Menu

Good book series

If you're looking for more YA and fluffy trilogies, try Amanda Hocking's My Blood Approves Trilogy (vampires) and Trylle Trilogy (trolls!).

Oh, and Maggie Stiefvater's Wolves of Mercy Falls Trilogy. I only read the first book, Shiver, but it was good. Yes, I do enjoy YA paranormal :)

Edited by sparrow

The Uglies series is a good read

Divergent by Veronica Roth, the sequel is Insurgent, and the third in the series has not been released yet. These are much better than Hunger Games, so I think you would like them if you liked Hunger Games. Thought-provoking.

I second the Divergent series. Fascinating read. Another one is the Matched series by Allie Condie. A little sappy, but not Twilight-level sappy.

And now I'm off to get The Uglies series on my Kindle.

Divergent and Insurgent were quite entertaining. Any guesses on whether the author will be conventional and name the third book Emergent, or will she be more creative?

I liked Matched, but the sequel was disappointing. And the first two books in the Evil Genius series (Evil Genius, Genius Squad) were pretty good, but I hated the third.

If you want a change from YA, you might try Robertson Davies. He has a number of trilogies that are really compelling. My favorite is the Deptford Trilogy.

Not necessarily series, but in the dystopian realm, if you haven't read Ender's Game, that one is a must. The sequels are not as engaging, but the first is so good.

Handmaidens Tale by Margaret Atwood is another excellent read.

Not necessarily series, but in the dystopian realm, if you haven't read Ender's Game, that one is a must. The sequels are not as engaging, but the first is so good.

Handmaidens Tale by Margaret Atwood is another excellent read.

I love Ender's Game! I've never read the sequels, though.

I also really like Wool by Hugh Howey. It's mainly available on Kindle -- I got the entire 5 story set as a free-to-Prime loan. He also has another series that's YA outerspace scifi -- Molly Fyde -- again, it's most easily available on Kindle. He's great at writing strong female characters.

I would love to do a lit study that includes Ender's Game and Molly Fyde and maybe Enchantress From the Stars (I think that one has a sequel, too, but I've never read it).

I'll throw in another vote for the Divergent trilogy. I have "Beautiful Creatures" on my Nook, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Personally, I don't like the Black Dagger series. Lots of tea time, very little movement in the plot.

the All Souls Trilogy by Deborah Harkness

Cassandra Clare's books are good. I like The Infernal Devices more than The Mortal Instruments.

THE NIGHT CIRCUS - short chapters, well written and uplifting.

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

The Sookie Stackhouse books are a mixed bag. They started out great, but once the TV show came out they started to be different. Explicit tea times.

Divergent and Insurgent were quite entertaining. Any guesses on whether the author will be conventional and name the third book Emergent, or will she be more creative?

The unofficial title for the third book is "Detergent", the author came up with that one : D

Heh. That was the only other one-word rhyme I could come up with. But somehow I don't see Tris settling down to do laundry for her faction.

A book of Tris doing laundry would be boring indeed when all she wears is black. No need to separate anything.

I really, really liked Divergent... and felt really let down my Insurgent. Eh.

I went on a long kick with all these post-apocalyptic YA things and most of them were terrible. The Uglies is a big exception, I think, in part because it predates them all.

Most of the YA I think is really good isn't series - it's standalone.

I do sort of think Cassandra Clare is fun though. I like the Clockwork ones better than the Jace/Clary melodrama ones though. But they're all melodrama, just to clarify.

If you're looking for more YA and fluffy trilogies, try Amanda Hocking's My Blood Approves Trilogy (vampires) and Trylle Trilogy (trolls!).

Oh, and Maggie Stiefvater's Wolves of Mercy Falls Trilogy. I only read the first book, Shiver, but it was good. Yes, I do enjoy YA paranormal :)

I enjoyed the Trylle Trilogy over my beach vacation this year. I love the Wolves of Mercy Falls.

It seems the next big series is going to be the Black Dagger Brotherhood by JR Ward. Ive heard a ton about it but I can't give my personal opinion yet because I just started the first book, Dark Lover.

I will say.. its a little steamy.

I have read most of the BDB, and there is a lot of tea time. I started skipping over it. I think these are best enjoyed one or two at a time in between other reads.

Outlander

:001_wub: The eighth one is supposed to come out some time next year. Can't wait!

I really enjoyed Ender's Game, but never really could get into the sequels.

An oldie but goodie that I really enjoyed was the Landover series (Magic Kingdom for Sale Sold is the first one), by Terry Brooks.

Here's my running booklist. Not all of them are series, but enough of them are that I felt I could post the entire list. The age divisions are my arbitrary cutoffs going on what is okay for my family. Although my 12yo has read the Uglies series and the Hunger Games series.

And I had pretty italics that was lost during cutting and pasting. Sorry if it's hard to read.

Under 14

Barrie, J.M. Peter Pan

Buckley, Michael Sisters Grimm series

Carroll, Lewis Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass

Dahl, Roald EVERYTHING The Twits, James and the Giant Peach, Danny Champion of

the World, Esio Trot, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and many more.

DiTerlizzi, Tony and Holly Black Spiderwick Chronicles

Funke, Cornelia Ink Heart

Greenburg, Dan Secrets of Dripping Fang series

Lewis, C.S. Narnia Series

Mull, Brandon Fablehaven series

Osborne, Mary Pope Magic Tree House Series, Tales from the Odyssey series, Greek and

Roman Myths

Paolini, Christopher Eragon (Eldest and Brsingr are very violent)

Riordan, Rick The Olympian series (The Lightning Thief is the first of five)

The Lost Hero (Roman Mythology), and The Red Pyramid (Egyptian Mythology)

Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter Series

Russell, William F. Classic Myths to Read Aloud

Sage, Angie Magyk, Flyte, Physik, Queste, Syren

Selznick, Brian The Invention of Hugo Cabret

Scott, Michael The Alchemyst series

Snickett, Lemony A Series of Unfortunate Events

Stone, Jeff Five Ancestors series

Twain, Mark Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Over 14

Black, Holly Modern Faeries series *faeries*, White Cat The Curse Workers series *magic*

Brennan, Herbie Faerie Wars series *faeries*

Cast, P.C. and Kristen, Marked, Betrayed (beginning of series) *vampires*

Clare, Cassandra Mortal Instruments series (City of Bones is first) *steampunk*

Colfer, Eoin Artemis Fowl series *faeries, geniuses*

Collins, Suzanne Hunger Games trilogy *dystopian*

Condie, Ally Matched series *dystopian*

Cromier, Robert The Chocolate Wars

Donnelly, Jennifer Revolution *music/time travel*

Fitzpatrick, Becca Crescendo (beginning of series) *fallen angel*

Grant, Michael Gone, Hunger, Lies (Gone series) *dystopian*

Kate, Lauren Torment *fallen angel*

Machale, D.J. Pendragon series *sci-fi*

Marr, Melissa Wicked Lovely series *faeries*

Mead, Michelle Shadow Kissed (beginning of series) *vampires*

Noel, Alyson Evermore (beginning of Immortal series) *immortals*

Paolini, Christopher Eragon, Eldest, Brsingr *dragons, etc.*

Pike, Aprilynne, Wings, Spells *faeries*

Pullman, Philip His Dark Materials trilogy

Ryan, Carrie Forest of Hands and Teeth, Dead Tossed Waves *zombies*

Shan, Darren Cirque du Freak series *freaks*

Somper, Justin Vampirates series *vampires and pirates, obviously*

Steifvater, Maggie Shiver (beginning of series).*werewolves* Scorpio Races

Westerfeld, Scott Uglies series (4) *dystopian*, Midnighters series, Peeps series *vampires*

Yolen, Jane Briar Rose *faerie tale*

Zusak, Mark The Book Thief *Holocaust* and I Am Messenger *just dang brilliant*

Adult

Armstrong, Kelley Women of the Otherworld series *werewolves, vampires, faeries*

Barr, Nevada Anna Pigeon mysteries

Briggs, Patricia Mercy Thompson series, Alpha Omega series *werewolves, vampire, etc.*

Cronin, Justin The Passage *dystopian vampire*

De Lint, Charles Newford series (Onion Girl, Trader, Mystery of Grace, Moonheart,

Widdershins, Tapping the Dream Tree, The Painted Boy-many others) *brilliant modern

faerie tales with pagan elements* They can be read in any order.

Graham, Jo Black Ships, Stealing Fire *historical fiction*

Gregory, Phillipa The Other Bolyn Girl series *historical fiction*

Halloway, Tate Romancing the Dead (beginning of series) *witchcraft*

Harris, Charlaine Sookie Stackhouse series, Aurora Teagarden Series, many more

Larsson, Stieg The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series *crime*

Moran, Michelle Nefertiti, The Heretic Queen, Cleopatra’s Daughter, Madame Tussaud

*historical fiction*

Edited by Kalah

I enjoyed the Trylle Trilogy over my beach vacation this year. I love the Wolves of Mercy Falls.

I have read most of the BDB, and there is a lot of tea time. I started skipping over it. I think these are best enjoyed one or two at a time in between other reads.

:001_wub: The eighth one is supposed to come out some time next year. Can't wait!

I really enjoyed Ender's Game, but never really could get into the sequels.

An oldie but goodie that I really enjoyed was the Landover series (Magic Kingdom for Sale Sold is the first one), by Terry Brooks.

Ive only read the to the first tea "scene." I haven't read it again since.. I dont know about these steamy books. I don't think Im going to be much of a fan. I've heard Outlander also has its tea scenes.. so Im strategically placing two zombie books in between the lovey dovey stuff:tongue_smilie:

The Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger, starting with Soulless. It's often labeled YA, but I'd say it's a tad more adult...not wholly inappropriate by any means, though. Werewolves, vampires, and soul-suckers, all fashionably set in Victorian England? What's not to love. :) I love the take on the supernatural living together with high manners and whatnot. LOL Great fun and I devoured this series.

Here's my running booklist. Not all of them are series, but enough of them are that I felt I could post the entire list. The age divisions are my arbitrary cutoffs going on what is okay for my family. Although my 12yo has read the Uglies series and the Hunger Games series.

And I had pretty italics that was lost during cutting and pasting. Sorry if it's hard to read.

I like your list. Thanks for sharing. :D