Chess?

Tennis?

Swimming?

Dance?

Drums? (my 8 yr is begging to play drums)

I'm seconding the recommendation of 4H. I love the format for 4H--kids set goals in their record books, keep track of what they do to meet their goals, then reflect and report on how well they met their goals. Emphasis is on a positive attitude, not necessarily on meeting each and every goal.

I had trouble finding an activity for my non-sporty Ds when he was that age. We tried 4H dog club (happened to have a dog that was almost 2 and afraid of everything). Ds loves 4H b/c of all the speaking and organizing opportunities and he loves dog training, especially agility. It has been 5 years, but he's taken his unbelievably timid Cocker Spaniel and turned him into an amazing agility dog and had a great time doing it. The local 4H dog shows were great confidence builders--very low key and encouraging. Ds got so interested though, that he started taking dog training classes in addition to his 4H meetings. Last weekend they competed in their 3rd AKC agility trial and got a 1st and 2nd place.

But, you don't have to do dogs. There are a lot of different types of clubs to choose from. I agree with the other poster who mentioned that 4H is flexible. Your Ds can explore any interest and include it in his project book for the year. He can exhibit anything he makes or does as a part of his project at the local county fair and he has the opportunity to give a public presentation at least once a year. If he's so inclined, there are leadership opportunities as officers in the club. My Ds is in his 2nd year as president and Dd is in her second year as the club reporter writing for the county newsletter. Ds was the reporter for several years before he became president. 4H has been a great educational tie in for so many things, especially public speaking and writing.

The other thing Ds has come to love is ice skating. Not your typical boy sport, but he does love it and we get a great deal on lessons b/c we homeschool.

I think fencing sounds like fun too. I hope you find something your Ds enjoys and wants to pursue.

The only "sport" my kids desire to be involved in is inline hockey (on rollerblades). There is an indoor arena doing lessons for super-cheap near us, so this works out great! Both my ds6 and my ds8 really enjoy it. :)

We are also involved in Cubscouts (and may switch to 4h when they get a bit older) and take piano lessons.